Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BDO Lake World Championship

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Rikand wrote: »
    Raging Karolina is gone :pac:

Not even an after match interview. Probably hasn't a word of English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Warrens daughter was unbearable last year

I'll never get why players apologise if they win a leg because the other has missed a shedload at double to finish. Tough shít!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Bob Harris wrote: »
    I'll never get why players apologise if they win a leg because the other has missed a shedload at double to finish. Tough shít!

the difference between the Lakeside and the Ally Ally Pally Oi Oi Oi

the difference between the Lakeside and the Ally Ally Pally Oi Oi Oi

They do it in the PDC aplenty too. If you miss 9 darts at a double you don't deserve to win the leg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭Tarzann

Why is the darts split between men and women anyway, i mean i can't see any actual physical advantage for men in the game, so why not abolish the women's world Championship let them qualify on merit and if they can't do it tough luck, it's all about equality these days.

Chris Mason tweeted the following research paper a while back in response to this topic:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5313487/

Basically women are worse on average than men at throwing things, with all other factors (participation levels etc) being equal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭munster87

Bob Harris wrote: »
    They do it in the PDC aplenty too. If you miss 9 darts at a double you don't deserve to win the leg.

If you’re giving your opponent 9 darts at a double before you get to a finish it’s not great either!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭munster87

McGeeney hit a total of 35 in his first 7 darts of that leg?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

Hes world no 1
    Jesus christ

Hes doing q school
    Be lucky to get a card
    Infact i cant see how he does

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,377 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

sc86 wrote: »
    Hes world no 1
    Jesus christ

Hes doing q school
    Be lucky to get a card
    Infact i cant see how he does

Thats why I questioned the ranking system....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I've been impressed with some of the outsiders that I have seen - Whitehead, Unterbuchner, Cameron and Baker....but when the big pressure comes on now, will they be able to cope?

Ally Dick wrote: »
    I've been impressed with some of the outsiders that I have seen - Whitehead, Unterbuchner, Cameron and Baker....but when the big pressure comes on now, will they be able to cope?

Unterbuchner hardly an outsider? Hes been super consistent a few years now, must of been 3rd Fav pre tournament? He has proved he has balls plenty times.

Cameron is playing great but could see him capitulate under pressure.

Unterbucner is 5th seed
    Hardly outsider?
    Very solid player
    Had good grand slam also
    Made 1/4 or semi in lakeside last year also

Unterbucner is 5th seed
    Hardly outsider?
    Very solid player
    Had good grand slam also
    Made 1/4 or semi in lakeside last year also

I didn't think he was great in the first round but improved a lot today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭boomdocker

i'd fancy Unterbunchner to get to the final now , he'd give Durrant a game I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭millhouse

Might be stating the obvious but Unterbuchner hit the big shots today at crucial times. Warren was often waiting on a double and Unterbuchner would take out a 3 dart outshots. He did that on 4 or 5 occassions. His 4-0 win was actually much closer than it reads. He needs to score heavier as his finishing is good. If he can do that he's a contender. Lakeside semi finalist last year and Grand Slam 1/4 finalist this year against best of the Pdc boys. Was the best of the BDO players this year. Hes also won a couple of bdo events during the year . In the top half of the draw away from Durrant until the final. Has Whitehead and Waites to contend with in his half of the draw.

He reminds me of james wade in a way
    Hes not spectacular but nothing fazes him and he doesnt buckle and miss loads of doubles
    He will punish mistakes
    Poor first round but looked great today for bdo standards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,377 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

He reminds me of james wade in a way
    Hes not spectacular but nothing fazes him and he doesnt buckle and miss loads of doubles
    He will punish mistakes
    Poor first round but looked great today for bdo standards

He outwaded wade at the grand slam

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Why is the darts split between men and women anyway, i mean i can't see any actual physical advantage for men in the game, so why not abolish the women's world Championship let them qualify on merit and if they can't do it tough luck, it's all about equality these days.
    Men on average possess superior hand eye coordination and spacial awarnesss kills to women.

It's why they dominate the likes of darts and snooker. They have the greater potential to become good players from the outset.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Veenstra is super frustrating to watch, you can tell he's a decent player but he blows so hot and cold.

I fancy Waites to have a chance if his doubling improves. He's probably the most consistent scorer in the BDO.

• Advertisement

Men on average possess superior hand eye coordination and spacial awarnesss kills to women.

It's why they dominate the likes of darts and snooker. They have the greater potential to become good players from the outset.

Is there any evidence or study's proving the superior hand eye coordination? I'd believe it though, probably a skill picked up from our hunter gatherer days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Is there any evidence or study's proving the superior hand eye coordination? I'd believe it though, probably a skill picked up from our hunter gatherer days.

Yes, men consistently have to aim for the wee hole and that translates to other activities lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

has Waites ever gone through q school? he looks like he's got the game and against better opposition could improve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭boomdocker

peteeeed wrote: »
    has Waites ever gone through q school? he looks like he's got the game and against better opposition could improve

apparently not, but he has said he is going this year. Has a solid game and And is a 2 time BDO champ after all - you'd think if he got through q school and went at it full time he'd be well capable

Plus he's the only BDO player to win the Grand Slam, was runner up as well - so he's got game - was a few years ago, but still..

Also, I think I read somewhere that he's working a 9-5 job, you'd imagine he'd have scope for improvement if he went full time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Is it just me or is some of the camera work shocking??

They seem to be limited to a few cameras on the dartboard, fore example in one game there was a checkout of 156, 2 treble 20's were hit but the angle the camera was at you didn't know if the double 18 was hit until it came to the wide angle view.

Also they don't seem to have a straight on view of the treble 20, the angle seems to be low down

Maybe I'm just spoiled by the PDC camera work :D

Other than that the coverage seems to be good so far and the highlights of the days action is on straight after the evening session finishes on Eurosport so get to catch up on the afternoon session

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

boomdocker wrote: »
    apparently not, but he has said he is going this year. Has a solid game and And is a 2 time BDO champ after all - you'd think if he got through q school and went at it full time he'd be well capable

Plus he's the only BDO player to win the Grand Slam, was runner up as well - so he's got game - was a few years ago, but still..

Also, I think I read somewhere that he's working a 9-5 job, you'd imagine he'd have scope for improvement if he went full time

He was throwing some lovely darts last night.

I agree if he went full time he could only improve further, it would be great if he could get a year off from his job and give the Darts full attention for a year and see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭millhouse

He's a carpenter.

Lady's day today lads..wahey!

Sin-t-tulo.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭Tarzann

Male and female athletes differed significantly. The component approach yielded higher scores for male than for female participants. As expected, with increasing age qualitative and quantitative performance of male and female athletes improved. These results suggest that there are gender-specific differences in qualitative throwing performance, but not necessarily in quantitative throwing performance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Tarzann wrote: »

Male and female athletes differed significantly. The component approach yielded higher scores for male than for female participants. As expected, with increasing age qualitative and quantitative performance of male and female athletes improved. These results suggest that there are gender-specific differences in qualitative throwing performance, but not necessarily in quantitative throwing performance.

This is very interesting and makes a lot of sense as to why women are not at the same standard as men. However with significant practice a woman could get good enough to complete on the mens tour.

Advertisement