Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Neil3030 wrote: »
    The Wire wasn't in front of a live audience with the specific intent of generating an emotional response. You can see the difference, right?

Of course I can, but how does putting something in a script to elicit an emotional response from the audience differ from a live performance versus one from a viewing audience? It's designed to clearly cause shock and paint the person as a bad guy. It's the same in both scenarios in my view and neither scenario is worse than the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

The Wire used dialogue to try accurately portray how characters in East Baltimore would talk to each other, it wasn't done to cause shock and establish villains.

EDIT: As an aside, were there actually any good characters in the wire?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Omackeral wrote: »
    People tend to grow and mature in the better part of two decades.

Agreed. It seems a very "internet" mentality to actively avoid growth and maturity. Whatever you thought years ago is whatever you believe in for the rest of time. There's an aversion to updating your stance based on facts, knowledge and experience.

Side note, being bombarded with the hardcore echo chamber of twitter, it's really nice to be alongside sanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Yeh I don't see why people can't have the chance to learn from stupid mistakes they made years ago. I certainly said stupid things in the past, and I think if most people are honest they would say the same. Some people in 2020 just want to be permanently outraged.

Getting back to wrestling, the Janela & Kiss VS TH2 main on Dark was really good, bit of a slog to get to though, 13 matches on this weeks episode! Looking forward to the table and gauntlet matches tonight on Dynamite.

You'd swear half the people on Twitter never played a game of COD:Modern Warfare 2 back in the day, the things people would say :D Anyway! Excalibur back tonight, hopefully they can follow Saturdays strong show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,616 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Live fans in Daily's Place with 10% capacity all wearing masks and a good gap between them.

Vince won't be happy that he isn't the first.

Team Taz vs Jake and Archer :)

Using Corgan and NWA footage with the promo for the woman's match.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Really good episode, thought the contract signing was very well done, delighted they avoided the stale WWE trope of it descending into violence, much better to keep them physically apart as much as possible before the match. Loved the Zandig and Onita name drops too.

The build for All Out has really picked up, it's not often I'd look forward to a Battle Royale but this should be good, can't wait to see Cage and Archer clash.

The video package for Rosa and Shida was really well done, always enjoy it when wrestling promotions cross over, just makes things seem more legit.

Was Matt Jackson cutting a promo or auditioning for a remake of Dawson's Creek?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Was Matt Jackson cutting a promo or auditioning for a remake of Dawson's Creek?

One of the most punchable faces in all of professional wrestling. Imagine the Butcher losing to that dork.

One of the most punchable faces in all of professional wrestling. Imagine the Butcher losing to that dork.

They so need to be a heel team it's not even funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

The Wire wasn't in front of a live audience with the specific intent of generating an emotional response. You can see the difference, right?

Why does a live audience matter?

When Ed Norton uses it in American History X it is designed to generate an emotional response.

Isnt wrestling and most acting designed to geneate emotional responses.

Anger, sadness, happiness?

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Why does a live audience matter?

When Ed Norton uses it in American History X it is designed to generate an emotional response.

Isnt wrestling and most acting designed to geneate emotional responses.

Anger, sadness, happiness?

Wrestling creates a very pantomime style of conflict, because the resolution is so primitive - a guy getting fake beat up. This is why heels tend not to touch on very serious issues to get heat, because those issues will still exist after the audience leaves the arena.

There's mastery in drawing the right kind of heat, e.g., MJF. But say an English guy came out at an Independent show in Dublin and started slagging off the famine, or the victims of Bloody Sunday or some other very serious issue. To me, that's not working, there's no art in that, and I'm not sure I'd be rushing back to see that sort of thing again.

American History X set out to portray a man's path to redemption, illustrating both how he got into and out of a mindset and life of bigotry and hatred, and ultimately how this cycle will continue
    (his brother getting murdered at the end)
    because the problem is bigger than one individual. The audience learns something through the accurate depiction of a harsh but believable story, and maybe society gets a tiny bit better informed as a consequence.

Excalibur doing the favours after dropping the n-bomb... not really the same thing, is it?

813k holding steady the 11th ranked show in Thursday night.

8 of the top ten shows were Fox & CNN News shows on the RNC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

In reference to Neill, if for instance something was said about Bloddy Sunday by a wrestler and you never return, are you effectively ruling out a storyline that could ultimately lead to a path to redemption?

I feel wrestling should deal with more real world topics to be fair, i dont see why as an entertainment format certain topics are frowned upon by the wrestling community. Making storylines out of real world situations such as Hardys substance issues or drake mavericks firing are totally fair game if the talent involved are fair game.

Bully Ray wanted to bring his Bully character to WWE that he said would eventually lead to him learning his lesson and becoming a real world advocate for their be a star programme. Thats very intuitive, showing people the errors of their ways.

Their are some harsh realities in this world that exist and can and should be explored in the world of professional wrestling, not neccesarily a pg product , but in the industry, certainly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Dipping into Dynamite again. Bit put off by the minimal camera cuts and the reasonably logical storylines. It won't catch on.

All joking aside it's really impressive again can easily see this becoming the show I prioritise though I'll always have a sentimental loyalty for WWE and will keep an eye on it. Bought a monthly Fite subscription so I'm not limited to ITV4 schedules.

Sirsok wrote: »
    In reference to Neill, if for instance something was said about Bloddy Sunday by a wrestler and you never return, are you effectively ruling out a storyline that could ultimately lead to a path to redemption?

I feel wrestling should deal with more real world topics to be fair, i dont see why as an entertainment format certain topics are frowned upon by the wrestling community. Making storylines out of real world situations such as Hardys substance issues or drake mavericks firing are totally fair game if the talent involved are fair game.

Bully Ray wanted to bring his Bully character to WWE that he said would eventually lead to him learning his lesson and becoming a real world advocate for their be a star programme. Thats very intuitive, showing people the errors of their ways.

Their are some harsh realities in this world that exist and can and should be explored in the world of professional wrestling, not neccesarily a pg product , but in the industry, certainly.

Well I think we've probably derailed this thread enough at this stage, and I respect that's your opinion, but I personally disagree that wrestling should touch serious issues. But hey, as you allude to, if it's done right, it might have value. Who knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Genetic Jackhammer

813k holding steady the 11th ranked show in Thursday night.

8 of the top ten shows were Fox & CNN News shows on the RNC.

WWE Hall of Famer drew 9million on Fox news so suck that all you AEW marks ;):P:pac:

WWE Hall of Famer drew 9million on Fox news so suck that all you AEW marks ;):P:pac:

Yup Fox news drew some crazy numbers for all there shows and those viewers may be the reason Trump wins again.

• Advertisement

Pentecost wrote: »
    All joking aside it's really impressive again can easily see this becoming the show I prioritise though I'll always have a sentimental loyalty for WWE and will keep an eye on it. Bought a monthly Fite subscription so I'm not limited to ITV4 schedules.

I'm in a similar boat to yourself but the loyalty for WWE has nearly been eradicated at this stage because I can't stomach the camera cuts. The Network sub is gone now and I'm gonna go out of my way to pay for All Out to support AEW next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Never felt the loyalty to a company just whatever I feel is the best show.

Mainly feel lack of loyalty towards both companies as I don’t really like the people who run the companies

Maybe not loyalty but familiarity or habit maybe. Watched WWF/E since I'm a kid.

Take up smoking Omackeral, it's better for your health.

Maybe not loyalty but familiarity or habit maybe. Watched WWF/E since I'm a kid.

Yes that's it for me too. Not loyalty as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭ThePott

I had assumed it was someone who had just changed their screen or something

The WWE won’t let fans on with AEW T-shirt’s or signs however they let one of the faces of company on.

If the WWE were smart now they would market that image saying even the best in the world ;) watch WWE on ThunderDome.

Are we sure he's not just having a laugh with it? Was it actually him?

• Advertisement

Haha he's taking the piss, it wasn't him.

Advertisement