Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

If not mistaking.. some to do with data being shifted around to ensure cell usage evenly, remnants of data could remain in provisioned area, some might be restored....

But if the drive is securely wiped using the controller then the data is gone as opposed to a HDD where overwritten data is recoverable - albeit not by your average Adverts.ie punter. I would trust hardware SSD wiping to defeat them also. I wouldn't trust a software drive wiper for a HDD though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Assuming a SSD is wiped, granted any 'wiper' out there can leave behind data, the data is gone. Data overwritten on a HDD can still be recovered, albeit with great difficulty due to the way the charge is stored.

Depending on the TRIM implementation it's quite difficult to recover a deleted file as opposed to a HDD where it's very easy indeed.
    but on SSD you have access(from within OS) to main part of sectors only, provisioned part is left to manage to disk firmware. I think this is where culprit is...providing someone, with advanced tools, will attempt to recover. Who would do this on random dude....

but on SSD you have access(from within OS) to main part of sectors only, provisioned part is left to manage to disk firmware. I think this is where culprit is...providing someone, with advanced tools, will attempt to recover. Who would do this on random dude....

But again the hardware wiping facility will reset all the flash cells to 0 including those in a non-provisioned portion of the drive. Hence my assertion that it's easier to wipe an SSD, albeit one which supports such a process, then relying on a software tool to do it on a HDD.

But again the hardware wiping facility will reset all the flash cells to 0 including those in a non-provisioned portion of the drive. Hence my assertion that it's easier to wipe an SSD, albeit one which supports such a process, then relying on a software tool to do it on a HDD.
    Not insisting - not expert, just discussion. If i would (IF?, no way!!!) buy second hand disk, could not care less what was on it. Would care to make sure its clean from anything...

Not insisting - not expert, just discussion. If i would (IF?, no way!!!) buy second hand disk, could not care less what was on it. Would care to make sure its clean from anything...

Just discussing also. I just think it's easier, given a H/W solution vs the S/W solution for HDDs. Is either method fool proof, probably not.

In fairness the claims that overwritten data on HDDs can be recovered may be urban legend according to at least one research paper.

• Advertisement

Just discussing also. I just think it's easier, given a H/W solution vs the S/W solution for HDDs. Is either method fool proof, probably not.

In fairness the claims that overwritten data on HDDs can be recovered may be urban legend according to one research paper.
    In any way, it would require knowledge, some soft/equipment and most ... determination/reason to do such. :D 007 case

In any way, it would require knowledge, some soft/equipment and most ... determination/reason to do such. :D 007 case

In fairness it's CIA level **** :pac: And they probably have the data anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Looking to get a controller for pc.
    Would like something solid build, compatible with most games and wireless, something like an Xbox one controller but they're pricy.
    Any thoughts and or recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,650 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

SickBoy wrote: »
    Looking to get a controller for pc.
    Would like something solid build, compatible with most games and wireless, something like an Xbox one controller but they're pricy.
    Any thoughts and or recommendations?

Xbox one is the best to be honest, no messing around with controller emulation etc as pretty much all games support it.

I've been using a dualshock PS4 controller with the DS4Windows app so it does the controller emulation but it can be a bit annoying in terms of prompts for certain games telling you the Xbox buttons (so A instead of X etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Xbox One / 360 pads are good.

But if you want to experiment, get a Switch Pro controller (62EUR on Amazon).
    Great battery life, USB-C charging & can interface with games via SteamAPI to use gyro-aiming or Flick-Stick.

* alternatively, DualShock 4 via USB - its gyro polls at 250Hz compared to Switch Pro's 60Hz.

• Advertisement

Xbox one is the best to be honest, no messing around with controller emulation etc as pretty much all games support it.

I've been using a dualshock PS4 controller with the DS4Windows app so it does the controller emulation but it can be a bit annoying in terms of prompts for certain games telling you the Xbox buttons (so A instead of X etc).
    K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Xbox One / 360 pads are good.

But if you want to experiment, get a Switch Pro controller (62EUR on Amazon).
    Great battery life, USB-C charging & can interface with games via SteamAPI to use gyro-aiming or Flick-Stick.

* alternatively, DualShock 4 via USB - its gyro polls at 250Hz compared to Switch Pro's 60Hz.

Thanks for the replies.
    As I suspected, Xbox One seems to be the recommendation then.
    Now to try and find it for the lowest price.
    Argos (€48.19) seems to be better than Amazon (£52.79) but I cannot see it available in any stores.
    Anyone know where I might pick one up for ~€50

I'd say CEX probably have loads of them.

I'd say CEX probably have loads of them.

CEX looking for €60

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Any opinions on this build? https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/czGMRk

Looking to base my new system off of it. Want it a bit cheaper probably in the CPU department. Could lose a bit of RAM too. Replacing my 1440p gaming/streaming/editing build. No rush on it though as I'm waiting for new GPUs to hit retail.

Looking to base my new system off of it. Want it a bit cheaper probably in the CPU department. Could lose a bit of RAM too. Replacing my 1440p gaming/streaming/editing build. No rush on it though as I'm waiting for new GPUs to hit retail.

AMD 4000 series is due to be launched next month, so I wouldn't commit to any cpu for now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

That's insane for a 5700XT. Especially as theres going to be loads on the secondhand market.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Well my 1st experience with Casekings.de is not going too well.

As you may or may not know I ordered a full Ryzen 9 build and everything was hunky dorey, an item that was in stock on the website was suddenly not in stock when order was placed resulting in 2 day delay...no big.

Then after talking with the good chaps on here I ordered a PSU and told them to stick it on the order that did not leave yet to save delivery charges. PSU arrived 2 days later and charged full delivery. Still no main order dispatched.....ordered the lot on the 27/8/2020.

Big box arrives this morning, and I am over the moon but I had reservations of a Lian Li case in same box. So I open the box that you would fit a small car inside and to my disgust it has nothing but my motherboard in it and box says 2 of 2!!!!

So I ring the father land and other dude on the line has very little english (not his problem) but I ask is there anyone there who can "speaka da inglish" but that dont work when the dude you are talking to, cant speaka da inglish tbh.

Rang DHL and they said that the 2nd package was sent back as there was a problem with the package.....meanwhile back in Germanyland they nhave no idea whats going on.....

So, realistically Id say I will be about a week sorting through this bollocks by email only that takes on average a day per mail at this rate. :mad:

Should have just ordered from the cheapest in the UK tbh.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »

As you may or may not know I ordered a full Ryzen 9 build and everything was hunky dorey, an item that was in stock on the website was suddenly not in stock when order was placed resulting in 2 day delay...no big.

Then after talking with the good chaps on here I ordered a PSU and told them to stick it on the order that did not leave yet to save delivery charges. PSU arrived 2 days later and charged full delivery. Still no main order dispatched.....ordered the lot on the 27/8/2020.

Big box arrives this morning, and I am over the moon but I had reservations of a Lian Li case in same box. So I open the box that you would fit a small car inside and to my disgust it has nothing but my motherboard in it and box says 2 of 2!!!!

So I ring the father land and other dude on the line has very little english (not his problem) but I ask is there anyone there who can "speaka da inglish" but that dont work when the dude you are talking to, cant speaka da inglish tbh.

Rang DHL and they said that the 2nd package was sent back as there was a problem with the package.....meanwhile back in Germanyland they nhave no idea whats going on.....

So, realistically Id say I will be about a week sorting through this bollocks by email only that takes on average a day per mail at this rate. :mad:

Should have just ordered from the cheapest in the UK tbh.

They're based in Berlin, I would be amazed if most of their staff didn't have a basic level of English. It sounds like they're just trying to fob you off. Even the jobs on their website for customer service says you must have a good understanding of English.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I had to ring them once and the guy I spoke to had better English than me.

Unless its massively more expensive I swear by Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Well,not sure what the point of posting a build in which you dont plan on buying most of the parts in it is but here goes.

Personally id go 3700X or the 4000 series equivalent. Clock speeds may improve with the 4000 series so I'd be waiting for that.

Also not sure where Asus b550 boards stand in the rankings,just check that specific model out or ask someone else here with more exp with b550 reviews.

3600Mhz ram would be a good choice to pair with ryzen,keep that if you can.Personally 16gb is fine but depending on what your editing 32gb may be beneficial. If its just your own gameplay id take the hit and stick with 16gb. 32gb of 3600Mhz ram could get expensive.

Id get better cpu cooler if can be fit in the budget,cant got wrong with noctua. A single tower/single fan from Noctua should cover it no matter what CPU you go with.

GPU you have said your waiting for the new ones. Thats a no brainer and the way to go.

As for PSU,750W should suffice for everything bar a 3090 as long as good quality. Stock of PSUs is seems to be pretty poor atm. Id probably try pick a good one up when in stock and don't wait to order it when ordering all the parts givin the stock issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Wonda-Boy wrote: »

To be fair, that sounds like DHL damaged the box, hardly case kings fault. They won't know the story until DHL deliver the box back to them and from experience with couriers they often don't let the client know there is a problem until they bring it back to them

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

They're based in Berlin, I would be amazed if most of their staff didn't have a basic level of English.

How do you come to the conclusion that because they are from Berlin they know English?

How do you come to the conclusion that because they are from Berlin they know English?

Because English is taught in 90% of schools as a compulsary foreign language and Berlin has a huge contingent of English speakers because of the amount of foreign nationals that have setup shop over the past few decades in tech etc. Most customer service roles in Berlin require at least a basic level of English. Including the job listings on the casekings website for customer service roles....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Any suggestions for a decent quality, but relatively simple/basic sets of speakers? I have a set that have been on their last legs for a year or so now that came with the family desktop in 97 or so LOL.

Thanks :) it's a bit embarassing to have been using such an old set of speakers while on such a zippy system haha.

Gumbi wrote: »
    Any suggestions for a decent quality, but relatively simple/basic sets of speakers? I have a set that have been on their last legs for a year or so now that came with the family desktop in 97 or so LOL.

Thanks :) it's a bit embarassing to have been using such an old set of speakers while on such a zippy system haha.

Have the Creative Pebble V2 and love them.
    Great value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

SickBoy wrote: »
    Have the Creative Pebble V2 and love them.
    Great value for money.

Thanks. I'm not averse to spending up to 40 or 50 quid if I'll see an appreciable benefit scaling that far above the above-linked. If not, those should be grand!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,035 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Gumbi wrote: »
    Thanks. I'm not averse to spending up to 40 or 50 quid if I'll see an appreciable benefit scaling that far above the above-linked. If not, those should be grand!

https://www.hifix.co.uk/denon-ceol-carino-n2-computer-speaker-system

I got a set of these from Richer Sounds here on Boards for €50.

Worth keeping an eye on their forum for their next open box sale.

Advertisement