Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

CastorTroy wrote: »
    "Breaking - Due to fan demand Vince Russo is All Elite"

Can't wait to see Omega bump for him.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Ha, based on plenty other Wrestlemania storylines I'd say that ship has sailed, unless we really do want to see Sting and Steiner brought back for a month or two every year to main event Double or Nothing :D

Well I mean... we're half way there!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

The company have applied for a trademark on the "Too Sweet" hand gesture.

https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/aew-files-trademark-too-sweet?amp&__twitter_impression=true

• Registered Users Posts: 60,601 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So if no one owns the copyright to it how the hell could the WWE send a cease and desist to the Bucks?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

So if no one owns the copyright to it how the hell could the WWE send a cease and desist to the Bucks?

They didnt, The Bucks just put the story out. Paints them as the victims and WWE as the bad guys. Gains them support, sympathy, helps create a buzz.

• Advertisement

beakerjoe wrote: »
    They didnt, The Bucks just put the story out. Paints them as the victims and WWE as the bad guys. Gains them support, sympathy, helps create a buzz.

Really? Pretty much every news site said they did send it.

Even if you Google it now there is no mention that the Bucks made it up.

The WWE claimed it was intellectual property.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

It's a method that works. Tried and tested and still works today.

It's a method that works. Tried and tested and still works today.

No doubt. Clever marketers them Bucks.
    Really? Pretty much every news site said they did send it.

Even if you Google it now there is no mention that the Bucks made it up.

The WWE claimed it was intellectual property.

They worked you into a shoot brother.

https://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/2021/1/7/22219298/young-bucks-bullet-club-reunion-cease-desist-letter-too-sweet-hand-gesture-lie-work

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Any proof they didn’t?

Almost every major or site reported on the letter in detail

Ah!

As above a tremendous work!

Might have been Might being the key word.

Pretty clever of them and ProwrestlingTees to stop using the Two Sweet logo for nearly 3 years just for this moment now then.

That’s a lot merch to give up selling for 3 years for a 3 work.

More likely now is the work to work the fans that the cease-and-desist was a work.

• Advertisement

Might have been Might being the key word.

Its fair to assume now that The Bucks have tried to trademark it that it was a work.

Now I’d love to see AEW get the copyright to it before the WWE Hall of Fame so the NWO and HHH couldn’t use it and if they did Khan sends the cease-and-desist to Vince.

However if both the WWE & ProWrestling Tees dropped there attempts to copyright it there must be something blocking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,282 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Very surprising something like that isnt copyrighted

If AEW do get it that will be superb business

Headshot wrote: »
    Very surprising something like that isnt copyrighted

If AEW do get it that will be superb business

Is it? Its a simple hand gesture. Its not going to affect how I view either company and I dont think The Bucks will sell any more/less tee's without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,077 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Really don't understand how such a thing can be trademarked. I'm sure it's been used for years as a shadow puppet. Probably even used in some sign language. Wonder if I can trademark the middle finger before the Inner Circle decide to do it.

Copyrighted for merch sales in a wrestling context I'd imagine.

The Bullet Club also use it so maybe this is all linked to future plans for cross promotion merch sales and getting in there before the WWE try and go back in for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭ThePott

Trademarking a hand gesture is incredibly difficult as much as it can and has been done before.
    I think this is most likely more of a publicity stunt.

As for the original cease and desist. I'd only heard this recently that the thing was made-up. I can't vouch for this but someone on Reddit said that the way the Bucks portray it in the book is as follows. They had a BTE story involving them being sent a Cease and Desist at this point it was fake. Following the 'Bullet Club Invasion' episode of BTE the received an actual cease and desist for using Too Sweet and the hand gesture. After consulting with their lawyers they were informed it was unlikely that WWE could succeed in stopping them but that they would be drowned in legal fees. At that point they decided to spin the cease and desist into a merch idea.

Now I don't know if that passes the smell test, I'm not a legal expert. If there was no trademark or ownership why could WWE issue a cease and desist? There's also a college team I think in North Carolina that have been using the hand sign for years. Maybe for merchandising you can trademark it but beyond that, who knows? AEW put out a shirt recently of them hitting the two sweet as they did when the Good Brothers arrived but the design on the shirt is carefully done so you don't clearly see two fingers raised by any hand.

Would love to hear any further insight though.

Tony Khan is on Renee's pod this week and say the whole AEW/Impact idea was Kenny's.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Jon Moxley is also writing his autobiography. Revealed via Renee's podcast with Tony Khan.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,077 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The year's just started and already we're due to have the event of the year next week with Pretty Peter's Pageant Provocation Presents The Walkoff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

ThePott wrote: »
    Now I don't know if that passes the smell test, I'm not a legal expert. If there was no trademark or ownership why could WWE issue a cease and desist? There's also a college team I think in North Carolina that have been using the hand sign for years. Maybe for merchandising you can trademark it but beyond that, who knows? AEW put out a shirt recently of them hitting the two sweet as they did when the Good Brothers arrived but the design on the shirt is carefully done so you don't clearly see two fingers raised by any hand.

Would love to hear any further insight though.

If you're willing to pay your lawyer to do it they'll always come up with something to put in a letter, which is all a cease and desist is. Trying to enforce it any further would require a claim but again where there's $$$ to be earned the lawyers will find a way to do it. Spoken as a former lawyer!

Penelope Ford wrestling on next weeks DYNAMITE. Omack gets his wish.

Love this -1 stuff

Brings a tear to my eye

Awesome

Damn that was so much fun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

Flaming hell!

Cody needs to ditch Snoops version of his theme tune!

Absolutely horrible it is!

JR is so salty it actually makes me lol.

Can't understand why they can't find some excuse to not have him on during the segments he'll clearly hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,781 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Jericho either needs to become an aggressive bully slapping around young boys or he needs to step back, he's going to hurt either himself or somebody else....

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ciaran2054

Wasn’t really feeling that episode. Couldn’t get into it aside from the opening stuff with Dark Order/Hangman. Team Taz stuff entertained me as always.

The Young Bucks stuff seems very contrived.

I liked Cody getting distracted but would have liked it more if Avalon won with a roll up. That would get heat.

The Inner Circle have jumped the shark for me a few months ago. It doesn’t mean anything. What are their aims, why are they together, what is their point.

It’s also time for Jericho to retire or stop this style. I’d love to see another angle of the lion sault because it looked rouuuugggghhh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,170 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I'm surprised he can still even do a lionsault.

Advertisement