Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,264 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

****ing love that Darby match too.

The guy is so good

• Registered Users Posts: 60,588 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The number 2 ranked cable show of the night as TNT will be very happy with that finishing ahead of two NBA games.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,588 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'd love to see Joe turn up with the AOP either side of him.

I'd love to see Joe turn up with the AOP either side of him.

A similar contract to what Matt Cardona was on would be perfect for me

On a separate note, isnt it amazing how Jade has progressed so far, it's quite scary to think what she'll be in a year or two if she keeps improving this much

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Jade's on a similar path to Britt Baker wrestling wise imo.

That plus both women still have time on their side at 28 & 29 years old respectively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

And according to Brandon's breakdown, they got a 100% increase on their 4 week median on females 18-49 which is basically why the numbers were low the last while, they got that audience back in for this week's show.

There's about a million different things to say about it, but I'll say this. They've tried some new things in the last month and a bit, it led to a drop initially but it's started to come together, and the rating is deserved, the show has been terrific over that stretch and it really is just starting with where they're going with some things and directions.

Voices Of Wrestling tweeted almost the exact same thing? Wait a sweet second, is LOB either Joe or Rich? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Voices Of Wrestling tweeted almost the exact same thing? Wait a sweet second, is LOB either Joe or Rich? :pac:

Goddam my scoops are being stolen. But no Joe's been talking about this for weeks, well over a month and tbf I'm certain Dave has said something similar but you can see it on TV, it's in front of us. There's quite a few different things they're going for which, OK maybe initially turned a portion of the audience off, but hopefully is now starting to come good.

Joe talks constantly about how an overlapping issue has been that if you're a 30 year old wrestling fan, the only company you know (unless you're a weirdo like me) is WWE. It's a problem with there being only one major wrestling company. Everything is viewed through the lense of WWE. And if a new company books in a way that's different to WWE, if their patterns are different, if how they peak their stories is different, the initial reaction is it's wrong or it feels wrong because that's not how WWE does it, their only reference point. An example, for about 2 weeks now there's been a non stop discourse about AEW factioning off their roster, too many factions confuse fans we're told, why have so many it just dilutes your main event factions, what they're saying is WWE does not do it this way. I don't blame them, it takes time to snap yourself out of that WWE mindset. I started watching non WWE stuff on a regular basis in my late teens, it took me ages to realise there's other ways to tell stories in wrestling. Once you accept that and get into the rhythm of a company's booking pattern not only is everything a lot easier to understand from the perspective of why they do things a certain way but also you enjoy it more.

Basically, I'm not Joe or Rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Basically, I'm not Joe or Rich.

That's EXACTLY what Joe or Rich would say! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Lots.....lots to enjoy this week. The perfect remedy after a disappointing Mania and an awful Monday Night Raw.

The opener...... my god I couldnt look away. Just bravo. Rey Fenix was head and shoulder above all 3 IMO, and thats no knock on YB and Pac, but he was just so smooth, his timing is amazingly good. His rolling cutter from the guard rail, his springboard double cutter and his sequence with the Bucks (when Nick was hung up over the ropes), just jaw dropping. Its a pity the result was always gonna be a Bucks win (come on, they just turned, no way were they losing), but still what an awesome finisher.

I was hoping for a music change from the Bucks considering the opening segment. My only negative really from an awesome 20 minutes of pro wrestling.

That's EXACTLY what Joe or Rich would say! :pac:

Nobody will be saying that when I launch my alternative LOB podcast!

• Advertisement

Nobody will be saying that when I launch my alternative LOB podcast!

You can be Joe and I can be Rich..... Joes got less patience.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    You can be Joe and I can be Rich..... Joes got less patience.

I've got plenty hot takes but I don't know if I could be as committed to the gimmick as Joe (that wedding story is nuts!)

Just listening to the quarter hour breakdowns they did last night, Jericho's match basically got the highest viewership peaking at just over 1.3 million, Darby's main event against Matt Hardy was the peak of the demo viewership.

The Bucks/DT match actually increased viewership in the 2nd quarter which shows that there was real interest in that match and it delivered.

Else where on the show Dax vs Jericho was one of Jerichos better matches in the past year. As expected, it was interference heavy but I enjoyed it.

Christian v Hobbs could be a banger. Love seeing Christian working with new talent. Is interaction with Taz was cutting and brutal, in a good way. Loved it.

Ogogo's debut was ok, listen hes green and they are easing him in. Wasnt mad on the stoppage, one punch and the ref calls it....yet Darby kills himself each week and nothing. Id have preferred it if he knocked him out......speaking of which, Cash looked like he took a shoot right from Iron Mike.

What was great about Dynamite was that they delivered a solid show, that did great ratings without a lot of talent. No Mox, no Kenny, no Kingston, no Cody, no Thunder Rosa, no Baker, no OC, no Miro, no Hangman, no Jungle Boy..... a solid show with a lot of big players missing is amazing.

Does anyone think that Jericho appearing on Austin's show could have helped the rating as well?

Looking forward to Starks Vs Hangman next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Does anyone think that Jericho appearing on Austin's show could have helped the rating as well?

Looking forward to Starks Vs Hangman next week!

I doubt free advertising from a different company did the rating any harm anyways!

Also looking forward to Starks/Page, both future AEW world champs in my eyes.

I doubt free advertising from a different company did the rating any harm anyways!

Also looking forward to Starks/Page, both future AEW world champs in my eyes.

Starks v Page..... sign me up. Hangman needs to be built up as teh guy to take down The Elite, the story is there and hes been kept strong despite being cooled off a little.

Starks in maybe 5 years could be Dwayne Johnson big, hes that good.

Else where on the show Dax vs Jericho was one of Jerichos better matches in the past year. As expected, it was interference heavy but I enjoyed it.

Christian v Hobbs could be a banger. Love seeing Christian working with new talent. Is interaction with Taz was cutting and brutal, in a good way. Loved it.

Tazz is so good, just an angry small man and doesnt have to act or anything, this is just him

I love the back and forth with Christian and the stuff about his wallet, genius

"Bingo Hall Money"

lol

Headshot wrote: »
    Tazz is so good, just an angry small man and doesnt have to act or anything, this is just him

I love the back and forth with Christian and the stuff about his wallet, genius

"Bingo Hall Money"

lol

It felt off the cuff and I lapped it up. Loved the wallet comment and the "bingo hall money" quip was gold.

Taz has been brilliant in AEW. When he joined I was skeptical, but man he's worth every penny. His promos and commentary work (and LOB discovering his son Hook), has been great to listen to.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Yep, Tazz didn't have a proper comeback so off the cuff alright

It felt off the cuff and I lapped it up. Loved the wallet comment and the "bingo hall money" quip was gold.

Taz has been brilliant in AEW. When he joined I was skeptical, but man he's worth every penny. His promos and commentary work (and LOB discovering his son Hook), has been great to listen to.

That HOOK fanbase is growing by the day. And, not to delve into Fiend lore territory, but TK is absolutely playing up to it with the choice of outfits for him every week.

• Advertisement

That HOOK fanbase is growing by the day. And, not to delve into Fiend lore territory, but TK is absolutely playing up to it with the choice of outfits for him every week.

If we ever do a AEW Dynamite podcast, we will have a Hook Watch segment

If we ever do a AEW Dynamite podcast, we will have a Hook Watch segment

That's not even up for debate!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭Monokne

Starks v Page..... sign me up. Hangman needs to be built up as teh guy to take down The Elite, the story is there and hes been kept strong despite being cooled off a little.

Starks in maybe 5 years could be Dwayne Johnson big, hes that good.

Settle down! :eek:

Monokne wrote: »
    Settle down! :eek:

Im not saying hes there yet, and nor is it any guarantee that he will get there, but Im very high on him. Character wise, hes like a young Rock when he joined the Nation. Hes been showing his talent as a character and hes improving in ring. I believe he has the potential to be a star bigger than pro wrestling is what I mean. Hes a long way to go though.

I used to say Becky could be the female Daniel Bryan in 2016, most people disagreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭Monokne

Im not saying hes there yet, and nor is it any guarantee that he will get there, but Im very high on him. Character wise, hes like a young Rock when he joined the Nation. Hes been showing his talent as a character and hes improving in ring. I believe he has the potential to be a star bigger than pro wrestling is what I mean. Hes a long way to go though.

I used to say Becky could be the female Daniel Bryan in 2016, most people disagreed.

The Rock is one of the 4 biggest names in US pro wrestling history if you drill into it, with Londos, Austin, and Hogan, Bruno narrowly behind. He was an absolutely transcendant star - and that was just as a wrestler, before he ever did a film.

I like Ricky Starks a lot. I don't think he has any chance at all of being one of the biggest stars in the entire history of this industry though.

Becky & Bryan is much more logical. Bryan is a big star to the wrestling audience, which is wonderful, but nothing more than that. That is a substantially more achievable goal than being the next Rock. Becky has an intangible quality, a likeable-ness that is hard to teach, similar to Bryan. I totally see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

Agree 100% bout Starks!

He really does have that aura about him and I do feel he could go onto be a gigantic star!

Hopefully we will see alot more of Ricky from now on!

Monokne wrote: »
    The Rock is one of the 4 biggest names in US pro wrestling history if you drill into it, with Londos, Austin, and Hogan, Bruno narrowly behind. He was an absolutely transcendant star - and that was just as a wrestler, before he ever did a film.

I like Ricky Starks a lot. I don't think he has any chance at all of being one of the biggest stars in the entire history of this industry though.

Becky & Bryan is much more logical. Bryan is a big star to the wrestling audience, which is wonderful, but nothing more than that. That is a substantially more achievable goal than being the next Rock. Becky has an intangible quality, a likeable-ness that is hard to teach, similar to Bryan. I totally see that.

For clarity, I dont see anyone else in being a bigger than wrestling star other than Starks. He just as IT. Hes not the finished article, actually a far cry from that. But hes young, charismatic, oozing personality, seems to have a wide range of ability in terms of being a character, he steals most segments hes in. He just has it and gets it.

Im probably wrong, but Im sticking to my opinion. see you when Starks is 45 :pac:

Ya i'm missing Rickys music theme at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 5,187 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Starks just needs to show he can go in the ring with the best. If he can do that then the sky's the limit as far as professional wrestling goes, as he has all the other tools.

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    Ya i'm missing Rickys music theme at the moment

Vs Hangman on wednesday..... cant wait myself. Love both guys, Hangman will surely have a solid TV match with him.

Loving the slow burn friction between him and Cage.

Advertisement