Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

191 reg cars...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Bigger.
    Bigger boot, more room behind driver due to vertical space.
    Higher for lifting kids.
    Way way handier for a big double buggy
    Similar money. Mondeo lot dearer.

Driving a crossover as I do big mileage and wife doesn't, so I took her low mileage kuga for 2 years to average out.

Far prefer a normal car myself but such is life.

My wife won't notice dynamics or weight or cornering. Neither do 80 to 90% of drivers.

I nearly put kuga in ditch twice coming from 5 series. Awful in a bend.

But I can still see why they sell well.

An estate would be the answer really. Not a hope in hell of my wife driving any estate in that price bracket (30k new).

Kuga is an extreme example too. Very high and no need for it. Her ateca much lower and drives better for it.

How does the ride comfort of the Ateca compare to the Kuga????.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Old diesel wrote: »
    How does the ride comfort of the Ateca compare to the Kuga????.

Slightly hard to compare as have titanium x kuga with 18s. Ateca se with 17s I assume. Kuga 5 year old, ateca new.

Ateca better in a corner. I attribute to kuga unnecessary height.

Kuga nicer on n road due to higher seating.

Kuga does that whole rise and drop of nose accelerating and breaking. Should be smoother.

Road noise same. Which not boding well for new ateca

• Registered Users Posts: 7,435 ✭✭✭JoeA3

For anyone with small kids, the Tiguan/Ateca/Kuga is a no brainier. A Focus hatch or the likes is just too damn small now for the amount of gear you need to be carrying. Plus bending down and into a low back seat to lift a child in and out is a back breaker. A higher vehicle is a back saver. This is why these cars are selling in huge numbers.

People buying these cars don’t give a fiddlers about dynamics, cornering or weight. In fact, The infotainment system would probably rank well ahead of any of those criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭appledrop

So my evening tally- Another Toyota CHR, BMW 5 series, Mazda 2, Hyundai Tuscon + Hyundai i30 & a pick up truck like the one a builder/council would use. No idea about make or model!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭appledrop

That's 10 I've seen today + none have been the same ones so definitely loads on road now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Saw 191-D-4xx Corsa on the motorway on the way home. I have seen 10year old tractors with less dirt on it.

It was borderline impressive to get a car that dirty in 3 week I had to take a second look to make sure I was reading it right

• Registered Users Posts: 51,215 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What's more impressive is someone still bought a brand new Corsa despite that model being launched way back in 2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,863 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

RedorDead wrote: »
    34 so far month to date compared to 37 at same stage last year. Poor for such a nice looking car.

Its only a brand new model will take a while for it to go up in numbers.
    bazz26 wrote: »
    What's more impressive is someone still bought a brand new Corsa despite that model being launched way back in 2006.

Opel are doing good deals at the moment and they also had the special edition 120 models too.
    I seen a few 191 Insignia's on the road today as well as a 191 red Hyundai Santa Fe outside of Tesco a couple of 191 Clio's one with really nice wheels both were grey do and a two VW T-Rocs one blue and one in Orange oh and a new model ok revamped model Renault Kadjar. I think I preferred it before the revamp the front anyway.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭GusGus

I was a little surprised to see the Clio sales are up with a new model only a few months away . I guess Renault might be pushing these or have they off loaded a few to rental companies .

I think that SUV’s are great if you want that level of space or if you are putting kids in and out constantly.

But if you are single or not need that space and enjoy driving then you can’t beat the agility of a small hatch or the sheer comfort of a large saloon depending on need and taste .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,771 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

GusGus wrote: »
    I was a little surprised to see the Clio sales are up with a new model only a few months away . I guess Renault might be pushing these or have they off loaded a few to rental companies .

I think that SUV’s are great if you want that level of space or if you are putting kids in and out constantly.

But if you are single or not need that space and enjoy driving then you can’t beat the agility of a small hatch or the sheer comfort of a large saloon depending on need and taste .

If you're single or do not need that that much space. ....what on earth do you need a large saloon for ? Your life circumstances will dictate that soon enough : in the meantime buy a 2 door sports car and live a little. Or a lot :)

You have your whole life to drive a Mundano.....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,824 ✭✭✭✭elperello

galwaytt wrote: »
    If you're single or do not need that that much space. ....what on earth do you need a large saloon for ? Your life circumstances will dictate that soon enough : in the meantime buy a 2 door sports car and live a little. Or a lot :)

Well for a start not all single people are young!

I agree with you that everyone should go through a "sports car" phase. Lot's of variables dictate whether that is when you are young or not.

Even for a younger person a saloon car can make sense. For instance if their job takes them around the country with high mileage. The comfort and ability to carry sports equipment ie. golf clubs etc. will also be factors.

"Need and taste" are the key there.

I have a brother whose single.

Has always chosen to drive big comfortable saloons and hatchbacks.

Had Lexus V8 x 2.

Currently in a high specification Skoda Superb 2.0 TDI 150 ps with DSG.

Likes the Skoda because it's very comfortable, the diesel and auto work very well to give a very refined car.

He also thinks it's an attractive car.

He could easily work with a sports car but he likes a smooth ride in a car that gives a smooth relaxed drive.

The "phase" for my brother BTW was going 4 litre V8 on his first LS when he had always driven 2 litre or less cars. That was to be a do this once thing.

Ended up buying a 2nd V8 after a brief unsuccessful stint in a 5 series in between the two Lexus V8s.

He was a real Lexus fanboy when he had the 2nd "best cars on the road - amazing cars - wouldnt have a word said against them"

Nothing got to do with need. I certainly don’t need one but I still like to drive one . I just got a Volvo s90. Some might say it’s boring but I just love the design , the drive and it’s size . Iv no doubt that I’ll go back to a 2 door coupe at some point but I do long journeys on a regular basis and I love the comfort .

I also like the s90 because it isn’t an A6 or 5 series . I would of bought an Alfa but I couldn’t face loosing my pants totally !!

I guess it’s all individual taste . Takes all sorts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,260 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

^The S90 is a beautiful car, it’s definitely on my list of cars I’m going to own.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I'm at the stage of my life where I should be in a sports car. Thirties, single, no kids, money to throw at something nice and all I see is compromise with a 2 door coupe. Unless its an s-class coupe or a 6 series or the likes, sports cars in general sacrifice comfort, space, noise and ride quality. I just can't bring myself to put up with any of those for a cooler looking car. I've looked at GT86s, F-Types, R8s, 997s, Vantages, Mustangs, the list goes on. But the interiors are far from luxurious or super comfortable (and the nicer the car, the older it is in my budget and the interiors are just downright cheap/outdated); I think i'd find so many things irritating about them in the long run, I just couldn't live with them every day.

Large german saloons and flagship coupes tick virtually every box for a road car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

I was a little surprised to see the Clio sales are up with a new model only a few months away . I guess Renault might be pushing these or have they off loaded a few to rental companies.

Renault dealers heavily pre-reg their units. They make their nut on registration numbers. They get a big wedge off the distributor when they reg a certain amount. So the dealer pre-reg's as many as he thinks he can flog as nearly new/1 owner with a handful of KM's at a discount (that he probably would have given anyway on an order)

So most of them are probably still on the forecourts. White stock probably went to rentals though...

Ms

Seen a grey 191 BMW 5 series today 191-KE-351

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭ofcork

Saw a lovely 191 D reg white Q7 in cork this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,343 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I'm at the stage of my life where I should be in a sports car. Thirties, single, no kids, money to throw at something nice and all I see is compromise with a 2 door coupe. Unless its an s-class coupe or a 6 series or the likes, sports cars in general sacrifice comfort, space, noise and ride quality. I just can't bring myself to put up with any of those for a cooler looking car. I've looked at GT86s, F-Types, R8s, 997s, Vantages, Mustangs, the list goes on. But the interiors are far from luxurious or super comfortable (and the nicer the car, the older it is in my budget and the interiors are just downright cheap/outdated); I think i'd find so many things irritating about them in the long run, I just couldn't live with them every day.

Large german saloons and flagship coupes tick virtually every box for a road car.

After years of driving 2 door, I find everything up to and including a 5 series annoying due to having a shorter door and the very restricted opening width that goes with that.
    For me, large coupes are where it's at, not needing the rear doors.
    That said, I'd kill for an F type, might not be the large coupe but I'd live with all the compromises for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Saw a nice white 508 on the road in Laois at the weekend. Didn't think they were out on the roads yet. Looked nice.

• Advertisement
    Ms

Seen a new Toyota Rav4 today in silver new model. At first I was not sure what it was thought it was a Peugeot then realised it was the new Rav4. Barely out of the showroom I woud say and paving slaps were being but in the back of it. It was Kildare reg 1049. No noise from it at all when it drove in and then when it left

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

Saw this Couldn’t help but not reply as your criteria and situation is very similar to me.

I’m single, in my 30’s and driving 997 S Daily, lovely place to be, interior not too dated and fitted a Denison system for my Bluetooth etc. I find it more comfortable and less thrashy than my previous mk7 Golf R.
    Did a very intensive weekend driving trip around Scotland..not one complaint of back ache or “I getting sick of this feeling”.
    Actually quite practical when you know how to use the space..sure did my Christmas shopping in it and managed to fit it all in. Ferried my niece around a few times too.

Out of all your suggestions, I would revisit the 997 S and give it a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭sk8board

How are the full month new sales numbers looking for January?

sk8board wrote: »

Today is still January.

Might be out tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 14,824 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I saw my first new Ford Focus today.
    It was a lovely shade of blue with blacked out grille.
    Very nice looking car.

https://www.ford.ie/cars/new-focus/gallery

sk8board wrote: »

Anyone got them ? Please ...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,215 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Today is still January so figures are not going to available. Maybe tomorrow or the next few days.

Ms

Anyone got them ? Please ...

Patience is a virtue. Whats the rush? That's the problem these days everyone is impatient and wants everything now.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

I saw a white 191 M2 competition pack this evening. No pictures sadly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭helen87

elperello wrote: »
    I saw my first new Ford Focus today.
    It was a lovely shade of blue with blacked out grille.
    Very nice looking car.

https://www.ford.ie/cars/new-focus/gallery

i bought a focus st-lin in blue. love it, it has been nicely updated from the last version.

Advertisement