Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,169 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I read someone say that Cody wrestles like a 10 year old and it hit the nail on the head for me. Just move after move after move with the only mindset being "Okay, what would be cool now..."

imk14pzhyon61.gif

What is that? Canadian Destroyer has lost all meaning anyway but it was effectively the same level as a forearm there because Cody has to "get his shít in".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,000 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

That piledriver should have been the finish, or at least a very late kickout. Instead, it's essentially no sold, so another, worse spot can be done right after.

Terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,000 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

J. Marston wrote: »
    ydp6zsww1pn61.png

Dr2xXOHXgAIlxYN.jpg

Could be a Becky-esque star-making moment for her.

Edit: Hi-res pic...

flrocda93pn61.jpg

Look at the blood dripping! Nuts.

The older I've gotten, the less I like blading.

Obviously, it's a cool visual, but I hate seeing veterans with mangled foreheads because of all the scar tissue due to blading.

If something happens hardway, like Becky's accidental nose break, it happens, but I don't want to see it intentionally done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Blading, when done right, can be super effective.

If you overdo it, then OK you run into problems because it essentially means nothing.

Two examples of blood in the last week. Ospreay and Britt. One accidental, one intentional. Nobody can tell me those two matches were not more memorable because of the blood, nobody can tell me the visual impact of both matches were not far more visceral because of the blood. Like anything in wrestling (and this ties into the Canadian Destroyer spot), if done too often it becomes ineffective, you just shrug your shoulders. By and large I think AEW have done a good job of keeping blading special and the moments they've done it are more memorable as a result. Imagine the Steve Austin at Mania 13 spot in the Sharpshooter without blood?

On the above thing, you just have to accept that the Canadian Destroyer spot is at best a near fall spot, but usually just a transitional spot. In the same way that 25 years ago who'd have thought the Powerbomb would not be an automatic finish? Wrestling moves on, you just move with it.

By the way, after my rewatch I'm changing the rating for the Britt/Rosa match. Bump that match up to ****3/4.

Obviously, it's a cool visual, but I hate seeing veterans with mangled foreheads because of all the scar tissue due to blading.

If something happens hardway, like Becky's accidental nose break, it happens, but I don't want to see it intentionally done.

From the looks of it, she bladed around the hairline so it should be less noticeable, maybe she went too deep because it was a lot of blood. Or may have just taken an aspirin.

But fair point about mangled foreheads. Dusty's and D-Von's heads looked/look awful. New Jack's is horrific.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,595 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Rebel/not Reba also deserves a lot of credit for what she adds to Britt whole wrestling persona.

Surely WWE will make Thunder Rosa a big offer when her NWA contract is up? She's supposedly contracted until January 2022. Hope she signs with AEW though.

Also I wonder how many years people signed on for when the company started in 2019? If they're 3 year contracts there could be a fair few AEW contracts up next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,268 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Surely WWE will make Thunder Rosa a big offer when her NWA contract is up? She's supposedly contracted until January 2022. Hope she signs with AEW though.

She wont go there because of WWE restriction on third parties like Twitch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

She seems to be very much enjoying AEW judging by her social media. I didn't know much about her before I saw her on Dynamite but I'm certainly a fan now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,899 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

J. Marston wrote: »
    I read someone say that Cody wrestles like a 10 year old and it hit the nail on the head for me. Just move after move after move with the only mindset being "Okay, what would be cool now..."

imk14pzhyon61.gif

What is that? Canadian Destroyer has lost all meaning anyway but it was effectively the same level as a forearm there because Cody has to "get his shít in".

I’ve no issue with doing moves like that but they need to be registered by the crowd(when they are there) and sold by the person taking the move. Otherwise it’s not wrestling IMO it’s just a gymnastics routine. When everything is the same then nothing is special. And Cody damn sure knows how to do it right in a modern context.

And to keep it in the Rhodes family. His dad used to say “don’t do **** you don’t know how to do,” which is a great way to think.

A mean a DDT is a transition spot now ffs when it used to be “good luck and safe home” when it was done by jake Roberts for example.

I feel blood has it’s place but not in every match. It’s why in modern wrestling I can’t stand every match being the same length. Not every match needs to go twenty minutes and through an ad break. What’s wrong with a seven minute hot opening match ?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Meant to say after Elevation about the Canadian Destroyer, someone did it and Tony called it and Paul Wight acted like it was his first time experiencing it, repeating the name and saying "I like it".

It seems some moves are normal moves for some people but finishers for others. Like if Shawn Michaels hits Sweet Chin Music, it's usually over, while Bucks do 20 double superkicks and the match keeps going.

When Gallows was knocked from the ring at the end of the match, it seemed he couldn't get back in if he wanted to. Seemed wrecked.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Meant to say after Elevation about the Canadian Destroyer, someone did it and Tony called it and Paul Wight acted like it was his first time experiencing it, repeating the name and saying "I like it".

It seems some moves are normal moves for some people but finishers for others. Like if Shawn Michaels hits Sweet Chin Music, it's usually over, while Bucks do 20 double superkicks and the match keeps going.

When Gallows was knocked from the ring at the end of the match, it seemed he couldn't get back in if he wanted to. Seemed wrecked.

On a related note JR not recognising Christian's theme bugged me a bit, it's not even a brand new theme for fecks sake

On a related note JR not recognising Christian's theme bugged me a bit, it's not even a brand new theme for fecks sake

I hate that in general from announcers. A persons theme music plays and they act dumb and the “it can’t be person X” line makes them look like idiots.

Is it me or is JR doing the old gorilla monsoon attitude of not trying to explain silly stuff ? When a ref or wrestler clearly messed up on old WWF TV he’d never try and make up a stupid reason for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Who was it that covered for Sydal slipping off the turnbuckle on his debut by saying how the turnbuckles get wet as the show progresses, or something along those lines?

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Who was it that covered for Sydal slipping off the turnbuckle on his debut by saying how the turnbuckles get wet as the show progresses, or something along those lines?

I think it was Excalibur but we found out later it was done on purpose by Nakazawa

• Registered Users Posts: 60,595 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The turnbuckle was covered in Nakazawa's Baby Oil and since he covered it in baby oil earlier in the show during his match it was a good kayfabe call to cover the slip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

On another note Christian Cage really is great on the mike and showed it last night yet again!

Can't wait to see Christian 'Out Work Everyone'!

https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1372351798384672770?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 TheLocalMan

Headshot wrote: »

Mick being a creepy werido about women, what's new?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Britt/Rosa was excellent, one of the best main events of the year for sure. Thought MJF's promo was fantastic too. And if you're looking for a really good sub ten minute match lool no further than Angelico/Fenix.

Was happy to see no Ethan Page this week but they're killing me with Christian I have to say, he's a change the channel wrestler for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭savemejebus

They were doing so so so amazingly well until the part of the backstage bit where Britt goes 'maybe, maybe Meltzer will like it'. That's just sad.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

What in the wrestlecrap is this?

https://fb.watch/4kbbRfrJQI/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Headshot wrote: »

How you come away from watching that with the take "uh Meltzer, nah sad." is baffling.

Man the enthusiasm that TK has for the product he puts out is great and if you're a pro wrestler how can it not make you feel 10 feet tall when he's coming out post match and telling you those things. The locker room atmosphere comes across so strong in that short clip too. Thunder Rosa's promo full of emotion and passion. And Britt wants to be taken seriously, she wants respect as an in ring performer, she got the main event spot on Dynamite and she delivered. For a lot of young wrestlers, you'll find that even having one of their matches ranked by Meltzer is considered an accomplishment, and then to have a 5 star Meltzer match is obviously something performers value highly in the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭savemejebus

I'd hope whoever edits Dark got an earful for letting that go out in the original upload.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

I'd hope whoever edits Dark got an earful for letting that go out in the original upload.

I watch and enjoy Dark most weeks but I'm pretty sure it's edited by an intern, the commentary team even joke about it.

Thought the Cody - Penta match was pretty bad. Just rushing through big moves with no pauses to let the spots register. Then Penta snaps Cody's arm, Cody instantly rolls him up, Penta then beats Cody and walks away without any selling whatsoever of all the big offence he took during the match. Just blegh.

Cody is decent in the ring, good on the mic, presents himself like a star, fans seem to love him, but I just find him so boring. Kingston, Hangman, MJF, Allin, Callis etc. all have such a good grasp on their characters and always act in a way that makes sense for the persona they have established. Whereas imo Cody and the Bucks act completely arbitrarily and have no defined character.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I watch and enjoy Dark most weeks but I'm pretty sure it's edited by an intern, the commentary team even joke about it.

Thought the Cody - Penta match was pretty bad. Just rushing through big with no pauses to let the spots register. Then Penta snaps Cody's arm, Cody instantly rolls him up, Penta then beats Cody and walks away without any selling whatsoever of all the big offence he took during the match. Just blegh.

Cody is decent in the ring, good on the mic, presents himself like a star, fans seem to love him, but I just find him so boring. Kingston, Hangman, MJF, Allin, Calli's etc. all have such a good grasp on their characters and always act in a way that makes sense for the persona they have established. Whereas imo Cody and the Bucks act completely arbitrarily and have no defined character.

I like Cody and aim a big Penta fan, but the match just wasnt good. Yeah, its probably the first match in a series but it wasnt enjoyable for me, particularly the finish.

Both men are capable of better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

It seems somebody realised that it was a misstep to have Don Callis get his comeuppance from the Bucks off-screen only a month or two into his run. I assume he will continue to talk **** and not get hit for the duration of this run, before getting his just desserts in spectacular fashion. I hadn't been watching wrestling for a while until last August so had no idea who he was before, imo he's absolutely nailing the role of sleazy conniving scumbag.

• Advertisement

In what other medium is such reverence paid to a reviewer? An out of touch one at that. It's grim.

Advertisement