Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

That's insane for a 5700XT. Especially as theres going to be loads on the secondhand market.
    Yeah I'll be waiting for that. The part picker tool isn't always best at picking the best deal anyway.
    EoinHef wrote: »
    Well,not sure what the point of posting a build in which you dont plan on buying most of the parts in it
    I prefer to start my builds off of some kind of base and go from there and this is one from a streamer I enjoy who has similar taste and usage as I do. Just a little bit hard for me to start from scratch but I may make a dedicated thread about one later when I'm closer to actually buying.
    Also not sure where Asus b550 boards stand in the rankings,just check that specific model out or ask someone else here with more exp with b550 reviews.
    Might actually grill the streamer on why they chose that mobo and see how it's holding up.
    3600Mhz ram would be a good choice to pair with ryzen,keep that if you can.Personally 16gb is fine but depending on what your editing 32gb may be beneficial. If its just your own gameplay id take the hit and stick with 16gb. 32gb of 3600Mhz ram could get expensive.
    Yeah it's unlikely I can keep above 16 with my budget but I have frequently ran out of RAM with my use cases and not even for editing. Just a browser with tons of tabs, obs, game, 2nd browser for separate tasks + a few miscellaneous applications open. It might be a bit overkill and I should probably just use less tabs :pac: Vertical tabbing is amazing and I've been using it for years but it lets you become lazy with tab management.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Well my mobo arrived and I must be out of the game too long because all the components seem to be alot heavier then when I built my last PC.

Asus Crosshair VIII Hero, seemed like the best board without spending crazy money. I originally wanted the white Asus X570 Pro but the features where a little limited. This should perform very well with the Ryzen 9 and 36GB (2x16GB) of Ryzen Certified G Skill Trident Neo Z Ram @3600mhz CL16.

[URL="[img]https://i.imgur.com/qGke7pnm.jpg[/img]"]qGke7pnm.jpg[/URL]

[URL="[img]https://i.imgur.com/tiPhrUfl.jpg[/img]"]tiPhrUfl.jpg[/URL]

[URL="[img]https://i.imgur.com/MXy84uQl.jpg[/img]"]MXy84uQl.jpg[/URL]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Could that be because of PCI E 4.0 and the extra PCB layers for traces?

Something about the traces having to be kept further apart requiring extra PCB layers. Wonder could that be wahts making it heavier. Can't remember where I read that now!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Heatsinks more than likely - have come on a bit over the last years and do add a fair bit of weight overall

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I really regret the 5700XT purchase. I've had it a year, and about half of those months have had nothing but driver issues on it. I sticked with it until it was fixed in April update, but latest update has started breaking stuff again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Are you using DDU to remove old drivers?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I've my Ryzen system a year now and my 5700 XT longer, mad I thought I only had it a few months, Google pics reminded me today. Can't remember when I purchased the 5700 but I was using it for a while in my old system before I upgraded.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I really regret the 5700XT purchase. I've had it a year, and about half of those months have had nothing but driver issues on it. I sticked with it until it was fixed in April update, but latest update has started breaking stuff again.

That card is still on the table for me if the price drops accordingly later as I won't have to deal with those drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Finally time to upgrade my 980Ti, going to take the oppurtunity to switch from my Phantom 630 case to a nice mid tower while I'm tearing everything down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I'm on a ASUS Prime X570-P. Planning on buying a PCIe4.0 SSD as I need more space. Have a RocketQ in the top slot - does it matter what slot the faster drive goes in? Planning on using it for the OS.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭BArra

depends, i have a b550 board and the top m2 slot only is capable of 4.0

check your mobo website spec

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Just use the top 1. Generally closer to the cpu and memory is always the faster slots for NVME or PCIe.

BArra wrote: »
    depends, i have a b550 board and the top m2 slot only is capable of 4.0

check your mobo website spec

That's expected on a B550, X570 they should all be PCIe 4.0 capable, but sometimes there are quirks people might be aware of. Such as the one said when I was typing :pac:

FFS ASUS Prime X570-P design strikes again. The SSD is under the GPU, not a chance a heatsink will fit.

The second M.2 is 4.0 capable, but runs off the chipset will that slow it down?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

What do you guys think a Vega 56 (Sapphire Pulse) will be worth when looking to upgrade to a 30xx series card?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,035 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

jebidiah wrote: »
    What do you guys think a Vega 56 (Sapphire Pulse) will be worth when looking to upgrade to a 30xx series card?

On Adverts? Probably get offered a swap for a GTX750 and a punctured bicycle tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

TitianGerm wrote: »
    On Adverts? Probably get offered a swap for a GTX750 and a punctured bicycle tyre.

Hahaha! Yeah I'm thinking I'll probably pass it on to a mate. Not sure some of the lads will bother going beyond 1080p and it's still a great card for that. Would asking a mate for 100 quid be too much?

jebidiah wrote: »
    180-250 to the right buyer is my guess, but it really depends on availability & how many higher-end cards flood the market.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭inthenip

Is it worth building a new PC now or holding off for a few weeks or months Bit out of the loop hardware wise but know AMD and Nvidia are way to go.

Want to go down the VR route as well.

Current rig is an I7 4770, 8GB DDR3, 290x, 512GB SSD..

inthenip wrote: »
    Is it worth building a new PC now or holding off for a few weeks or months Bit out of the loop hardware wise but know AMD and Nvidia are way to go.

Want to go down the VR route as well.

Current rig is an I7 4770, 8GB DDR3, 290x, 512GB SSD..

Defo hold off. So much new stuff on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Deffo wait. Zen 3 is to be released early next month and probably to be released soon after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Deffo wait. Zen 3 is to be released early next month and probably to be released soon after.

agreed Wotz, this is the most exciting and contested period for PC components for the budget conscious, as long as I remember this is the biggest shakeup in PC hardware since the Voodoo gfx and then the CPU revolution with the Core 2 duo

I will be waiting 3-4 months for the best bang for buck to appear ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,157 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

for the uninformed, can someone be a quick summary for someone wanting a new machine in the next 3 to 6 months and around €2k to spend. NVidia have a gew generation coming out and some will affordable but better than some high end ones currently? and the AMD chip mentioned above?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

What's the best VR headset to get these days?

inthenip wrote: »
    What's the best VR headset to get these days?

Depends really. HP reverb G2 for simulation if you have the GPU horsepower.

silverharp wrote: »
    for the uninformed, can someone be a quick summary for someone wanting a new machine in the next 3 to 6 months and around €2k to spend. NVidia have a gew generation coming out and some will affordable but better than some high end ones currently? and the AMD chip mentioned above?

3070 at about £465 is reportedly as good as the current top end 2080ti. AMD are launching new processors shortly.

Depends really. HP reverb G2 for simulation if you have the GPU horsepower.

Cheers, Yea planning on getting one when the new cards and processors are out.

I'll look into that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,157 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

3070 at about £465 is reportedly as good as the current top end 2080ti. AMD are launching new processors shortly.

I get the impression there will be a scramble initially, realistically Q1 2021?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement