Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Yup, worst show in a while. The better shows lately were when they did less, and gave segments time to breathe. Last night they were back to a ritalin overdose. And production was all over the place.

The Bucks going to Kenny's house didn't work. If they want to do reality TV, I'm sure Tony K/TNT could help them make it happen. But this didn't belong on a wrestling show. Also, Matt Jackson profoundly lacks credibility - both working and talking.

Then later, we see they beat up Don. Wtf? So the smarmy heel manager gets comeuppance already? Off camera? Then an enraged Omega finds out what the Bucks did so he beats up.... Penta?!

"Oh but this is all part of a thrilling long term angle where the Bucks are in on it but they want us to think there's discord and then there isn't and then there is again..."

NO. I don't want the bastard love child of Skyrim and Keeping up with the Kardashians. It's not a compelling pro wrestling angle, and I've completely checked out.

Elsewhere, kick in the balls or not, Cody shouldn't be taking 10 minutes to beat Peter Avalon. Then you've a hairy 270lb mountain man losing to Moxley in under 5. Flip those timings around and you might protect the three talents worth talking about (Moxley, Cody and Comoroto).

Not sure if Ford and Hirsch was supposed to go nearly 10 minutes, but it seemed the main event ran out of time. And as they hurried to wrap that up, the commentators were blabbing about a multiman tag now being the main event of a show I didn't know was coming up, featuring talent from a completely different angle that I'm still confused about.

LESS IS MORE.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,601 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

When I see Leyla Hirsch I just think she is a mini female version of Miro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Interesting that the graphic for the women's number one contender tournament had both the American and Japanese flags on it. Could be for Shida I guess or maybe more TJPW talent to appear and return maybe? Maki Itoh in AEW would be fun.

Not counting Callis & The Good Brothers I wonder who will be the first Impact talent to show up on and AEW show.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,076 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I said before about their love for Battle Royals and tournaments and 1 of each gets announced now.
    I thought Big Swole was number 1 contender.

• Advertisement

JR was absolutely abysmal during the show. I think he gave out about something during every match. Really takes away my enjoyment of some matches. Not saying it was a brilliant show or anything but don't need the commentator to tell me it's ****. Wonder how long his contract is?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Not counting Callis & The Good Brothers I wonder who will be the first Impact talent to show up on and AEW show.

The answer or answers to this I'd imagine are scribbled in Tony Khan's blue Star Trek Captain's Log notebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭ThePott

Could see it being one of the Knockouts tbh with this tournament coming up.
    Failing that, Rich Swann cause they're presumably building the angle that Omega is going to challenge for the title.

Zelina Vega/Thea Trinidad's 90 day no compete must becoming to an end soon I wonder will she be in the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,282 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Btw Penelope's new ring attire and hair cut, 2nd best looking girl in AEW

1st being and will always be Conti (serious crush on her)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Anna Jay is next level good looking. Will probably end up getting some decent gigs outside of wrestling.

854k this week holding steady considering what it's been up against the last three Wednesdays in DC.

It was the highest rated non political or NBA show on cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Anna Jay is next level good looking. Will probably end up getting some decent gigs outside of wrestling.

Herself and Tay are a seriously good looking pair no doubt about that.

10 is a lucky man.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Someone shoot Snoop Dogg for that abomination of a theme song. A perfectly awesome theme song ruined.

I havent watched the show in full yet, just up to Codys entrance but this must be addressed straight away.

(good show thus far, theme song aside)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

That'll be a recorded movie match alright

• Registered Users Posts: 23,170 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Straight up cinematic match

johnny-cage-mk1-head-decapitation-fatality.gif

J. Marston wrote: »

Still very green are Top Flight. Give them time but they are far from the finished article

• Advertisement

No business being anywhere near national TV.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Someone shoot Snoop Dogg for that abomination of a theme song. A perfectly awesome theme song ruined.

I havent watched the show in full yet, just up to Codys entrance but this must be addressed straight away.

(good show thus far, theme song aside)

Ah now the mix Judas and MJFs theme. If its not broke dont fix it.

Overall last light felt like a bridging episode to get them to next week in some respects. It wasnt abd but overall too many neagtives.

Great opener. Loads of fun and loved the segments before and after the whole will he wont he story has been a blast and I cant wait to see where they do. With The Elite vs DO eight man, surely Hangman makes a save here.

Didnt like the Cody match. From his awful theme music to the jobber opponent, it just didnt work for me. I get a kick out of Pretty Peters entrance but thats it. Match went on too long.

The Bucks going to Kenny's house didn't work for me. I like the angle but this segment was very contrived. I like all the players involved but the structure isnt working. That said its not as bad as people make it out too be. A bump in the road.

Loved Jake and Kingstons brief promo. Imagine if they had 10 to 12 mins for a segment.

Mox in a filler match. I yawned liked his promo afterwards. His opponent, cant remember his name, looks good though.

Top Flight have loads of potential but they looked very green tonight. More work to do but I do like em.

Ford and Hirsch was fine. Liked the Miro promo afterwards and interested to see where it leads

The 3 way tag had lots of fun moments but Jericho ruined it. He simply cant go. Hes out of shape, gased and brings everyone down around him. On the flip, everyone else looked good, esp Hager who is much better suited to these multi man matches than singles or normal tags.

Overall it was ok. Roll on next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

That circus performer tag team stuff has never been for me. I'd love to see them sign AOP and absolutely murder them :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

What the hell have they done to Cody and Jericho's themes :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭Riddle101

One thing I hate about wrestling today is how choreographed the matches look. You look at this spot and it looks way too phony. It's no wonder why guys like Jim Cornette sh*t on the product.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,170 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Riddle101 wrote: »
    One thing I hate about wrestling today is how choreographed the matches look. You look at this spot and it looks way too phony. It's no wonder why guys like Jim Cornette sh*t on the product.

You can make flippy shít looks spontaneous and natural, AJ and Ricochet did it brilliantly this week...

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

You can make flippy shít looks spontaneous and natural, AJ and Ricochet did it brilliantly this week...

tenor.gif

You're comparing a 23 year former IWGP Heavyweight Champion veteran and 18 year former Dream Gate Champion veteran to two guys who have been teaming together for a few years and who are only breaking out now on a big stage. It's a ridiculous comparison.

The spot in question was sloppy, no problem with the idea, the execution was off.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Doing highly advanced spots should be left to experienced performers who can pull them off convincingly and safely. AEW letting green workers do whatever they want has already gotten talent injured (e.g. Baker). It also makes it very hard for the better segments to win back the audience after they roll their eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Doing highly advanced spots should be left to experienced performers who can pull them off convincingly and safely. AEW letting green workers do whatever they want has already gotten talent injured (e.g. Baker). It also makes it very hard for the better segments to win back the audience after they roll their eyes.

If you're arguing that AEW'S house style is more dangerous than WWE I'd gladly argue that WWE's ring style is the most dangerous on the planet in numerous respects.

And if you think there's not agents working on match layout with the wrestlers on a live Dynamite then you're completely off base.

And finally, in any other generation you'd not see a team at this stage of their career because they'd still be cutting their teeth on the indies, working out stuff like that spot. Modern wrestling is a ridiculous signing spree of unready talents. Top Flight have potential, that's obvious, but they're still green and need time. That doesn't just go for them, that goes for numerous people and acts across AEW and WWE.

Advertisement