Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incorrect PSK provided for network SSID <Network Name>

Options
  • 01-01-2019 2:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

I am having issues connecting my Windows 10 laptop to my home Wi-Fi network. Was hoping someone on here could help as I've tried everything.

I recently switch to a new broadband provider and got a new router. My laptop connected fine until I changed the Wi-Fi password. Now I am getting a pop up error when trying to connect:

Incorrect PSK provided for network SSID <Network Name>

I have tried the following:

1) Forget the network and re-add it
    2) Add the network manually.
    3) Checked for new drivers and updates (there were none).
    4) Reset router to default settings.

There are other devices in the house that are connecting to the Wi-Fi with no issues, so the problem is with my laptop.

I have googled the error and tried all solutions I can find for Windows 10 but I am having the same issue.

It is worth noting that I can connect to the router using the Ethernet cable... only Wi-Fi is the issue.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭whizbang

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Pops_20

whizbang wrote: »

Thanks for your reply! Unfortunately this didn't work. Tried all steps and rebooted, same error message when trying to connect to Wi-Fi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Connect to the router with a LAN cable, login into the router and change both the SSID and password (confirm its 100% the one you want, no typos) and save your details - then reboot your router and try to connect again

Maybe try the following

1 -> Change security settings on the router, ie WPA(TKIP) or WPA2(AES)

or

2 -> Go to wifi properties off the wireless Nic itself.
    Define the wireless mode
    ie 802.11G / B etc

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Pops_20

I connected to the router via cable and changed the SSID and password. Then I rebooted the router.

This changed the issue slightly. I am no longer getting the pop up message that says "Incorrect PSK provided for network SSID...", but I still cannot connect to the Wi-Fi.

I checked that the properties of the Wireless adapter are the same as my personal laptop which can connect to the Wi-Fi no problem. Rebooted my laptop and tried to connect again. No luck. The pop-up is gone but still can't connect.

I think the problem is with the laptop since every other device in the house can connect to the Wi-Fi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Pops_20 wrote: »
    3) Checked for new drivers and updates (there were none).
    As you have noted, other devices connect OK - point not router, rather laptop issue.

Try to install driver per-new on device

For this go:
    1. In Device manager, right-click you WiFi NIC, select Properties.
    2. in Properties window select Driver tab
    2.1 Driver Details, take note of driver location and name. Go to C:\Windows\System32\drivers and locate driver(s) - rename by adding .OLD (????????.sys.OLD) at the end of file.
    OR
    2.2 Uninstall driver altogether.

3. connect laptop with Ethernet cable and
    3.1 allow windows update to install driver
    OR
    3.2 go to NIC/laptop manufacturers site , download and install driver manually.

See if helps.

Advertisement