Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Trish to AEW confirmed.

Mike Tyson will be on Dynamite tomorrow.

I was waiting for them to announce something after the poor rating last week and going up against a Takeover this week.

Mike Tyson though.... couldn't care less.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,069 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So Tyson coming back to continue the story that they seemingly dropped?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,264 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

So Jericho is saying on his podcast.

TK explained what happened

https://heelbynature.com/all-elite-wrestling/tony-khan-clarifies-tnt-not-wanting-surprises-on-aew-dynamite/
    “It’s a mixed bag, I would say it is exactly how it happened…Point being I don’t think that’s exactly how the conversation happened, I know, I’m the one who had it. That’s not exactly how the conversation with TNT went. There’s a balance between announcing things in advance like we’ve done with Mike [Tyson] coming in for this week, or with Paul Wight coming in, telling fans in advance when something’s coming, or surprises that came out of nowhere like when Sting showed up. I think that’s a great balance to have, and I think we’ll be doing both”

“I want to make it clear, TNT never said don’t do surprises, they thought that was great, and they got a huge reaction to Sting, and I think in doing the announcement with Paul, they were excited to do one with a press release, it’s a great strategy”

Damn you forget The Hangman Adam Page is only 29

wow

• Advertisement

Wow that superb by Jericho

• Registered Users Posts: 60,589 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

An episode of great promos.

Jericho with an awesome promo.

QT with a brilliant vignette with his new guys, More than someone's Boyfriend, More than a Body Guy and Ogogo going down the anti American route.

Sky and Page doing the rafters stuff.

Sting, Jake & Archer bringing up being brought in strong then dumped midcard etc. Brilliant.

Nice Team Taz stuff offering Christian a place in the team and Hook without the hoodie looks jacked for his age.

Britt and Rebal not Reba rocking it again with the promo.

The Dark Order all starting to wear white now that they are faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭ThePott

Thought was an okay not great Dynamite personally.
    Jericho's promo was fantastic, liked Tyson's involvement. Even though it does beg the question of what his role would have been if The Pinnacle hadn't attacked. Wonder if he's going to have a match down the road.

They're relaly going all in on factions, not sure about the Hardy Family Office or whatever, that's a dreadful name. Nice to see a build to a TV PPV in Blood and Guts but surprised how close it is going to be to Double or Nothing.

Sting/Archer is a feud I don't want in anyway personally, think they've fumbled Lance Archer a bit but at least they're playing off it for story.
    Also not sure how to feel about the Bullet Club stuff really. Just feels overdone at this point. We'll see where it goes though.

An episode of great promos.

QT with a brilliant vignette with his new guys, More than someone's Boyfriend, More than a Body Guy and Ogogo going down the anti American route.

And he's not even that anymore.

I agree with Jericho on FTR. Never knew who was who in WWE and not changed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I agree with Jericho on FTR. Never knew who was who in WWE and not changed here.

Seeing NXT at Download back in 2016 (think that was the first year they did it) and there were huge dueling chants of "which one's Dawson? WHICH ONE'S DASH?" for their entire match - was brilliant :pac:

(they did not appreciate it!)

• Advertisement

The Ant & Dec dilemma.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

The Ant & Dec dilemma.

At least they stand the right way round :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,169 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

ThePott wrote: »
    Sting/Archer is a feud I don't want in anyway personally, think they've fumbled Lance Archer a bit but at least they're playing off it for story.
    Also not sure how to feel about the Bullet Club stuff really. Just feels overdone at this point. We'll see where it goes though.

It's 8 years old. It's gone through multiple versions through multiple companies. Old, old hat.

Too sweet-ing in 2021 is as sad and uninspired as HHH and Shawn doing crotch chops in 2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

J. Marston wrote: »
    It's 8 years old. It's gone through multiple versions through multiple companies. Old, old hat.

Too sweet-ing in 2021 is as sad and uninspired as HHH and Shawn doing crotch chops in 2006.

8 years? Where and when did this start do you think?

Looking forward to you saying the same thing about Balor reprising his gimmick from a legit 8 years ago though...

Balor is as entertaining as watching grass grow so I don't care what he's at.

Anyway, in place of any major reviews (because I've only just finished both shows from last night) I think the highlight of any wrestling show last night was the debut of Hook's new look. Holy lord, the tank top, the jeans, the hair, the biceps, if I had a time machine I'd skip forward 5 years to when this guy is holding the World Title, everything til then is nothing but filler.

Outside of that, the show obviously had the big Young Bucks heel turn at the end. I like the story, I think it put real sympathy on Mox and Kingston, I absolutely can do without the "WHY AM I SO VIOLENT?" Stuff that absolutely plagues modern US wrestling. The match itself was really good though ***3/4

Jericho's promo was top notch too and the visual with Tyson was cool.

Next week's episode, the first in this newly unopposed state, is pretty loaded.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Balor is as entertaining as watching grass grow so I don't care what he's at.

I'd say easily the best WWE wrestler of the last year but whatever. I was more curious to find out when you think the Omega/Bucks story started because 8 years is way off.

I don't know what to make of the show last night. Didn't enjoy it as much as others. I still enjoy AEW for the most part but I just haven't been enjoying it as much since Revolution. I can't put my finger on why tbh because a lot still seem to be loving it on here. Maybe the feuds just aren't clicking with me atm or something.

With what's happened before, it's hard to tell if that was a Bucks heel turn or not since they went through the period of just superkicking people for no reason fairly recently while they were supposedly faces.

Ya I want Beaker's review of the show :)

The show didnt blow me away, it was still a solid watchable show but they've done much better.

Look the Sting stuff is grinding my gears but Im hoping this latest development might really bring me back in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

I don't know what to make of the show last night. Didn't enjoy it as much as others. I still enjoy AEW for the most part but I just haven't been enjoying it as much since Revolution. I can't put my finger on why tbh because a lot still seem to be loving it on here. Maybe the feuds just aren't clicking with me atm or something.

I'm kind of in the same boat. Think it's a combination of the overarching storylines they threatened (NJPW, Impact invasion) petering out and some of my favourites being on the back burner atm (Hangman, Starks, Proud n Powerful).

The top of the card isn't great right now. I think Callis has been great as a manipulative sleazebag but the Good Brothers make me want to scratch my eyes out. Moxley needed to get away from Omega after Revolution. Anything that involves the Bucks acting is a pass for me, they are atrocious. The tag division, which has always been so good, has been an afterthought since they won the belts.

The constant switching on face/heel alignments and movements between factions is quite tiring as well.

That being said theres still plenty to like, I'm just harsh on AEW because they're very close to being great but just not quite there yet.

AEW 688K and the 5th rated show of the night.

NXT 768K and the 11th rated show of the night.

I'm kind of in the same boat. Think it's a combination of the overarching storylines they threatened (NJPW, Impact invasion) petering out and some of my favourites being on the back burner atm (Hangman, Starks, Proud n Powerful).

The top of the card isn't great right now. I think Callis has been great as a manipulative sleazebag but the Good Brothers make me want to scratch my eyes out. Moxley needed to get away from Omega after Revolution. Anything that involves the Bucks acting is a pass for me, they are atrocious. The tag division, which has always been so good, has been an afterthought since they won the belts.

The constant switching on face/heel alignments and movements between factions is quite tiring as well.

That being said theres still plenty to like, I'm just harsh on AEW because they're very close to being great but just not quite there yet.

Completely agree with all this.

I think I read a stat that Starks (one of my favourites atm) has had only 1 match on Dynamite this year. Not sure if that's accurate though.

I was hoping Moxley and Omega would move on to new opponents after Revolution. And I just couldn't care less about the Bucks heel turn. It's like they can only do comedy or breaking the fourth wall type stuff when it comes to a storyline.

Would much prefer the tag titles on FTR for the upcoming (hopefully) feud against Santana and Ortiz.

Great point about the heel/face changes recently as well. Feels like there's been loads in the last month or two.

Also I will never care about QT Marshall and Cody. It's not even all on QT, I just can't stand Cody. Hopefully it will elevate some of the guys with QT but couldn't care less about QT Vs Cody and you know Dustin will get involved and have a match with QT as well.

And last thing. Sting getting interviewed every week and being interrupted is just the laziest booking going on the show. Same thing nearly every week since his debut.

Sorry for the rant :D I still enjoy AEW but definitely a lot of improvements can be made moving forward.

And I just couldn't care less about the Bucks heel turn. It's like they can only do comedy or breaking the fourth wall type stuff when it comes to a storyline.

They are the male versions of The Bellas when it comes to acting. Hopeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I really really enjoyed last nights show and surprised others didnt.... am I so out of touch...?

Opener was a fine contest betweem two guys Im fond of. Hangman and Caster was smooth and Bowens played his part. Hangman should always be winning this but AEW, as they always do, presented a good contest to make me doubt the outcome.

JE vs Bear Country was a fun romp, Jungle Boy as always the star of the match. It wasnt super smooth and had its hiccups, but a decent tv match.

Allin vs Drake was great. Both mens styles meshed well and they had good chemistry. Drakes doing well in what little time hes had in AEW. Really enjoyed this. Nemeth as a manager grows on me by the week.

Loved the trios match and these matches are certainly the best use of the GBs... who suck, but they dont take away from the action in these multi man matches.

Enjoyed the closing angle but I agree .... its hard to know when the Bucks have turned based on their antics the last few months and the turn itself felt a bit contrived. Bucks blanked Hangman for less months earlier, but dickhead Kenny gets a pass.... meh. But its a minor nit pick.

Other angles throughout the show pleased me.

Liked QTs promo... though Ngogo dissing the yanks, while be surrounded by yanks was stupid. A minor nitpick on an otherwise good promo from QT.

Christian and Team Taz was good.... AEW letting it simmer is something so refreshing.... if this would be WWE, it be over by the end of the show. Also.... LOB had to enjoy Hook...amirite...

Loved Britt Bakers promo... shes on fire promo wise.

Sting and Archer was brilliant. Sting giving Archer the rub caught me off guard, really interested in where Archer goes from here.

Glad OC and best friend moved on.... happy with them having a filler feud with DT. Love the dynamic in DT with them being likeable tweeners.

And last but not least the Inner Circle promo.... Jericho will get gried from me from time to time, but man... his best promo in forever even with a lill mix up on Wardlow. Just loved it. His passion, his fire... man he never not gets it.

I even poped for Tyson.... I didnt think I had that in me, was not interested in Tyson at all....but i poped.

Overall a very good show.... nothing ground breaking, but man I just love it. Entertainment.

For what its worth, I watched AEW first.... only settling in to NXT night 1 now. Tells you where my heads at.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Sick of watching Moxley getting beat down every week by a group of guys. Sick of Sting and Tony interviews. Sick of the Young Bucks doing the flip flop on heel face alignment.

Loved JD Drake vs Darby Allin.

That’s really my take from this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

The Jericho promo was so good, also really liked the follow up from Q.T and his crew. Interested to see what Ogogo is like in the ring.

The rest of the show wasn't great, was on my phone for most of it. The Jungle Express/Bears match sucked so much, I can't stand Luchasaurus, wish they'd get Jungle Boy away from him.

I can't stand Luchasaurus, wish they'd get Jungle Boy away from him.

Completely agree with you. I've said it before but those slow kicks he does with the most obvious leg slaps ever are awful. Get him away from Luchasaurus and Marko Stunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The Jericho promo was so good, also really liked the follow up from Q.T and his crew. Interested to see what Ogogo is like in the ring.

Ogogo was fire on that promo I have to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Omackeral wrote: »
    Ogogo was fire on that promo I have to say.

I agree hes good at delivery, slagging the yanks while surrounded by other americans though....

Advertisement