Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Use UPS with Alexa to power on/off PC

Options
  • 01-01-2019 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Before i go spend money on something that may not work, would like some opinions. It might be what people are doing or you have experience with UPS devices.

I want a way for Alexa to power on and off the PC in my sitting room (i use it for all media comsumption). Its easy to buy a socket to power on and off (already have them), but obviously need a graceful shut down of the PC and i want to power PC on by command as well.

I was thinking if i got a UPS (say small APC with powerchute) and install the software on the PC to shut down gracefully. My thinking is

1. Alexa powers off the socket UPS is connected to
    2. UPS registers no power and gracefully shuts down PC.

3. Alexa powers on the socket
    4. UPS registers power and PC/UPS are set to automatically power on once power is restored.

Any reasons this wont work?.

I like to power off PC, not leave in hibernate.

Thanks,
    Paddy

Comments

Advertisement