Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Market 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭The Student

ZX7R wrote: »
    Not really we will just import from main land eu , with help in subsidy and tax breaks for the government

Subsidizing/tax breaks for the construction industry, that will go down well with the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Subsidizing/tax breaks for the construction industry, that will go down well with the public.

But the construction industry is already heavily supported by the tax payer... We give a huge grant to every first time buyer, the deveoper puts the price up to make use of the free money accross the board, increasuing the cost of housing for everyone else. The developers are also guarunteed a certain percentage of sales as social housing... this is paid on the double, one by the council from tax payers money & secondly by the buyers whose prices go up in order to finance the people who live next door to them without paying (in full)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭tigger123

Anyone got tomorrows nights lotto numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭liam7831

tigger123 wrote:
    Anyone got tomorrows nights lotto numbers?

Try the gambling section

• Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭KaneToad

No deal Brexit will not happen. There will be a soft Brexit. The UK really want all the benefits of the common market. They will be happy with a Brexit in name type scenario... The WA will be tweaked slightly (inconsequently for Ireland/EU) and accepted by UK as it will be portrayed as a victory. Property prices will not decrease - as a function of Brexit.

There, I've said it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

Article on Bloomberg:

These Are the Countries Most at Risk of Housing Bubbles https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-07-12/canada-new-zealand-show-signs-of-housing-bubble-says-study

Puts Ireland at number 9
    KaneToad wrote: »
    No deal Brexit will not happen. There will be a soft Brexit. The UK really want all the benefits of the common market. They will be happy with a Brexit in name type scenario... The WA will be tweaked slightly (inconsequently for Ireland/EU) and accepted by UK as it will be portrayed as a victory. Property prices will not decrease - as a function of Brexit.

There, I've said it.

Em... have you met the DUP? Not the best of people for compromise... they will never agree to a backstop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Bluefoam wrote: »
    But the construction industry is already heavily supported by the tax payer... We give a huge grant to every first time buyer, the deveoper puts the price up to make use of the free money accross the board, increasuing the cost of housing for everyone else. The developers are also guarunteed a certain percentage of sales as social housing... this is paid on the double, one by the council from tax payers money & secondly by the buyers whose prices go up in order to finance the people who live next door to them without paying (in full)

That state takes in far more from building houses than it gives out in grants. 12.55 of the price of a new house is VAT. There is prsi and usc on all the labour, there are planning contributions and then corporation tax on the profits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Zenify wrote: »

Em... have you met the DUP? Not the best of people for compromise... they will never agree to a backstop.

New Tory party under Johnson will go to the country & secure a majority. They won't give a toss about the DUP then...

They don't care about them now - they're just propping up the UK govt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

New Tory party under Johnson will go to the country & secure a majority. They won't give a toss about the DUP then...

They don't care about them now - they're just propping up the UK govt.

The choice wont be WA or no deal, if they go to the country it will be for staying in the EU or the deal negotiated. Then they won't end up leaving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

The choice wont be WA or no deal, if they go to the country it will be for staying in the EU or the deal negotiated. Then they won't end up leaving.

WA?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    WA?

Withdrawal Agreement. A Catholic form of contraception, not very effective.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭rireland

Withdrawal Agreement. A Catholic form of contraception, not very effective.

It is actually. Pretty good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

rireland wrote: »
    It is actually. Pretty good!

It is, if the withdrawal happens. Quite often, the withdrawal is so prolonged it becomes ineffective

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

There are companies packaging mortgages back into rmbs’s , companies le ding to builders off the back of promises of deposits on new builds, that last time round the out of normal bounds lending was public, advertised and sold directly to the punter.

Its happening again, this time instead of anglo , nationwide or AIB (big banks) getting it done, the ICB has allowed tiny popup intermediaries backed by funds in other countries or mega funds in Ireland.

There are intrmediaries now bending the rules to the edge of the line.

One of the new tricks now some small firms of 2-3 people in a serviced office operating as an ICB approved intermediary are pulling is to take high value properties (say 1 million) , you do a deal with the vendor where you give them 500k for a long lease now and pay to have an option on the property in 5-10 years time for the balance. The underwriter sees it as a 50% ltv mortgage with little down (its loan to value not mortgage) and in 5 or 10 years time the client has to get an additional mortgage to buy out the freehold / remainder of the property at the value today. Obviously if the property is magically worth 2 million in a decade this is a great deal and inflation will allow them to complete, but if we end up in a brexit based dip or inflation stagnates youre going to have a lot of high value properties defaulted on.

Im sure there are more legal technicalities on it that these people are working around but its effective result is allowing a household on a 150k a year income to purchase a house worth a million. Effectively 6.7x income and well outside ecb rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

There, I've said it.

Doesn't really matter in terms of Ireland's economy and property market. We are being marched off a cliff like lemmings with regard to global stock markets. Have you seen the value of the Dow Jones or s&p 500 lately.? They are off the scale in terms of being overvalued.

Trump is controlling the FED now forcing them into complete 180 turnarounds. He's not interested in anything other then a strong US economy to get him over the line next year and will do or say anything to get there.

We are gonna pay hard for this in the next couple of years..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

UsBus wrote: »
    Doesn't really matter in terms of Ireland's economy and property market. We are being marched off a cliff like lemmings with regard to global stock markets. Have you seen the value of the Dow Jones or s&p 500 lately.? They are off the scale in terms of being overvalued.

Trump is controlling the FED now forcing them into complete 180 turnarounds. He's not interested in anything other then a strong US economy to get him over the line next year and will do or say anything to get there.

We are gonna pay hard for this in the next couple of years..

Trump has incredible leverage with Powell the FED chairman who should be raising rates right now....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

<SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

I haven't been following the rental market at all and out of curiosity I checked in Daft and there are almost 1500 ads for Co Dublin alone.
    Are the Air B&B new rules working? was the stock always in around this level?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

UsBus wrote: »
    I'm sitting on a 100% profit since 2008 in the stock markets, so just as well I didn't listen to people like you.

In my experience, there are always lots of bad things on the horizon, but we (humanity) muddle through. As long as you don't over-extend yourself, you'll be fine.

To bring this back to property, thanks to the Central Bank rules we are not over-extended as a country. It was obvious back in 2007 with people paying 8 times their income, and taxi drivers buying rental properties, and people buying houses in Cape Verde that many were over-extended. .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

hmmm wrote: »
    I'm sitting on a 100% profit since 2008 in the stock markets, so just as well I didn't listen to people like you.

In my experience, there are always lots of bad things on the horizon, but we (humanity) muddle through. As long as you don't over-extend yourself, you'll be fine.

To bring this back to property, thanks to the Central Bank rules we are not over-extended as a country. It was obvious back in 2007 with people paying 8 times their income, and taxi drivers buying rental properties, and people buying houses in Cape Verde that many were over-extended. .

The s + p is up 100% since 2013, never mind 2008

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

https://m.independent.ie/business/technology/news/phil-hogan-kept-away-from-powerful-eu-post-to-avoid-conflict-with-tech-giants-38312541.html

This article is exactly why FG are not the party to fix the housing crisis. Big business is better for Ireland than the social comfort of the citizens. Job creation (at full employment now) and the doublespeak term of "growth" of MNCs is the priority of FG and not infrastructure. This attitude applies to their attitude to the housing market too; institutional investors are white horses so don't touch them with tax; tax is for the individual landlords, the proles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Mad_maxx wrote:
    The s + p is up 100% since 2013, never mind 2008

Exactly 100% profit since 2008 low is very poor!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

alwald wrote: »
    I haven't been following the rental market at all and out of curiosity I checked in Daft and there are almost 1500 ads for Co Dublin alone.
    Are the Air B&B new rules working? was the stock always in around this level?

This is the time of the year when stock is at its maximum. When the CAO offers come out in a few weeks, all hell will break loose. It looks that there is about double the usual level of supply available at the moment. DAFT shows a lot of price drops so the market has probably peaked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Why? Its been around 8-10% increase per year in last few years but it dropped in the first couple of years.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/prices-down-19-in-2009-1.1239440

People have short memories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

beauf wrote: »
    Why? Its been around 8-10% increase per year in last few years but it dropped in the first couple of years.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/prices-down-19-in-2009-1.1239440

People have short memories.

He's talking about the stock market no?

My shares have gone up 10% in the last month, never mind year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Ah. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The low waa in 2009 but you were below 10000 for most of 2008

Just crash already! No hope of buying without a crash.

And before people say I wouldn't be able buy in a crash...possibly. But at least prices would be at a lower base and more affordable in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

rireland wrote: »
    Just crash already! No hope of buying without a crash.

And before people say I wouldn't be able buy in a crash...possibly. But at least prices would be at a lower base and more affordable in future.

Delightful sentiment.

I suspect you have no hope of buying.

• Advertisement

SozBbz wrote: »
    Delightful sentiment.

I suspect you have no hope of buying.

Not at current prices no. I have a lump of cash money but my salary isn't high enough to get a mortgage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement