Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Market 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

Zenify wrote: »
    I havent been going to any viewings the past few months. Anyone have any updates, busy etc.? Please mention price bracket and area.

I am looking around Cork City and surrounding county. Max is 320k. Compared to last year I’m not finding it as busy. I’ve also been the only person a open viewings!

Asking prices are higher than last year but last year would have immediately gone to asking and above. Now I’m finding the 1st offer is under asking and slower moving up. Spent two weeks waiting to hear back on an offer I had put in before they said a higher offer was in. And it was only 2k more. Whereas last year it was min 5k prices were going up.

But supply is really low at moment with new houses on market but expect that to be the time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

That graph is interesting but useless. Ireland is at more risk of a house price correction than any other country in the world right now. Brexit could turn this economy on its head . Banks will get cagey with credit and off we go . Not saying it will definitely happen but it's a huge risk to anyone buying a property right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

dor843088 wrote: »
    That graph is interesting but useless. Ireland is at more risk of a house price correction than any other country in the world right now. Brexit could turn this economy on its head . Banks will get cagey with credit and off we go . Not saying it will definitely happen but it's a huge risk to anyone buying a property right now.

Id disagree, of those listed, Australia and the UK would be more at risk. NZ aswell. Our problem is not unique

Edit: Only economies I've a little knowledge off

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

dor843088 wrote: »

I find your reasoning insightful... maybe you should be an economist and write for Bloomberg. You have already proved how much detail you are willing to provide... now go out and make some money from your expertise.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

OwlsZat wrote: »

There was a degree of inevitability that property prices were going to 'cool'.
    I was comparing and contrasting the self-same situation in Portugal to the Irish market for a colleague in the last few days- and the similarities are startling (and indeed the sentiment- esp. the media going on about how incoming immigrants are supporting property prices and demand let price rises were inevitable).

People have finite finances.
    People cannot be trusted to act in their own best interests.
    The current rules- like them or hate them- work.
    Gravity defying price rises are neither sustainable nor something that we should strive towards.

The joker in the pack- that looked so unlikely to happen- a hard Brexit- is now being acknowledged as a stark and growing possibility.

Unfortunately- even some of the more pessimistic of us did not imagine that the doom that was forecasted would come to pass.

We need a seachange in Ireland- coming a gamut of sectors not just in the property sector. E.g. our planning system is irretrievably broken. The manner in which sustainable energy production is held hostage by refuseniks- mirrors the growing and voiciferous anti-vaccination brigade that society seems too genteel to sit down and impose rules that benefit society as a whole.

The rights of society in general- have to trump the rights of the individual- instead- as usual- we have the tail wagging the dog in Ireland.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Bluefoam wrote: »
    We'll thanks for that, next time I read the news I'll be sure to criteque the journalists who present it... & I'll wait till they have reconfigured it before I dare to share it...

how is your cubicle today? has someone turned down the airconditioning? are you a little grumpy? did someone use the wrong colour in an excel spreadsheet today? maybe try to get out for some fresh air... are you allowed, or will it cause you additional distress? bless...
    I find your reasoning insightful... maybe you should be an economist and write for Bloomberg. You have already proved how much detail you are willing to provide... now go out and make some money from your expertise.

Do you need to be so condescending / sarcastic? You may think some posts aren't adding anything to the discussion, but this nonsense actively discourages it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

aloooof wrote: »
    Do you need to be so condescending / sarcastic? You may think some posts aren't adding anything to the discussion, but this nonsense actively discourages it.

Yes... I believe that there are many posters who can't see past their noses and are unwilling or unable to converse, understand other perspectives and provide dialogue, so as a mechanism to get a point across I have reverted to similar childish behaviour... By making a point in a sarcastic way, it seems to penetrate more effectively.

I am also stubborn, but am will to accept other posters logic when it is sensible...

With regard to the graph... genuinely who gives a **** what the graph looks like, we were able to read and understand the basis of what they were trying to communicate... afterall it's just a graph out of an article... who really wants to forensically analise the presentation of a chart instead of discussing the content? This thread is about content, not graphs and their graphical presentation.

I also get wound up when posters use big grandiose statements with little to back them up, bar their feelings... It's been said here more than once... there is a swell of feelings here from many users who think they are entitled, wish lossess on others and base comments on what they want to have rather than economic reality, just so that they can make gains. Every generation has struggled to purchase property, it's tough, it always has been...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Yes... I believe that there are many posters who can't see past their noses and are unwilling or unable to converse, understand other perspectives and provide dialogue, so as a mechanism to get a point across I have reverted to similar childish behaviour... By making a point in a sarcastic way, it seems to penetrate more effectively.

Where did criuzer or dor do any of those things? They were both fairly innocuous posts.
    I am also stubborn, but am will to accept other posters logic when it is sensible...

So why didn't you ask for dor's logic on his post, or refute it yourself? I could maybe understand your reaction if there was some back and forth with those posters, but there wasn't. You went straight to condescension. That doesn't promote discussion.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

If you have an issue with a post, report it.

to get a point across I have reverted to similar childish behaviour...

Please stop it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

...With regard to the graph... genuinely who gives a **** what the graph looks like, we were able to read and understand the basis of what they were trying to communicate... ....

The criticism isn't of what our looks like, (or if you) but that it communicates it's information poorly.

Some people find information easier to interpret when it's graphical, others when it's text and others when it's audio. People are different.

That said I don't think it's telling us anything new. So the graphic serves it's purpose in that regard. Most people seem to agree if there is a slow down it won't be a crash like the last time in Ireland. That said the effect of Brexit is hard to guesstimate. I'm starting to think there will be stagnation as everything slows and projects run out of funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Was informed yesterday lots of the new houses around Naas aren't selling. Only 15/90 sold in one particular development. Anyone know why this is?

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mcbert

Brexit?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Tomrota

Was informed yesterday lots of the new houses around Naas aren't selling. Only 15/90 sold in one particular development. Anyone know why this is?
    Lack of public transport compared to every other commuter town? I’d much rather buy in Maynooth or Greystones.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

Anybody have any thoughts on the new governor of the Central Bank Gabriel Makhlouf? I’m not impressed of his handling of the budget leaks in New Zealand but I do wonder if he will feel under pressure to make any changes to the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Tomrota wrote: »
    Lack of public transport compared to every other commuter town? I’d much rather buy in Maynooth or Greystones.

My thoughts exactly. For a county town in the Geater Dublin Area, its mad that it doesn't even have so much as a train station.

An absolutely lovely town, but crawling up that N7 every morning certainly wouldn't appeal to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,374 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

So would almost everyone.. hence the crazy prices

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

lawred2 wrote: »

So would almost everyone.. hence the crazy prices

The prices in Maynooth and Naas are pretty comparable. The dart is coming to Maynooth makes it more appealing. Strange given its size how Naas has very limited rail services.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 goodluckduck

Yep
    The prices in Maynooth and Naas are pretty comparable. The dart is coming to Maynooth makes it more appealing. Strange given its size how Naas has very limited rail services.

Depending on where you live in Naas you can easily be within a 10 minute cycle or 5 minute drive of the train station at Sallins which has a very frequent service to Dublin. The bus options are decent too - the N7 bus lane at newlands helps a bit with the journey times.

I live abroad and have been looking at an investment property there but judging from daft alone it does seem like some of the new builds have been slow to shift alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭tigger123

Naas is lovely, and we definitely would have given it more consideration before buying in Dublin if it had better commuting options.

• Advertisement

Heres one good reason that they're having an interesting time shifting stock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Just looking on daft.
    Seems to be 18 New developments out that way. All around 300 - 485k
    Can you imagine spending that to live in area if your not from around there and with little infrastructure according to some posters above.

I honestly do feel bad for any couple that spends 485k on a house out in Naas only to have 50-70% of that estate becoming council or a ghost estate.
    Long commute if working in Dublin, expensive mortgage with a good chance of having neighbours you wont integrate well with due to culture differences or having no neighbours at all.
    Chance of selling would be pretty slim with a good chance of losing a bomb.
    They need to get realistic with the house prices out that way. 200-250 should be the standard 3/4 bed house price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Naas was always at least 10% lower than Maynooth, Celbridge and Léixlip especially around the 2nd hand market. If they're pricing new houses at similar prices in Naas as prices in the North of the county its no surprise that they aren't being snapped up.
    Its a lovely town but the transport options seriously lag behind the other 3.
    Even some of the peak time train services to Connolly only start and terminate at Hazelhatch

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I do,nt think theres any chance of any ghost estates being built near dublin,
    someone will buy them ,the ghost estates from 2008,
    were built in rural area,s ,
    where demand was not there for house,,s being sold for 200k plus .
    Builders have to get finance before they build ,than buy a site .
    The selling price is based on site cost, cost of building the house,plus there
    should be 10-20 per cent profit .
    The cost of land varys widely from area to area ,
    builders want sites that are large enough for 20 plus house,s with a garden .

riclad wrote: »
    I do,nt think theres any chance of any ghost estates being built near dublin,
    someone will buy them ,the ghost estates from 2008,
    were built in rural area,s ,
    where demand was not there for house,,s being sold for 200k plus .
    Builders have to get finance before they build ,than buy a site .
    The selling price is based on site cost, cost of building the house,plus there
    should be 10-20 per cent profit .
    The cost of land varys widely from area to area ,
    builders want sites that are large enough for 20 plus house,s with a garden .

Thats not entirely true. There were 'ghost estates' built in Naas, Lucan, Clonee and many other areas in the immediate vicinity of Dublin. Some of these (such as Clonee) are still unfinished to this day (despite new estates being built in the areas).

Its a myth that the ghost estates of the last decade were in rural areas- a clear majority of them were within commutable distance of Dublin. The fact that some of these areas were considered commutable, is an entirely different situation.

The issue with a lot of the estates in the immediate vicinity of Naas- is wholly aside from the improbable numbers of social housing units (and the fact that some of the estates are entirely the possession of housing associations)- is the price, plain and simple. They are too expensive.

If they are priced at an appropriate level- they will sell (despite the slowdown). They're not currently priced at a level appropriate for their location or the current market conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Tomrota

Just looking on daft.
    Seems to be 18 New developments out that way. All around 300 - 485k
    Can you imagine spending that to live in area if your not from around there and with little infrastructure according to some posters above.

I honestly do feel bad for any couple that spends 485k on a house out in Naas only to have 50-70% of that estate becoming council or a ghost estate.
    Long commute if working in Dublin, expensive mortgage with a good chance of having neighbours you wont integrate well with due to culture differences or having no neighbours at all.
    Chance of selling would be pretty slim with a good chance of losing a bomb.
    They need to get realistic with the house prices out that way. 200-250 should be the standard 3/4 bed house price.
    Well, it’s great for those couples looking to get out of the hustle and bustle of the city that are happy to only use a car for the rest of time because you’re straight onto the N7 which only takes about 15 mins to get to the M50.

However if you are a student or wish to use public transport to get to work, the transit is abysmal. The only bus that goes to Dublin is the Kildare/newbridge commuter bus which is one of the worst services in the country and costs far more than other buses and is not subject to LEAP fares or caps. Thus, it can be very expensive. So those couples that move in might be happy but if they decide to have kids... the transport isn’t so great for them. For example, a student trying to get to UCD wouldn’t be subject to LEAP fares or caps and wouldn’t have the extra 1€ transfer cost, which every other commuter town enjoys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Well, it’s great for those couples looking to get out of the hustle and bustle of the city that are happy to only use a car for the rest of time because you’re straight onto the N7 which only takes about 15 mins to get to the M50.

At 3am with no traffic on the road :p

At 3am with no traffic on the road :p

And willing to break the improbably low speed limit...........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Housing market no the slump in the US

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement