Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,617 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Nice piece in Sports Illustrated on Robert Anthony who has been jobbing in AEW.

Schoolteacher Robert Anthony Spends His Summer Vacation Wrestling for AEW
    Jon Moxley on Robert Anthony: ‘In this world of psychopaths and wacky characters, he’s a teacher, which makes him a superhero’
    Robert “Ego” Anthony kicked off his summer vacation with a June match on Dark against All Elite Wrestling world champion Jon Moxley.

“It was cool to share the ring with a friend of mine,” says Moxley. “It was only a couple days after Double or Nothing, which was an absolutely brutal, brutal match against Brodie Lee. I was having a hard time even walking, let alone even wrestling. But I wasn’t about to say I was too beat up, I still wanted to go in there and whoop Rob’s ass.”

An elementary school teacher in Illinois, Anthony has spent the past 18 years savoring his time in the ring. He grew close with Moxley during their time together in CZW, a career-altering run for Moxley. It was also one that presented an entirely different perspective of professional wrestling for Anthony, a stark contrast from his time in the WWE developmental system.

Moxley and Anthony wrestled in Philadelphia at the famed former ECW Arena in 2010, and each wore a chip on his shoulder to prove his worth to the wrestling business.

“Mox took me to a place where no one ever had,” says Anthony. “We did it in an amazing way. And we did this one amazing bump, one that the whole match built toward.”

A showcase of two hungry talents seeking to craft an unforgettable story in the ring, the match is compelling but remains overshadowed by a magical—and pain-inducing—spot, that saw Moxley powerbomb Anthony onto shattered glass.

“I remember that night very fondly,” says Moxley. “A lot of the guys in CZW were gnarly—guys like Brain Damage and Necro Butcher. But Robert looked great, like a prototypical WWE guy. He did a thing where he was wearing a mask, but he took off the mask and was doing this pretty boy thing trying to be anti-ultra-violence.

“We told a nice story with a lot of psychology, then I popped his cherry and sent him into the glass.”

Anthony has not forgotten that spot, one that still causes his wife to cringe every time it is discussed.

“It hurt like hell,” admitted Anthony. “But the pain was so much worse on the 12-hour ride home.”

The 38-year-old Anthony is a wrestling veteran in any locker room he enters. He has worked for indies and big promotions across the country. Originally scooped up by WWE in the winter of 2005, he trained under the guidance of Harley Race. For WWE, he took off the mask he wore as Egotistico Fantastico and wrestled as Robert Anthony. That was the period when WWE was in the midst of transitioning its developmental program to Florida under the FCW banner, and though Anthony benefited from learning from WWE’s top coaches, he never gained the momentum necessary to grow within the company. He was released in the spring of 2008, a devastating blow that ultimately led to the rebirth of his career in CZW.

Anthony then found his calling. He went back to school and earned his teaching degree. Over time, the child infatuated with stardom, just like his idol the “Macho Man” Randy Savage, grew up. He still wrestled on the weekends, but life’s priorities consisted of his responsibilities as a husband, father and teacher.

“I stayed in shape and I have always loved wrestling, but I was getting to the point where I was ready to retire,” says Anthony. “Then Mox texted me at 1 in the morning, telling me we were going to wrestle. I couldn’t believe it. That’s how I started my summer vacation.”

https://www.si.com/wrestling/2020/08/19/aew-robert-anthony-jon-moxley

https://twitter.com/Egos1313/status/1295173474894385153?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Neil3030 wrote: »
    OK, so I have this right - Allie was initially the heel, manipulating QT. But Brandi was gullible enough to form a tag team with her.

Now it looks like Brandi is the heel, taking credit for the wins and acting deluded, and Allie is trying to look like the sympathetic babyface who is doing all the work.

But you have Brandi, the heroic babyface, fighting for a more inclusive environment for women in wrestling.

So who turns on who, when this supposed heel turn comes? And why should anyone care one iota?
    Sounds like someone across the other way tbh.

AEW 0 and didn't rank.

NXT 853K and ranked the 23rd most watch cable show of the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

AEW allowing fans back at 10 - 15% capacity from the 27th im not sure thats a good idea in florida even with distancing controls etc

https://twitter.com/WrestlingSheet/status/1296480909571624962?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 23,171 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

"Sloppy shop."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

15 percent of fans will suck.

Giant screens will suck.

Nothing can compare to a full arena of fans. Its just not the same.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    15 percent of fans will suck.

Giant screens will suck.

Nothing can compare to a full arena of fans. Its just not the same.

The world is not the same as it was 6 months ago and may never be again.

The world is not the same as it was 6 months ago and may never be again.

Oh I get that, but wrestling is being seriously damaged by the lack of fans. It just isnt half as appealing. AEW was doing so well, they had so much momentum and it was all lost. The product just isnt the same (its still better than WWE main shows but that's not hard).

I fear it will be awhile before it can gain that momentum back. Fanless/small sized fans gatherings dont do the show justice and it suffers no matter how much the in ring work is.

The atmosphere is just gone, the wrestlers have nothing to feed off of or react to. Its just getting harder and harder to watch despite the best efforts to do what they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Ricky Starks is quickly becoming the best thing on Dynamite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

That was the best episode of Dynamite to date. That ending was spectacular.

• Advertisement

Fantastic episode.

Also I wonder are the Khan's buying NWA off Corgan as there were rumours he was going to close it down.

Using the NWA brand on TNT for nostalgia reasons for 6 months to a year as they blend it into the AEW brand might draw back lapsed older fans from down south.

Saturday night might just be the right night to have that second show on as for nostalgia reasons as well in the States.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Cracking episode, delighted Mr. Brodie Lee did the business, the Dark Order have become such a better stable recently. Wonder what's next up for Cody?

And Thunder Rosa to AEW? Yes please, she's a class act.

That TNT match was brutal, like Bane pummelling Bruce in TDKR

Tremendous angle and match to end the show

Haven’t liked the use of Brodie up to this moment but that was so good

How on earth did they all keep straight faces during the MJF promo (Nina aside, which itself was a wonderful touch).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Big Swole should of saved Cody, looked like she was ready to throw down with Brodie when he was wrecking the place

Still taken aback by the booking of the TNT title. Did not expect that coming at all.

AEW really coming into its own between Kenny snapping and Cody battered. And then there's Thunder Rosa, Eddie Kingston and Ricky Starks invading from NWA. Wrestling hasn't felt like this in a long time for me.

So refreshing to see that Angle, you dont see one sided swuashs between two apparent equals.

Would have looked great in front of a packed house.

sky88 wrote: »
    Tremendous angle and match to end the show

Haven’t liked the use of Brodie up to this moment but that was so good

Same, his act of being a parody of McMahon isnt top tier stuff, but that match made him look better than the rest if hus ASW tenure combined.

It just goes to show, you can be doing nothing spectacular for months, then one hot angle can undo all that.

Delighted for Lee, he seems to be a great guy behind the scenes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Genetic Jackhammer

Imagine if Randy had jumped with FTR and was the leader of the new Horsemen.

So Hangman, FTR and ? with Tully as manager.

Pity Death Triangle is finished now Pac can't get back to the Sates.

A heel turn could be what the doctor ordered for Scorpio Sky, maybe he'd be the 4th horseman?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

Just caught up with Dynamite!

What a brilliant ending!

Absolutely stunned as I didn't see that squash coming in a million years!

Having the fans there would of been so awesome!

Absolutely delighted for Brodie Lee!

Came across as an absolute monster!

Really hope in time they will do the same with The Murderhawk Monster Lance Archer!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Pretty much agree with what has already been said in this thread, this episode was fantastic from start to finish.

Interested to see what they do with Kingston and Lucha Bros/Butcher & Blade, Kenny once again teasing a turn was great, the right winners for the Womens Cup(i was worried that Nightmare Sisters were gonna steal it), MJF promo was great.

Tbh dont know much about Ricky Stark but he definitely has it and will be a great feud between him and Darby.

Was shocked with the main event but it was the right way to do it especially to help Lee get over as a monster. Again i was worried that Cody would kick out of the clothesline and if they would have had a packed crowd there would have been some shock on peoples faces. The ending was also fantastic and showed that the Dark Order are not to be messed with.

I hope they keep Cody off TV for a few weeks just to build the story and not have him back full health by All Out etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Hager/Stunt announced for Dark tomorrow night, bit of a mismatch there :D

Also the Initiative vs Luther & Sepentico, if they're ever going to pick up a victory surely that's the chance! Still wouldn't back them though!

the more i watch this mjf stuff the worse it gets its like bruce & vince have produced/written this stuff since the feud with moxley began

• Registered Users Posts: 23,171 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Know nothing about Eddie Kingston but he has an effortless promo and charm about him. The wink to the camera was so good.

Moxley on the other hand is just generic "bad-ass" crap a lot of the time.

755k and the 5th ranked cable show on Saturday night behind 3 NBA games and the UFC in 4th place which pulled 889k

Really good numbers for a show that started at 6:34pm.

• Advertisement

What was the wink about? Was Kingston bull****ting the four of them?

Advertisement