Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed for resigning

Options
  • 01-01-2019 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

I could do with a little advice about leaving my current job and providing my employer with the reasons for leaving. I'm not sure how honest I should be about the situation.

The two main reasons I have for wanting to leave are the lack of hours and the behavior of the assistant manager. He can be aggressive and condescending towards staff and I'm not the only person who's noticed his behavior. I mentioned it to the manager a few months back and she sorted the situation out for me. At least one other person that I know of has complained about his behavior too. She's leaving later this month for a new job and over the past week or so, I've noticed that the assistant manager's behavior has started to change back to the way it used to be. Quite frankly, I don't want to work in this type of environment.

He'll be the temporary manager until someone new is hired for the job and it's possible he may be promoted to manager at the end of the process. I know HR have spoken to him about his behavior towards staff so they are aware of how he's behaved in the past.

I'd like to be able to use the company as a reference when applying for new jobs going forward so I'm not sure if I should just keep the resignation letter short and sweet or let them know the real reasons why I am leaving.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Do you want to leave and make a fresh start somewhere else, or get a pointless dig in at the individual mentioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

Keep your resignation letter short and sweet. Just say you're giving x months notice and your last day will be y.

If they want more info, let them come to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Tamoreit

Thanks, I'm just looking for a fresh start elsewhere to be honest. I haven't been happy working in my current job for a few months now due to the reasons I stated above. I suppose it would be a pointless dig if I mentioned the assistant manager in the letter, I wasn't thinking of it like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Tamoreit wrote: »
    Thanks, I'm just looking for a fresh start elsewhere to be honest. I haven't been happy working in my current job for a few months now due to the reasons I stated above. I suppose it would be a pointless dig if I mentioned the assistant manager in the letter, I wasn't thinking of it like that.

There’s no need at all to give a reason for leaving in your letter of resignation. Just say that you will be leaving on such and such a date and that you would appreciate if they could have your P45 and any annual leave or TOIL entitlement ready on that date.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

+1 that you don't need to give a detailed reason to leave a job. It's your choice where you work, no-one can force you into a job.

My advice, keep it short and simple. "I've decided to explore other opportunities and I'll be finishing with on X date"

Regarding references, in my experience many companies and managers won't give you a reference like they did in the past. The most they'll give is a confirmation that you worked there and your job title, nothing more

Basically they don't want any risk of being sued for defamation of character if they say anything negative about you.

Finally, regarding looking for a new job, try to secure one before giving notice. Other than the obvious financial reasons, it demonstrates responsibility toward a new employer, and negates any idea that you're leaving because of any difficulty with your current job

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

If HR are already on the case then leave it out of your resignation.

It will be easier to get a reference and even return down the line should that option occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

If the lack of hours was fixed would you stay there?

If so, I would once again attempt to get the Assistant Manager's behaviour fixed up.

If your answer to the above is no, you still want to leave, then you should follow the golden rule: don't burn any bridges. So your resignation letter should not cause any trouble.

Advertisement