Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

J. Marston wrote: »

In fairness that sounds more like a shot at the wrestlers and ref in the ring who didn’t reach out and check on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,080 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Funny thing is when I clicked on it, one of the tweets that loaded below it was from Aubrey with a picture of her checking on Fenix.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,171 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Loughc wrote: »
    In fairness that sounds more like a shot at the wrestlers and ref in the ring who didn’t reach out and check on him.

I phrased that poorly. I'm sure he appreciates people being concerned but he also says in his statement "I truly believe the ref did a great job"

How? The ref literally does nothing while he is out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Lads, it's an accidental knockout. It can happen, and has happened in every wrestling organisation since the year dot.

They're tough men, who expect that injuries are guaranteed. I would expect being knocked unconscious temporarily is low enough on their list of worries getting in the ring, compared to Austin getting his neck broken or Droz or Sid's leg.

There is also a mantra that the show must go on. Especially when it's being televised live. As soon as the guy who is about to work on him figures he's out he leaves him be. If it had been the DDT there would have been more cause for concern due to the possibility of neck injury but the ref checks him after that bump and he's fine, waiting on the top rope spot.

Safe to say Mick Foley's career would have been a lot less iconic if you lads were on the health & safety team back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,171 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Lads, it's an accidental knockout. It can happen, and has happened in every wrestling organisation since the year dot.

They're tough men, who expect that injuries are guaranteed. I would expect being knocked unconscious temporarily is low enough on their list of worries getting in the ring, compared to Austin getting his neck broken or Droz or Sid's leg.

There is also a mantra that the show must go on. Especially when it's being televised live. As soon as the guy who is about to work on him figures he's out he leaves him be. If it had been the DDT there would have been more cause for concern due to the possibility of neck injury but the ref checks him after that bump and he's fine, waiting on the top rope spot.

Safe to say Mick Foley's career would have been a lot less iconic if you lads were on the health & safety team back in the day.

It can happen but when it does you don't expect people to carry on with their spots and step over the body to do so. You expect the ref to check on you.

And there was still the possibility of a neck injury in the first place since it was the top rope leg drop that lands on his head/neck that knocked him out in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Looks like Fenix is injured and Penta is taking is spot against Omega next week

fNUiHl2ANhmPAcHVagr-9xyJgTu36b1f3DSlzfp-fDaT1IYcg6j4_cSwH-DihH0hSsOlQP8DrTTKKg=s640-nd

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

J. Marston wrote: »
    It can happen but when it does you don't expect people to carry on with their spots and step over the body to do so. You expect the ref to check on you.

And there was still the possibility of a neck injury in the first place since it was the top rope leg drop that lands on his head/neck that knocked him out in the first place.

You don't expect everyone to stand around looking at him in the middle of a live broadcast do you? Literally never seen that in 30 years watching wrestling. Austin, HHH and many others saw out the end of matches with substantially worse injuries than getting KO'd.

And you don't injure your neck lying flat on a sprung mat or we'd never see a top rope spot again.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

You don't expect everyone to stand around looking at him in the middle of a live broadcast do you? Literally never seen that in 30 years watching wrestling. Austin, HHH and many others saw out the end of matches with substantially worse injuries than getting KO'd.

And you don't injure your neck lying flat on a sprung mat or we'd never see a top rope spot again.

But someone checked on Austin and HHH...... they communicated with them.

Wrestlers communicate with the ref constantly, esp after a bad spot. Youd expect 1 person to notice and try communicate.

When Austin broke his neck he could talk to the ref and let him know whats up.

When someone is knocked out cold they check and if its bad yhen end teh match. Its 2020

They have a ringside doctor, supposedly. So get the guy rolled out of the ring to be checked on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

I agree that accidents can happen, but when Foleys most famous accident happened, ie hell in a cell, how long did taker, funk, et Al stall for time. If you look back at that match there are actually about 7 "moves" in the whole thing. There were about 16 moves while the guy was still unconscious here.

Accidents can happen, I agree, just don't minimise the stupidity of what happened here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Smacruairi wrote: »
    I agree that accidents can happen, but when Foleys most famous accident happened, ie hell in a cell, how long did taker, funk, et Al stall for time. If you look back at that match there are actually about 7 "moves" in the whole thing. There were about 16 moves while the guy was still unconscious here.

Accidents can happen, I agree, just don't minimise the stupidity of what happened here.

Foley is a brave tough SOB but lets be honest, he was wreckless and stupid in terms of his own wellbeing. He whored himself out for fan affection.

Id prefer athletes not to 3 quarters kill themselves for my appreciation. While his moment was iconic, with hindsight Id rather him not risk his life in that match.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,616 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Anthony Ogogo on commentary for Dark his training must becoming along that they feel he is ready to be put on screen.

Meltzer saying he thinks Thunder Rosa will sign with WWE :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Man I hope he's wrong, love watching Thunder Rosa. Would kind of make sense to why she dropped the NWA title though! That would be her and Carter gone to the dark side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭ThePott

If she does and this sort of thing continues to happen AEW are going to get much stricter on appearances without a contract.
    I think if Thunder Rosa does go they'll definitely start to see the benefit of having tougher contracts like WWE does which is a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Doesn't feel like the right move for her but if they sent her straight to the main roster to beat the sh1t out of Baszler and/or Jax I don't think I could contain myself.

Absolute killer for the NWA to lose her after Starks and Eddie. Looks like Aldis will go down with the ship fair play to him.

Well that's the biggest match/result of AEW done. It can only go down from here.

So Anthony Ogogo has been watching Dark Order for years. Doing well considering they haven't been around that long. I assume he means Super Smash Brothers as well.

Speaking of Dark Order, why is it only some that wear masks the whole time? They all have numbers and I think the others used to put on the masks before a match.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

Considering this show a complete disaster solely because of the fake crowd noise. Brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Well that's the biggest match/result of AEW done. It can only go down from her.

The NWA women's title or the Cutler Avalon thing?

Would be interesting to see the Inner Circle as a Bullet Club type scenario, where the leader is in fact just a convenient figurehead at the mercy of whatever the pack decides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

I’ll keep an eye on things in AEW but my interest in it is dropping every week. I really think it’s much of an upgrade on a pretty risible wwe product.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Strong episode I thought. The Mox/Kingston feud has been pretty great, only downside is the winner being so obvious. 2 very good matches on the show in Hangman/Wardlow and Omega/Penta, which I thought was **** and 2 nice matches between Kingston/Sydal and Cody/Orange.

The Jericho/MJF stuff does nothing for me buy at least it's an interesting match.

Actually looking at the Full Gear card as a whole, it's stacked and the show does come across as being very consequential.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Omega and Penta was so good, for me one of the best Dynamite matches. Great use of the Mega championship and the Lucha Bros masks during the entrance was a cool touch, that's the Omega most of the fans want to see I think.

Glad to see Jericho and MJF back on form after that sh*te last week. Eddie Kingston is a class act, rocking the Medusa Complex shirt on TV, can't help but root for him against Moxley.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    The NWA women's title or the Cutler Avalon thing?

Cutler/Avalon of course. :)

Supposedly Abadon was injured during tapings for this week's Dynamite so that's probably why her match wasn't on. She was meant to face Tay Conti this week

Hager still undefeated in MMA, He wore an Inner Circle t shirt and had AEW sponsorship.

His face got battered and he won on a split decision and was taken to hospital after the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Officer999

PAC back on Dynamite next week

More of an entourage now. Billy and Austin Gunn and Lee Johnson have joined the Nightmare Family

https://twitter.com/CodyRhodes/status/1322210497677185026

https://twitter.com/CodyRhodes/status/1322220764058234883

Matter of when that heel turn is coming. Should be done soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Cody: You don't need to keep up with any shoulder content.

also Cody: I'll be forming a stable on my Twitter feed.

• Advertisement

Is Pac back in the States or will it be video link from Newcastle?

Advertisement