Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Im surprised at this news.

Always felt he was WWE for life with how they use him over the years. Always seemed to be a company man.

Its a smart move by AEW, he is a mainstream name (though they cant use Big Show) and being associated with him adds legitimacy to AEWs brand from a household POV.

Yes he cant wrestle much anymore, but his name is very recognizable with non fans and Im sure his signing will annoy WWE.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,275 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I heard he's ment to be very good on commentary?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,345 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I'm surprised he didn't own the Big Show name, maybe him giving it up was in a clause for his wwe release

Can we have a jerishow reunion ha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Headshot wrote: »
    TK is like an encyclopedia for wrestling, it blows my mind the knowledge he has

Like the guy is just listing off tag team members, sleezethreads on the DVDVR forum, and giving the year for Regal's KOR win off the top of his head. It really was just pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,598 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The star of Netflix’s The Big Show Show.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Oh wow.

I mean, I'm not a massive Big Show fan in recent years, from a creative stand point.

But I'm genuinely shocked at that one. I really thought he was locked in to WWE, and Vince would give him anything he wanted. Seeing him jump to AEW, even though he's not been in WWE for a while, feels massive.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Oh wow.

I mean, I'm not a massive Big Show fan in recent years, from a creative stand point.

But I'm genuinely shocked at that one. I really thought he was locked in to WWE, and Vince would give him anything he wanted. Seeing him jump to AEW, even though he's not been in WWE for a while, feels massive.

Id say this one hurts Vince personally.

I always assume she'd be a WWE loyalist.

Oh wow.

Exactly my feelings. I can't say I've ever been a big fan but always thought he'd never go to another company. There wasn't even a rumour of his contract expiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭ThePott

Thought he'd be a lifer and retire in WWE at least.
    According to PWInsider:
    PWInsider.com is told that WWE and Wight were unable to come to terms on a new deal financially and his final contract with the company last month, days after he made an appearance being verbally bullied by Randy Orton on the Raw Legends Night episode on 1/4. One source stated that Wight was very open that night about his unhappiness about the situation. Wight, who did not publicly announce his departure, was moved this week to WWE.com's Alumni section on 2/19.

ThePott wrote: »
    Thought he'd be a lifer and retire in WWE at least.
    According to PWInsider:

His value is greater in AEW than WWE. Had he signed with WWE, no one would bat an eyelid.

Signing with AEW generates discussion and interest, gets eyes on AEW now as I am curious how they use him.

AEW had more to gain here than WWE. Not interested in seeing him wrestle but I am interested in how they use him.

• Advertisement

There will also be someone new given the final spot in Revolution Ladder Match qualifiers.

Let the guessing begin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭ThePott

Oh of course, with WWE he would do a few publicity appearances maybe at most a yearly match and pop up for Raw Legends night. They don't need him but just figured he'd stay there for the comfort at the end of his career. It's worth signing him to AEW for just the optics if nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Suprised about Big Show, but also somewhat disappointed. Have never really been a Big Show fan, but especially now, I just don't really see much to be gained in signing him.

ThePott wrote: »
    Oh of course, with WWE he would do a few publicity appearances maybe at most a yearly match and pop up for Raw Legends night. They don't need him but just figured he'd stay there for the comfort at the end of his career. It's worth signing him to AEW for just the optics if nothing else.

He can easily be used as a mentor/heater for a younger talent. In the same vein as Jake and Tully, but his name is arguably so well known, its a great coup for AEW. Tony is making a lot of right moves.

Jericho has copyrighted his CMLL name Corazon de Leon which translates to Lion Heart he wrestled for them from 92 to 95.

I wonder where this might lead that he waited the guts of 25 years to copyright it.

Another partnership in the works that he would want to have the rights to the name for selling merch.

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Suprised about Big Show, but also somewhat disappointed. Have never really been a Big Show fan, but especially now, I just don't really see much to be gained in signing him.

He is a household name, all my non wrestling fans mates know Rock, Austin Big Show. He gives there brand more mainstream credibility, something Kenny Omega and The Bucks can not give them. Non wrestling fans easily recognize him.

He has years of experience.

He can easily be used without wrestling. Commentator, manager, bodyguard, backstage producer, agent.

Can still be used in multi man matches.

Its a kick in the teeth to Vince to see one of his former top guys go to the competition.

I cant see any negatives unless he's costing a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

A very left field announcement, doubt many were expecting that! Always thought he was quite under-rated as a talker so looking forward to hearing him on commentary.

The Big Show is more a household name than 90% of pro wrestlers for AEW to exploit from movies and TV shows and has always been a good interview on talk shows he will be very good PR for AEW on main stream TV in the States.

Thea Trinidad's no compete just expired she would be a great get as well for AEW.

Her Hubby seems to be getting the PAC treatment off the WWE at the moment.

https://twitter.com/TheaTrinidad/status/1364588113851465728?s=20

Sure look at this thread, its been mental busy after this news. Point is, it has generated a buzz.

Had Val Venis signed, we wouldnt give two poops.

Big Show has value.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

beakerjoe wrote: »

They need to avoid putting him in the main event. That would flip it from a positive to a negative.

But they seem to be saying he's involved with the Dark show?

Fact is, I can't remember the last time I clicked into this thread to actually talk about AEW. But this generates interest.

Used right, as a developmental talent, he's a massive, massive get.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I did not expect that!

But the important question is Is he a face or a heel?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

They need to avoid putting him in the main event. That would flip it from a positive to a negative.

But they seem to be saying he's involved with the Dark show?

Fact is, I can't remember the last time I clicked into this thread to actually talk about AEW. But this generates interest.

Used right, as a developmental talent, he's a massive, massive get.

I know the talk online is of the numerous benefits that Wight brings in terms of positive PR (very good guy to have on your side by all accounts, naturally eye catching as a PR person and well spoken, has big name value) and what he can bring to AEW in terms of his role in developing younger wrestlers (there's not a tonne of useful big man wrestlers around that to learn from) and what he can bring to this new AEW show in a commentary role (which I'm looking forward to). Much like Sting, I think having him there in special attraction matches maybe 3 or 4 times a year to pop a number can only be a good thing. I doubt you'll see him headline a PPV, or have a run with the World Title, but with the right story and the right opponent I could absolutely imagine him in a semi main ppv spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So Elevation is just another episode of Dark?
    Commentary partner to be Veda Scott?
    Speaking of, surprised she's not involved with the current tournament

The Big Show was probably the first big WCW name to jump to WWE during the Monday Night wars and has been a company man for 22 years so for him to jump to AEW that will ring through the WWE locker room.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭Riddle101

beakerjoe wrote: »
    He is a household name, all my non wrestling fans mates know Rock, Austin Big Show. He gives there brand more mainstream credibility, something Kenny Omega and The Bucks can not give them. Non wrestling fans easily recognize him.

I get that Big Show is a household name but he isn't The Rock or Austin though. Big Show in this day and age isn't interesting to watch. Non-wrestling fans might show interest but I don't think it would be enough to get people to tune in. You'd need a major signing like John Cena or Batista to do something like that. It just feels like they're falling into the same hole as TNA did back in the day when they signed old WWE and WCW talent. It became a running joke for TNA where people would call it a retirement home. Some of those veterans they signed were a waste of time.
    He can easily be used without wrestling. Commentator, manager, bodyguard, backstage producer, agent.

I would hope that at the very least, he would be placed in a non-wrestling role. I've no desire to see him perform in the ring.
    Can still be used in multi man matches.

Perhaps, he would need to be placed in multi man matches so that the other wrestlers can carry him.
    Its a kick in the teeth to Vince to see one of his former top guys go to the competition.

I wish AEW would just focus on building its own brand and not having to rely on these types of tactics. That being said, Big Show hasn't been of much use to WWE in years so it probably would be a small loss to Vince.

His age is a problem as he slow in the ring, his best days are long behind him. His matches aren't really captivating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Have to disagree with the take that AEW are falling into the same hole TNA did in terms of signing EX-WWE wrestlers.

WWE is the biggest company in the world and have been obsessively hoarding wrestlers for almost a decade, obviously some of those talents are going to be signed by different companies, especially one starting from scratch.

Without mentioning Omega, Bucks, Hangman, Rosa, Shida, Jungle Boy, MJF, Fenix and Penta and the plethora of other talents who are prominently pushed and don't have the stench of WWE on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell this was completely out of nowhere. I had seen something on Twitter earlier today about Big Show being moved to WWE's alumni section, didn't really think to much of it until just an hour ago, when my brain (slowly) put 2+2 together.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,169 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Riddle101 wrote: »
    I get that Big Show is a household name but he isn't The Rock or Austin though. Big Show in this day and age isn't interesting to watch. Non-wrestling fans might show interest but I don't think it would be enough to get people to tune in. You'd need a major signing like John Cena or Batista to do something like that. It just feels like they're falling into the same hole as TNA did back in the day when they signed old WWE and WCW talent. It became a running joke for TNA where people would call it a retirement home. Some of those veterans they signed were a waste of time.

Jericho, Big Show, Matt Hardy, Sting. Not to mention all their pensioner managers.

Serious bang of TNA off them now.

• Advertisement

Jericho, Mox ,Cody, FTR, Matt Hardy Shawn Spears, PAC, Brodie Lee and now the Big Show.

Jericho & Cody being founders of AEW

I would say the rest have been used correctly in their roles with in AEW.

The Big Shows seems like he will be an attraction wrestler for them and used in other roles.

Double AA, Taz, Vickie, Jake, DDP have all ben used correctly to enhance talent.

Sting is and always will be linked to WCW not TNA or WWE and again brings name value to the product for lapsed fans.

JR is probably been the biggest failure using a former talent from the WWE.

Edit: Left out Miro which probably shows he hasn't been used correctly yet however I somehow think the whole Best Man gimmick is down to him and not Tony K.

Double edit: I forgot about Hager and Dustin both of whom are filling their roles well as well.

Advertisement