Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

If I remember correctly, the first week of the women's tournament, did the Dynamite announcers even mention that it was on? I know they mentioned it this week and showed the bracket. But I honestly can't remember if they did this in previous weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Good episode, delighted to see an appearance from Mike Chioda, hopefully he'll be a permanent fixture in AEW.

Really liked the tag team angle, FTR have to be heels, and as mentioned Ricky took the Spike Piledriver like a champ.

Cody/Sky had a really big match feel to it with Cody having the entourage entrance along with the new championship. I wouldn't be against Mr. Brodie Lee being the man to take it off Cody next week.

I find the criticism of the Deadly Draw a bit strange, AEW constantly get stick for not showcasing the women's division and then when they put a tournament on they still get criticised. I thought Brandy explained it well when she said it was on YouTube so that the competitors could have their own show and they also didn't have any time restraints to adhere to.

AEW 792,000, NXT didn't chart according to Alvarez.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,617 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

NXT ranked 62nd most watched show of the night.

AEW was 9th most watched show of the night.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

EfUN8IdX0AACstL?format=jpg&name=large

• Registered Users Posts: 29,080 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Neil3030 wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, the first week of the women's tournament, did the Dynamite announcers even mention that it was on? I know they mentioned it this week and showed the bracket. But I honestly can't remember if they did this in previous weeks.

It was mentioned because that's where Cameron/Ariane Andrew appeared before the tournament when Nyla Rose drew her as a partner

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Fun fact: Over the last eight Dynamites Kenny Omega alone has had over two and a half times the match time of the entire AEW women's division (86 minutes vs. 32)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Everytime they get to the 900k mark the next week seems to take a hit in ratings

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭ThePott

I find the criticism of the Deadly Draw a bit strange, AEW constantly get stick for not showcasing the women's division and then when they put a tournament on they still get criticised. I thought Brandy explained it well when she said it was on YouTube so that the competitors could have their own show and they also didn't have any time restraints to adhere to.
    I'm not trying to come off as an AEW hater, I like the product and want it to succeed but they just frequently come off as insincere at times.
    I genuinely think that reaction is exactly what they wanted. So they can say look, we are doing something with our female roster.

Is it really showcasing them to put them on Youtube for 3 weeks? You think the reaction would be the same if they did the tag tournament or TNT tournament on Youtube? Even that logic doesn't wash.

If you want to showcase them, why not do it on television instead of Youtube? If having their own show is a big deal, why not do it from now on and not just for 3 weeks? We can talk about time restraints all we want but of the 4 matches so far, only one has been over 10 minutes and just barely. If you look at the times of most Dynamite matches, that is abysmal, in fact consistently the shortest matches on Dynamite are the women's matches.

It reeks of lip service without putting in any actual effort.

Even putting aside that, the booking on Dynamite hasn't been much better. As mentioned, has any female champion had any worthwhile storyline since they launched? Shida has done next to nothing as champion and they just have her beating randoms in 5 minute matches for months now. AEW were very quick to shout about equality and opportunity but they're not following through when it comes to the women's roster imo. I guarantee if this was the 'other promotion' people would be up in arms and rightfully so.

I think AEW could do more with its women's roster but I also think when they get criticism for that and subsequently hold a women's tag team tournament and still get criticism it's a bit of a case of damned if they do, damned if they don't.

I also think that if there was no corona and some injuries and they were able to use the likes of Britt Baker, Kris Statlander, Riho, Yuka Sakazaki, Emi Sakura, Bea Priestly, Jamie Hayter, Shanna, Sadie Gibbs and others that the roster and tournament itself could be better. Are the likes of Rache Chanel, Leva Bates, Brandi and Dasha the wrestlers you want in +10 minute matches on Dynamite? I'm not sure.

I don't think it's damned if you do damned if you don't. I just think you can't talk about how you're showcasing them when in reality you're just shoving them onto Youtube and expecting people to be satisfied with it. Meanwhile they're promoting a platform for women when they don't give their female talent much time to shine. It's the insincerity, I mentioned again.

I know they've had injuries and travel restrictions but so has the male roster, you can book around it. You can't say we don't have a women's roster to work with right now while at the same time having a whole women's tournament. If they can make a whole tournament they can absolutely make a decent match for Dynamite. Aside from Fyter Fest in the last two months, only one women's match has had 10 minutes on Dynamite and just barely at that. Even if there were short matches if it built on a story or they had some development it would be excusable but they rarely do. Most of the matches are barely 5 minutes. Shorten some of the indulgent entrances and you could probably solve it.

Let's be honest if there is anyway to hide someone being green it is in a tag bout in a well booked match. They can very easily make matches or build stories with the talent they have but choose not to. Like seriously, it feels like people are afraid to critique AEW because it looks like you're anti-competition but they frequently bottle it with their women on the roster and have been doing so for a long time. Like as someone mentioned above and I alluded to, they had a tag team appreciation night and didn't have any matches from their tag tournament.
    From the beginning they could just have had put one match from the tournament a week and had the final at All-Out and actually build something and give the roster some proper exposure. Is Shida even going to have an opponent for All Out or are they going to throw something together last second cause all the other feuds are building already.

AEW have done an excellent job at a lot of things but I don't see how anyone couldn't see this is as a valid criticism and as mentioned before I do think if this was WWE then there'd already be a hashtag about it. AEW rarely give the women a chance to shine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,452 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I think AEW could do more with its women's roster but I also think when they get criticism for that and subsequently hold a women's tag team tournament and still get criticism it's a bit of a case of damned if they do, damned if they don't.

I also think that if there was no corona and some injuries and they were able to use the likes of Britt Baker, Kris Statlander, Riho, Yuka Sakazaki, Emi Sakura, Bea Priestly, Jamie Hayter, Shanna, Sadie Gibbs and others that the roster and tournament itself could be better. Are the likes of Rache Chanel, Leva Bates, Brandi and Dasha the wrestlers you want in +10 minute matches on Dynamite? I'm not sure.

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2020/08/sadie-gibbs-confirms-aew-departure-after-roster-removals-673514

Sadie gone

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Jimmy Havoc & Bea Priestley gone too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

There are leaks going around for next weeks show but it sounds amazing!

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Jimmy Havoc & Bea Priestley gone too.
    T Hawk and El Lindaman as well apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 38,359 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

would Cody be in gorilla ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

PTH2009 wrote: »
    would Cody be in gorilla ?

Yes but I think they call it the Dusty position.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Then whats a Dusty finish? A Jericho finish?

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Then whats a Dusty finish? A Jericho finish?

Nah usually they just tape a bunch of cats together

Tag Team semi-finals.

The Nightmare Sisters vs Big Swole and Lil' Swole.

Anna Jay and Tay Conti vs Diamante and Ivelisse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

This whole Big Swole thing is cringey, or maybe I'm just not with "it" anymore. Wasn't she squaring up to one of the male roster monsters during a match that she was meant to just be a bystander? Brutal stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

This whole Big Swole thing is cringey, or maybe I'm just not with "it" anymore. Wasn't she squaring up to one of the male roster monsters during a match that she was meant to just be a bystander? Brutal stuff.

I actually like Big Swole as i feel she could be a big star in the making. Hopefully Brandi/Allie dont win the cup as i feel either Demante/Evilesse would benefit more from the win to help establish them but i sadly think Brandi/Allie will win.

I do agree with a few people about the AEW womens division they seems to be no real stories for them bar Swole vs Baker which ive enjoyed. Shida is great but she has had no programme since beating Nyla for the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Kinda feels like the tournament was created for when Brandi/Allie wins then one turns on the other or costs them the win

OK, so I have this right - Allie was initially the heel, manipulating QT. But Brandi was gullible enough to form a tag team with her.

Now it looks like Brandi is the heel, taking credit for the wins and acting deluded, and Allie is trying to look like the sympathetic babyface who is doing all the work.

But you have Brandi, the heroic babyface, fighting for a more inclusive environment for women in wrestling.

So who turns on who, when this supposed heel turn comes? And why should anyone care one iota?

I like MJF but I find this campaign stuff to be terrible.

Especially the "shoot" promos like "you're used to people looking up at the lights for you, John".

Hate it

Neil3030 wrote: »
    And why should anyone care one iota?

Line of brilliance.

They’ve done nothing to get people invested in this women’s tag tournament. And all it’s going to do is try and get Stephanie Rhodes over.

Excellent Veda is on comms for Dark with Taz & Tony, I really hope they keep her around as Veda will be a huge assist to AEW.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

Loughc wrote: »
    Line of brilliance.

They’ve done nothing to get people invested in this women’s tag tournament. And all it’s going to do is try and get Stephanie Rhodes over.

Well I for one am invested in it and can't wait to see how the final transpires.

Also really liking Brandi at the moment which is strange as I have never been a fan of hers.

Well I for one am invested in it and can't wait to see how the final transpires.

Also really liking Brandi at the moment which is strange as I have never been a fan of hers.

Same, it's been an enjoyable watch on YT, nothing ground breaking but far from terrible. I hope Diamante & Ivelisse take the trophy home, both very impressive in AEW so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Ricky Starks promo on Dark vs Darby Allin was fire. “I’m too handsome to be hardcore , meanwhile you look like you were raised on dog food and dope”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Omackeral wrote: »
    Ricky Starks promo on Dark vs Darby Allin was fire. “I’m too handsome to be hardcore , meanwhile you look like you were raised on dog food and dope”.

Ricky is great. I had never seen or heard anything about him before AEW but looking forward to seeing where they go with him. I think he has more upside than some of the guys like Jungle Boy at the moment.

Advertisement