Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

daithi1989 wrote: »
    Remember the Ambrose/Wyatt exploding TV spot? And how ridiculed it was? Well its now not the worse spot Mox has been in!

It was a great match til Gallows and Anderson’s involvement (as others have said also), but the explosion at the end was laughable - when AEW arguable had/have more eyes than ever on their product, thats how they close a PPV... Pretty poor!

If WWE ended EC with something similar, they would be destroyed...

And AEW will suffer the same ridicule. Such a pity though. Really enjoyed the match.

When this stip was announced I had these fears the stip would make or break the match. It did make the match but then it broke it.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭nazmoalex

I was enjoying the main event until the Goof Bros showed up, it almost saved the show overall for me. Even then I could understand the shady finish, but jaysus lads, have a plan b if the piro or whatever doesn't work. Kingston looks like a complete d¡ck now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Mox s***ing on the finish in a post show promo, says Omega is "a tough SOB but can't build an exploding ring for s***" glad he acknowledged how dopey it looked to the live audience, I can't stress enough how much I love this man.

Sirsok wrote: »
    Jaysus man thats a generous star rating your going by. Nearly five stars? Comparable to HBK and Taker at Mania 25. Would ya give over.

No way would or could that match be classified as anywhere near epic

I was the low man on that match so bad comp there.

But ye this had two stunning performances, a great story and a big match feel. Had it ended 3 minutes later with a hot stretch, a big clean finish I'd have gone 5 on it I thought it was that good. Mox particularly was out of this world in that match, that guy is pro wrestling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

beakerjoe wrote: »
    And AEW will suffer the same ridicule. Such a pity though. Really enjoyed the match.

When this stip was announced I had these fears the stip would make or break the match. It did make the match but then it broke it.
    THIS! Even with Good Brothers interference I was like "okay, one of the ropes was not barbed wired. Still against the match, but okay". I didn't mind it. How the "no failsafe" was handled and kingston selling sparkles on the turnbuckles soured me so much. They did it good and fcuked the ending so bad. Again, WWE have broken rings in singles matches. If you won't break a ring for a non-failsafe deathmatch when can you?

• Advertisement

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    I inherently disagree. The point of a barbed wire deathmatch is that it's literally a cage match but more violent. Good brothers interfering knocks it from a 4.5 to a 3.5. Then the ending with their being no failsafe and it literally being sparklers on the turnbuckles knocks it from 3.5 to 2.5. Having Kingston sell the ring exploding when it's so obvious it hasn't knocks it from 2.5 to 2. The whole match is ruined by this crap. Because a finish and it's after effects are just as important as the match itself.

They established that there was a side of the ring that was regular for the doctor to enter. No issue with that, no real issue with the finish either because I believe it's the right one even if it did knock off half a star because I don't believe in giving 5 stars for screwy finishes.

The post match I don't count in the star rating part either.

But the post match was a big letdown. Everything leading up to it was great, then nothing happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

But ye this had two stunning performances, a great story and a big match feel. Had it ended 3 minutes later with a hot stretch, a big clean finish I'd have gone 5 on it I thought it was that good. Mox particularly was out of this world in that match, that guy is pro wrestling.

You were low on that Mania 25 match but felt this was stunning or the performances was?

You were low on that Mania 25 match but felt this was stunning?

Was not a fan of it anywhere near where some people ended up with it. That's a discussion for a different day and a different thread but if it ever happens I'd easily name 30 matches I rated higher than that one, a couple from WWE itself.

But ye both guys had a tonne of ideas, worked it great, sold superbly, a masterclass in working and making a very safe match come across as dangerous along with the actual drama, storytelling and work you'd expect from two world class pros.

They established that there was a side of the ring that was regular for the doctor to enter. No issue with that, no real issue with the finish either because I believe it's the right one even if it did knock off half a star because I don't believe in giving 5 stars for screwy finishes.

The post match I don't count in the star rating part either.

But the post match was a big letdown. Everything leading up to it was great, then nothing happened.
    Nonsense. A finish and a story a finish tells counts a big way towards a rating. I won't engage if you think the finish and what happens after doesn't count (especially when the "after 30 minutes the ring explodes" is a factor before the match even starts) 4.5 stars is an absurd rating. It puts it on par with HBK vs Undertaker 1, Ciampa vs Gargano last man standing, lots of other great matctches. It's nowhere near that level even before we take into account the Good brothers.

Sorry, but most people felt Meltzer rated that lower than it should be. This says it all honestly. You have no idea what a good match actually is.

• Advertisement

That main event was a 2 star at best. Literally shockmaster levels bad when it came to the end of the ppv.

Nonsense. A finish and a story a finish tells counts a big way towards a rating. I won't engage if you think the finish and what happens after doesn't count (especially when the "after 30 minutes the ring explodes" is a factor before the match even starts) 4.5 stars is an absurd rating. It puts it on par with HBK vs Undertaker 1, Ciampa vs Gargano last man standing, lots of other great matctches. It's nowhere near that level even before we take into account the Good brothers.

Jesus time for bed when two of the worst examples of melodrama infiltrating Pro wrestling are thrown at me as examples of "great" wrestling. Dude we live in an age where great wrestling is everywhere (!) and you've come up with Gargano/Ciampa? OK, Okada/Omega, Okada/Tanahashi, Omega/Naito I'd say fair enough but bloody Gargano/Ciampa? I wouldn't watch that match again if they were doing it in my back yard.

No I don't count anything past the bell in the rating. The finish did knock it down a peg for me but I've said that twice already. So I've no idea where your rating ended up but I'd happily defend that match as a 4.5 choice. The average rating for it atm on Grappl is 4.10 so I'm not a million miles above the average.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

That finish to Moxley/Omega was basically their This Is Spinal Tap "Stonehenge" moment.....

That aside, good PPV..

Sorry, but most people felt Meltzer rated that lower than it should be. This says it all honestly. You have no idea what a good match actually is.

Hahaha tell you what, not here but if you want to send me your 10 best matches from last year, I'll send you mine and we can run through those

Was not a fan of it anywhere near where some people ended up with it. That's a discussion for a different day and a different thread but if it ever happens I'd easily name 30 matches I rated higher than that one, a couple from WWE itself.

But ye both guys had a tonne of ideas, worked it great, sold superbly, a masterclass in working and making a very safe match come across as dangerous along with the actual drama, storytelling and work you'd expect from two world class pros.

Yeah I'm glad you enjoyed it but for me it was piss poor to be honest. With the only impressive thing being the Angel on the chair.

I'll admit the hype surrounding it may of having me waiting for something big and was ultimately disappointing when nothing came in return.

As far as story, nothing impressive happened. There was no real moment of anticipation with experience tonight of first explosion(which was a dud) and the final explosion( which was legit as bad as the Bray Wyatt Swamp match)

I love a bit of ultra violence in wrestling and this failed to deliver,intact last time I properly think some ultraviolence did deliver was Foley and Edge.

Twas a fun midland type match, but a main event calibre match....never.

Hahaha tell you what, not here but if you want to send me your 10 best matches from last year, I'll send you mine and we can run through those

If Mox and Omega Exploding Barbed Wire Death Match is on your list, then it probably doesn't hold much merit to be fair.

I don't watch much outside of WWE, AEW and the odd NJPW event but if you hold that match in same esteem as the ones you watch in DDT, well it doesn't really say much

Yeah I'm glad you enjoyed it but for me it was piss poor to be honest. With the only impressive thing being the Angel on the chair.

I'll admit the hype surrounding it may of having me waiting for something big and was ultimately disappointing when nothing came in return.

As far as story, nothing impressive happened. There was no real moment of anticipation with experience tonight of first explosion(which was a dud) and the final explosion( which was legit as bad as the Bray Wyatt Swamp match)

I love a bit of ultra violence in wrestling and this failed to deliver,intact last time I properly think some ultraviolence did deliver was Foley and Edge.

Twas a fun midland type match, but a main event calibre match....never.

I mean I honestly disagree in a big way but I'm up in 3 hours time and I gotta sleep.

I think it has requisite violence. I didn't expect or want CZW in my pro wrestling, if I want that I can watch that. I wanted two great pro wrestlers to have a great match in the confines of a garbage match and they did. There was a story, there was stakes, a big match feel and tremendous work. There were some fantastic looking spots, a couple of brilliantly constructed set pieces, some examples of top drawer selling. It was a great match in the guise of a garbage match.

The finish and the post match (the explosion not Kingston) I didn't like, nobody did so we're all on board with that. The explosion was flat out awful. But I was talking purely about the bell to bell and maybe that's where we're on very different pages.

If Mox and Omega Exploding Barbed Wire Death Match is on your list, then it probably doesn't hold much merit to be fair.

I don't watch much outside of WWE, AEW and the odd NJPW event but if you hold that match in same esteem as the ones you watch in DDT, well it doesn't really say much

Again all I'll say is my rating isn't far off the consensus. And if there's a more accurate star rater (aside from RollieFingers probably) who watches more stuff than I do on this board then I can't wait to meet that person. Yes, I do realise I've stolen Joe Lanza's gimmick there too.

And the consensus has it at 4.11 right now btw.

Last post tonight. Khan is currently on the post ppv press conference leaning into it saying Omega built a dud bomb. Right move to do so rather than pretending it was great. The best option would've been that the explosion was actually great.

They could have saved face by saying Omega built it, but Kingston looks like a complete joke now selling it. Total farce, no amount of sleep will change that. Goodnight peeps

• Advertisement

nazmoalex wrote: »
    They could have saved face by saying Omega built it, but Kingston looks like a complete joke now selling it. Total farce, no amount of sleep will change that. Goodnight peeps

Khan's doing that atm in the press conference, says Omega drew up the plan in crayons.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Last post tonight. Khan is currently on the post ppv press conference leaning into it saying Omega built a dud bomb. Right move to do so rather than pretending it was great. The best option would've been that the explosion was actually great.

Kenny Omega clearly went to the Wile E. Coyote school of how to blow stuff up :pac:

Hopefully if they ever do the exploding barbed wire death match again, they'll learn and actually have a bigger explosion..

Only way out, but Kingston looks like a complete nonce now. Enjoyed the ppv overall, but disappointed. Here's hoping the next one is better. Peace out

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Kenny Omega clearly went to the Wile E. Coyote school of how to blow stuff up :pac:

Hopefully if they ever do the exploding barbed wire death match again, they'll learn and actually have a bigger explosion..

Hahaha I've seen some of the edit vids for the ending and the wet fart one or the one where they edit in the explosion from a Japanese exploding ring death match both cracked me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,596 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Vince won't be putting Christian into the WWE Hall of Fame now.

Blue dot maybe goes in

christian-blue-dot-600x338.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I like Christian, but the AEW build up didn't really suit him. Bit of a let down.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I mean, it's still a weak division. It's far and away the weakest part of their roster and that's not due to lack of trying with booking.

AEWs women division is very under rated imo. Sure it's not WWE level (when you include NXT), but it's still got some great wrestlers now that the joshis are back in it after covid.

Shida is excellent, then you've Thunder Rosa, Britt Baker, Anna Jay, Riho, Deeb, Statlander, Nyla Rose, Jade Cargill, Red Velvet on the US side, and when you add in the ones coming across from Japan more often now (like Maki Itoh and Ryo Mizunami last night) it's becoming a good division imo. Take a while to get to WWEs standards but imo Shida is as good as anyone in WWE.

Also, i'm delighted it's Christian. Sure, he isn't the big name that Lesnar would have been, but he also fits far better in AEW than Lesnar does (Lesnar would dwarf most of AEW). He's only 47 so if he's cleared and healthy, he can do some good matches

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Ah, I see the “everything AEW does is aMaZiNg” lads are still out in force. That was a pathetic ending

Ah, I see the “everything AEW does is aMaZiNg” lads are still out in force. That was a pathetic ending

Gonna assume that's me since apparently I'm the AEW guy around here, or partially at me. So Chuck can you please point to where anyone said the exploding ring was "amazing" or anything to that effect? Like just one example of anyone on this board making that post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I like Christian, but the AEW build up didn't really suit him. Bit of a let down.

I was reading chatter online and people think that they should just of had Christian come out. None of this "there's a big name and future hall of famer debuting on Sunday" - just randomly debut him.

All this hype just makes people think it's gonna be punk or other people will join in like Angle posting that video to his Twitter.

Advertisement