Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

sky88 wrote: »
    Having to listen to jr makes this less watchable for me I’ve grown to really dislike him over the years and there’s just much better commentators out there they could try to get

One thing noticeable is that he knows very little about anyone outside of WWE which is unacceptable in 2019 considering the content of worldwide wrestling isn't exactly hidden now.
    I can understand why AEW want people who could be channel hopping to immediately notice something if they stop and watch the show but if you have a guy on commentary who doesn't know the talent on show that is a bigger issue than how interested he sounds.
    As far as commentators go...I used to like Mauro Ranallo but after a while he becomes like early 2000's JR spouting his catchphrases.
    Cole, Graves and Renee are absolutely sh!t imo; Smackdown's ones aren't much better. I like Kevin Kelly and Ian Riccaboni but often their partners let them down. Don Callis puts himself over too often even as a heel commentator, Lanny Poffo was an assault on ones ears and Chris Charlton does not have a voice for commentary, when he talks above his normal levels I genuinely have no clue what he's saying as he can't seem to get the words out quick enough.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I don’t watch much if anything outside Raw. Who would you rank top 5 announcers?

That's really hard to come to any sort of agreement on I'd imagine. Most dislike the WWE main announce teams but before they got behind the main desk in most cases a good few were popular on NXT and the likes.

I've heard people speak glowingly of Cole when he's not attached to a RAW or a Smackdown, same with Graves and most recently McGuinness.

It's a difficult situation with as is well documented Vince screaming down the headsets to them to promote this and highlight that and not just letting them focus on the product.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

Alex Marvez has been reported as the lead announcer. He's been host at both the press conferences too. Perhaps that has changed.

Right so no one discuss anything on a message board until actual facts are out there.

Close the thread then.

You're being completely disingenuous to avoid acknowledging the point I'm making.

No one suggested to not discuss anything. I pointed out that jumping to broad conclusions based on completely unsubstantiated rumours is pointless, which I stand by.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,636 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Brandi hinting there title belt will be the old mid south belt

• Advertisement

Bucks & Omega Panel & Q & A at Chicago C2E2

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

Is aew on tv yet?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

cena wrote: »
    Is aew on tv yet?

Nope no tv deal yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

You’d imagine announcing it at double or nothing if they have signed one

cena wrote: »
    Is aew on tv yet?

The reports are there's no plan to launch a TV show until September/October.

It may behoove them to hold off on making a deal until after Double Or Nothing, when there's more buzz.

• Advertisement

JR officially signed up now which is no surprise really for commentary and as a senior advisor

Its good for name value but hes well past his best and was especially terrible at his last mae young classic i honestly get put off if i have to listen to him if/when they get the tv every week

https://twitter.com/iamjohnpollock/status/1113477159534747648

• Registered Users Posts: 23,173 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

"The most lucrative deal in pro wrestling commentary history"

This is why this nonsense will last 18 months at most.

Is that tweet an actual fact?

Are we allowed to discuss this now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

What an embarrassment. JR hasn't been good on commentary in over 15 years, and as for his advisory role; what does he know about modern wrestling? When has he last worked backstage in an office role?

"Bah Gawd, we gotta sign this young stud, he's a collegiate champion in amateur tiddlywinks"... or something like that.

Go away JR.

Seems as though he may only be used in big match situations as opposed to being the play by play guy. Like most, I have not been blown away by his work much over the past few years, although I have read positive reviews of his NJPW stuff with Josh Barnett, overdubbing taped matches.

I would imagine his greater strengths will lie behind the scenes. 45 years of experience has to be good for something.

Monokne wrote: »
    Seems as though he may only be used in big match situations as opposed to being the play by play guy. Like most, I have not been blown away by his work much over the past few years, although I have read positive reviews of his NJPW stuff with Josh Barnett, overdubbing taped matches.

I would imagine his greater strengths will lie behind the scenes. 45 years of experience has to be good for something.

You say that his experience but most on here talk about how out of touch Vince is and he has more experience and listening to his podcast jr seems just as out of touch with this era of wrestling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

JR has experience, but that isn't always a good thing.

He peaked about 18 years ago. Everything he has done since has been rubbish, embarrassing or boring. Or all three.

AEW are just trying to appeal to a fan base that was watching in the late 90s/early 00s. Probably when Khan was a big fan.

It's 2019. What next? Are they going to hire Limp Bizkit to do all their entrance themes?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,935 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Brandi hinting there title belt will be the old mid south belt

So bill watts gave them the belt then to use ?

Edit: which belt is it ? The North American one or the Louisiana title ?

Actually now that I think about it that the AEW title will be either based on or a exact replica of the mid south title isn’t a surprise. I mean Cody loved his dad and his dad held the North American title in mid south wrestling and Cody seems a huge wrestling history buff. Also now with JR on board that’s another mid south connection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

sirmanga wrote: »
    What an embarrassment. JR hasn't been good on commentary in over 15 years, and as for his advisory role; what does he know about modern wrestling? When has he last worked backstage in an office role?

"Bah Gawd, we gotta sign this young stud, he's a collegiate champion in amateur tiddlywinks"... or something like that.

Go away JR.

To be fair to the man he has signed some of the greats in professional wrestling in his tenure as head of talent relations, something wwe had failed to replicate with Johnny L before WWE brought in everyone with a name outside WWE.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Think AEW is badly in need of a few experienced heads in terms of someone who knows how to put a show together for broadcast, a showrunner essentially.
    It's kinda why I expecting a broadcast not to happen for a while.
    Stuff like lighting, to the camera work, people who may need to teach others how to work to their best value in front of a camera, someone in recruitment who has their finger on the pulse not just someone who can get tickets to PEG either & you need people who know wrestling to do that so it makes that experience very hard to find. Those who are available who have name value is a miserable list that I would not touch, JR would be on that list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

JR is senior adviser. The lads need someone like that to get advice from, there's nobody better. He's not a yes man like Bruce Pritchard, he'll be a great asset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

ERG89 wrote: »
    Think AEW is badly in need of a few experienced heads in terms of someone who knows how to put a show together for broadcast, a showrunner essentially.
    It's kinda why I expecting a broadcast not to happen for a while.
    Stuff like lighting, to the camera work, people who may need to teach others how to work to their best value in front of a camera, someone in recruitment who has their finger on the pulse not just someone who can get tickets to PEG either & you need people who know wrestling to do that so it makes that experience very hard to find. Those who are available who have name value is a miserable list that I would not touch, JR would be on that list.

They already hired the ex WCW/TNA television director dude. Can't recall his name.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

sirmanga wrote: »
    It's 2019. What next? Are they going to hire Limp Bizkit to do all their entrance themes?

I'd be perfectly happy with that!! ðŸ˜ðŸ€˜

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

That Mid South title is horrible

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    That Mid South title is horrible

Well this is a guess Gerry but I don't think whether a title looked good or not was the biggest concern of bill watts from having watched a good bit of mid south. It wasn't meant to be flashy. It seems like a very straight laced promotion.

Justin Roberts has been hired as ring announcer.

Alicia Atout has been hired at the backstage interviewer.

Alex Marvez and Excalibur hired as the broadcast team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

What’s the latest on their TV deal?

• Advertisement

The most recent update I read was May/June targeted for an announcement, Sept/Oct to start airing.

Advertisement