Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

I hope it's Speedball or anyone really apart from Ethan Page in the ladder match.

Yeah, I never got the love for Page in Impact. Would have no problem with them passing on signing him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭NITRO95

I hope it's Speedball or anyone really apart from Ethan Page in the ladder match.

I'd love if it was Speedball but I'm not sure if his ban is up yet. He'd be perfect for the surprise opponent spot, don't build him up and just let him impress those people that aren't familiar with him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

NITRO95 wrote: »
    I'd love if it was Speedball but I'm not sure if his ban is up yet. He'd be perfect for the surprise opponent spot, don't build him up and just let him impress those people that aren't familiar with him

The ban is debated. Some have it ending earlier this week. Others say it runs til March 16th/20th.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,598 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A quick look say he was caught crossing the border on March 2016 so the 5 years are up this month.

The thing is would he be able to get a work permit while banned for not having one.

I think I he would have to wait till his ban was up before re applying for a new work permit and that could take a few months to happen.

The big HOF worthy signing is one of three guys for me. Its gotta be either Punk, Lesnar or Cena. Anything else will feel like a let down but I know TK is smart enough not to go full Dixie (you never go full Dixie) and build up the hype unless the reveal is something huge.

One of those three would be the only signings that would match the hype for me.

I wonder if Tony Khan is regretting what he said with everyone throwing out big names like the above haha. He can't really come out and say "well it's not that big a signing" to temper expectations. It could cost him PPV buys and make the actual signing look bad :D

He doesn't want to be another Dixie promising big things and not delivering as you said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Hope so as Darby has been a hugely underwhelming champion.

Ive felt hes been fine, maybe under used in the ring (only 4 matches since his win in November 2020).

He had a great match with Joey Janela, arguably Janela's best 1 on 1 match to date that Ive seen.

His match with Cage was extremely entertaining.

His feud with Team Taz and Sting took a while to get going, but overall I have enjoyed his work.
    Headshot wrote: »
    I think Scorpio Sky could have a big say in the ladder match, quite an interesting commentary he had on Wednesday, kinda heal (ish)

Hes going down the heel route if his turn on commentary is anything to go by. Maybe he loses as a result of Cody or Archer and takes his loss out on them.

I cant see it being Bailey, but Im happy to be wrong. The match is missing an out and out high flyer of the likes of Fenix. (Though Penta and Sky and rise to the occasion. ). Im thinking it is Page but I hope Im wrong.

Bailey wouldnt be cleared yet IMO based off the reasons above, but I am basing that on my opinion rather than fact.

Either way Im very curious and hyped for it. Potential show stealer.

Can they really afford $12m a year for Lesnar which was what Vince was paying him and what would you really do with him?

I wouldn't want him as AEW champion and turning up once a month.

I want the long term story with Kenny to pay off.

If Lesnar comes in and loses to Kenny where do you go from there with him.

Cena/Big Dave would want a couple of million to work part time.

Would Punk come in and work a fulltime schedule? He also want a couple of million a year.

If Punk was ready to work that schedule then he would be worth it.

One of those three would be the only signings that would match the hype for me.

I wonder if Tony Khan is regretting what he said with everyone throwing out big names like the above haha. He can't really come out and say "well it's not that big a signing" to temper expectations. It could cost him PPV buys and make the actual signing look bad :D

He doesn't want to be another Dixie promising big things and not delivering as you said.

Cena, Brock or Punk would be huge. I cant see it being Cena as he was recently being used to hock Wrestlemania this year.

Brock would be an expensive signing and while I think he'd be a game changer in many terms, I think Kahn may keep his money rather than blow it on Lesnar.

Lesnar isnt a company guy, he goes where the money is.

Punk is a more realistic option but I just doubt it.

Trish or Christian appear more realistic, though both appear to be WWE employees.

Taker - Hes done in ring, but is a huge household name, will get eyes on the product. But he is the ultimate company man, no way is he going.

I dont know who it is, no clue. Everyone I think of, I can think of reasons to discount them. Some will be let downs (Angle) some are past it (Taker, Angle, Christian).

Im hoping its Punk, but my better judgment says otherwise.

ouple of million to work part time.

Would Punk come in and work a fulltime schedule? He also want a couple of million a year.

Lesnar is a short term gain signing.... an expensive one. Its not him IMO.

Punk will obviously want to be paid, but i would imagine he will take great pleasure in attempting to topple Vince and Paul. He has the anger and he's a bitter man, no better motivators. Hes a realistic possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭NITRO95

Can they really afford $12m a year for Lesnar which was what Vince was paying him and what would you really do with him?

I wouldn't want him as AEW champion and turning up once a month.

I want the long term story with Kenny to pay off.

If Lesnar comes in and loses to Kenny where do you go from there with him.

Cena/Big Dave would want a couple of million to work part time.

Well a full time commitment to AEW right now is every second Wednesday and 1 Sunday every 12 weeks. So yes I can absolutely see Punk committing to that schedule. Obviously it won't always be that light but Punk won't all of a sudden be out there working GCW or flying to Europe every weekend just because he signed with AEW. Don't forget AEW have never ran a single house show. They might never go the house show route

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭ThePott

Yeah I think some of these suggestiosn are pie in the sky.

I'm still under the impression that it won't be an active competitor.
    That being said, not sure if they will hit Lesnar's fee especially for a "multi-year" deal.
    We keep hearing Ronda wants a family, don't think she'd be likely to sign a multi year deal either and I think she'd be more inclinded to go to WWE as she would probably get a better check from them.
    Punk while I'd love it, I don't see it. I think if he really wanted back in he'd be back and I'm burnt out on teases at this stage. I don't know if they'd even announce it either.
    I think people suggesting Taker, Rock or John Cena need their heads examined personally.

I think it's probably going to be a veteran who's taking on a more behind the scenes or managerial role. I still think Angle makes the most sense even if I could see him doing another run.

ThePott wrote: »
    Punk while I'd love it, I don't see it. I think if he really wanted back in he'd be back and I'm burnt out on teases at this stage. I don't know if they'd even announce it either.

Punk was burnt out, but he's slowly been dipping his toes in. His venture on Fox shows he still enjoys the business and he's not doing much else that would be considered big work.

AEW sure has to be enticing. I imagine decent money, no touring schedule (at least at the moment), the opportunity to give WWE a big FU, and he gets most likely to working a profession he loves without the toxicity.

I'm sure it wont be long before he's in AEW in some form.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭ThePott

I know this is the romanticised narrative of it but he's also barely been in a ring in years. The Fox show was about money at the end of the day even if he did have fun I don't think it should major love for the business or anything. I'm not saying he isn't more receptive to wrestling than he used to be but I don't think at 42 he's going to sign a multi year deal maybe not as an in-ring competitor anyway.

I don't know if the guy needs money anyway. He has had some acting work lately but I don't think the fact he doesn't have much big work means he is going to jump back into wrestling. Let's face it if he wanted the guy could be a millonaire when the Con circuit starts up again for half the work. I don't think him coming back with be devoid of toxicity anyway even if only online. I just don't think it's a slam dunk and we hear these rumours every few months and it means nothing. He's always been happy to string along wrestling fans for a bit of buzz.

I would never rule it out, in fact I'd love to see him back but I don't know if it will be an in-ring role and I also don't know why they would tease it like this if it was Punk.

I really think it might be The American Dragon.

He signed a 3 year deal when he returned to ring in March 2018.

He said late last year he wanted to slow down and move part-time and that his contract was coming to an end.

He is a guy who can work part time with AEW and have a whole load of new guys to work with and some old friends friends to work with.

He said late last year he wanted to slow down and move part-time and that his contract was coming to an end.

He is a guy who can work part time with AEW and have a whole load of new guys to work with and some old friends friends to work with.

Hes been on heavily focused on WWE far too much lately. Had his deal been expiring, and had he not re-signed, he'd be nowhere near WWE programming the the last 3 months at least, let alone focus of a PPV 2 weeks ago.

Not happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,275 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Sean Waltman

Nah you can rule out anyone that's being used prominently on WWE atm. WWE aren't that stupid to let someone appear in recent weeks who's contract will expire soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,275 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I just hope it's not Kurt Angle :/

Angle, Foley & Henry will be big let downs.

They are all HOF’ers so hopefully that rules them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,169 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Selina Fega :pac:

• Advertisement

Nah you can rule out anyone that's being used prominently on WWE atm. WWE aren't that stupid to let someone appear in recent weeks who's contract will expire soon.

And if they did you can be sure they will bury him on the way out in an effort to devalue him to the viewer.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Selina Fega :pac:

Cameo/Twitch's Hall of Famer? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,899 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

J. Marston wrote: »

So it’s male and it’s one of his favourite wrestlers ? Surely the wrestling inter webs should be able to get to the bottom of that one. Or narrow it down at the very least.
    well having had a very curious google search a few names come up. Ric flair and macho man Randy savage,Bret hart, Steve Austin, Chris Jericho. I’ve added these names because they come from actual quotes from Tony khan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

If it's one of his favourite wrestlers it would make me think it's someone from Japan but there's really no one you could put your finger on that's available without really delving into the terms of fantasy booking.

Either way people will find a way to be disappointed with who ever it is but you only have to look at this thread to see the interest it's generated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Gotta love the fact that AEW has caught the fan's attention with who the Hall of a Famer could be. They really know how the build interest in their product.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,899 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Gotta love the fact that AEW has caught the fan's attention with who the Hall of a Famer could be. They really know how the build interest in their product.

Building interest is one thing. Actually delivering on the hype from that interest is the thing they need to pull off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Imagine if it was someone like Steve Austin. That would be earth shattering.

Hall of Fame worthy talent speaks to me as though someone who is yet to be inducted however.

Advertisement