Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

Martina has been announced for Starrcast

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

ERG89 wrote: »
    AEW would want to look towards impact in towards of recruiting names. They've quietly build a steady roster with LAX, Blanchard, Su Yung, Taya Valkyrie, Johnny I won't call him Impact, Brian Cage, Sami Callihan, Jordynne Grace, Eddie Edwards, Ethan Page, Josh Alexander, the Rascalz and of course most importantly Scarlett Bordeaux.
    I left out Lucha Bros as they work everywhere.

"What's Johnny Dynamite doing in the All Elite-Zone!?"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Strange to see people saying their roster is uninspiring when they haven't put on one show as AEW yet, I'd give it a chance before knocking it.

For me Omega, PAC, Jericho and Page are as good as anyone in WWE in ring (Jericho more-so character wise these days). MJF has tons of potential. Lucha Bros are the best tag-team on the planet and along with the Bucks and Best Friends have the base for a great tag division. Aja Kong and Hikaru Shida will be awesome, Shida really is fantastic in ring.

No clue about contracts etc. but agree with the idea that AEW should look to Impact for talent in the future if they become available - LAX, Tessa, Cage, Impact + Taya, The North, Moose, The Rascalz, Callihan, Swann would all be good gets. From ROH they should be keeping an eye on Haskins, Bandido, Rush, Gresham, Cobb and Flip Gordon. From MLW - The Hart Foundation, Jacob Fatu, Promociones Dorado. So much exciting up and coming talent outside WWE. Also of course grab Luke Harper and any other quality performers who leave.

Anyone know if there's been talk of a link with NJPW? Would be better than NJPW/ROH.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Strange to see people saying their roster is uninspiring when they haven't put on one show as AEW yet, I'd give it a chance before knocking it.

For me Omega, PAC, Jericho and Page are as good as anyone in WWE in ring (Jericho more-so character wise these days). MJF has tons of potential. Lucha Bros are the best tag-team on the planet and along with the Bucks and Best Friends have the base for a great tag division. Aja Kong and Hikaru Shida will be awesome, Shida really is fantastic in ring.

No clue about contracts etc. but agree with the idea that AEW should look to Impact for talent in the future if they become available - LAX, Tessa, Cage, Impact + Taya, The North, Moose, The Rascalz, Callihan, Swann would all be good gets. From ROH they should be keeping an eye on Haskins, Bandido, Rush, Gresham, Cobb and Flip Gordon. From MLW - The Hart Foundation, Jacob Fatu, Promociones Dorado. So much exciting up and coming talent outside WWE. Also of course grab Luke Harper and any other quality performers who leave.

Anyone know if there's been talk of a link with NJPW? Would be better than NJPW/ROH.

i must be the only one with no interest in jericho anymore i think after the omega match at wrestlekindom hes just done nothing for me and jericho is one of my favourite wrestlers ever.

my biggest hesitation with this would be the fact im very much over the elite shtick atm. They will put on a good show at double or nothing but doing a weekly show is so different.

I think the new japan deal basically rests on how much they want to use Kenny and if there american shows do well without him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

sky88 wrote: »
    i must be the only one with no interest in jericho anymore i think after the omega match at wrestlekindom hes just done nothing for me and jericho is one of my favourite wrestlers ever.

my biggest hesitation with this would be the fact im very much over the elite shtick atm. They will put on a good show at double or nothing but doing a weekly show is so different.

I think the new japan deal basically rests on how much they want to use Kenny and if there american shows do well without him.

Agreed 100%, barely watch it anymore, the Bucks in particular can come across very self-loving at times, can get a bit cringey. Hopefully the elite stuff doesn't dominate the weekly show or it will be very over-bearing. Have enjoyed the Road to Double or Nothing videos, although wish they would tone down a little bit on the boyhood dream, emotional crying to family on the phone for every wrestler who signed etc.

• Advertisement

Agreed 100%, barely watch it anymore, the Bucks in particular can come across very self-loving at times, can get a bit cringey. Hopefully the elite stuff doesn't dominate the weekly show or it will be very over-bearing. Have enjoyed the Road to Double or Nothing videos, although wish they would tone down a little bit on the boyhood dream, emotional crying to family on the phone for every wrestler who signed etc.

stopped watching a long time ago. Agreed that the bucks and cody as well adore themselves.

The Dustin rhoads video was great and youd hope for stuff like that but i still have no interest in the match itself as neither in ring are particular great

If this in response to what I wrote, I'd just clarify what I said which was that it's not that the talent level that's uninspiring, it's the lack of stars. You need enough cornerstones to pull in the casual viewer. Then all the excellent, lesser known talent have the platform. Jericho is the only genuine star wrestler in the US past the hardcore fanbase. Even Cody, Omega & The Bucks are niche names by comparison.

I have little doubt the guys under contract can get it done bell to bell, and I am sure some are real good characters. But no one knows who they are. WCW only exploded when Hogan & Savage brought eyes to the product, TNA's best years came when they'd guys like Sting & Angle on the show. Talent alone isn't enough.

sky88 wrote: »
    my biggest hesitation with this would be the fact im very much over the elite shtick atm.

This is something I have pondered on.

The Elite isn't doing quite the numbers it was a couple years ago - roughly 150k a week. It does feel that has been exposed to a level where there's not much juice left in that particular orange.

With the money they are spending on talent and the level of TV deals rumoured, I had been thinking they had a real shot at becoming a stable platform and a genuine number 2 to WWE. I am at the point where I find it slightly concerning that there aren't more stars attached to the promotion, nor a TV deal set in stone. Without concrete facts it's pointless speculating too much. I think it's key they come out of Double Or Nothing with direction and purpose though. Being The Elite doesn't feel sufficient to me. Just lacking somehow.

Monokne wrote: »
    This is something I have pondered on.

The Elite isn't doing quite the numbers it was a couple years ago - roughly 150k a week. It does feel that has been exposed to a level where there's not much juice left in that particular orange.

With the money they are spending on talent and the level of TV deals rumoured, I had been thinking they had a real shot at becoming a stable platform and a genuine number 2 to WWE. I am at the point where I find it slightly concerning that there aren't more stars attached to the promotion, nor a TV deal set in stone. Without concrete facts it's pointless speculating too much. I think it's key they come out of Double Or Nothing with direction and purpose though. Being The Elite doesn't feel sufficient to me. Just lacking somehow.

This is what I find fascinating there only star that people outside the wrestling bubble really know is Jericho. So will they be able to attract that outside the hardcore audience as I feel the number of former fans that will come back is doubtful.

The 1st month of tv figures when it happens will be interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Came across this on reddit, these guys could be a fun watch

https://twitter.com/narukiroy/status/1124876569691000833

• Advertisement

That 450 was actually unbelievable

Double or Nothing to be on ITV box office which i didnt knew existed tbh

Not sure id ever pay for one off wrestling event again as new japan and wwe network have kind of ruined that for me even with the reasonable price.

https://twitter.com/AlexM_talkSPORT/status/1126127887638200321?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Think I'd pass on Ambrose/Moxley if I were them.

His ringwork is the drizzling sh1ts.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,636 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Jerry Lynn joins as a coach.

AEW-Turner TV Partnership to Be Announced Ahead of WarnerMedia Upfront (Exclusive)

All Elite Wrestling president Tony Khan and his in-ring talent expected to attend Wednesday event in New York City
    The All Elite Wrestling (AEW)-Turner deal is “virtually done,” a person with knowledge of the plan tells TheWrap exclusively. Current plans call for the partnership to be announced an hour before WarnerMedia’s Wednesday upfront event.

AEW president Tony Khan and some of his wrestlers are expected to be in attendance at the Madison Square Garden — the mecca of professional wrestling — pitch to advertisers. The presentation begins at 10 a.m. New York City time.

Turner plans to begin airing a weekly AEW wrestling show this fall on TNT.

Financial terms of the deal are not expected to be disclosed as AEW is not a publicly traded company. The leader in the space, WWE, is.

When reached, a spokeswoman for Turner declined to comment on this story. A rep for AEW has not responded to TheWrap’s request for comment.

Last month, TheWrap reported that All Elite Wrestling and Turner were in advanced talks for a TV deal. At the time, negotiations made it unclear whether or not an agreement would be in place by next week’s upfront, which is when television networks debut their new fall shows for advertisers.

WarnerMedia has since provided media with tip sheets listing the talent planned for its upfront “blue carpet,” but AEW was not represented on those versions.

Turner, a WarnerMedia property, is now owned by AT&T. AEW is backed financially by Jacksonville Jaguars owner Shahid Khan, Tony Khan’s father.

Though AEW has still only had one big show to date, its growing roster is impressive. Founded by wrestlers Cody and tag-team The Young Bucks (Matt and Nick Jackson), the company has signed Chris Jericho, Pac (formerly Neville in WWE) and Kenny Omega to wrestle, among others, as well as WWE legend Jim Ross on commentary.

AEW’s next big event is May 25’s Double or Nothing in Las Vegas. Currently, that show is set to stream on YouTube, Twitter and Facebook, and will be available as a pay-per-view purchase in the UK via ITV Box Office.

TNT’s primary competitor, USA Network, currently airs WWE’s “Raw” on Mondays and “SmackDown Live” on Tuesdays. However, “SmackDown” is heading to Fox’s broadcast network this fall, when it will switch to Fridays

https://www.thewrap.com/aew-turner-tv-deal-all-elite-wrestling-warnermedia-upfront/

Jerry Lynn joins as a coach.
    Good move.

It's crazy really, after nearly two decades wrestling returns to TNT. This is going to be very interesting.

starnge they will be free free for the rest of the world but pay in the UK unless its just a way to get in good with itv then its a perfectly great reason to

its official love how they announce with basically a nitro intro

https://twitter.com/tntdrama/status/1128632147248668673?s=20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Thank God. Hopefully they can make a show that isn't an embarrassment to watch in front of normal people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Wonder will they tour immediately or just stay static? Will they tape in bulk or be live?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Wonder will they tour immediately or just stay static? Will they tape in bulk or be live?
    The weekly show will be live according to their press statement.
    "TNT will air live AEW matches weekly in prime time starting later this year, as well as streaming them on B/R Live and on pay-per-view. AEW will be presented to advertisers during the WarnerMedia Upfront at the Madison Square Garden Theater on Wednesday."

D6m0ImNWAAELhEU.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,173 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Another wrestling company getting a live TV deal on a major US network.

Vince's arse just twitched.

ive huge doubts about company sucess and whos in control of the company but it really fills good to have what looks like a competitor again in wrestling

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

They're coming on the scene at a great time, with so many fans dissatisfied and reports of HHH frustrated with how things are going with WWE

Everyone says they shouldn't try to compete with WWE, but they're being given the best chance possible to put as big a dent as possible into WWE

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Is this channel available in Ireland guys?

gerrybbadd wrote: »

not to my knolwedge but im guessing itv4 is were there likely to end up for uk and Ireland with double or nothing being on box office

Continuing a long standing pettiness in any wrestling company towards any media who says anything they might not like

https://twitter.com/TonyMaglio/status/1128635524435017728?s=20

gerrybbadd wrote: »

I wouldn't say so, TCM replaced TNT in the UK and Ireland.

I say they'll flog it to one of the British satellite channels. Most of the NBA coverage Sky have comes from TNT.

• Advertisement

I doubt that was AEW not inviting The Wrap that would be down to Warners who would have sent out the press invites today.

That would be like blaming the cast of the Big Bang for not getting an invite to CBS's upfronts because you leaked something CBS wanted to exclusively announce.

Advertisement