Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,617 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Shaquille O'Neal wants to be All Elite after signing a big money deal with TNT.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,171 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Tyson and Shaq. More WWE wash-ups. Who's next? Trump? Cody would probably love that, being the big MAGA-head he is.

Cody been written off as he is off to star in Stephen Amell's new wrestling series Heels.

https://twitter.com/StephenAmell/status/1297936768960954371?s=20

Loving the commentary between Veda, Taz & Tony.

They had been leading up to this exchange all episode of Dark

Taz to Veda were you not taught to use pronouns in Lawyer school.

Veda sorry Taz.. As she Veda inserts wrestler name instead he/she.

Tony it's ok Veda, Taz was just brow beaten in a previous life a commentator.

Taz sorry Veda Tony is right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

i only just noticed this where has Excalibur been last few weeks

• Advertisement

sky88 wrote: »
    i only just noticed this where has Excalibur been last few weeks

A video of Himself and Kevin Owens using a racial slur at an event from years ago was put online. He took himself off TV so not effect AEW. By all accounts he will return around or just after All Out.

They both used the words and regretted it straight away and apologised to the fans at the time.
    As we previously reported, Excalibur was not used for this past Wednesday’s AEW Dynamite, and while no official reason was given, it’s believed he was pulled due to an angle from 17 years ago. In that PWG angle, he called Human Tornado the ‘n’ word.

The Wrestling Observer Newsletter reports (although it isn’t confirmed) that Excalibur was the one who made the call to not appear on Dynamite, as he didn’t want to make that issue the focus of the show. There is currently no word on if he’ll be back next week. As previously noted, he was in Florida for the tapings and just wasn’t used.

The Observer notes that in the years since the angle happened, all the wrestlers involved (Excalibur, Kevin Owens and Disco Machine) regretted it and have apologized, with Steen doing so publicly in an interview. Human Tornado had reportedly asked heels to use racial stuff against him, including that word. The AEW announcer has said he has regretting doing it multiple times.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

In other words, he was caught acting like an absolute tool and has not yet conjured up the stones to own it publicly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Neil3030 wrote: »
    In other words, he was caught acting like an absolute tool and has not yet conjured up the stones to own it publicly.

He has addressed this numerous times in the past, publicly apologised and admitted it was a mistake. Of course the woke army are there to bring it all back up for social media points in 2020.

He has addressed this numerous times in the past, publicly apologised and admitted it was a mistake. Of course the woke army are there to bring it all back up for social media points in 2020.

Where has he addressed it? And if he's so willing to address it, why has he bounced, without any explanation, for over a month? Complete radio silence, AEW, his own Twitter, everywhere.

He's now on a national TV broadcast, where the stakes are a lot higher than they are when running an Independent show in a small town in California. You accordingly face a higher degree of public scrutiny. And yes, no matter what the context, who asked you to say, etc., if footage surfaces of you repeatedly saying the n-word, you should probably, at best, have the conviction and respect to explain to your new audience why you thought it was OK at the time, and let this new audience appraise your explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Maybe he has explained it, but behind closed doors to those who it really matters to. Those who sign his paychecks. Not everything has to, or should be publicly apologized for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,171 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

It was 17 years ago as part of a wrestling promo/angle. Is it any different than Charlie saying the N word in It's Always Sunny?

It was part of a performance, not a klan rally.

Where has he addressed it? And if he's so willing to address it, why has he bounced, without any explanation, for over a month? Complete radio silence, AEW, his own Twitter, everywhere.

He's now on a national TV broadcast, where the stakes are a lot higher than they are when running an Independent show in a small town in California. You accordingly face a higher degree of public scrutiny. And yes, no matter what the context, who asked you to say, etc., if footage surfaces of you repeatedly saying the n-word, you should probably, at best, have the conviction and respect to explain to your new audience why you thought it was OK at the time, and let this new audience appraise your explanation.

Does he owe people an explanation in 2020 for something that happened 17 years ago? If he gets another gig in WWE for arguments sake and it's brought up again, does he owe all those new fans an explanation? When do we say enough is enough on this kinda thing? Wrestlers are performers, much like actors. Should all actors who use such terms come under fire? It's in the script, right?

If a white comedian used the n-word to get cheap laughs 17 years ago, and this surfaced within a year of them landing a role on a national TV show today, I'd expect them to address it yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

J. Marston wrote: »

It was part of a performance, not a klan rally.

I read that as 'Khan rally' for a second!

If a white comedian used the n-word to get cheap laughs 17 years ago, and this surfaced within a year of them landing a role on a national TV show today, I'd expect them to address it yes.

Has Vince ever addressed his n-word incident? Do you still watch his shows? Just an odd stance to take so I'm curious. Own any Hogan merch?

Not telling you how to live your life, but probably best not to set your standards by what sort of behaviour WWE tolerate.

If people are getting up in arms over something Excalibur said 17 years ago, I wonder what people today would make of Axl Rose using the F & N words on One In A Million 32 years ago, though he did rightly get crucified for it back in 1988/1989. Still remains on all physical and the digital versions of GN'R Lies.

What happened back then in a different time, should in my opinion be left there.

So just to get a gauge - who here would have seen no issue using the n-word in their daily life in 2003?

The "it was 17 years ago" argument implies some profound difference between contexts, then and now, and I'm not so sure that stacks up.

I wouldn't have known or heard about it in 2003 anyways, as I was only 10 years old at the time.

The use of it back then wasn't made such a big deal of because everyone wasn't as digitally connected. Now? Now everything gets scrutinized to the minutiae with people looking to score points/settles grudges against X,Y, or Z, or who can be more politically correct.

What happened to being allowed to make mistakes, learn from them, and never to repeat them?

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    I wouldn't have known or heard about it in 2003 anyways, as I was only 10 years old at the time.

The use of it back then wasn't made such a big deal of because everyone wasn't as digitally connected. Now? Now everything gets scrutinized to the minutiae with people looking to score points/settles grudges against X,Y, or Z, or who can be more politically correct.

What happened to being allowed to make mistakes, learn from them, and never to repeat them?

That is not allowed anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I also think there’s a difference in using it in a racist way and what I feel like this was an idiotic manner from exaculibur and ko after looking at it today

That is not allowed anymore.

I guess not, especially if you want to make it in the Entertainment business. Dot your i's & cross your t's, and watch what you say, lest you want the consequences to come raining down on you via the internet mob.

Well then I guess that puts me around 10 years older than you. By 2003 I was certainly aware of the word, what it stood for, and knew never to use it. This appears consistent with the environment you grew up in, i.e., if you weren't aware of the word by age 10, it probably means the people in your life didn't use it.

I'm not aware there even is an angry mob here. I'm certainly not pulling for him to be fired, and I haven't even requested he apologize. In my eyes, he used a stupid, cheap, approach to draw an emotional response from a live crowd. Like I hinted at before, it's analogous to a comedian using the word to get cheap laughs - it's one thing if you operate in local bars and clubs, but if you ascend to a national audience, people will eventually find out, and at the very least look for evidence that you've moved on.

So the longer he just remains silent, the more it looks like he and AEW are just hoping it will blow over. That's what I take issue with, as this does nothing to assure people that he is aware he made a mistake, that he's learned from it or indeed that he will not do it again.

Well then I guess that puts me around 10 years older than you. By 2003 I was certainly aware of the word, what it stood for, and knew never to use it. This appears consistent with the environment you grew up in, i.e., if you weren't aware of the word by age 10, it probably means the people in your life didn't use it.

I'm not aware there even is an angry mob here. I'm certainly not pulling for him to be fired, and I haven't even requested he apologize. In my eyes, he used a stupid, cheap, approach to draw an emotional response from a live crowd. Like I hinted at before, it's analogous to a comedian using the word to get cheap laughs - it's one thing if you operate in local bars and clubs, but if you ascend to a national audience, people will eventually find out, and at the very least look for evidence that you've moved on.

So the longer he just remains silent, the more it looks like he and AEW are just hoping it will blow over. That's what I take issue with, as this does nothing to assure people that he is aware he made a mistake, that he's learned from it or indeed that he will not do it again.

Kevin Owens is front and center on WWE TV right do you have an issue with him and Vince?

As you have been told by a number of posters both have addressed the issue numerous times and apologized for it so how many more times should they have to do it to please you?

[/B]

Kevin Owens is front and center on WWE TV right do you have an issue with him and Vince?

As you have been told by a number of posters both have addressed the issue numerous times and apologized for it so how many more times should they have to do it to please you?

I don't watch WWE.

I also can't find anywhere Excalibur has addressed this. If you could link me I'd appreciate it.

Well the 93 in my username is a subtle hint to my age, using 1993 would've been a bit overkill. As for not being aware of the connotations of the N word at the age of 10, you'd be half correct in your summation. That and childhood naivety to the world at large at that age.

The angry mob was more a tongue in cheek allusion as to how uppity things have got in real life as people have gotten more digitally connected. Which surely isn't a coincidence. There's a thesis idea for someone.

And why would Excalibur need to apologize for something he's already apologized for, you are the only one kicking up a storm over a near 2 decade old incident. Why pull a Pet Sematary in resurrecting a stupid incident that doesn't really need resurrecting and reminding people.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Well the 93 in my username is a subtle hint to my age, using 1993 would've been a bit overkill. As for not being aware of the connotations of the N word at the age of 10, you'd be half correct in your summation. That and childhood naivety to the world at large at that age.

The angry mob was more a tongue in cheek allusion as to how uppity things have got in real life as people have gotten more digitally connected. Which surely isn't a coincidence. There's a thesis idea for someone.

And why would Excalibur need to apologize for something he's already apologized for, you are the only one kicking up a storm over a near 2 decade old incident. Why pull a Pet Sematary in resurrecting a stupid incident that doesn't really need resurrecting and reminding people.

Well as soon as someone asks him to apologize you can ask them this question?

Just to be clear, in case you missed it - in the very post you quote, I point out that I don't even think he needs to apologize.

So just to get a gauge - who here would have seen no issue using the n-word in their daily life in 2003?

The "it was 17 years ago" argument implies some profound difference between contexts, then and now, and I'm not so sure that stacks up.

"Daily life"? Where are you getting this from? The wrestler in question requested them to use it as part of a script for an entertainment show. If that's the case, I can never watch the Wire or a multitude of other shows, or even the new Lovecraft Country show for use of the word.

"Daily life"? Where are you getting this from? The wrestler in question requested them to use it as part of a script for an entertainment show. If that's the case, I can never watch the Wire or a multitude of other shows, or even the new Lovecraft Country show for use of the word.

The Wire wasn't in front of a live audience with the specific intent of generating an emotional response. You can see the difference, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

People tend to grow and mature in the better part of two decades. When I was in school, for example, it was pretty much alright to call someone a fag or a retard as a slagging. Wouldn’t fly nowadays. Same with calling someone a “tranny”. Not acceptable anymore and I’ve no issue with that.

Advertisement