Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Market 2019

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

I'm in an A rated home, no heating on from April to October and only €55 a month on both heating and electricity when averaged out throughout the year. A lot to be said for it. Gets a bit warm in summer is the only thing so need windows/velux open at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

cruizer101 wrote: »
    Also I've a few friends who find their A Rated homes too warm, probably due to bad design or finish.

I'm hearing the same from my friends, they are actually too warm in the summer so must leave windows open and that lets noise in.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Nobodysrobots

On this subject - my parents got external insulation, new gas boiler/heating controls and extra attic insulation to their semi-D (built in 1970s) about 2 years ago. After deducting the SEAI grants the total came to €10k. They put in triple glazing and composite front door about 5 years ago at a cost of €14k. So the guts of €25k for all that work. To keep the temperature at 23c all day, the heating only comes on for about an hour in the morning and evening - depending on the temperature outside. Their bill is under €50/month in the cold months. Granted it's difficult (but possible) to get the airtightness of new builds through retrofitting, there are other measures which can dramatically reduce heating bills.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

On this subject - my parents got external insulation, new gas boiler/heating controls and extra attic insulation to their semi-D (built in 1970s) about 2 years ago. After deducting the SEAI grants the total came to €10k. They put in triple glazing and composite front door about 5 years ago at a cost of €14k. So the guts of €25k for all that work. To keep the temperature at 23c all day, the heating only comes on for about an hour in the morning and evening - depending on the temperature outside. Their bill is under €50/month in the cold months. Granted it's difficult (but possible) to get the airtightness of new builds through retrofitting, there are other measures which can dramatically reduce heating bills.

I'm hoping to do something similar in the next 12 months, so if you, or anyone else had any recommendations (via PM) of any companies that do this, that'd be much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭KingCong

On this subject - my parents got external insulation, new gas boiler/heating controls and extra attic insulation to their semi-D (built in 1970s) about 2 years ago. After deducting the SEAI grants the total came to €10k.

That seems a great price, I was quoted 20k for the just external insulation for a similar house (before the grant). Would you mind PM'ing me the name of the company that did the work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Would you mind PM me aswel thanks.

That’s a great price.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,764 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The grants have changed since then with different amounts for different things. Believe gas boiler gets nothing now for instance

Askthe EA wrote: »
    I'm hearing the same from my friends, they are actually too warm in the summer so must leave windows open and that lets noise in.

Tell your friends to invest in some blinds ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Nobodysrobots

PMs sent. It was a 950sqft 3-bed semi-D. The work was carried out in 2017 so I'm not sure if the SEAI grants have changed since then?

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Mike3549

People forget that mpost newbuilts are alot bigger. There is plenty of storage rooms, even a hot press is like a walk-in wardrobe. When we were looking for our place, 3bed newbuilts were approx 125 sq.m. When 2nd hands were 80 sq.m. of course the backgardens a tiny in newbuilds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭masterboy123

I am looking at a new built which is 115 sq meter. They haven't completed the project. Just walls are up to a height of 6 feet.
    It looked small to us, but builder says it's quite big and it has 3 bedroom upstairs. Maybe it looks small as it's under construction?
    Any idea how is this size for a couple, no kids yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

I am looking at a new built which is 115 sq meter. They haven't completed the project. Just walls are up to a height of 6 feet.
    It looked small to us, but builder says it's quite big and it has 3 bedroom upstairs. Maybe it looks small as it's under construction?

It's the larger size of average for a 3 bed, more than enough room for a small family.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,764 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you're used to house sizes in some other countries, 115sqm could seem (very, if American!) small - but it's above average for a 3 bed these days.

Unless you have plans for two separate home offices, or intend to have many overnight guests, you should be fine in it. If not actually rattling around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,266 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

It's normal for a new build to seem smaller than what it is at various points during construction. Ours is 3300 sq ft (America) and didn't seem like it at all for a good while. It was only when the drywall went in and it was plastered that it started to feel like the right size

what you're talking about is bigger than the average house in Ireland. Should be plenty of space for a couple

We are living in a 2 bed apartment + living area with kitchen for last 5 years. So we hope it will be a big jump from current living situation.

No office at my home :) My motto is: Leave work at work.

Guests would come maybe once every 3-4 months for a few days,max a week.
    L1011 wrote: »
    If you're used to house sizes in some other countries, 115sqm could seem (very, if American!) small - but it's above average for a 3 bed these days.

Unless you have plans for two separate home offices, or intend to have many overnight guests, you should be fine in it. If not actually rattling around it.

115m2 is a decent size in today’s market. A lot of the second hand houses we were looking at ranges from 78m2-120m2. That’s in Dublin. I’ve a mate who bought down the country and thinks that size is tiny and anything less than 160m2 is small

My dream home would be 150 m2 or above.
    But at current economical situation, we can't get above this size. We are not in Dublin, otherwise would end up with 75 m2.
    bri007 wrote: »
    115m2 is a decent size in today’s market. A lot of the second hand houses we were looking at ranges from 78m2-120m2. That’s in Dublin. I’ve a mate who bought down the country and thinks that size is tiny and anything less than 160m2 is small

I’d be happy with 120m2!

We viewed a house before Xmas, 72m2 and it sold for €410,000 ;(
    My dream home would be 150 m2 or above.
    But at current economical situation, we can't get above this size. We are not in Dublin, otherwise would end up with 75 m2.

Silly question, if a house is a 2 or 3 or 4 etc. storey house, is the 'square meter' size multiplied per floor?

(ie; if the footprint is 10sq meters, but it's a 3 storey house, does that make it a 30sq meter house?). I presume attics or basements or side-attached garages (where applicable) that aren't livable spaces, aren't included?

I’ve seen some houses that have included side garages within the advertised size.
    Silly question, if a house is a 2 or 3 or 4 etc. storey house, is the 'square meter' size multiplied per floor?

(ie; if the footprint is 10sq meters, but it's a 3 storey house, does that make it a 30sq meter house?). I presume attics or basements or side-attached garages (where applicable) that aren't livable spaces, aren't included?

• Advertisement

If advertised size is 120 m2 and it's a 2 floor house. Then it indicates 120 m2 is the total living area, and it means 60 m2 ground floor and 60 m2 first floor (or similar, first floor is slightly less than ground floor).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭bluetractor

Indo screaming headline "property prices rose again in January."

Then you read the actual story. Prices dropped in November, prices dropped in December, prices dropped again in January. But because the indo wants the "prices are increasing" headline they use a 12 month on 12 month figure and claim "prices rise in January".

The REAL headline. House prices have dropped slightly in each month since November.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Indo screaming headline "property prices rose again in January."

Then you read the actual story. Prices dropped in November, prices dropped in December, prices dropped again in January. But because the indo wants the "prices are increasing" headline they use a 12 month on 12 month figure and claim "prices rise in January".

The REAL headline. House prices have dropped slightly in each month since November.

Prices have not dropped. The decline is in the growth but they have still grown.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Fol20 wrote: »
    Prices have not dropped. The decline is in the growth but they have still grown.

Everything bluetractor said is correct. YoY is up but December to January is down slightly.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/residential-property-prices-and-rent-costs-jump-again-37912915.html
    Prices increased by 5.6pc nationally in the year to January. This compares with an increase of 11.8pc in the twelve months to January last year.

In the month of January prices actually fell by 0.4pc. It was the third month in a row that prices fell on a monthly basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 rooster7777

I think prices have dropped a bit though. I am in the market for a house and several have dropped in price over the last few months. I have also noticed that developments which would have sold out in one day before are noew having several viewings. I was chatting to our mortgage guy in the bank the other day and he said that demand for loans has dropped off a good bit. Uncertainty about Brexit and public spending he reckons. Also, he said that they usually see a big upswing in mortgage applications at the start of the year and they havent seen any.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

Everything bluetractor said is correct. YoY is up but December to January is down slightly.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/residential-property-prices-and-rent-costs-jump-again-37912915.html

On an individual level, its hard to appreciate a drop of 0.4%

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭bluetractor

Fol20 wrote: »

That's the problem with the headline. (thanks for proving it :) ) It reads so that people think prices are still rising when the factual figures are that prices have dropped very slightly in each of the past 3 months and the 3 month price change was -1%.

Or in plain English, prices have dropped 1% in the past 3 month compared to average price at end of Oct.

And whilst its very generalised, it does take pressure off buyers and may subdue seller expectations

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

JJJackal wrote:
    On an individual level, its hard to appreciate a drop of 0.4%

It's the trend you're looking for. They ain't gonnn drop by 10% in a month!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭devlinio

That 1% different is the stamp duty basically. Not small change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

It's the trend you're looking for. They ain't gonnn drop by 10% in a month!

Yeah, you got to wait for gravity to take before the real plummet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement