Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

J. Marston wrote: »
    In what other medium is such reverence paid to a reviewer? An out of touch one at that. It's grim.

Entire big budget films are literally created for and then afterwards marketed based on their performance at The Oscars.

And breaking it down further, someone like Roger Ebert's opinion would've been held in very high regard by those in the industry. And to a lesser extent films sell themselves base don the positive reviews of high profile critics/publications.

And as a reviewer I've no evidence at all as to how he's out of touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,169 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Yeah, but Scorsese isn't thinking "Jeez, I hope Roger likes this" as soon he's wrapped on a film.

Likewise, some overrated indie band aren't naming their album "Pitchfork".

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

J. Marston wrote: »
    Yeah, but Scorsese isn't thinking "Jeez, I hope Roger likes this" as soon he's wrapped on a film.

Likewise, some overrated indie band aren't naming their album "Pitchfork".

Until Wrestling has an independent organisation such as the academy, Meltzer, whether you like him or not, is the best pro wrestling has. The majority of pro wrestlers respect his opinion when it comes to critiquing their matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,268 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

So happy for Thunder Rosa and Britt

https://twitter.com/BustedOpenRadio/status/1372635293963149317

The plaudits they are getting across the wrestling world is completely deserved

I loved the match and it's getting universal praise. Should we change our opinion though if Dave doesn't like it? That's what annoys me with people who take Meltzer's match ratings too seriously. Who cares what rating he gives it. Enjoy what you enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭savemejebus

I loved the match and it's getting universal praise. Should we change our opinion though if Dave doesn't like it? That's what annoys me with people who take Meltzer's match ratings too seriously. Who cares what rating he gives it. Enjoy what you enjoy.

+1 and don't feel bad if others disagree with you. Different flavours for everyone.

In any case his ratings have become meaningless anyways, objectivity went out the window when wrestlers started tailoring matches to garner bigger star ratings. I'd trust most peoples opinion on here (with certain exceptions) on what to watch as much as, if not more than Meltzers....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Enjoy what you enjoy.

Completely agree with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

No, that would be insanity. Though I'd always listen to his stuff and read his perspectives on why he thought something did or didn't work because he's earned that respect a million times over.

Anyway, he rated the Britt/Thunder Rosa match ****3/4 which is exactly what I rated it yesterday so no need to change any opinions on that.

We are. No one is changing their opinion.... im always curious to see what he gives ut though.

I prefer Joe Lanzas score personally.

I give it 4 stars but not a bit over it. 4 and 3 quarters is too high IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Big Dave's star ratings are a handy guide for me if I'm picking and choosing matches to watch on a particular card or whatever.

Can people take them too seriously? Yes. Can people tie themselves into knots and hate someone's work just because they don't like him or the type of wrestling fan he mostly appeals to? Yes. It's always funny to see people raging just because one man gave a star rating to a pro-wrestling match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,187 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

On another note Christian Cage really is great on the mike and showed it last night yet again!

Can't wait to see Christian 'Out Work Everyone'!

https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1372351798384672770?s=19

I'm hoping that the out work everyone gimmick is a swerve and we're going to see Christian heel it up taking short cuts, because taking it in earnest IT'S ABSOLUTELY ****ING AWFUL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

I'm hoping that the out work everyone gimmick is a swerve and we're going to see Christian heel it up taking short cuts, because taking it in earnest IT'S ABSOLUTELY ****ING AWFUL.

Completely disagree but each to their own!

Am hugely excited to see where Christian goes with this!

Id love that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Angelico not getting his entrance for the second time in a month renders this whole episode as minus 5 stars.

In seriousness, if you're presenting a competitive match, as this was (i.e. Rey Fenix wasn't just in ''in action'') ,then have full entrances for both fighters. Make me care about them both.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

In any case his ratings have become meaningless anyways, objectivity went out the window when wrestlers started tailoring matches to garner bigger star ratings.

The 6 and 7 stars made it all redundant. If a match is perfect, it should be 5 and no more.

Omackeral wrote: »
    The 6 and 7 stars made it all redundant. If a match is perfect, it should be 5 and no more.

Exactly. And to say Dave is not impartial would be fair. He has his sources and his agendas too. He keeps the likes of Jericho Flair, The Bucks sweet.

You want a fair, IMO honest, critic. Listen to Joe Lanza of VoW. Whether you agree or not, hes fair and transparent.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I've been watching this week's Dark today and I have to say that the commentary team of Excalibur, Tazz and -1 of the Dark Order is always comedy gold. Yea, I know it's hokey but you have to love the way they're looking out for the kid and Excalibur and Tazz are a great pairing anyway especially when they just try and make each other break. I dunno if they're feeding -1 his lines, but he's a really funny kid too.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,595 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I see his mother had to make post on Instagram because of the online abuse she and AEW have been getting saying they are exploiting -1 having him on Dark and TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,268 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I see his mother had to make post on Instagram because of the online abuse she and AEW have been getting saying they are exploiting -1 having him on Dark and TV.

Some sad bastards on social media

****ing hate social media for reasons like this

Just watching some WWF Raws from 2000 on the network and something came to mind.

A lot of times they would do something at the start of the show to set up a main event the same night (something AEW has never done). Do you think AEW should do the same (not all time but now and again) on Dynamite to mix it up a bit? Or do you prefer that they always announce all the matches before the show? Personally I wouldn't mind if they did it sometimes (not a lot) just to make it feel a bit more spontaneous and it could lead to more viewers sticking around through out the show.

Just interested to see what people think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,899 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Just watching some WWF Raws from 2000 on the network and something came to mind.

A lot of times they would do something at the start of the show to set up a main event the same night (something AEW has never done). Do you think AEW should do the same (not all time but now and again) on Dynamite to mix it up a bit? Or do you prefer that they always announce all the matches before the show? Personally I wouldn't mind if they did it sometimes (not a lot) just to make it feel a bit more spontaneous and it could lead to more viewers sticking around through out the show.

I think AEW and all other modern wrestling TV shows should do this because if done right it’s a hook to the viewer and then by treading the main event angle through the show it should keep fans from changing the channel. It’s one thing I just don’t think AEW does well is format their weekly TV well and considering they are on TNT you’d think there would be people there to help them do it.

While I don’t agree on jim cornette on many of his non wresting rants, I do love to listen to him talk about how to format and shoot wrestling on TV. It’s a very interesting listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭NITRO95

If there was a weaker main event lined announced in advance say Wardlow vs Eddie Kingston just as an example, I'd have no problem if once every 6 months they did something like you're suggesting. Spontaneity and keeping the viewer guessing is good but I also prefer the AEW style of giving viewers 90% of next weeks matches in the spot just before the main event

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I think the setting up the main event at the beginning or other matches throughout the night comes across as bad.
    It just makes the whole thing seem like very bad management. Imagine no one came out to confront someone at the start. What would the main event be then? They'd have to cut the show short. They should try to always have their matches planned and interruptions can lead to the next week's match.
    NXT and NXT UK rarely does it the WWE way and announces matches for the weeks ahead.

If its not broke, dont fix it.

That said I'm not against it in the right circumstances.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I think the setting up the main event at the beginning or other matches throughout the night comes across as bad.
    It just makes the whole thing seem like very bad management. Imagine no one came out to confront someone at the start. What would the main event be then? They'd have to cut the show short. They should try to always have their matches planned and interruptions can lead to the next week's match.
    NXT and NXT UK rarely does it the WWE way and announces matches for the weeks ahead.

Setting it up every week as if it’s a stand alone show and you need to remind all the fans of where you are is bad booking. For example in the attitude era when it was hot, you knew that what happened on raw logically would follow over to smack down so you kind of knew what the opening would be and by extension what the main event match or confrontation was going to be.

So yes in my last post I said the main event should be set up and then that story should flow through the whole show was in relation to bad formatting of the show, but bad formatting can be overcome by good solid booking because if you are booking right and long term, then you shouldn’t have to spend as much TV time having to remind fans. I hate the constant “my guest at this time is...” way interviews are done in general. If you book and format a wrestling show right it should be obvious who’s going to be interview during the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I don't think AEW do it, but WWE also have a habit of having a match or something happening, followed by replays then we get "Before the break" showing the exact same thing again. I don't claim to have a great memory but even Guy Pearce's character from Memento wouldn't need that many reminders.

I don't think AEW do it, but WWE also have a habit of having a match or something happening, followed by replays then we get "Before the break" showing the exact same thing again. I don't claim to have a great memory but even Guy Pearce's character from Memento wouldn't need that many reminders.

WWE used to do a recap after the first commercial break after the opening segment to sell the rest of the show. For a time though smackdown did become a glorified raw highlights show.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

That's very much an American TV thing. If you look at something like Mythbusters - they would come back from a break and re-explain everything they just spent 15 minutes talking about - it's both a recap and an explainer to people who've just changed the channel and I suspect it's one of those things that became the "norm" over the years that's probably due a rethink in the world of Tivo and Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

The very odd time it could work, but the crucial thing is that has basically been the cut and paste staple of Raw and Smackdown for the 20+ years. Like a lot of things it has been done to death by WWE to the point of nausea, so they have set out that trying to make wins mean something and having matches announced in advance is what they're going to do.

On last week's episode I thought it was good overall, great main event but Cody v Penta I did not like. They had introduced an interesting new edge to Penta's character that was literally a week old, then they have a kayfabe injured Cody Rhodes kick his ass (vertebreaker n all) in his first match. I'll give them a slight chance that they might go somewhere interesting with it but I'm struggling to see the point of it right now.

• Advertisement

Can I conduct a survey...thank the post if you'd watch AEW over late 90s WWF/WCW.

WHO HERE ACTUALLY ENJOYS AEW?

Advertisement