Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Market 2019

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Not on the market, but bought our house late 2015. I'm in shock the prices of similar houses in our area today. I wouldn't pay the prices they're currently going for for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Not on the market, but bought our house late 2015. I'm in shock the prices of similar houses in our area today. I wouldn't pay the prices they're currently going for for sure.

What area approximately would this be?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

It's easy to say that in hindsight, from a position of power... but theres lots of people wasting money on rent who would be grateful for the oportunity to buy a crap house at a high price... & I'm not even joking aboiut that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    What area approximately would this be?

Only in the settled Clondalkin area. The increases aren't as dramatic as other areas but it's still a bit of a shock. I took my eye off the ball on prices once I got mine and settled down.
    It's easy to say that in hindsight, from a position of power... but theres lots of people wasting money on rent who would be grateful for the oportunity to buy a crap house at a high price... & I'm not even joking aboiut that.

I can see where that's coming from. Rent is very high, expensive crap house would probably yield a lower mortgage than absurdly high rent costs, and also some housing security for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

If you hadn't bought in late 2015, you would have paid rent from then until now which is the guts of 4 years. For a half decent 2 bed apartment, those 4 years could have cost you 75k in rent. Your purchase price plus 75k....does that exceed what the houses in your area are going for now?

• Advertisement

I am watching the Dublin 7 market for the last 12 months, anything that is good and ready to move in will sell very fast.
    Everything else is on the market for months and months, asking prices are down everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,320 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

There's no VAT on 2nd hand homes anyway but new builds no it does not.

Not always true. If the initial owner exercised the option to tax the building (such as charging VAT on rent) then, subject to time limits, they would be required to charge VAT on the eventual sale. This was not uncommon for smart landlords of newly constructed properties as it allowed them to recover VAT on purchase.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Marcusm wrote: »
    Not always true. If the initial owner exercised the option to tax the building (such as charging VAT on rent) then, subject to time limits, they would be required to charge VAT on the eventual sale. This was not uncommon for smart landlords of newly constructed properties as it allowed them to recover VAT on purchase.

100% correct, however, any landlords who have the wherewithall to structure their property in this manner- tend to be in it for the long haul, and their units only rarely hit the market (though there have been a few notable liquidations of collections of rental holdings this year).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Radsky wrote: »
    What would be considered a big garden? I see in many new builds garden sizes of around 70 sq meters? Would old houses typically have a much larger garden size than this?

When i was looking originally, i wanted a small back garden, but we ended up with a dublin garden thats around 500sqm (the neighbours who've been here since not long after they were built said the size was due to the government wanting people to be able to plant fruit and veg, no idea how true that is. Build time was circa 1950s).

My brother has bought a new build and just moved in, its not the size its more about how over looked it is, there's zero privacy as so many houses can see in.

500msq is almost a farm...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Bluefoam wrote: »
    500msq is almost a farm...

Its a semi D and not some mansion, out of the ordinary for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

When i was looking originally, i wanted a small back garden, but we ended up with a dublin garden thats around 500sqm (the neighbours who've been here since not long after they were built said the size was due to the government wanting people to be able to plant fruit and veg, no idea how true that is. Build time was circa 1950s).

My brother has bought a new build and just moved in, its not the size its more about how over looked it is, there's zero privacy as so many houses can see in.

Boot Road?

terrydel wrote: »
    Boot Road?

nope, Clonkeen Road

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Yea that makes a lot of sense actually. We chose a c.30 year old property as I value an established neighborhood, large garden, no social housing etc. over some of the mod cons & simplicity of purchasing new properties. I'm 30 years old too but I do see myself as not the typical millennial, fix my own cars, I love DIY etc. so an older house needing work suits me but I see why it wouldn't suit others.

i was looking for a year, never thought about a new build, until i walked into the one we bought.

Granted ours is in an established neighborhood, i have a garden large enough for what we need (circa 170 sqm), its a very small estate, its very quiet and safe and there is no social housing.

On the face of it it was expensive but compared to the renovation jobs i had looked at earlier in the search i reckon i ended up 100k better off buying new.

I was chatting with an estate agent about selling my house i bought over a year ago, he told me the market has not moved at all and i would be lucky if i got 240 on a house i paid 235 for last year. This house is based in a decent area of cork and right next to the link. Definitely a slowdown, i was getting it valued as i have decided to move out to the country

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

A house I was looking at in Sandyford has gone 70k over the asking price and it isn’t even sale agreed yet so there’s obviously still a lot of people looking to buy

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Limitless28

What are the chances of getting a planning application granted for these type of houses: bigmantinyhomes. ie / designs / (remove spaces as I can't post any links).
    A 2 bed for less than 60K plus the cost of the land and other misc costs is a no brainer. I can even see a group of 5 or 6 people buying a decent piece of land and building these houses to avoid paying the current mad prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ontheditch2

What are the chances of getting a planning application granted for these type of houses: bigmantinyhomes. ie / designs / (remove spaces as I can't post any links).
    A 2 bed for less than 60K plus the cost of the land and other misc costs is a no brainer. I can even see a group of 5 or 6 people buying a decent piece of land and building these houses to avoid paying the current mad prices.

Read about something you are suggesting before.
    Bunch of people, let's say 10 who all wanted to buy a house, joined forces, bought plot of land then employed a builder to the build the 10 houses. Worked out way cheaper as builder was bulk building on the one site, water/ electricity connections etc were all split as opposed to 1 person building a new house somewhere on their own.
    Don't even know if it was in Ireland (probably wasn't) but seems like a great idea.

I was chatting with an estate agent about selling my house i bought over a year ago, he told me the market has not moved at all and i would be lucky if i got 240 on a house i paid 235 for last year. This house is based in a decent area of cork and right next to the link. Definitely a slowdown, i was getting it valued as i have decided to move out to the country

I find this crazy... how did you make the decision to spend €235,000 on a house that you weren't sure you'd want to live in... to sell after a year seems to be poor descision making... BTW, if you get 240k for it thats a 2% gain... thats okay for a years investment... what were you expecting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

5k gain on a house purchase is a loss, half of it would have gone on stamp duty & more than the rest on solicitor fees between the two transactions.

However - circumstances change, he could have a job offer from abroad or many other unpredictable events.. No need to be so judgy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,775 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I find this crazy... how did you make the decision to spend €235,000 on a house that you weren't sure you'd want to live in... to sell after a year seems to be poor descision making... BTW, if you get 240k for it thats a 2% gain... thats okay for a years investment... what were you expecting?
    Probably no profit when you take into account solicitors fees, moving costs etc

gmisk wrote: »
    Probably no profit when you take into account solicitors fees, moving costs etc

Who tries to make a profit on property after a year... dilusional... It's not 2007

5k gain on a house purchase is a loss, half of it would have gone on stamp duty & more than the rest on solicitor fees between the two transactions.

However - circumstances change, he could have a job offer from abroad or many other unpredictable events.. No need to be so judgy.

I'm not being judgemental... just shocked

BTW, he stated clearly that he had decided do move to a more rural location... I'm sure everyone experiences various circumnstances... but...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Who tries to make a profit on property after a year... dilusional... It's not 2007

OP never said he did this trying to make a profit from the outset. His circumstances have changed. Sometimes life gets in the way of best laid plans.

aloooof wrote: »
    OP never said he tried did this trying to make a profit from the outset. His circumstances have changed. Sometimes life gets in the way of best laid plans.

I didn't raise the question of profit... I was only responding to another poster.

BTW. I am aware that life can get in the way, however, property purchase is a massive investment and for many requires years of planning and there are some very tough questions that need to be answered in order to complete the purchase. Even considering life changing events, a year is a very swift reaction time...

I didn't raise the question of profit... I was only responding to another poster.

BTW. I am aware that life can get in the way, however, property purchase is a massive investment and for many requires years of planning and there are some very tough questions that need to be answered in order to complete the purchase. Even considering life changing events, a year is a very swift reaction time...

Well the OP has just lived for a year effectively rent free, the cost will be time & effort, so while it might be a bit of a pain, it's not exactly the worst outcome.

Well the OP has just lived for a year effectively rent free, the cost will be time & effort, so while it might be a bit of a pain, it's not exactly the worst outcome.

But his original complaint was that the property only made a 5k gain after a year...

But his original complaint was that the property only made a 5k gain after a year...

He gave property price information in the Property Market 2019 thread. I didn't see the complaint..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

They had to pay their mortgage, money of the capital they get back but fair bit would have been interest, especially in first year.
    Definitely cheaper than renting equivalent property but not free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

cruizer101 wrote: »
    They had to pay their mortgage, money of the capital they get back but fair bit would have been interest, especially in first year.
    Definitely cheaper than renting equivalent property but not free.

Depending on circumstances, the biggest issue for the OP would be the loss of FTB status without any real financial gain. Hopefully his next house is a bit cheaper and makes it worthwhile

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement