Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Was a really well done show. Was emotional

If had 1 complaint it would be the way commentary corrected each other on Erick Rowan's name.

I think this showed Dark Order would be good as faces.
    And apart from them everyone stayed in character, such as MJF. Must be hard though to be a heel in these situations as they stay in character and try not to show emotion.

Side note, they mentioned Nando's

I thought they were faces recently and was expecting Brodie to come back and fcuk them out of it for losing their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,077 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Wonder why Kenny didn't appear in some capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭ThePott

Only reason I could guess aside from letting him rest-up is that they wanted to focus on the TNT championship as opposed to the World Championship as that is the one Brodie held.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭oldtimeyfella

Wrestle Kingdom is in a few days.........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Kenny was there at the 10 bell salute at the beginning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,077 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just rewatched the opening and yeah he was there and wearing a mask

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭oldtimeyfella

Just finished watching the tribute. What can i say that hasn't been said already? No one had anything but the very best to say about Brodie.

Even people who he wouldn't have known/worked with for long were hit hard by this. John Silver collapsing in tears at the end of his match nearly got me going as well because i had read a story recently about Brodie buying him his current entrance gear out of his own money because he thought John deserved to look like a star.

Another small thing: i'm not usually in any way a fan of WWE but i'm sure someone over there had to sign off on a lot of the photos used in that final video package because it contained a bunch of their current talent and an image of their tag belts. That was a very laudable move if this is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,282 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I know some people hate the ratings but I find them interesting

https://twitter.com/PWTorch/status/1344763625291079684

AEW last night drew 977,000 viewers (up 202K from 775K). NXT drew 586,000 (down 112K from 698K). 18-49 demo AEW outdrew NXT 0.40 to 0.12.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

Glad I watched it 'spoiled' if that's even the right word for a tribute show. When they gave his kid the belt I was completely gone and that was knowing it was going to happen. Bloody hell

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I can not fault AEW one bit for that excellent send off. The attention to detail and small nods was a sight to see.

An must watch show that no one wishes to ever see.

I was hanging on after the ten bell and Moxleys tribute, until I saw Colt Cabana in tears, that broke me. Khan, Cody and everyine at AEW can take pride in that show.

Wrestling done right and each one of them showed true class. If I wasnt a huge mark for AEW then I am now.

RIP Brodie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Definitely a sincere and well-executed tribute.

Also, tribute aside, that was actually one of their better wrestling programmes for a good while.

I think a lot of that was due to the pacing; fewer matches, with less shenanigans afterwards allowing each segment to breath after the finish (I think there was only one run-in, in the women's match?).

Hope they can integrate that, going forward - i.e. less is more.

Hes certainly on the right track for the top, but IMO, he's not there just yet. His matches with Cody and Mox suggest hes going in the right direction and time and experience will bring him there.

I compare him to a young John Cena when he won the US title back in 2004. Hes got it, hes got bags of it.... he just needs to get more experience. He has all the tools, there is no rush.

Omega is perfect in the top heel spot. MJF's time will come.

MJF is nowhere near the athlete Omega is, but in terms of all around work and psychology, he isn't far behind. He also crushes Omega in terms of promo work. I'm happy enough for Omega to get a run at the top, don't get me wrong, but I think this angle with the Inner Circle is just not doing much for MJF right now. Would much rather see him work a programme with another guy set for to the top, e.g., Page.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    MJF is nowhere near the athlete Omega is, but in terms of all around work and psychology, he isn't far behind. He also crushes Omega in terms of promo work. I'm happy enough for Omega to get a run at the top, don't get me wrong, but I think this angle with the Inner Circle is just not doing much for MJF right now. Would much rather see him work a programme with another guy set for to the top, e.g., Page.

MJF is very entertaining on the mic, so quick and charismatic. No doubt.

Omega is not as good as MJF on the mic, but he beats him handsdown in every other department. And Omega is doing a good job since he completed his turn, he's getting a chance to show want he can do verbally and hes doing great.

MJF isnt ready just yet and he has no rush to be. The Inner Circle angle is a decent place for him at the moment and it will probably conclude with him usurping Jericho, which hopefully will benefit him. Ive no problem with Page and MJF having a program down the road, again there is no rush.

Not everyone can be at the top at the same time. Omega is ready. His feud with Page will surely come circle, which long term will be the best booking IMO as it will make a top star out of Page if done right.

MJF can be held back for 5 years and still be ready to shine. There is no rush.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    MJF is very entertaining on the mic, so quick and charismatic. No doubt.

Omega is not as good as MJF on the mic, but he beats him handsdown in every other department. And Omega is doing a good job since he completed his turn, he's getting a chance to show want he can do verbally and hes doing great.

MJF isnt ready just yet and he has no rush to be. The Inner Circle angle is a decent place for him at the moment and it will probably conclude with him usurping Jericho, which hopefully will benefit him. Ive no problem with Page and MJF having a program down the road, again there is no rush.

Not everyone can be at the top at the same time. Omega is ready. His feud with Page will surely come circle, which long term will be the best booking IMO as it will make a top star out of Page if done right.

MJF can be held back for 5 years and still be ready to shine. There is no rush.

This isn't a conversation about who should be their top heel, Omega or MJF. It's whether or not MJF's current booking is the best route. If it ends up with Jericho putting MJF over, fair enough. Though that would have meant a lot more 9 months ago than it does now.

This isn't a conversation about who should be their top heel, Omega or MJF. It's whether or not MJF's current booking is the best route. If it ends up with Jericho putting MJF over, fair enough. Though that would have meant a lot more 9 months ago than it does now.

It can still mean a lot. Im again guessing how they are going to book this angle, and truthfully its very hard to guess how its gonna play out, but I say wait and see first before judging it.

If it ends with MJF leading a strong faction at the expense of Jericho, or even Sammy and MJF joining forces to overthrow Jericho, then Id be happy with that.

AEW have done very well long term booking wise despite big roadblocks like covid and injuries, but they have delivered on a good few occasions. The have earned the benefit of the doubt right now with me, so I shall see where the Inner Circle and MJF go with optimism.

Its a grand place holder for MJF, working with experienced talent like Jericho at least will have benefits, as well as working with other fresh new talents like Sammy.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

This isn't a conversation about who should be their top heel, Omega or MJF. It's whether or not MJF's current booking is the best route.

It's fine for now, which is beakerjoe's point from what I can see?!

Omackeral wrote: »
    It's fine for now, which is beakerjoe's point from what I can see?!

And I'd rather MJF were working with someone like Kingston or Page, is my point.

The Inner Circle are a shadow of their early selves, they're below MJF.

And I'd rather MJF were working with someone like Kingston or Page, is my point.

The Inner Circle are a shadow of their early selves, they're below MJF.

And he can work with them in the future.

IMO His current story is doing him no harm and Id wager he will be elevated when it concludes. Im sure Jericho will put him over.

Page is in a well suited "finding himself" story and Kingston v Pac has great potential.

Its all good from my POV.

When MJF is done with Jericho Im sure he can tangle with another upper mid card guy.

If Page defeats Kenny eventually, Page v an MJF lead Inner Circle would be fresh.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    And he can work with them in the future.

IMO His current story is doing him no harm and Id wager he will be elevated when it concludes. Im sure Jericho will put him over.

Page is in a well suited "finding himself" story and Kingston v Pac has great potential.

Its all good from my POV.

When MJF is done with Jericho Im sure he can tangle with another upper mid card guy.

If Page defeats Kenny eventually, Page v an MJF lead Inner Circle would be fresh.

Except that this needs a number of things to go right for it to all work out. And what happens if WWE convince one of Page or MJF to switch companies before you get to the conclusion?

My preference is to just keep it simple. MJF is great. Kingston and Page are a tiny notch below great. Put one of the latter two with MJF and let them make some money and get more over. Now.

Except that this needs a number of things to go right for it to all work out. And what happens if WWE convince one of Page or MJF to switch companies before you get to the conclusion?

My preference is to just keep it simple. MJF is great. Kingston and Page are a tiny notch below great. Put one of the latter two with MJF and let them make some money and get more over. Now.

MJF locked in until 2024 and Page - who was there at the beginning of the creation of this whole thing presumably locked in perhaps even longer. Plenty of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Just to sort of piggyback off a point made by Neil about Page or MJF jumping ship?

Would they even want to jump ship?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Just to sort of piggyback off a point made by Neil about Page or MJF jumping ship?

If they were smart they wouldn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,170 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Lithium93_ wrote: »

¥€$.

Money talks. WWE throw money at you, guys will be tempted.

Do I think theyd jump? Depends on what they are offered, but neither man went to WWE initially despite offers.

Though Im sure any new offers would be substantially higher now AEW is up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Time is certainly something AEW have on their side in abundance with their younger stars. Maxwell Jacob Friedman probably won’t even peak for another 5 years or so. You’ve Sammy and Jungle Boy in their mid twenties too. Page hasn’t turned 30 yet. Ricky Starks is only 26! Top Flight are 19 and 21. It’s exciting stuff.

I’d like to see a Jon Moxley vs Hamgman Page program sometime

Omackeral wrote: »
    Time is certainly something AEW have on their side in abundance with their younger stars. Maxwell Jacob Friedman probably won’t even peak for another 5 years or so. You’ve Sammy and Jungle Boy in their mid twenties too. Page hasn’t turned 30 yet. Ricky Starks is only 26! Top Flight are 19 and 21. It’s exciting stuff.

I’d like to see a Jon Moxley vs Hamgman Page program sometime

Page is the next top guy IMO. He is ready, and Ive faith that they are building towards Page v Omega down the road. The story started nearly a year ago and its been almost perfect storytelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

The Next inner circle storyline in my opinion is MJF forcing out Sammy which they've started already and I can see Sammy coming out of it a massive star he's improved massively since the start aswell

People seem to forget the Khans money wise make Vince look minor league. Not to mention the close relationships Tony has built with them all.

People seem to forget the Khans money wise make Vince look minor league. Not to mention the close relationships Tony has built with them all.

Ive no doubt Khan is loaded but will he throw big money at the likes of Omega and Page if they have an offer from WWE.

Time will tell. I think most in AEW are there for the project and not the big bucks.

• Advertisement

The Next inner circle storyline in my opinion is MJF forcing out Sammy which they've started already and I can see Sammy coming out of it a massive star he's improved massively since the start aswell

Thats one thing about the angle, it can go a multitude of ways and still be good. Sammy being forced out is a logical way. Jericho being ousted by MJF is another. Sammy and MJF jooning forces and taking Jericho out is another.

Im enjoying the ride thus far despite Jericho wrestling too often.

Advertisement