Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Just gonna shamelessly steal this.

Dave Meltzer says:

The PPV numbers look to be the strongest not only in AEW history, but the strongest for any non-WWE show in the U.S. since 1999, grossing in excess of $6 million and likely will end up closer to $7 million. Of that, AEW will take in a percentage likely around 50 percent because there is a split with distribution partners.

Looks like it's an overwhelming success. Outside of signing their contact renewal with TNT, this is surely their biggest business success yet. What got them to that number? Who knows, but it's fantastic news.

Looks like it's an overwhelming success. Outside of signing their contact renewal with TNT, this is surely their biggest business success yet. What got them to that number? Who knows, but it's fantastic news.

The overselling of the big signing was definitely a big factor. I even had friends messaging me asking who the big signing was going to be and they haven't watched wrestling in around 10 years.

I wouldn't rule out Sting helping with the buy rate as well. He still has a good following and his Dynamite segments usually do good numbers for them. I wonder though if you were just a casual fan but a big Sting fan and bought the PPV, would you be disappointed it was a cinematic match and not a proper live match?

The overselling of the big signing was definitely a big factor. I even had friends messaging me asking who the big signing was going to be and they haven't watched wrestling in around 10 years.

I wouldn't rule out Sting helping with the buy rate as well. He still has a good following and his Dynamite segments usually do good numbers for them. I wonder though if you were just a casual fan but a big Sting fan and bought the PPV, would you be disappointed it was a cinematic match and not a proper live match?

With the Sting stuff I'd be pretty happy. To me it came across a lot more like say The Parking Lot Brawl between Best Friends/Proud & Powerful than Bray Wyatt's swamp magic time. It was a match, nothing they did in the match broke the rules of the universe (basically), and it was wrestled like a match just shot differently and with a low hum of music in the background. To me, they hit the right spot with it.

On the ppv buys, the Sunday I think probably helped. It's the traditional pro wrestling ppv night. I think all of those factors, and the exploding barbed wire deathmatch with Omega/Mox along with just a sense that the company has momentum probably contributed to it all in all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Kingston - Omega would be great, but I would really like to see Eddie win his next big match.

Ya, I can't see Kingston winning that. Moxley has his child coming in the next few months too so I'd imagine he'll be taking time off.

To me, the person to beat Omega should be Hangman Page. It's the best person to take that title, probably at All Out.

Then MJF to be the person to beat Page.

I like Kingston but I don't think he's in that title winning bracket ATM, even though it would be good. I'd imagine it's Christian at Double or Nothing and he loses.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,596 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Omega isn't dropping the title for at least another year maybe longer and that's a good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Omega isn't dropping the title for at least another year maybe longer and that's a good thing.

Hangman Page to hopefully be the one who dethrones Kenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭NITRO95

I wouldn't be so sure. I think Page at All Out or at the very latest Full Gear is likely to beat him so he can go work a Wrestle Kingdom main event with Kota in January 2022 without the political nightmare of the AEW potentially losing on a NJ card

• Registered Users Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I could definitely see him losing at All Out or Full Gear to Hangman Page. He'll have been a champion 9-10 months by All Out, which will be August/September so would seem the earliest he'd lose out.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Dave Meltzer says:

The PPV numbers look to be the strongest not only in AEW history, but the strongest for any non-WWE show in the U.S. since 1999, grossing in excess of $6 million and likely will end up closer to $7 million. Of that, AEW will take in a percentage likely around 50 percent because there is a split with distribution partners.

THIS IS WHAT PRO WRESTLING NEEDS.

whether you like AEW or not, their presence only improves pro wrestling as a whole. Crackin news.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,271 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Dave Meltzer says:

Delighted for TK, he deserves so much credit for the success of AEW.

• Advertisement

Page is my pick to dethrone him fully. Hopefully they can keep him strong until then.

I wouldnt be against Kingston or Pac trading the belt with Kenny with the right setting. Kingston for example could win the title but lose it back on the rematch.

Pac Kingston and Cody would all be decent challengers before Page. But Page is the guy for me. I just hope they don't cool him off too much. Id imagine the plan at one stage was to have him and Harper feud. That would have been awesome.

Headshot wrote: »
    Delighted for TK, he deserves so much credit for the success of AEW.

He does, but so many people are all pulling in the same direction. Its great to see.

Cody and The Bucks, but also the likes of Mox and Jericho who had cushy numbers in WWE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Dave Meltzer says:

Another big win for Killer Khan!

Another big win for Killer Khan!

Ye that's a particularly sweet one I suspect. But I think what it really speaks to is their ability to convert viewers into consumers at a very high ratio.

Ye that's a particularly sweet one I suspect. But I think what it really speaks to is their ability to convert viewers into consumers at a very high ratio.

Are the numbers based off of domestic or international buys?

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Are the numbers based off of domestic or international buys?

At the moment I believe they're estimates. With the way PPV buys are broken down, you never get the real number til like weeks, sometimes months after the show has actually happened. But you can make a good estimate at it and the initial numbers should have fed through already to the AEW guys which is where the $6 million, closer to $7 million numbers come from. They smashed their previous show (the November show Full Gear) domestic streaming buyrate by 50% on BR Live. On the Fite TV app they're estimating an increase of 20-40% on the Full Gear show too.

Bittersweet news for me because I was disappointed with the PPV after paying for it :pac: but no in all seriousness I'm happy to see they got a good buy rate.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

It's frustrating to see the TV numbers drop back to 700-850k purgatory straight after though. Up until the dud PPV ending I had hope they'd be able to push on now after the great numbers last week.

It's frustrating to see the TV numbers drop back to 700-850k purgatory straight after though. Up until the dud PPV ending I had hope they'd be able to push on now after the great numbers last week.

Lack of Shaq amy have sent some people away (As in some non fan, casual fans tuned in to see him). Shame they didnt retain them alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭NITRO95

South Park Pandemic special did a big number and probably ate into their target audience

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,271 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I read Anthony Bowens had surgery on his knee and expected to miss 6-8 weeks

A bit of a kick for the Acclaimed (who I really like) who just barely started as a tag team

https://twitter.com/Bowens_Official/status/1370501820397813766

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Yea have to agree with everyone it was a great episode of dynamite with some great feuds laid out, penta vs cody, Darby vs scorpio, sting vs archer, bucks vs pac/fenix, women's division having a strong showing but the ending was perfectly done imo.

At first I was kinda annoyed that Sammy was back so soon, then when he showed the video I noticed the rest of the ic were on the opposite side to jericho and I was like oh they're finally turning on jericho. Then when they walked towards jericho you had mjf stay behind them which had me thinking its now 50/50 will they turn on jericho or mjf which I loved. Then you had the next turn where they went for mjf and when he said he had his own inner circle I genuinely couldn't think who it could be which again maybe it more surprising it was ftr and spears.
    I loved the roller-coaster ride of emotions especially when it was never obvious on what was happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Penta looks like a boss in the suit, hope he goes on a wrecking spree now and works his way to a title shot eventually.

Penta looks like a boss in the suit, hope he goes on a wrecking spree now and works his way to a title shot eventually.

I thought the lad with him (pre show host/Spanish announcer who's name escapes me right now) did really good as well. Came across real heelish when translating for Penta. Could be a good pair going forward even if it's only for Penta's interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,187 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

It's striking how charismatic Penta is without understanding a word of what he said.

Remember at the start of the Inner circle segment on Wednesday Jericho said that maybe they could do with a new member? Wonder could that lead to someone new joining?

I'm delighted Santana and Ortiz should get a good programme with FTR

Remember at the start of the Inner circle segment on Wednesday Jericho said that maybe they could do with a new member? Wonder could that lead to someone new joining?

I'm delighted Santana and Ortiz should get a good programme with FTR

Santana and Ortiz have great babyface potential. This turn could be the making of them in AEW

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

beakerjoe wrote: »
      Santana and Ortiz have great babyface potential. This turn could be the making of them in AEW

Ortiz has those goofy comedy chops while still remaining badass. Santana has a real genuineness to him that can't be thought. His promo with JR when he had his mini feud with Jon Moxley showed us that. I love P 'n' P, want them on top of the tag mountain by year's end.

1. Posts: 0 [Deleted User]

Lovely, Dynamite will be on at midnight the next two weeks because of the time change in the US.

2. Advertisement
    3. Registered Users Posts: 54,271 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Long term story telling at it's finest

https://twitter.com/OdoubleZZ/status/1370410180744216578

Advertisement