Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,596 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Paul Wight
    "Here's the thing, Vince actually called me the day it was announced that I signed with AEW, wished me a lot of luck, agreed that I'm a big asset to AEW and thanked me for all the years I worked in WWE. There's no animosity, there's no anger, there's no dirt, so to speak. This just came down to, you know, contract negotiations and opportunities. Let's face it, over 20 years in WWE, I have done everything there is to do, in WWE. I needed a fresh start, and for me, Vince understands that and understands me as a talent, and this was an opportunity for me to do that."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2935108-vince-mcmahon-called-paul-wight-khan-on-christians-deal-bully-ray-trolls-aew

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭showpony1

Grown men selling sparklers going off in the corner in the main event of Anthony Kahn's big PPV is the end of my interest in the AEW product unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

showpony1 wrote: »
    Grown men selling sparklers going off in the corner in the main event of Anthony Kahn's big PPV is the end of my interest in the AEW product unfortunately.

That's where you draw the line? As opposed to all the litany of any other embarrassing moments across scattered pro wrestling in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Only got to watch the PPV last night after work, was tough avoiding here and Twitter for spoilers!

Hate to say it about AEW but I thought the majority of the show sucked. I loved the Death match, it was easily the best thing on the show up until Omega got the win. Obviously the God-tier level Wrestlecrap entry that was the countdown explosion is the only thing that will be remembered but I thought it was a great match.

Bucks/Inner Circle set the tone for me, they just didn't click at all. They lost me as soon as Page came out for the ladder match, wasn't a fan of the cinematic match and I have the same amount of interest in seeing Christian as I do Edge in 2021, less than zero.

I did enjoy Miro looking like the beast he should have been from the start though and Ryo/Shida was good if slightly long.

I think they can turn it back around but the show feels like a disappointment for AEW. Thank fcuk for the abundance of Puro and Joshi at the minute, something to cleanse the palate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    That's where you draw the line? As opposed to all the litany of any other embarrassing moments across scattered pro wrestling in general?

Yeh I don't get that, it looked terrible but one embarrassing moment isn't going to be enough to make me stop watching.

As for the worst thing I've ever seen in wrestling shout, I don't see it. From recent memory Alexa Bliss casting spells, Randy Orton setting a dummy on fire and the eyeball match were all way worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Again all I'll say is my rating isn't far off the consensus. And if there's a more accurate star rater (aside from RollieFingers probably) who watches more stuff than I do on this board then I can't wait to meet that person. Yes, I do realise I've stolen Joe Lanza's gimmick there too.

Jesus Christ lolol. That's the best one I've heard in a while. A more accurate star rater :pac::pac::pac::pac:

On the show itself, I actually loved the main event. Mox and Omega brought it. I can suspend my disbelief and engage my brain to think the explosions are damaging etc but the pay-off at the end was so unfortunate. I kinda cringed. Felt awful for Eddie having to sell that. If it was visually better, the story grips me but it took me out of it. Still, a great match.

Ladder match was fine but found some parts a bit sloppy. Have no problem with Scorpio Sky winning and a little personality injection as of late makes him more interesting. Penta's constant taunting and posing makes him look dumb. Archer is awesome. Platinum Max is great but there's loads left in the Acclaimed before he goes solo.

Death Triangle winning makes me hype for a PAC/Fenix vs Young Bucks match but I want The Bastard challenging for the World Title before the year is out... and winning it.

Loved Shida vs Ryo. They just battered each other. Some of it was messy but I felt it kinda added to the slugfest nature.

I'm a massive Team Taz fan but they've just come off as idiots in this feud. They should've have 80% of the offense leading into the PPV, considering their numbers, and then you can have Sting and Darby go over them for comeuppance if you want. For now FTW look like jobbers.

Overall I liked the show a lot but I feel there has been better.

Edit: Christian never has and never will get a reaction from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Omackeral wrote: »
    Jesus Christ lolol. That's the best one I've heard in a while. A more accurate star rater :pac::pac::pac::pac:

On the show itself, I actually loved the main event. Mox and Omega brought it. I can suspend my disbelief and engage my brain to think the explosions are damaging etc but the pay-off at the end was so unfortunate. I kinda cringed. Felt awful for Eddie having to sell that. If it was visually better, the story grips me but it took me out of it. Still, a great match.

Ladder match was fine but found some parts a bit sloppy. Have no problem with Scorpio Sky winning and a little personality injection as of late makes him more interesting. Penta's constant taunting and posing makes him look dumb. Archer is awesome. Platinum Max is great but there's loads left in the Acclaimed before he goes solo.

Death Triangle winning makes me hype for a PAC/Fenix vs Young Bucks match but I want The Bastard challenging for the World Title before the year is out... and winning it.

Loved Shida vs Ryo. They just battered each other. Some of it was messy but I felt it kinda added to the slugfest nature.

I'm a massive Team Taz fan but they've just come off as idiots in this feud. They should've have 80% of the offense leading into the PPV, considering their numbers, and then you can have Sting and Darby go over them for comeuppance if you want. For now FTW look like jobbers.

Overall I liked the show a lot but I feel there has been better.

Edit: Christian never has and never will get a reaction from me.

Do people not like my star ratings? I always imagined it as being kind of like the chimney at the Sistine Chapel when electing a new Pope. The people gather around and wait then I shout "3 and a half stars!" and everybody rejoices. But if it's not like that then I don't know what I'm even giving star ratings for.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Do people not like my star ratings? I always imagined it as being kind of like the chimney at the Sistine Chapel when electing a new Pope. The people gather around and wait then I shout "3 and a half stars!" and everybody rejoices. But if it's not like that then I don't know what I'm even giving star ratings for.

Come on LOB, we all know my star ratings are the bible buddy. :pac:

Yeh I don't get that, it looked terrible but one embarrassing moment isn't going to be enough to make me stop watching.

As for the worst thing I've ever seen in wrestling shout, I don't see it. From recent memory Alexa Bliss casting spells, Randy Orton setting a dummy on fire and the eyeball match were all way worse.

God I totally forgot about the eye ball gimmick.

What happened with the deathmatch was not planned, but the Mysterio eyeball gimmick went as planned....... I know which one is worse.

I really hated the eyeball bollox. Thats way worse than a botched explosion.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Come on LOB, we all know my star ratings are the bible buddy. :pac:

I do look forward to your reviews tbf so you've got at least one convert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Beakerjoe does write some great reviews across all show threads.

Hahaha he's shot up my pro wrestling hot list after last night.

FYI to everyone else tracking this prestigious list the current number 1 is Kaito Ishida (I don't count Kota Ibushi, he is not a human).

Whats Hook.... like 16? Jeez dude, go for someone closer to your own age :pac:

Beakerjoe does write some great reviews across all show threads.
    I do look forward to your reviews tbf so you've got at least one convert.

Oh shucks you guys.

Whats Hook.... like 16? Jeez dude, go for someone closer to your own age :pac:

Hahaha I'm really really hoping he's 18 or above or else my thirsting is gonna come across as super weird!

The annual LOB thirst list will soon be held in the same regard as the WON awards I'm sure!

Hahaha I'm really really hoping he's 18 or above or else my thirsting is gonna come across as super weird!

The annual LOB thirst list will soon be held in the same regard as the WON awards I'm sure!

Wiki says hes born in 1999 so we wont be contacting operation yewtree on you just yet.

Wiki says hes born in 1999 so we wont be contacting operation yewtree on you just yet.

The greatest love story of our time has only just begun!

I only really watch the AEW PPVs & have an idea of what is going on from Podcasts, usually they had some good stuff like Stadium Stampede, Young Bucks vs Omega/Page - however i tuned in to see an old Matt Hardy working average match with Page, Billy Gunn's kids running around, an ordinary ladder match, a cringe-worthy pre-recorded match, another WWE old boy debut & embarrassing main event. So It seems to me as if they've lost it.

The opener was decent to be fair.

I only really watch the AEW PPVs and usually they had some good stuff like Stadium Stampede, Young Bucks vs Omega/Page - however i tuned in to see an old Matt Hardy working average match with Page, Billy Gunn's kids running around, a run of the mill ladder match, a cringe-worthy pre-recorded match, another WWE old boy debut & embarrassing main event. So It seems to me as if they've lost it.

The opener was decent to be fair.

Ah dude, on a week by week basis they deliver more often than not. While I enjoyed the show more than others, even if I experienced a poor show Id still tune in this week.

I think I enjoyed the show more as my expectations were much lower going in than others. As RL above notes, he was pumped for the show while I wasnt mad on the line up going in.

https://twitter.com/DaxFTR/status/1369049137963020290?s=19

Dax kind of implying here that Gable's contract is up in around 2 months. I really like Gable (so hope AEW would be interested) but AEW need to start releasing some people before making more signings going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,275 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

https://twitter.com/DaxFTR/status/1369049137963020290?s=19

Dax kind of implying here that Gable's contract is up in around 2 months. I really like Gable (so hope AEW would be interested) but AEW need to start releasing some people before making more signings going forward.

They'll have plenty of room with the new youtube show and the new TNT show

Oh and yes Gable is a really talented wrestler and his tag team in NXT was superb but goes to the main roster and he got lost which is not surprising due to Vince...

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    They'll have plenty of room with the new youtube show and the new TNT show

Oh and yes Gable is a really talented wrestler and his tag team in NXT was superb but goes to the main roster and he got lost which is not surprising due to Vince...

He'd be great with team Taz.

Hope team Taz get away from Sting and Derby now though. Would love to see Starks as TNT champion.

Gable and JJ Garrett would be a great team.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Gable and JJ Garrett would be a great team.

Shout and a half. Gable has huge charisma I think but it’s been hampered. JJ looks to be cut from the same cloth and could be great craic. Both can absolutely go too.

I just watched Anthony Kahn's post show "scrum" - talking about how they are lucky Kenny Omega built a dud bomb so that's going to be the kayfabe excuse.

However - Mox/Kingston sold it like they were dead & the commentators screamed "Oh my god!". Always an excuse from Anthony it seems.

He also looked like he was on something during the scrum - sad to see.

I just watched Anthony Kahn's post show "scrum" - talking about how they are lucky Kenny Omega built a dud bomb so that's going to be the kayfabe excuse.

However - Mox/Kingston sold it like they were dead & the commentators screamed "Oh my god!". Always an excuse from Anthony it seems.

He also looked like he was on something during the scrum - sad to see.

Not defending it but you do realise if this kinda thing happened in WWE (and when similar mistakes have happened) they would gloss over it and pretend that it all went exactly to plan. Basically they'd just insult your intelligence and pretend that the thing you saw malfunction with your own eyes actually worked and that you're the crazy one for thinking otherwise. Give me TK's storyline pivot anyday of the week over that.

Also, what? That last assertion is crazy and entirely unfounded.

Not defending it but you do realise if this kinda thing happened in WWE (and when similar mistakes have happened) they would gloss over it and pretend that it all went exactly to plan. Basically they'd just insult your intelligence and pretend that the thing you saw malfunction with your own eyes actually worked and that you're the crazy one for thinking otherwise. Give me TK's storyline pivot anyday of the week over that.

Also, what? That last assertion is crazy and entirely unfounded.

Just because WWE does it doesnt mean everyone should. WWE get rightly lambasted for it and the same should go for every company.

But I agree, they are in a tough spot no matter what way they go.

You could explain Kingstons selling perhaps by saying he was concussed following the brawl with Kenny and co, but it be a stretch itself.

The best way would be to have get an official to dart out ASAP and give word to Eddie not to sell it, but they were flatfooted, probably still cursing the lack of big explosion.

But they can get by this, I wont be bothered by it come the end of Wednesdays show.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,169 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

That makes me feel a bit better about getting downvoted in that sub all the time. :( :pac:

I wouldn't be too concerned about that. That place is the biggest hive mind on the internet.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Shout and a half. Gable has huge charisma I think but it’s been hampered. JJ looks to be cut from the same cloth and could be great craic. Both can absolutely go too.

I like both a lot, JJ has some infectious energy and moves like a wild animal. Gable reminded me a lot of Kurt Angle. Attire and wrestling ability, yeah there are lots of similarities, but Gable also has great timing acting wise and is very believable acting wise. Angle was fantastic at doing anything well character wise and I believe Gable has this quality also.

J. Marston wrote: »
    I wouldn't be too concerned about that. That place is the biggest hive mind on the internet.

Reddit and Twitter is the worst. Never been to Reddit, couldnt hack Twitter.

It was the hords of super fans that due my nut in. Its ok to have a favourite or favourites, no issue there. But god forbid you say something bad about a performer they idolize. The blind worshipping is the worst.

• Advertisement

Basically they'd just insult your intelligence and pretend that the thing you saw malfunction with your own eyes actually worked and that you're the crazy one for thinking otherwise. Give me TK's storyline pivot anyday of the week over that.

Anthony Kahn is saying nothing happened afterwards which makes Kingston look stupid for selling the bomb.

He has form for this as he also publicly blamed that perfect 10 guy when he opened up Cody Rhodes hardway with a gimmicked chair in the media "scrum".

Also interesting he didn't talk about that chair incident in kayfabe in interviews after the way he did this bomb.

Advertisement