Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,596 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The War Council going head to head with the NXT title match.

St Patrick's Day Slam next week headlined by Thunder Rosa vs Britt Barker.

Great switch.

Tully with FTR doing a double Brainbuster :)

Do we have our new Horsemen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,187 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Not sure about MJF being a faction guy, he just comes across as an awful prick who can't be trusted which is great of course, but not when you're trying build a new faction with him as leader.

Even Flair in his heyday you could believe would not sell out his friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Tbh, the Moxley/Kingston promo, and then the Omega one and Kingston coming out is about as good as AEW can do with the situation. I really enjoyed it, if that was many others, it'd have completely gone to crap, but they're actually doing a good job saving it imo.

Not so pleased Christian is heading straight into world title picture, I'd have preferred he went mid card first and maybe help elevate guys there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

If they give Moose a legit win over Omega that will be the most impressive thing I've seen in this talent sharing to date.

I'd love to see Moose win the title back from Omega but you can guarantee it won't be clean.

I presume they'll do it with Omega dropping all the titles bar the AEW in quick succession (to build up for the big AEW title match).. then you can have him lose kinda clean but at least it doesn't have to be a massive screwjob that helps nobody.

I think TNA did something similar with Kurt where he held all the gold and then lost all the other belts over the course of one night

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭savemejebus

sigh....shawn 'yawn' spears, could they not have found anyone else. Apart from that and Jericho looking so out of shape it was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Just great stuff. You had 2 great matches, lots of angles to set up the next few weeks/months, the Scorpio Sky heel turn and then that banger of a show closing angle.

The makeup of the MJF faction is really great. MJF as the star, Wardlow the muscle (and potential future breakout star), Spears as the undercard singles guy, FTR the top level tag team and Tully Blanchard as a manager. Absolutely love it and the angle to end the show had the brutality and emotion you'd want from such a long story reaching its peak.

I liked how they dealt with the dud bomb. Again, the worst thing they could've done is pretend it was a devastating explosion. They addressed it, they put the heat on Omega and from it we got two of my favourite lines I've heard in wrestling in ages "Impact paid for that bomb" and "69 me Don" just tremendous

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭NITRO95

A fantastic episode of wrestling television

A hot opener that wasn't quite as good as Fenix vs Nick last year

A PHENOMENAL promo by King and Mox

Cody Penta match will be great and I love that they are starting to really give Penta some singles chances. He's a top talent and someone totally unique. I hope he "breaks" Cody's arm next week and they can have a proper match at DON

Sting Archer feud set up - "see ya Stinger man"

A really good womens tag match which perfectly set up next week's main event

Omega Good Brothers/ Mox King Christian segment was very well done. Its a case of now or never for a Christian title match so I totally get doing it now and I don't doubt they could have a blow away match when the time comes

What more is there to be said about Darby. Another awesome match. Loved the finish and the heel turn by Scorpio.

The Inner Circle segment was the best example of swerve booking in years. MJF destroying the IC from within while he had his own group ready to go all along is just brilliant booking. The IC didnt look like idiots for buying into MJFs sh1t but that beatdown was class. Gimme Wardlow being managed by Tully. Don't get the hate for Spears, a perfectly fine wrestler who is there to eat the pins

I would go so far as to say that if you didn't enjoy that episode of Dynamite then you should probably just accept that AEW isn't for you.

NITRO95 wrote: »
    A fantastic episode of wrestling television

A hot opener that wasn't quite as good as Fenix vs Nick last year

A PHENOMENAL promo by King and Mox

Cody Penta match will be great and I love that they are starting to really give Penta some singles chances. He's a top talent and someone totally unique. I hope he "breaks" Cody's arm next week and they can have a proper match at DON

Sting Archer feud set up - "see ya Stinger man"

A really good womens tag match which perfectly set up next week's main event

Omega Good Brothers/ Mox King Christian segment was very well done. Its a case of now or never for a Christian title match so I totally get doing it now and I don't doubt they could have a blow away match when the time comes

What more is there to be said about Darby. Another awesome match. Loved the finish and the heel turn by Scorpio.

The Inner Circle segment was the best example of swerve booking in years. MJF destroying the IC from within while he had his own group ready to go all along is just brilliant booking. The IC didnt look like idiots for buying into MJFs sh1t but that beatdown was class. Gimme Wardlow being managed by Tully. Don't get the hate for Spears, a perfectly fine wrestler who is there to eat the pins

I would go so far as to say that if you didn't enjoy that episode of Dynamite then you should probably just accept that AEW isn't for you.

I've only just finished the episode but that's the best take I've seen anywhere on this episode.

• Advertisement

Ya, Spears whilst not great is basically there to take the pins (maybe FTR will too). MJF and Wardlow will be protected.

titan18 wrote: »
    Ya, Spears whilst not great is basically there to take the pins (maybe FTR will too). MJF and Wardlow will be protected.

Anytime you're faction building you need a pin eater. No company on Earth builds factions better than Dragon Gate, every faction has a designated pin eater. Some are better than others, some fit the aesthetics of the group better than others. The Spears thing makes total sense, how very weird it would be if Tully out of nowhere decided not to manage Spears anymore or was managing both a faction and a lone singles guy.

One more quick take that I forgot to include.

Penta in that suit with his charisma and the mask and pain, and with the very confident translator, came across like a total star. Presentation is huge in wrestling and this was on point.

Penta in that suit with his charisma and the mask and pain, and with the very confident translator, came across like a total star. Presentation is huge in wrestling and this was on point.

I'd love if AEW got Zelina Vega and paired her with Pentagon and Fenix. It would be a massive help for them imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Dynamite started very strong. A wonderful TV match between two of AEWs best. Fenix and Jackson are just so good, Jacksons top rope elbow is fantastic, loved Fenix’s tightrope running kick and the tombstone finish, they told a good story. Both men make it look so effortless. After Sundays ending, this was a right opener to remind fans of what AEW do best.

Mox and Kingston, - It was as good as an explanation as possible. Kingston is such a great talker though, he can make it believable. I like both Mox and Kingston, but to have them so pally pally so quickly after their war a few months back….. its too quick for me. I’d prefer this kind of segment maybe 4 weeks from now, have them have some form of hesitation to each other, not the “all is forgotten immediately”. The promo was a little too jokey for me. I wanted more passion, more rawness…. It was too casual for my liking.

Cody v - Gargis – I’ve no problem with the squash, but does Cody need a squash? Did he need this? Mox could have done with a faster squash a few weeks ago….. so could have Pac (both in matches with Nemeth). Could they not just have had the interview promo? Pointless squash. That aside, I’m very happy that Penta is getting highlighted. Loved his Lucha Underground run and I want him to have a similar run here. I’m not 100 percent on board with his Lucha-Miz look, but I am happy he is being pushed. I approve of Cody v Penta.

Laughed at the Page DO lawnmower bit.

Ethan Page v Lee Johnson – No problems with the match, Lee Johnson looks more like a star each week. I don’t think they are using Page to his strengths initially. I like Page as a wrestler but his strength is his mouth, let him cut a long promo or get him an angle. Give me a reason to care about him wrestling. Also he needs to work on his foot stomps. The QT angle is fine, moving along nicely.

Kenny and Callis are just great. The did a fine job mopping up Sundays ending. How Callis never had a real chance in WWE is beyond me, he is just so good. I lol’d at “69 me Don”. Overall the segment was a good recovery as can be hoped for. I don’t know how I feel about Christian being injected into the Mox/Omega story. Kingston v Omega is where I had hoped it had went, but he and Mox seem destined for the Good Bros. Christian v Omega is a fine transitional feud for Kenny.

Makes sense for Butcher and Blade to switch to Matt Hardy since Eddie turned.

Sky v Allin – A cracking match and I liked the post match attack. Sky needs more of this to get him over as a heel.

Womens trios – A decent 6 person tag. All involved worked hard.

Stings interview – Lance v Sting appeals to me. Jake Roberts just looks like a mob veteran in that tracksuit.

The Inner Circle segment was excellent. When Sammy entered I had numerous ways it could play out. But I never saw the ending coming. This is how an angle like this should play out. Twists, turns and unpredictability. MJF sitting on the top rope pulling the strings was a great visual. Excellent ending angle. I cant say enough about how much I loved it.

I initially thought Sammy would turn on Jericho, or Sammy and Jericho would go it alone against MJF and the IC, but I never saw the twist at the end coming. Fantastic. MJF is a star and this only solidifies his rise. A great ending to a great show. Best thing is, while this was a banger of a show, they can improve...... I perfect reply to those ripping them after sunday's ending.

The Inner Circle segment was the best example of swerve booking in years.

I dont like this take.....I love it!.

It wasnt swerves for the sake of swerves. It was logical, sensible booking that provide multiple avenues to how it could end. It kept me guessing and most of all I was truly surprised at the ending.

It was perfect. Literally no complaints. Its how wrestling angles should be done. Slow, pre-planned, logical booking that keep you guessing.

Rey Miz-terio (I joke)

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Rey Miz-terio (I joke)

I do like the idea of getting Zelina with him if they aren't gonna run with the translator guy.

Alex (the Spanish commentator who translated for Penta) was getting a lot of time on BTE last time I watched and always came across confident. Wouldn't shock me if he just morphed into being Pentas mouthpiece. Can already see the "Penta says" tshirts being printed

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭daithi1989

For someone who doesnt follow AEW as much as others, have followed the last 2 wks (pretty much since Big Show signed) and for me, last night happenings is enough to get over what happened Sunday. They faced up and explained it all and moved all stories on.

I’ll def be tuning in again for next few weeks anyway

• Advertisement

Im not sure how I feel yet with this new direction for Pentas character yet, but its fresh.... it gets a top wrestler a much needed new direction and I do look forward to how it develops.

Hes fine with Alex, I think he would work better as a mouth puece than Vega. Not that there's anything wrong with Vega, bit I liked how Alex fitted the segment.

daithi1989 wrote: »
    For someone who doesnt follow AEW as much as others, have followed the last 2 wks (pretty much since Big Show signed) and for me, last night happenings is enough to get over what happened Sunday. They faced up and explained it all and moved all stories on.

I’ll def be tuning in again for next few weeks anyway

Its blown over already. That closing angle helped create a new hot focus.

Delighted you enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Really well done angle at the end. Another Spring Stampede on the horizon at Double or Nothing, with Inner circle as the faces?

They have really used Jericho quite well

Sirsok wrote: »
    Really well done angle at the end. Another Spring Stampede on the horizon at Double or Nothing, with Inner circle as the faces?

They have really used Jericho quite well

They have certainly got the most out of him. He is well over the hill in terms of in-ring performer, but they guy is better than ever as a character. I obviously dont know who was behind this angle, but I wager he was heavily involved in the planning. Its been a great angle to watch unfold week in week out, granted not each week was top notch but everything had a purpose and its got MJF (and others - Sammy, Proud and Powerful, Wardlow only look better) over huge.

Star making angle.

I dont think we'll get a full on retirement but I expect by the end of the summer Jericho will be a full time commentator and very part time wrestler. Think early 00s Jerry Lawler type role

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Loved Omega's "69 Me". At least they're able to laugh at it I guess.

Also loved the Inner Circle segment and it gave us something different. Since everyone was expecting MJF to turn on Jericho I thought it was quite fitting how they swerved us by having him join another faction instead.

I dont think we'll get a full on retirement but I expect by the end of the summer Jericho will be a full time commentator and very part time wrestler. Think early 00s Jerry Lawler type role

I hope so. Hes a fantastic wrestling mind, and while he may not be everyone's cup of tea on commentary, I really enjoy him as a heel commentator.

Though his days as a heel are probably gone for now.

Spears is exactly what his opening angle in AEW was about he is a very good hand and you need wrestlers like him at every level of wrestling.

That angle made Wardlow look like a complete Monster. It was a star making angle for both sets of factions.

Simple logical storytelling done well.

Compare that to the Retribution angle that make that faction look like Jabronis.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,169 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Get Shida away from Maki Itoh.

Those mic hits, for God sake.

• Advertisement

Spears is exactly what his opening angle in AEW was about he is a very good hand and you need wrestlers like him at every level of wrestling.

That angle made Wardlow look like a complete Monster. It was a star making angle for both sets of factions.

Simple logical storytelling done well.

Compare that to the Retribution angle that make that faction look like Jabronis.

Well one angle was planned out well in advance.

the other was thrown together the Sunday before Raw without any direction, purpose, any forward-planning and without any wrestlers in the faction.

Not hard to see why 1 failed and 1 succeeded.

Advertisement