Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Coyler

Only time will tell. We'll have a far better idea by the end of October. At the very least, given the budget you are in, I'd say you could make a call on your CPU by then. GPU might take a little longer to fully iron out but I strongly suspect it'll be hard to go very wrong with this up coming generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,183 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

My plan some time down the line is to get the RTX 3090 and LG OLED48CX

That's the dream team for me but very expensive one :/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

That OLED looks good. Decent size too. I have a 49" 4k inch TV and it's pretty big. Too big to use as a monitor though. Do what I do and use a monitor for browsing and really old games and then use the Tv for gaming.

Anybody uses 48" or more as their monitor and sitting up close to it? Be interesting to get your thoughts sitting close to a monitor of that size is like.

I current use a 35" widescreen monitor

• Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Headshot wrote: »
    Anybody uses 48" or more as their monitor and sitting up close to it? Be interesting to get your thoughts sitting close to a monitor of that size is like.

I current use a 35" widescreen monitor
    Last few weeks testing 50" TV @4K, new laptop only has 1xHDMI and USB-C. Split into 4 windows.
    Despite it is fitted just 10mm above desk surface it is still seem uncomfortable to look up to the top sections.

Next week should get docking and most likely will go back to 2 or 3 22-27" monitor setup - still have turn head , but at least its @ same level.

• Advertisement

Oh, desk depth is 750mm and keep ~50mm gap to the screen

Not a big difference to my desk

Mine is 80cm depth and 120cm width

Headshot wrote: »
    Not a big difference to my desk

Mine is 80cm depth and 120cm width
    And how you find? 750x1800 i like space..., well actually i need space because all mess on my desk :D

And how you find? 750x1800 i like space..., well actually i need space because all mess on my desk :D

ya love space but im always on the look out for a desk that give me more depth

Not a great selection of executive type desks around imo :(

I sit 90cm's away from a 1080p monitor but I sat the same distance away from my TV just to see and it may be doable to use as a monitor. You will be moving your head around slightly to see different parts of screen. Scalling in Windows might be a issue and text may be a bit fuzzy.

This link is a picture of my setup: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111947068&postcount=4047

• Advertisement

I sit 90cm's away from a 1080p monitor but I sat the same distance away from my TV just to see and it may be doable to use as a monitor. You will be moving your head around slightly to see different parts of screen. Scalling in Windows might be a issue and text may be a bit fuzzy.

This link is a picture of my setup: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111947068&postcount=4047
    Don't have font/picture distortion, but rising head/eyes is causing some pain after a day. Could say bit of distraction also, as you catching next window in the view without being separated by bezel/to close
    Might be i just not use to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Interesting article and video from Moore's Law Is Dead

https://www.mooreslawisdead.com/post/nvidia-s-ultimate-play

If there's truth to this then even more people will be very salty with Nvidia in the not too distant future.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,650 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Slight rant but proprietary RGB software for products is such a load of bollox. The fact you can't sync up different products with lighting unless they're all 'compatible' aka pay a licencing fee to say ASUS for aura is ridiculous stuff in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Other things to dislike about the RGB ecosystems is that the software itself is bloated to hell (Corsair iCue is >1Gb!) and there is no 1 standard for connectors - even my own system has 3-pin 5V, 5-pin 12V & proprietary 6-pin connectors!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Ha. Just two minutes ago, I was looking for ways of lighting my PC that wouldn't use software from the mobo/CPU cooler manufacturers. But then, I don't even know if you can disable modern motherboard lighting without installing that crap in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

iCue is proof of alien life. Only an alien could have designed such a user-unfriendly interface.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

There is open RGB. https://gitlab.com/CalcProgrammer1/OpenRGB

Which I think was made because the software they use for RGB is often windows only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

Is it me or are Asus Gpu's dull and boring ? :confused:

Ultrflat wrote: »
    Is it me or are Asus Gpu's dull and boring ? :confused:

All of the RTX boards look bland - starting to look like Nvidia is really putting the squeeze on AIBs.

IMHO the best AIB designs are on AMD:

1024.png
    1646758-n0.jpg
    1750589-n0.jpg
    JDZ1s7O.jpg
    0xlfIcD.jpg
    4SULrMA.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,035 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    JDZ1s7O.jpg
    0xlfIcD.jpg
    4SULrMA.jpg

Are you actually seeing the same images I'm seeing here?

• Advertisement

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Are you actually seeing the same images I'm seeing here?

I see 2 designs that actually caters to more than "male age 18-35".

And if that blue dog one performed good, I would've imported it.

"male age 18-35".

Damn I knew I was getting old. I'm out of your age bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Am I the only who who doesn't care about how they look? As long as they fit in the case, stay cool and make game go fast I'm a happy customer. The only time I look in my case is to clean it. To me it would be like painting the underside of my bed for the few times I might be looking under it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Am I the only who who doesn't care about how they look? As long as they fit in the case, stay cool and make game go fast I'm a happy customer. The only time I look in my case is to clean it. To me it would be like painting the underside of my bed for the few times I might be looking under it.

Nope, I built a new PC a few months back and purposely opted for a discreet mini black case, no glass side panel, no RGB bling inside. I'd rather it all just hidden away, the only display I'm interested is what happens on the monitor.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Nope, I built a new PC a few months back and purposely opted for a discreet mini black case, no glass side panel, no RGB bling inside. I'd rather it all just hidden away, the only display I'm interested is what happens on the monitor.

Same. Big advantage of having a case with no windows is that it also hides my awful, awful cake management.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

^That auto-correct/typo conjures up wonderful imagery!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    ^That auto-correct/typo conjures up wonderful imagery!

My computer.

Laptop-cake-tutorial.jpg

The cake is a lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

there are so many layers to this

• Advertisement

All of the RTX boards look bland - starting to look like Nvidia is really putting the squeeze on AIBs.

JDZ1s7O.jpg

This looks like it's been made out of recycled sex toys.

Advertisement