Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

beakerjoe wrote: »
    This is a little bit of a strecth dude, come on.

You had an out of proportion take and your struggling to justify it. Just admit it wasnt that bad

There have already been two serious injuries during the pandemic on AEW. Statlander's ACL injury doing a suicide dive, and Baker's leg injury when two people press slammed Nyla Rose onto her. Both cases of difficult spots and inexperienced talent. There's probably more I can't think of right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Neil3030 wrote: »
    There have already been two serious injuries during the pandemic on AEW. Statlander's ACL injury doing a suicide dive, and Baker's leg injury when two people press slammed Nyla Rose onto her. Both cases of difficult spots and inexperienced talent. There's probably more I can't think of right now.

Accidents happen. No matter where and when.

If these lads were practicing off camera in a training ring, and they missed a spot like this, it happens.

No one was injured here in this spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

20 year veteran and World class pro wrestler Finn Balor suffered a broken jaw against 15 year veteran Kyle O'Reilly recently. Is that because they are inexperienced or unsafe, or rather is it because pro wrestling is inherently dangerous?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,601 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So a footballer breaks his leg in a game then sack the manager for using the player.

It was one missed spot..... yes they are green but they might have practiced this spot 20 times in training teh day before and nailed it each time.

They looked silly. No one got hurt.

• Advertisement

It's incredible how often "accidents happen" when people do risky things.

It's incredible how often "accidents happen" when people do risky things.

Wrestling is a dangerous sport. No one sets out to hurt themselves or others.

Well maybe Bob Holly.

Wrestling is a dangerous sport. No one sets out to hurt themselves or others.

Well maybe Bob Holly.

Well he's a whole other dimension of awful, I'll agree with you on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Well he's a whole other dimension of awful, I'll agree with you on that.

And I'll disagree with you on it.

Sparky Plug is a Saint, and made the sport look real by legit beating the piss outta people. No flips and dives from him.

I can trace the moment when he decided he needed to lay his stuff in.

Twas the 96 Royal Rumble were he threw numerous kicks at the feds newest Big Bai, Vader ,who responded with complete ambivalence . From that day forth Sparky vowed to become Hard-core and lay his sh!t in for realsies.

Arguably should of won the title off Lesnar in 04 and still have it now if he wants it.

#Plugitinbaby

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Nobody was hurt, so talk of injuries and hospitals is pure waffle. It was a botched spot that looked terrible, a mistake from a young wrestler. I don't think you can watch any wrestling show without seeing a botch of some description. Demanding people lose their jobs over it is embarrassing.

• Advertisement

So a footballer breaks his leg in a game then sack the manager for using the player.

Footballer injures himself because the manager put in one of the under-15s and told him to defend a corner by jumping off the crossbar to meet the cross, yes, sack the manager.

Footballer injures himself because the manager put in one of the under-15s and told him to defend a corner by jumping off the crossbar to meet the cross, yes, sack the manager.

Balor breaks his jaw. Fire Triple H? Mitsuharu Misawa (maybe the greatest pro wrestler ever) dies in the ring off a back suplex (a move he's probably taken hundreds of times in his life) should we just end pro wrestling?

Balor breaks his jaw. Fire Triple H? Mitsuharu Misawa (maybe the greatest pro wrestler ever) dies in the ring off a back suplex (a move he's probably taken hundreds of times in his life) should we just end pro wrestling?

Whatever we end could we PLEASE end the whataboutery involving WWE?

Well you're all for firing people, should we fire whoever put together those basic spots too? I'd just like to know at what stage in your opinions would the firings become TOO ridiculous?

Also really looking forward to finding out about when NOAH in 2009 was considered under the WWE umbrella.

Well you're all for firing people, should we fire whoever put together those basic spots too? I'd just like to know at what stage in your opinions would the firings become TOO ridiculous?

Also really looking forward to finding out about when NOAH in 2009 was considered under the WWE umbrella.

This whole discussion emanated from a preposterously UN-basic spot.

Come on dude, he is just providing an example of two pro's who got injured.

WWE in this point is irrelevant.

The point is about 2 pro's, the example given is a recent one. Hence why I imagine he chose it.

This whole discussion emanated from a preposterously UN-basic spot.

And you launched off about safety despite me pointing out that nobody was hurt in that spot while injuries ranging from broken jaws and even death can happen from even the most basic spot performed by some of the most experienced and talented wrestlers that have ever lived. Why? Because pro wrestling is dangerous. You can try to limit the risks, but a simple DDT can break a neck.

Basically your take is bad, you've doubled down on it and tried to shift some goalposts too.

And you launched off about safety despite me pointing out that nobody was hurt in that spot while injuries ranging from broken jaws and even death can happen from even the most basic spot performed by some of the most experienced and talented wrestlers that have ever lived. Why? Because pro wrestling is dangerous. You can try to limit the risks, but a simple DDT can break a neck.

Basically your take is bad, you've doubled down on it and tried to shift some goalposts too.

Surely the inherent danger of the sport is all the more reason to limit (if not prohibit) risky spots with inexperienced talent?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Quick check to see how the AEW thread is going...

oh....

948d1c1554a67baa4c096fc18176d60974-26-itchy-scratchy.rhorizontal.w700.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Embarrassing

• Advertisement

Surely the inherent danger of the sport is all the more reason to limit (if not prohibit) risky spots with inexperienced talent?

They're a high flying babyface tag team! Do you want them grabbing a rest hold for 5 minutes at a time or something? I said the spot needs work, I've no problem with the concept of it at all, which I think you do, and I've even gone into why you are seeing guys in this phase of their career that in the past you would not have seen on such a stage. I've also gone to lengths to point out that while you can try to minimise risk, injuries in pro wrestling is an inevitable part of it and if you don't have the stomach for that then don't watch it.

My takeaways are that either you're way too OTT with safety in pro wrestling or that you've an agenda against that team, that company or that division.

I'd also say that you then pointing out two injuries (to Statlander and Baker) is, at best misleading or at worst a comment made in bad faith, given that in the time period of those injuries you can point out the same if not more injuries in companies ranging from WWE, NJPW, Dragon Gate ect. AEW is hardly the only company to have in ring injuries.

It’s gone way past Doubling down now it’s more on tilt all in with a dead hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

Speaking of botches Jericho was very fortunate he didn't hurt himself more doing the lionsault!

I absolutely love him but he really needs to stick to the more powerhouse version he has become and stop doing risky spots or he needs to lose weight if he wants to keep doing high flying spots and not seriously injure himself.

https://twitter.com/mckenzieas93V2/status/1352094673783947265?s=19

Jericho could go the Bully Ray route now.

We're flogging a dead horse here, and I'm getting tired of the insults, exaggerations, strawmans etc.

Speaking of botches Jericho was very fortunate he didn't hurt himself more doing the lionsault!

I absolutely love him but he really needs to stick to the more powerhouse version he has become and stop doing risky spots or he needs to lose weight if he wants to keep doing high flying spots and not seriously injure himself.

https://twitter.com/mckenzieas93V2/status/1352094673783947265?s=19

1000 percent agree. It was way worse than the Top Flight spot IMO.

I was shocked when he attempted it. Hes was the big negative in the match, where as he should have been able to hide much better in this match considering 5 others involved.

1000 percent agree. It was way worse than the Top Flight spot IMO.

I was shocked when he attempted it. Hes was the big negative in the match, where as he should have been able to hide much better in this match considering 5 others involved.

Suspect the end is nigh for his in ring career. You'd assume his last match will be against MJF as the payoff to this story.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭kksaints

Both them are poor botches. Tbh I have no idea what the tag team are even attempting. You can forgive some inexperience but they really shouldn't be doing moves like that on TV nor should they have been allowed to attempt moves like that until they have more experience.
    Jericho should also know that at his age and level of fitness to minimize his moveset and not attempt moves that are tricky to do for essentially a throwaway multi man tag match. Save them for the ppvs or his retirement run.

Suspect the end is nigh for his in ring career. You'd assume his last match will be against MJF as the payoff to this story.

It should be his last match, but if he got into better shape he can still go.

Look at Steamboat when he fought Jericho at Backlash, I think Steamer was 54 and he was in great condition.

No reason why Jericho cant get back into shape (though its harder to lose it as you get older) and reel back the years.

This Jericho right now is not what I wanna see. Id love to see him lose to MJF and come back in 6 months and kill it.

I dont think it will happen though. With no touring, he surely has the chance to get in shape more so than other years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,170 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Jericho tweeted that he's gonna do the Lionsault twice this week to prove people wrong. Whether he is joking or not remains to be seen.

Advertisement