Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,589 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Read there that TNT have asked AEW not to do anymore surprises debuts TNT want to publicise debuts to get a boost in the ratings.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,069 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Wonder if that means being specific or can they get away with just teasing like they did for Christian

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I think I made the exact same points 6 months ago. Its everything I want from WWE without the obvious neagtives. Everything feels natural and logical. Nothing feels forced. The production isnt over produced or dumbed down.

And Im a habitual WWE viewer, I want all this from WWE but sadly dont get it. AEW provides everything I crave from WWE that WWE fail to provide.

Me too when I started watching regularly. Exactly my thoughts. It's just so easy to watch it and enjoy it for a couple of hours. That's all I want from wrestling, not to be annoyed by stupidity and clearly talented wrestlers not getting a chance. I used to like NXT too until they stopped showing it live on the network. I'm not really interested in waiting a week or more to catch up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

I slowly started to realise when watching last dynamite that AEW is the only show I dont read up on and find out what happens there.

Like Smackdown this week, I read what happened and then went and watched what sounded interesting.

I'm probably missing alot in WWE, maybe a reason why I don't get that annoyed by it. But with Dynamite I'll actively avoid anything to do with AEW until I see the show.

That is like the first time since Summer of Punk I've done that.

I also realised I am a bit of a WWE flake, I was initially a WWF fan, changed to WCW ( banned from watching wrestling at home so had to go to my grans every Friday to watch wrestling, see only had totally, so nitro and thunder I was) then I was a huge TNA fan boy until 2011/12. Then became just a PPV watcher since then with exception of NXT circa 2014 until about 2019.

AEW does have its problems but I'm invested.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Saw a few criticisms about the Brit Baker and Thunder Rosa's match because of the ending where they showed the behind-the-scenes stuff. I've got to say I agree with that criticism. After that intense fight, we didn't need to see that stuff at the end, it completely takes me out of the moment. The match would have been perfect if not for that.

• Advertisement

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Saw a few criticisms about the Brit Baker and Thunder Rosa's match because of the ending where they showed the behind-the-scenes stuff. I've got to say I agree with that criticism. After that intense fight, we didn't need to see that stuff at the end, it completely takes me out of the moment. The match would have been perfect if not for that.

Was that on the show?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Riddle101 wrote: »

Ive no problem with it. Most viewers are clued in and I love the backstage scenes once its separated from the actual product.

The match IMO was not hindered by it. Easy to separate both.

Sirsok wrote: »
    Was that on the show?

No it was on the Youtube channel a day later.

No it was on the Youtube channel a day later.

Well then its akin to watching a behind the scenes doc of a movie really.

Sure it may lose some allure however if it's not part of the show presentation, a separate mindset is required.

It's a strange one I know, as Kayfabe was integral however we are well passed that stage now I thought.

Within context of a show that would be bad but outside of that maybe not so much.

Actually Wyatt to his credit, despite his world breaking tries to remain somewhat consistent with his outside world presentation

Sirsok, I gotta know.... why did wrestling gey banned in your house?

• Advertisement

I can see both sides of that particular debate. I felt they could have held off a bit longer on putting up the behind the scenes stuff. Save it for a mini special down the road a bit, like WWE do with their 24 documentaries but it didn't detract from the match for me.

Sirsok, I gotta know.... why did wrestling gey banned in your house?

Few reasons to be fair..... off top of my head over about 6 years.

1. My Father, who initially introduced me to wrestling suddenly changed his perception of it and that it was fake nonsense.

2. I powerbombed my cousin thru a bed frame twice.

3. Got my two front teeth knocked out due to a tombstone.

4. Hit my thumb with an axe making weapons.....I was no more then 9.

5. My mam came home and all the mattresses where out the back and me and a mate were waring plastboard off each others head.

His ban on wrestling and confiscation of my video camera weirdly has lead to a life watching wrestling and a career in video production.

TLDR version - I did'nt listen to Ron Simmons and kept trying wrestling at home

Sirsok wrote: »
    Few reasons to be fair..... off top of my head over about 6 years.

1. My Father, who initially introduced me to wrestling suddenly changed his perception of it and that it was fake nonsense.

2. I powerbombed my cousin thru a bed frame twice.

3. Got my two front teeth knocked out due to a tombstone.

4. Hit my thumb with an axe making weapons.....I was no more then 9.

5. My mam came home and all the mattresses where out the back and me and a mate were waring plastboard off each others head.

His ban on wrestling and confiscation of my video camera weirdly has lead to a life watching wrestling and a career in video production.

TLDR version - I don't listen to Ron Simmons and kept trying wrestling at home

Love it.

I too broke my bed by being RockBottomed through it. Also put a dent in a wall by being slammed into it. Ah to be 10 again.

Plaster board Hardcore matches rule too. Never underestimate the value of a building site skip. Plenty of plunder for a match.

Never got injured though or dared use the mattress outside. Brave dude

Plenty of mess wrestling took place in my 20s on various nightclub dancefloors. I had a habit of putting people in a Liontamer/ Walls of Jericho when they attempted any sort of break dancing. Mates or strangers.

Spears into rubbish piles on Grafton st often occured.

So your not alone.

Also in 5th class I set up the OKPA (O'Keeffe Protection Agency) where my cousin and I used to get 50p to protect guys in our class against lads picking on them.

We also organised Royal Rumbles at lunch time that ended because we gave a 3-d to a guy accidently into a dog poo....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Sprained my sisters arm by jumping off a washing machine :D

Love it.

I too broke my bed by being RockBottomed through it. Also put a dent in a wall by being slammed into it. Ah to be 10 again.

Plaster board Hardcore matches rule too. Never underestimate the value of a building site skip. Plenty of plunder for a match.

Never got injured though or dared use the mattress outside. Brave dude

Plenty of mess wrestling took place in my 20s on various nightclub dancefloors. I had a habit of putting people in a Liontamer/ Walls of Jericho when they attempted any sort of break dancing. Mates or strangers.

Spears into rubbish piles on Grafton st often occured.

So your not alone.

We would of had some interpromotional fed fued going if we crossed path!

I'm laughing at the idea of some random lad strutting his stuff on the dance floor and suddenly finding himself in the walls of Jericho with no idea what's going on.

Pentecost wrote: »
    I'm laughing at the idea of some random lad strutting his stuff on the dance floor and suddenly finding himself in the walls of Jericho with no idea what's going on.

Nearly all times they were bigger lads and Id instantly regret it only for each victim being extremly sound. Drunk luck

• Registered Users Posts: 54,264 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I see they've changed around some of the matches for the House Show

AEW Tag Team Champions The Young Bucks and Brandon Cutler vs. Death Triangle (PAC, Penta El Zero Miedo, Rey Fenix)

AEW World Champion Kenny Omega and Michael Nakazawa vs. The Sydal Brothers

TNT Champion Darby Allin vs. TBD

12-man battle royal for TNT title shot (Powerhouse Hobbs, Lance Archer, Ricky Starks, Scorpio Sky, Ethan Page, The Butcher, The Blade, Dustin Rhodes, Austin Gunn, Colten Gunn, Dark Order's 10 and Colt Cabana)

Cody Rhodes vs. Aaron Solow street fight

AEW Women's Champion Hikaru Shida, Tay Conti and Red Velvet vs. Nyla Rose, Britt Baker and The Bunny

Eddie Kingston vs. Cezar Bononi

The Pinnacle vs. Jurassic Express and Dante Martin of Top Flight (eight man tag)

Orange Cassidy and Jade Cargill in action

Damn be nice to see the Death Triangle match on TV

Events in Japan may be setting up nicely now for Kenny and The Good Brothers to head over for some matches when regular travel is allowed.

• Advertisement

Christian made Edge who is staying in his house at the moment sit down and re-watch his match with Frankie.

He gives the match a B+ himself.

So Jericho is saying on his podcast.
    When Sting was a surprise, [TNT] was like 'don't do that again.' That's why Paul Wight was announced on social media because TNT said, 'We don't want surprises, we want to take advantage of the ratings.' We had a big surprise, a big announcement, and we used the big announcement to announce the next big surprise. I think that's one of the reasons too, to spread it out a little

Man I just assumed gimmick blood was used... man that looms nasty. That had to have hurt.

He had to be mad about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭savemejebus

TNT no surprises rule reminds me of WCW and the 'international' objects.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,264 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Im curious any body know or a rough idea how much do the non AEW contracted wrestlers get for wrestling in Dark Matches?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Some of the best moments in wrestling were surprises. Surely a shocking surprise would get the show trending more than an announcement

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

You can understand the tv people's side of it - they're looking to maximise ratings from the POV of being TV people - they don't quite get that the surprise pop of someone appearing is an integral part of launching big arcs and the bread and butter story-telling of pro wrestling. It's up to the AEW team to make their case with the TV people and explain how important it is to the show to preserve this. They tried something new with the Christian Cage announcement and that didn't quite get the reaction I think they were expecting (but I think he's a great signing who could have made a much bigger splash if he'd just appeared with no preamble). It'll be something they'll continue to work on I'm sure. I guess it all depends on how the ratings are doing in comparison to their projections for this project however many months into the contracts we are - that'll decide who has the greater leverage.

Headshot wrote: »
    Im curious any body know or a rough idea how much do the non AEW contracted wrestlers get for wrestling in Dark Matches?

Dave reported this late last year on AEW enhancement talent.
    For the newcomers, those talents are as a general rule higher paid than NXT talents, but would be lower paid than WWE main roster talent but obviously things vary based on individuals.

• Advertisement
Advertisement