Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a new build house - some questions

• 01-01-2019 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all, I’ve just paid a booking deposit on a new build. The estate agent told me during the viewing that it is being sold “as you see it here”.

I have a couple of questions (which I should have asked the estate agent at the time but I’d like to get some opinions as well)

1. Does this mean I can’t get someone to do a snag list and have it any snags fixed. This isn’t a whole load of houses launched in a phase, the builder just launches one or two at a time as and when they are fully completed.

2. I presume a snag list and a survey are 2 different reports. Can the 1 person do both for me

3. How soon should I get this done (presuming there is nothing stopping me getting it done ASAP)

4. How do I get access to the property to get this done. Is the estate agent obliged to come meet us with keys to get in during this period.

Any advice or opinions would be much appreciated 😃

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hi all, I’ve just paid a booking deposit on a new build. The estate agent told me during the viewing that it is being sold “as you see it here”.

I have a couple of questions (which I should have asked the estate agent at the time but I’d like to get some opinions as well)

1. Does this mean I can’t get someone to do a snag list and have it any snags fixed. This isn’t a whole load of houses launched in a phase, the builder just launches one or two at a time as and when they are fully completed.

2. I presume a snag list and a survey are 2 different reports. Can the 1 person do both for me

3. How soon should I get this done (presuming there is nothing stopping me getting it done ASAP)

4. How do I get access to the property to get this done. Is the estate agent obliged to come meet us with keys to get in during this period.

1. You always snag a new build purchase.
    2. Typically surveys are not done on new builds as they are just constructed so will come with certs of compliance with current regulations and would have been constructed under the new amendment building control regulations.
    3. Snag is carried out when the builder says it’s complete. It may not be complete to your standard and that’s where the snag will
    Pick up on these things.
    4. Through the builder or estate agent. They will have a process in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Johnnicholson

kceire wrote: »
    1. You always snag a new build purchase.
    2. Typically surveys are not done on new builds as they are just constructed so will come with certs of compliance with current regulations and would have been constructed under the new amendment building control regulations.
    3. Snag is carried out when the builder says it’s complete. It may not be complete to your standard and that’s where the snag will
    Pick up on these things.
    4. Through the builder or estate agent. They will have a process in place.

Thanks very much for your help. Just to clarify, even if the builder is selling the house “as you see it” we can still snag?

I’ve been reading up on whether a survey is necessary or not, getting conflicting opinions though so I was thinking of erring on the side of caution given the value of house compared to cost of survey!

Who can I get to snag? What would their professional title be? Thanks a mil and sorry for the questions!

• Administrators Posts: 53,955 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Sold as seen here is just them saying that they aren’t going to entertain you asking for any real modifications during the build. You are buying that exact spec of house and that’s exactly what they will give you.

They will probably let you change superficial things, like changing kitchen cupboards or adding an extra socket, but don’t be asking for an extra window, a room to be made a bit bigger, boilers to be placed in different spots etc.

You of course still snag it to ensure there’s no issues.

Thanks very much for your help. Just to clarify, even if the builder is selling the house “as you see it” we can still snag?

I’ve been reading up on whether a survey is necessary or not, getting conflicting opinions though so I was thinking of erring on the side of caution given the value of house compared to cost of survey!

Who can I get to snag? What would their professional title be? Thanks a mil and sorry for the questions!

The survey looks for major defects and planning issues.

I think you need to explain better here. Are you buying a house in a new build estate?

The house you looked at, was this a show house or the actual house you are buying?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Johnnicholson

kceire wrote: »
    The survey looks for major defects and planning issues.

I think you need to explain better here. Are you buying a house in a new build estate?

The house you looked at, was this a show house or the actual house you are buying?

kceire, it’s a new build house in a new phase of an existing estate. The builder is selling them through the estate agent in small lots. E.g. one is completed, sold, on to the next for completion 2-3 weeks later. We looked at the actual house, not a show house.

• Advertisement

kceire, it’s a new build house in a new phase of an existing estate. The builder is selling them through the estate agent in small lots. E.g. one is completed, sold, on to the next for completion 2-3 weeks later. We looked at the actual house, not a show house.

Then you snag that house. Check the detail on what exactly you are buying.
    The stagger will look for visual defects to be snagged.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭tradesman

Estate agent saying sold as seen is telling you that the builders are not making any changes whatsoever. You can try & ask for small extras like extra sockets, tiles etc all at your expense. It all depends what stage the build is at & if they are accommodating or not.
    1) You can have a snag list done - this is standard practice.

2) You don't need a survey done as said by kc it will all be signed off as building compliant.

3) The estate agent / builder will let you know when the property is ready to snag - bear in mind that there could be 250 - 350 faults in the so called "ready" house.

4) There will be someone onsite to let you access the property on the agreed date.

Hope this helps!

Advertisement