Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a used XR tomorrow need help (thanks)

• 01-01-2019 1:33pm

To make sure the phone is legit all I need to do is check the IMEI number is that it?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

To make sure the phone is legit all I need to do is check the IMEI number is that it?

Where are you buying from?
    Ask for receipt?
    Ask why selling?
    Ask it in insured through the network?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Stylesclash07

make sure they are signed out of iCloud

Thanks for the replies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,324 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

100% make sure their is a recipt & it matches the IMEI walk away if not. There's a ton of new stolen iphones out there due to a load of breakins in November/December. If they can't produce a receipt assume it's stolen. It may not be blacklisted yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

To make sure the phone is legit

You can't as any phone can be reported stolen after the sale. Buy from a shop if this is a concern to you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

100% make sure their is a recipt & it matches the IMEI walk away if not. There's a ton of new stolen iphones out there due to a load of breakins in November/December. If they can't produce a receipt assume it's stolen.

Wouldn’t the majority of these just be paper weights with iClouds? I’d be more worried about upgrades and bill defaults

godtabh wrote: »
    Wouldn’t the majority of these just be paper weights with iClouds? I’d be more worried about upgrades and bill defaults

They were stolen from shops, all brand new and sealed straight out of stock rooms and mainly iPhones

100% make sure their is a recipt & it matches the IMEI walk away if not. There's a ton of new stolen iphones out there due to a load of breakins in November/December. If they can't produce a receipt assume it's stolen. It may not be blacklisted yet.

If they havre no receipt should I got just stay away he’s looking for €550 for iPhone XR red

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

You'd be mental to buy one without a receipt and confirmation the receipt is for the phone you're buying.

RossieMan wrote: »
    You'd be mental to buy one without a receipt and confirmation the receipt is for the phone you're buying.

Yeah it’s to good to be true I suppose

• Advertisement

If they havre no receipt should I got just stay away he’s looking for €550 for iPhone XR red

The phones not that old, if they can't produce a receipt it's dodge. The price should already be ringing a few bells.
    Don't wait to meet him to check is there a receipt. Make sure it matches the IMEI.
    That's just to establish its heritage, then you've to worry about checking all the other things a used phone could have went through before it met you like a swim or a tumble.
    There's a hundred ways to get scammed here. It's too cheap, might get lucky and it's an unwanted gift, should still have a gift receipt though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

This depends on the seller.

kceire wrote: »
    This depends on the seller.

Adverts

https://www.adverts.ie/16996301

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

You’d have to be crazy to even inquire about this going by his feedback. I’d stay well away from this, I wouldn’t ever buy off someone with more than 1-2 negative feedback or no feedback whatsoever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Something funny going on there look at the other adverts, the same phone a gold one is after being sold twice, dig into the sold ads and who bought them and you'll see what I mean.

https://www.adverts.ie/16994197

This one looks dodgy also what do you think

I’ll wait till next Christmas to buy a new iPhone full price I’m doing Christmas club €40 a week with the family so that’s €2000 I’ll buy an XR2 full price treat myself

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Glad you're walking away from this one.

The mind tries to convince us it's a real bargain but in reality we know its dodgy as fupp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

What phone do you have currently? would it be worthwhile buying something like a OnePlus 6 or similar? Buying grey-market stuff on adverts or sticking yourself into debt for a luxury good is foolish.

I used to be someone who bought the newest iPhone every year without fail, however the iPhone 7 Plus was the last I've bought and I'll probably skip 2019 too if the iPhone has another tock year as presumed it will.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Good, they’re finally waking up to the fact that they cant keep driving up prices and expecting people to fork out an extortionate amount of money for a phone...I’m a loyal Apple fan but if they keep going the way they are they’re going to price more and more people out of their ecosystem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

No box is a red flag. Seller doesn’t mention charger either so that adds concern. I’d step away from this one.

Advertisement