Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

Penelope Ford is a stunning looking woman.

That was the only good thing about the whole segment. I thought when Miro started doing his speech he was going to admit he was cheating with Penelope the whole time but it just turned into a mess. He is getting wasted teamed up with Kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭ThePott

Kenta angle is class hope this leads to more NJPW crossover even though as said the GTS and the sell were both a bit dodge.
    The wedding angle was a bit of a dud not sure what I expected but after so much promotion would have hoped for something a bit better is all.
    Women's tournament looks really solid, serious amount of Joshi talent there although I do wonder if given the current situation it seems pretty likely the winner will have to be American. Only minor gripes I'd have with it would be that Leyla Hirsch is in despite being beaten by Penelope Ford a few weeks back while she's not in it at all. Shame there's no Impact Knockouts in it either but otherwise sounds pretty promising. Hope it's not all pushed to Youtube though.

Strong show overall though, sounds like an unsanctioned match next week between Moxley and Archer VS. Omega and Kenta.

Enjoyable show. Thought the main event and Britt Vs Thunder Rosa were great. Loved the surprise at the end of the main event as well and excited to see where the relationship between the two companies will go.

Kingston Vs Archer was good.

Probably the most organised battle royal they've done so far but one thing that annoyed me was the camera cutting away from big moments and missing them a few times.

Even if it's a squash, I don't want to see Luther anywhere near a match on Dynamite.

Hated the wedding segment. Went on far too long and the payoff at the end was **** imo.

I don't follow Japanese women's wrestling tbh but was wondering who, out of the names announced for the tournament, to look out for? Anyone decent?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

KENTA :)

That was a class episode, loved it. The main event was great, Rey Fenix and PAC really are two of the very best wrestlers in any company. I liked Baker/Rosa too.

As for the joshi side of the tournament, I'm guessing everyone is familiar with Aja Kong. Yuka and Emi Sakura have already wrestled in AEW and are both very good. Of the first time appearances it has to be Maki Itoh and Mei Suruga, again both good in ring but Itoh is more character driven. Never ever thought I'd see the day when Maki wrestled under the AEW banner, looking forward to it. Pity they couldn't get some STARDOM talent in considering the ties with New Japan.

All these working relationships and exciting new talents appearing on Dynamite, it's not a bad time at all to be a pro-wrestling fan. Just need that cancelled Suzuki/Cassidy match and we're sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Apparently, and it's from Voices Of Wrestling on Twitter, that AEW are working/collaborating with 7 other promotions.

https://twitter.com/voiceswrestling/status/1357178310535634949

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,601 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

They also have a partnership with OWE in China.

NJPW have connections with CMLL and if Evil Uno gets his wish there is a connection to CMLL as well for AEW.

A good rundown of the wrestlers on the Japanese side of the womens tournament, for anyone like me that doesn't know much about them.

https://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2021/02/04/a-primer-to-the-japanese-side-of-the-aew-womens-eliminator-tournament/

A good rundown of the wrestlers on the Japanese side of the womens tournament, for anyone like me that doesn't know much about them.

https://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2021/02/04/a-primer-to-the-japanese-side-of-the-aew-womens-eliminator-tournament/

A sweet crash course on Joshi wrestling it is then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

I mean that KENTA angle at the end was pure gold. For a year people are asking talking about how the IWGP US Title is a waste of time, saying they should strip it from Mox, KENTA is out there with his briefcase cutting killer promos, Mox does the run in on NJPW Strong, KENTA runs in here, we have an Omega/KENTA vs Mox/Archer tornado tag for next week. Long term story, payoff, satisfaction. I love it, man I love it and I popped huge for that angle, for the execution of it and for what it could mean. Pure excitement.

The main event trios was tremendous, great speed to that match, cool spots, and I loved the decisive heel victory. No nonsense, no shenanigans, on the night the BC group were better and you can do a heel victory without nonsense and they can still be heels. ****1/4.

I thought Britt/Rosa was real good too. Had an intensity to it, it felt like a struggle between two athletes who don't like each other. The pace was really pretty high throughout too. The more I think about the match, the more I like it. ***3/4.

The wedding can get in the bin. The payoff wasn't worth the sheer length of it. I did enjoy James Mitchell as (sinister) minister and the crowd chant "baby don't hurt me" did make me laugh. Still though, it just went too long.

Inner Circle stuff is rolling along nicely, and the Battle Royal was really well laid out. Lots of mini stories they managed to include in it on top of the greater overall story. AEW as a company do that very well, reminiscent of the best Royal Rumbles that Patterson would lay out.

Really good Dynamite, that show closer has caught the attention and the rating of next weeks show should reflect that.

The "wedding" could have been scrapped, and no one would have batted an eyelid.

My only complaint from an otherwise top notch show.

• Advertisement

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    The "wedding" could have been scrapped, and no one would have batted an eyelid.

My only complaint from an otherwise top notch show.

Every so often they veer into that stuff. I get why, the AEW core audience are fans of Being the Elite and that's the kinda comedy they like. And sometimes it works for me (the Inner Circle in ring segment a couple weeks ago was really good) and sometimes it does not (the wedding, Inner Circle in Vegas). The two things are, once it doesn't get too cute (which last night did) and it doesn't overstay it's welcome (again, last night's wedding did).

Miro and weddings don't work.

Part of me wonders was this whole thing Miro's idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

An enjoyable episode to say the least.

Loved the battle royal. Exciting and had some nice spots and story development. Live how the Inner Circle story is sailing along.

And for those asking for Top Flight to be canned last week, I guess this week they showed it was one bad spot. Excellent showing from them and the Acclaimed, who are seriously growing in me.

Was fine with the short Hardy Hangman match. It was quick thank god but Matt Hardy wrestling Luthar isnt on my wish list.

Womans match was probably Britts best match yet but Im still not sold on her if im honest

Archer v Kingston was grand. Nothing more nothing less.

Shaq wrestling at his age again doesnt fill me with joy.

Ive no problem with wedding angles, but this one was surprisingly awful. Considering the build, eg the length and Miros involvement, it just was an awful payoff. I expected something better and it felt like they booked the angle without a direction. Just awful. I didnt enjoy the Haddaway bit though.

The six man was awesome and loved Kenta, was shocked as I didnt think it happen but wow. WWE really missed the boat with him.

Yes it had its neagtives, but it was bookended by two great ecciting matches. An enjoyable 2 hours.

Every so often they veer into that stuff. I get why, the AEW core audience are fans of Being the Elite and that's the kinda comedy they like. And sometimes it works for me (the Inner Circle in ring segment a couple weeks ago was really good) and sometimes it does not (the wedding, Inner Circle in Vegas). The two things are, once it doesn't get too cute (which last night did) and it doesn't overstay it's welcome (again, last night's wedding did).

The angle was built up and it appears it had no end game. The wedding should be the pay off and thats why it fell flat for me. Just very aimless. Really out of character for AEW.

It's just so dumb. Everyone wrote off a wedding angle when he was Rusev in WWE and rightly so and what's the first thing they do with him in AEW? Stick him in a wedding angle and we gave them the benefit of the doubt that this must be leading to something even a Miro turn or something but nope. He was Kip's best man and that was it. Dreadful stuff.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    The angle was built up and it appears it had no end game. The wedding should be the pay off and thats why it fell flat for me. Just very aimless. Really out of character for AEW.

It's been a vehicle for The Best Friends comedy stuff, and apparently it's been a holding pattern for Miro to keep him on TV until the big angle they have for him is ready. I don't know if that's ideal, you risk turning the audience against him to the point of no return. The Miro/Kip thing isn't long for this world anyway, that's clear and the 1st seed of the break up was planted last night. I've accepted this isn't for me. And if the angle for Miro is more stuff along these lines then I'll hand waive that too.

It's been a vehicle for The Best Friends comedy stuff, and apparently it's been a holding pattern for Miro to keep him on TV until the big angle they have for him is ready. I don't know if that's ideal, you risk turning the audience against him to the point of no return. The Miro/Kip thing isn't long for this world anyway, that's clear and the 1st seed of the break up was planted last night. I've accepted this isn't for me. And if the angle for Miro is more stuff along these lines then I'll hand waive that too.

Wasnt mad on the players, Kip is as bland as bread. Miro has it but this hasnt been the best show case for him. I stuck with it as ai dont mind these angles. My thinking was AEW has to have a decent end game planned. It went no where sadly.

I like OC but the best friends turn me right off. Miro and OC are capable of more. A straight up Miro vs OC feud would be better without Kip, the wedsing angle that went no where and the Butler gimmick that did nothing much to further this aimless angle.

Not everything is a homerun. Its a negative on an otherwise great period for AEW.

On the flipside Im loving how the Dark Order has evolved since Brodie past. Theyve handled it brilliantly

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Wasnt mad on the players, Kip is as bland as bread. Miro has it but this hasnt been the best show case for him. I stuck with it as ai dont mind these angles. My thinking was AEW has to have a decent end game planned. It went no where sadly.

I like OC but the best friends turn me right off. Miro and OC are capable of more. A straight up Miro vs OC feud would be better without Kip, the wedsing angle that went no where and the Butler gimmick that did nothing much to further this aimless angle.

Not everything is a homerun. Its a negative on an otherwise great period for AEW.

On the flipside Im loving how the Dark Order has evolved since Brodie past. Theyve handled it brilliantly

Ye Dark Order as loveable underdogs works. I like John Silver, he's a good undercard guy to have and he's got pretty great comedic timing. You can work with that. Also agree with your earlier comment on Top Flight and The Acclaimed, real high ceiling for all 4 of those guys.

John Silver that old adage if he was a couple of inches taller he could be a big star in the making.

He will be a very solid entertaining mid card guy for years to come in the wrestling business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

The main event was class, first of all every man in that ring is able to carry himself - then you get the Kenta angle on AEW tv...

I'm just waiting for the supercard at this point and see where they can take it but it feels good to be marking out as an old jaded rasslin fan and looking forward to next week again, for the first time in I can't remember!

Whatever about Kenta I'm thinkin about Okada and Naito and Ibushi coming in live on US tv and being presented as the masters they are, Ospreay vs Pac, Suzuki vs Archer?... This sh1t is exciting if you are a wrestling fan, there's no two ways about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Miro and weddings don't work.

Part of me wonders was this whole thing Miro's idea.

That whole thing banged of Miro's idea to play off that sh1tty storyline with Lana and Lashley before he left WWE . Dunno what it was meant to get across but it was rubbish and he needs to go back to basics character wise. He is a specimen and he actually sounds like Arnie, I'd be worried if they can't get something over out of that.

Shida is back home in Japan that's why she hasn't been on TV lately.

She will be producing the Japanese side of the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

I think Ibushi/Omega, champion vs champion is the ultimate dream match in any AEW/NJPW partnership.

You could have Omega's Bullet Club vs White's Bullet Club, the possibilities are endless really. Any of LIJ on Dynamite would be a mark out moment for sure.

Going the other way would be sweet too, imagine Rey Fenix in the BOSJ, or throw a few teams over for the WTL.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Has Shaq/Jade v Cody/Red Velvet been relegated to TV? Was sure that was gonna be a PPV match. Zero interest in seeing Shaq do anything.

No pretty sure that was always going to be a TNT match since it has been cross promoted on the NBA show for a few weeks now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Actually they never stated it was for PPV now that I think back. O Neal just said “March” when asked about it. Having said that, the Jade video looked great. She’s got a phenomenal look. Almost superhero-like

If Jade can actually work they might have a huge star in their hands.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Actually they never stated it was for PPV now that I think back. O Neal just said “March” when asked about it. Having said that, the Jade video looked great. She’s got a phenomenal look. Almost superhero-like

I felt like it was implied that it was for the Revolution PPV. Ti he fair the never said PPV but it seemed that it was heading that way.

Couldnt care about Shaq or Red Velvet yet. Be interesting to see Jade work a big match. She'll be doing the heavy lifting for sure.

I hope I'm wrong but I worry that people are jumping the gun with the NJPW thing.
    I don't think this necessarily means all bets are off and everyone can wrestle between the two promotions. They're clearly between a rock and a hard place with Moxley with him being champion and needing Kenta to fight him. The sort of had to go through Tony Khan to get the match to happen but I don't think it means (at least yet) that we're gonna get a massive Bullet Club crossover or Okada, Ibushi or Naito are gonna be on Dynamite yet or anything. Anyone else feel that way?

Again I hope I'm wrong but I do wonder if this was just a situation where the companies needed to work together (NJPW needed it more than AEW for the Moxley/Kenta feud) and not some long-term sure thing like people want it to be. It's exciting stuff regardless though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,075 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just waiting for the crossover of Pieter and Allie. Battle of the Bunnies.

Out of curiosity, I was googling to see if Kip and Penelope were married in real life and seems the wedding here was legit. Guess that's why it didn't really have any interruptions until after

Advertisement