Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Market 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,386 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

400k employees in the public sector agreed to work between 2 and 3 hours extra a week, alongside 25% (average) paycuts. They're having strips torn out of them for a 1.75% pay restoration last Monday. The government have said it is unfeasible to restore hours for people as it would be too expensive (its suggested the 2.5 hours (average) a week extra that people work would cost 700 million to unwind....... Thats just the public sector. The private sector took pay cuts too- however, where the public sector took larger paycuts and agreed longer hours- the private sector, in general, didn't cut pay as much- but were far faster to make people redundant- a different philosophy was followed in the public and private sectors.

The CSO report following the last downturn suggested that pensioners and social welfare recipients were the least affected by the last downturn............

a highly subjective comment, speaking to some welfare recipients reveals something more disturbing, when you re heavily dependent on public systems and services to survive, and funding to those systems and services is severely cut, expect big problems, this is what we re currently experiencing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

400k employees in the public sector agreed to work between 2 and 3 hours extra a week, alongside 25% (average) paycuts. They're having strips torn out of them for a 1.75% pay restoration last Monday. The government have said it is unfeasible to restore hours for people as it would be too expensive (its suggested the 2.5 hours (average) a week extra that people work would cost 700 million to unwind....... Thats just the public sector. The private sector took pay cuts too- however, where the public sector took larger paycuts and agreed longer hours- the private sector, in general, didn't cut pay as much- but were far faster to make people redundant- a different philosophy was followed in the public and private sectors.

The CSO report following the last downturn suggested that pensioners and social welfare recipients were the least affected by the last downturn............

I hope your not including the pension levy in that 25% as that is a contribution to a defined benefit. I dont think many if any took that much of a cut can you quantify that or give proof of 25% cuts in the p.s also the private sector took way more cuts than the public sector as in a load of employees in the private sector lost their job and took 100% pay cut the live register flew up in that period and not one job was lost in the public sector. So have a little bit more balance in your posts. The public sector was largely shielded by the down turn not to mention their pension remained at the same value where as the private sector pension schemes where decimated. They are having strips torn out of them now because they were shielded in the worst of times and they are now kicking and screaming and think they should be first in line for increases when they should not be. Also pay increase via increments continued all the way through the downturn.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

people in the private sector dont tend to have as short a working day as PS, so agreeing to extra hours is just getting them to close to a normal working day.

beauf wrote: »
    Thats a different worry than worrying about feeding and clothing and housing the kids.

yeah maybe but to say they dont need to worry about money is daft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Cyrus wrote: »
    yeah maybe but to say they dont need to worry about money is daft.

I think you needed to read between the lines on that one.

When talk about worrying about money they tend to mean people worrying about the basics. Someone with a 700k property may also have problems but they could downsize both their housing and lifestyle.

• Advertisement

people in the private sector dont tend to have as short a working day as PS, so agreeing to extra hours is just getting them to close to a normal working day.

People take compromises to work in public or private. You can't cherry pick the best bits and compare them. Someone in the public sector might have compromised on more interesting and better promotion opportunities, for a better work/life balance. Someone in the private has made similar choices to stay in the private. Risk vs reward being one of them.

This is the problem when you retrospectively downgrade people terms and conditions, after a long time in service.

I think you needed to read between the lines on that one.

When talk about worrying about money they tend to mean people worrying about the basics. Someone with a 700k property may also have problems but they could downsize both their housing and lifestyle.

so could someone buying a 400k property, you think next stop after that is homelessness and not being able to feed your kids?

so could someone buying a 400k property, you think next stop after that is homelessness and not being able to feed your kids?

Basically anyone with property they can't afford has a choice to give it up and live somewhere cheaper. Granted, not that simple as causes as many issues as is it solves. Which is why is a very last resort.

I don't really know where you are going with this.

Basically anyone with property they can't afford has a choice to give it up and live somewhere cheaper. Granted, not that simple as causes as many issues as is it solves. Which is why is a very last resort.

I don't really know where you are going with this.

its not that difficult to piece it together,

a poster made the distinction between people buying up to 400k and those paying over 700k. Those buying over 700k dont have to worry about money. I made the point that of course they do.

your argument was that they dont have to worry about clothing and feeding their children and the option was open to them to change their lifestyle.

I said the same was true of those buying at 400k.

Im not sure what cohort, previously unmentioned, that you are referring to now.

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Talking to a Solicitor today as I am putting my house up for sale this week or next. Cork City, 3 bed semi.

Anyway shooting the breeze and talking about the market she something very interesting... house up to the 350k'ish mark are doing ok and people are still buying. €350k-700k are slow to sell.....but houses over €700k are doing ok as well and are selling.

What this is saying (imo) is first time buyers your average Joe can afford up to 350-400 and people buying over 700k are not worried about money, but its the squeezed middle again are struggling either get deposits together or the borrow limits are holding them back.

Had to go back and see the full context of that. Seems like I took it out of context. Thats the risk when you quote something a few pages old.

His point was really about the affordability of housing. Up to 350 is in reach of the average joe (whatever that means to people) based on the current rules.
    After 700k you're probably not constrained by those rules. Either you have a lot of cash or on very high incomes. But the rules apply regardless of the price point so I don't really agree with him.

I assume his point is without those rules people could stretch to more than that. But thats what the rules are designed to prevent.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭99problems1

We had one 10 years ago, did it solve everything?

I reckon people were happier in the year or two after the crash yes.

I'm sure there's many people who were damn glad looking back they got to spend quality time with their kids instead of being stuck in an office all day in the ratrace.

You know, I got my first insurance in a car as a teenager in 2010 and it was manageable, still expensive. Nowadays you'd have to double it.

I rented in college for 80 a week. Now I see ads for students for 650 a month and it's only allowed Monday to Friday.

So yes, I think people were much happier back then. Of course the lads who had big loans they could never afford weren't.

There's an obsession on job creation in this country. It's obsessive.
    and reiterated the Government's warning from earlier this year that, in that eventuality, "up to 50,000 jobs would not be created in our economy that would otherwise be created".

They're not even talking about current jobs, they're talking about "potential jobs not being created."

Why do we need so many? Where are these people going to live? Where are they going to go to school? How are they going to get to work on overcrowded/non existent buses or trains?

We have enough jobs. We're at high employment. People who want to work can work. Employees can't find staff there's so many jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

I'm sure there's many people who were damn glad looking back they got to spend quality time with their kids instead of being stuck in an office all day in the ratrace.

You know, I got my first insurance in a car as a teenager in 2010 and it was manageable, still expensive. Nowadays you'd have to double it.

I rented in college for 80 a week. Now I see ads for students for 650 a month and it's only allowed Monday to Friday.

So yes, I think people were much happier back then. Of course the lads who had big loans they could never afford weren't.

They're not even talking about current jobs, they're talking about "potential jobs not being created."

Why do we need so many? Where are these people going to live? Where are they going to go to school? How are they going to get to work on overcrowded/non existent buses or trains?

We have enough jobs. We're at high employment. People who want to work can work. Employees can't find staff there's so many jobs.

I've seen some moronic waffle on Boards over the year, but this one takes the biscuit.

You were a kid who was insulated from the recession because you didn't need a job or to buy a house. If you want to live somewhere cheap with no jobs, just move to Russia & try not to wish another catastrophe on the rest of us.

you are off your chops :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭beaz2018

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/buying-a-new-home-this-autumn-here-s-what-s-coming-1.4006228

Alot of schemes launching in Dublin especially it seems - the prices are very high though - is there really a market for all these expensive developments?

beaz2018 wrote: »
    Is there really a market for all these expensive developments?

yes there is if they are priced appropriately for the area, although they arent all new launches, Albany in Killiney is listed there and that was finished 2 years ago. They just didnt sell too many because its killiney prices in a location thats a little too close to ballybrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/buying-a-new-home-this-autumn-here-s-what-s-coming-1.4006228

Alot of schemes launching in Dublin especially it seems - the prices are very high though - is there really a market for all these expensive developments?

Time will tell. There was an article in the independent the other day about a study done in Cork that said construction costs are now so high that in order for apartments to be financially viable, a 2 bed would need to sell for between €370k and €490k at the very least. And 2-bed build to rents would need to rent for between €2.5k and €3k a month minimum. It's crazy.

I'm guessing Dublin is very similar that prices have to be very expensive in order to make most new developments viable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭beaz2018

I just dont know who these developments are targeting. You have to scroll for a long time through that list to find any (house not apartment) that is help to buy applicable. Maybe there is a vast market of people on high wages or trader uppers that I am underestimating.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

I just dont know who these developments are targeting. You have to scroll for a long time through that list to find any (house not apartment) that is help to buy applicable. Maybe there is a vast market of people on high wages or trader uppers that I am underestimating.

There must be still a large market of higher income/wealthy people for these prices. That or institutional investors are buying them up. But I've heard of some higher priced developments struggling to sell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭99problems1

I've seen some moronic waffle on Boards over the year, but this one takes the biscuit.

You were a kid who was insulated from the recession because you didn't need a job or to buy a house. If you want to live somewhere cheap with no jobs, just move to Russia & try not to wish another catastrophe on the rest of us.

Eh I did need a house? I was in college during the recession. Where do you think I lived?

One is for sure if I was going to college now, I wouldn't be going because I wouldn't afford the accomodation!!!!

Eh I did need a house? I was in college during the recession. Where do you think I lived?

One is for sure if I was going to college now, I wouldn't be going because I wouldn't afford the accomodation!!!!

hopefully you will use that college education to get a good job to buy yourself a house :p

• Advertisement

Lot of high end jobs in Ireland. Its what attracting people to Ireland.

Won't help with our housing crisis. But then professional large rental companies, will concentrate on the part of the market with the highest profit margin.

Elessar wrote: »
    There must be still a large market of higher income/wealthy people for these prices. That or institutional investors are buying them up. But I've heard of some higher priced developments struggling to sell.

they wont be buying up the housing estates, maybe apartment blocks.

but as i said above anywhere thats relatively sensibly priced is selling, see dalkey manor and enderley in dalkey and broadlands and balure in killiney.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Time will tell. There was an article in the independent the other day about a study done in Cork that said construction costs are now so high that in order for apartments to be financially viable, a 2 bed would need to sell for between €370k and €490k at the very least. And 2-bed build to rents would need to rent for between €2.5k and €3k a month minimum. It's crazy.

I'm guessing Dublin is very similar that prices have to be very expensive in order to make most new developments viable.

Just got a QS to do budget estimate on a house I was planning to build and the fully finished, move in price worked out at around €205/sqr foot that's move in with your suitcases all flooring, driveway done kitchen etc.

he did a detailed breakdown and yeah apart from scrimping and saving on a few things it look kosher....:(:( dreams crushed.

The QS did say that at the moment its way cheaper to buy a house than build a house atm

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Just got a QS to do budget estimate on a house I was planning to build and the fully finished, move in price worked out at around €205/sqr foot that's move in with your suitcases all flooring, driveway done kitchen etc.

he did a detailed breakdown and yeah apart from scrimping and saving on a few things it look kosher....:(:( dreams crushed.

The QS did say that at the moment its way cheaper to buy a house than build a house atm

https://www.homebuilding.co.uk/the-ultimate-build-cost-guide/

Have a look at this it goes through a the building costs and breaks them down. Dont get disheartened, there are many ways to build, have you considered a factory built house for Germany or Eastern Europe? What size will your house be in meters? And what cost per meter is the QS quoting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Hi all

Long time reader of this thread. One topic that was hit on last week was the struggle most people have to get their deposit together. I think the Central Bank rules were good when introduced, but the growth in house prices and rents has made it harder for people to accumulate the deposit. The deposit changed from a safeguard to a burden where the longer you are saving money the more money you will require.

So I have 2 questions:

A. Do you think they will ever reduce the deposit rule or get rid of it altogether?
    B. If they did, what would be the immediate effect on the market. Suddenly a lot more people are able to enter the market, but they're still limited by the 3.5x borrowing rule. Do house prices jump in a noticeable way or have we just increased the amount of people showing up to viewings?

Regardless, I do think it'd be a good idea to retain the 3.5x rule but I'm aware that some would see the easing of the deposit rule as a slippery slope...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

This has long been the problem. The Government could take a holiday on profiting off building houses but did you really think they genuinely wanted to solve the housing crisis?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Down to the fact there is such a shortage of trades people

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

ZX7R wrote: »
    Down to the fact there is such a shortage of trades people

Grand so let's open up a visa lottery get the required work force in. Better still, let's allow unskilled immigrants to work as labours. I'm sure many would jump at the chance. Sweeten it by giving builders availing of the scheme generous tax breaks. There's a plethora of solutions being used across the globe to fix the same problems we have. Why can't we implement them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

OwlsZat wrote: »
    Grand so let's open up a visa lottery get the required work force in. Better still, let's allow unskilled immigrants to work as labours. I'm sure many would jump at the chance. Sweeten it by giving builders availing of the scheme generous tax breaks. There's a plethora of solutions being used across the globe to fix the same problems we have. Why can't we fix im implement them.

It's the only real solution is to bring in immigrants as you put it but qualified trades people most of Europe are doing it, for the last 15 years Irish government pushed for young people to go into I.T.
    So now you have a Sevier shortage of plasters brickies ect in the country.
    Most trades people left from the boom are heading the wrong side of 40 or are young appreciates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Umaro wrote: »
    Hi all

Long time reader of this thread. One topic that was hit on last week was the struggle most people have to get their deposit together. I think the Central Bank rules were good when introduced, but the growth in house prices and rents has made it harder for people to accumulate the deposit. The deposit changed from a safeguard to a burden where the longer you are saving money the more money you will require.

So I have 2 questions:

A. Do you think they will ever reduce the deposit rule or get rid of it altogether?
    B. If they did, what would be the immediate effect on the market. Suddenly a lot more people are able to enter the market, but they're still limited by the 3.5x borrowing rule. Do house prices jump in a noticeable way or have we just increased the amount of people showing up to viewings?

Regardless, I do think it'd be a good idea to retain the 3.5x rule but I'm aware that some would see the easing of the deposit rule as a slippery slope...

I'm not sure it'll make a difference other than lower the affordability for people, if people are just borrowing the same amount of money to get a 100% mortgage. It could actually end up lowering the price of house, or result in more people buying the dregs of the market.

Here's my sums of max affordability for given salary in both situations

House affordability with deposit
    Combined Salary          LTV           Max Borrowing           Max Affordability        Borrowing (4.5x)        Max Affordability       Deposit Reuired
    €30,000.00		0.9		€105,000.00		€116,666.67		€135,000.00		€150,000.00		€15,000.00
    €35,000.00		0.9		€122,500.00		€136,111.11		€157,500.00		€175,000.00		€17,500.00
    €40,000.00		0.9		€140,000.00		€155,555.56		€180,000.00		€200,000.00		€20,000.00
    €45,000.00		0.9		€157,500.00		€175,000.00		€202,500.00		€225,000.00		€22,500.00
    €50,000.00		0.9		€175,000.00		€194,444.44		€225,000.00		€250,000.00		€25,000.00
    €55,000.00		0.9		€192,500.00		€213,888.89		€247,500.00		€275,000.00		€27,500.00
    €60,000.00		0.9		€210,000.00		€233,333.33		€270,000.00		€300,000.00		€30,000.00
    €65,000.00		0.9		€227,500.00		€252,777.78		€292,500.00		€325,000.00		€32,500.00
    €70,000.00		0.9		€245,000.00		€272,222.22		€315,000.00		€350,000.00		€35,000.00
    €75,000.00		0.9		€262,500.00		€291,666.67		€337,500.00		€375,000.00		€37,500.00
    €80,000.00		0.9		€280,000.00		€311,111.11		€360,000.00		€400,000.00		€40,000.00
    €85,000.00		0.9		€297,500.00		€330,555.56		€382,500.00		€425,000.00		€42,500.00
    €90,000.00		0.9		€315,000.00		€350,000.00		€405,000.00		€450,000.00		€45,000.00
    €95,000.00		0.9		€332,500.00		€369,444.44		€427,500.00		€475,000.00		€47,500.00
    €100,000.00		0.9		€350,000.00		€388,888.89		€450,000.00		€500,000.00		€50,000.00
    €105,000.00		0.9		€367,500.00		€408,333.33		€472,500.00		€525,000.00		€52,500.00
    €110,000.00		0.9		€385,000.00		€427,777.78		€495,000.00		€550,000.00		€55,000.00
    €115,000.00		0.9		€402,500.00		€447,222.22		€517,500.00		€575,000.00		€57,500.00
    €120,000.00		0.9		€420,000.00		€466,666.67		€540,000.00		€600,000.00		€60,000.00
    €125,000.00		0.9		€437,500.00		€486,111.11		€562,500.00		€625,000.00		€62,500.00
    €130,000.00		0.9		€455,000.00		€505,555.56		€585,000.00		€650,000.00		€65,000.00
    €135,000.00		0.9		€472,500.00		€525,000.00		€607,500.00		€675,000.00		€67,500.00
    €140,000.00		0.9		€490,000.00		€544,444.44		€630,000.00		€700,000.00		€70,000.00
    €145,000.00		0.9		€507,500.00		€563,888.89		€652,500.00		€725,000.00		€72,500.00
    €150,000.00		0.9		€525,000.00		€583,333.33		€675,000.00		€750,000.00		€75,000.00
    €155,000.00		0.9		€542,500.00		€602,777.78		€697,500.00		€775,000.00		€77,500.00
    €160,000.00		0.9		€560,000.00		€622,222.22		€720,000.00		€800,000.00		€80,000.00

vs

House affordability with no deposit
    Combined Salary          LTV           Max Borrowing           Max Affordability        Borrowing (4.5x)        Max Affordability       Deposit Reuired
    €30,000.00		1		€105,000.00		€105,000.00		€135,000.00		€150,000.00		0
    €35,000.00		1		€122,500.00		€122,500.00		€157,500.00		€175,000.00		0
    €40,000.00		1		€140,000.00		€140,000.00		€180,000.00		€200,000.00		0
    €45,000.00		1		€157,500.00		€157,500.00		€202,500.00		€225,000.00		0
    €50,000.00		1		€175,000.00		€175,000.00		€225,000.00		€250,000.00		0
    €55,000.00		1		€192,500.00		€192,500.00		€247,500.00		€275,000.00		0
    €60,000.00		1		€210,000.00		€210,000.00		€270,000.00		€300,000.00		0
    €65,000.00		1		€227,500.00		€227,500.00		€292,500.00		€325,000.00		0
    €70,000.00		1		€245,000.00		€245,000.00		€315,000.00		€350,000.00		0
    €75,000.00		1		€262,500.00		€262,500.00		€337,500.00		€375,000.00		0
    €80,000.00		1		€280,000.00		€280,000.00		€360,000.00		€400,000.00		0
    €85,000.00		1		€297,500.00		€297,500.00		€382,500.00		€425,000.00		0
    €90,000.00		1		€315,000.00		€315,000.00		€405,000.00		€450,000.00		0
    €95,000.00		1		€332,500.00		€332,500.00		€427,500.00		€475,000.00		0
    €100,000.00		1		€350,000.00		€350,000.00		€450,000.00		€500,000.00		0
    €105,000.00		1		€367,500.00		€367,500.00		€472,500.00		€525,000.00		0
    €110,000.00		1		€385,000.00		€385,000.00		€495,000.00		€550,000.00		0
    €115,000.00		1		€402,500.00		€402,500.00		€517,500.00		€575,000.00		0
    €120,000.00		1		€420,000.00		€420,000.00		€540,000.00		€600,000.00		0
    €125,000.00		1		€437,500.00		€437,500.00		€562,500.00		€625,000.00		0
    €130,000.00		1		€455,000.00		€455,000.00		€585,000.00		€650,000.00		0
    €135,000.00		1		€472,500.00		€472,500.00		€607,500.00		€675,000.00		0
    €140,000.00		1		€490,000.00		€490,000.00		€630,000.00		€700,000.00		0
    €145,000.00		1		€507,500.00		€507,500.00		€652,500.00		€725,000.00		0
    €150,000.00		1		€525,000.00		€525,000.00		€675,000.00		€750,000.00		0
    €155,000.00		1		€542,500.00		€542,500.00		€697,500.00		€775,000.00		0
    €160,000.00		1		€560,000.00		€560,000.00		€720,000.00		€800,000.00		0

Sorry BBCode tables weren't giving me cells

This all assumes the mortgage lending rules stay the same with regards to borrowing amount at 3.5x salary or 4.5x salary with exemption. I guess it would open up borrowing to more people, which includes riskier categories.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement