Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Yes! That finish, the reactions to certain guys, man I've so much to say about that match particularly and this show overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭nazmoalex

Boom! The finish saved that match. G'wan Jungle Boy!

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

How much did Christian love milking every bit of drama he could out of the finish? Good stuff

Ogogo punch this man into oblivion.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

Ahahaha the father to be. Does he think he's the first person to have a baby?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭nazmoalex

Wait till Cody finds out Sapphire is his birth mother!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,169 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Homelander? Maybe he does have some self-awareness after all.

Ogogo looked good. 1st time wrestling in front of a live crowd in a 10 minute ppv match is not easy at all. The tools are there.

The work was far from clean but it felt like a struggle and actually by the time it hit the stretch it really did feel super hot. I can do without the interference spots but the reaction to Britt winning the title was great.

Ahhhh lads, if you don't think Sting being in Darby's home movies isn't the greatest thing ever I don't know what to tell you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

That World title match rocked.

MJFs street fighter clothes are over with me.

Inner Circle going for the DOA look... not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Really starting to get a whiff of TNA from AEW.

AEW Official : So you worked for WWE?
    Talent : Yes I worked there for………
    AEW : YOUR HIRED!!

That take is a million miles off. Just take a look at this show and look at who it's been designed to elevate. If you can't see the difference between that and old TNA then I can only assume you did not watch TNA.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

If this is because of
    Mark Henry
    I'll just :rolleyes: and repeat what I said in the releases thread, great talent in professional wrestling is still great talent, regardless of previous affiliation or association.

That take is a million miles off. Just take a look at this show and look at who it's been designed to elevate. If you can't see the difference between that and old TNA then I can only assume you did not watch TNA.

And bump this up again. It's been clear as day what the MO was tonight and has been pretty much from day 1 but particularly during the pandemic. If you're paying attention you get it.

A1 show. Completely booked to the circumstances of the show, incredibly feel good, the live crowd loved it, that came across on TV and elevated everything. I said it earlier, I'll go again, a show that reminded me so much of One Night Stand 2005.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

The battle royal result shows they ain't going down the TNA road though, home grown guy winning over the ex- WWE never happened in TNA (although in this one case maybe they should have,they need better World Championship feuds)

How over in Jungle Boy. I know he wont win against Kenny but I'll be rooting for him. He

I said a few months ago that OC jumped the shark for me.... I was wrong. As 3 ways go, that match was all sorts of exciting.

Felt Stampede was off, shouldnt have main evented. It wasnt bad but it was an underwhelming ending to a great PPPV.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Why wasn't Shida disqualified when Rebel hit Britt with the crutch?

Was anyone else trying to do the math with the statistics? Like Omega "Unbeaten in Singles matches for 638" days and "AEW Singles record 18-2".

Thought Hangman was going to take the FTW title as well.

Lio in the Battle Royal was like a lot of surprise entrants in a Royal Rumble. They come out, hit a few moves then get eliminated
    Caster is great on the mic. He didn't chance pi$$ing off Powers though.

Of course Cody was going to win since he was fighting on behalf of the entire country on Memorial Day weekend.

After the cinematic match last time being to his benefit, I was expecting Sting to be gassed right away and being used sparingly, but nope. Was still well able for it.

Triple threat was great.

That's the second main event between the 2 groups and neither has been live audience friendly, in my opinion. I'm sure Cherry_Cola can correct me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

The Blood and Guts match was great but it was the rest of the show that sucked for the live crowd on that occasion. I'm in a heap on my 2nd of 3 flights today but will put up pics and some details once back. Hangman sat across from me on my flight to Atlanta, the soundest!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,596 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Lio Rush is an amazing get.

Now get Speedball.

They really could do with a no limits title now similar to the X Division title, Now that there is so many really talented wrestlers in the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

The Blood and Guts match was great but it was the rest of the show that sucked for the live crowd on that occasion. I'm in a heap on my 2nd of 3 flights today but will put up pics and some details once back. Hangman sat across from me on my flight to Atlanta, the soundest!

1. That's awesome
    2. Oh man, am I ****ing jealous.

I know Lio Rush isnt a big name but the man is just amazing. I was never expecting a big name but I was very pleased with Rush.

The Hangman v Cage opener was fantastic, and continues the Cage faceturn story. Was great to have such a good opener to get the crowd hot, not that it needed much encouragement.

Mox and Kingston vs Bucks was fantastic. Delighted for Kingston to be so over with the love crowd. Some great sequences. And man is Wild Thing amazing with a hot crowd. Great shout.

The battle royal was decent, disappointed Rush went out so soon but I loved the finish and Jungle Boy vs Omega will be a top match in 2 weeks.

Wasnt mad on Cody v Ogogo. Ogogo did great for his first big live match and Codys done a good job getting him over but I would have rathered Ogogo squash him quick ala Drago v Rocky. The crowd didnt seem too into it.

Miro v Archer was a fine brawl. Both men needed a win here and I suppose Miro needed it more as a defeat would really be detrimental to him. Archer just always loses amd he needs a change to salvage him as a threat. Was sad to see him lose via submission.

Sting and Darby v Men of the year was great. Sting is in amazing shape for his age and hes been used perfectly. Marked out when he took the shirt off. Ethan Page was been brilliant since he joined, hasnt missed a step and this feud has really elevated him. Some great sequences again here.

Loved the 3 way, Kenny and Pac just click and I felt as the natch wore on I could see OC getting a sly win. All 3 men worked there asses off and my only niggle was the Don Callis interference.

Stampede was very underwhelming ending to a top notch PPV. It shouldn't have closed but it wasnt terrible. Loved Konnans cameo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I adored the triple threat title match. Just utterly loved it. Thought all three played their roles perfectly. I know a while back, when some were saying they didn't like OC in the match, I argued his strength was going to be in getting Omega over as a heel, and you could tell how hot the crow were at him, despite it being a pretty run of the mill interference ending. But I thought all three men were phenomenal in the match.

I love Miro as a character. He's such a bastard, but he plays the role so utterly perfectly.

Agree the Stampede should not have closed the show, especially given a massive chunk at the end was Sammy vs Spears. I like the idea was to push Sammy as the star and get him over though, so I can completely accept how the match went. I just think the triple threat would have been a stronger main event. (But I can also achknowledge they probably wanted to end on a high for the crowd, rather than a screwy ending).

Crowd were hot for Jungle Boy too, and it was pretty obvious once he entered that if he didn't win, there was going to be problems with that crowd. Same as OC, I think he's used to keep getting Omega over as the villain. But I appreciate AEW seems to give their ultra popular stars a chance to get over (rather than hack the legs out from underneath them).

Really enjoyed the show overall. Especially that Triple Threat.

EDIT: Actually, one grievance; people kicking out of stupidly high powered moves. This is something that puts me off indy wrestling in general tbh. Cage hits Page with an F5 from the top rope. Barely a 2 count. Mox gets hit with a Meltzer Driver on the ramp. Barely a two count. There's a level where, when they are hitting each other with those sorts of moves as progression moves, it loses some appeal. Its like, calm down lads. That takes me out of the match massively. I get your super human to an extent, but you shouldn't be utterly immortal!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Right! I've been watching all morning in between doing some actual work :D

What a show? I thought they pretty much delivered everywhere except for the Stadium Stampede which didn't quite hold my attention (and had an ending I was initially surprised by but on the balance, was the right idea to elevate both Sammy and Spears).

The new signings - Rush is a very good get and Mark Henry who's been doing all this talking about "one more match" is very interesting. You can't be unhappy about either of those names turning up unless you're looking to make some bad faith argument.

I think they've learned about how to manage their announcements now after the lead balloon of a reaction that happened after they announced Christian.

I thought we'd get more of Christian vs Team Tazz after the backstage spot of him and Hobbs going at it on Friday. With the way they're setting up the Brian Cage/Team Tazz split, I suspect we might have 2 Cages joining forces (now if only there was a match that featured 2 cages...) :D

Bucks v Mox and Kingston did exactly what it says on the tin. Loved it. Heel Bucks are a great act.

Shida v Britt was a great match, I'd agree with CastorTroy's earlier question of how it didn't end in a DQ via outside interference. But I did get to send a message to my girlfriend this morning saying "I'm watching a samurai and a dentist have a scrap for a title" and who could resist that? I think they did a bit to recover Shida's name and rep after what was a very 1-sided build for Britt.

The Battle Royale was solid. Christian being there from the start and lasting till the end plays into the Out Work Everyone gimmick and Jungle Boy winning was a welcome surprise (I had Christian or Matt Hardy winning it).

Miro v Archer was more or less what I expected, but I wasn't expecting interference from Jake (who I am a huge fan of in his mouthpiece role with Archer). Miro continues to be a monster, no surprise there. Not sure what's next for Archer, he really needs a win. They might go back to the Sting/Darby thing?

Speaking of... Fair play to the Stinger for giving it socks at his age. It was a fun match, Page launching Darby into the front row was a good laugh (I once accidentally did something similar to a friend at a gig in the Olympia :D ). A fine crowdpleaser.

The Triple Threat for the title was my highlight for sure. All 3 of these lads are so good at what they do and I loved all of it. Big shout out to Dom Calis who put in a great shift all night too, he's a big part of what makes all this tick. I enjoyed getting some of OC's nonsense (as did the crowd). How intense and scary is Pac? I'd never want to see him cross at me :D

Great show overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,275 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Just finished watching it

Hot damn did they deliver on this PPV.

You have no idea how much I marked out when Sting taking the bumps. How the hell he didn't he get his Undertaker match, it's a crime against wrestling

Darby Allen again is so ****ing good, Ego throwing Darby into the crowd, my jaw dropped

Miro v Archer, a battle of monsters and loved the crowd reaction when Miro threw the snake bag away lol

Triple Threat, probably one of the best i've ever seen. I was buzzing for OC to win, I really felt he was going to do it.

Stadium Stampede had some nice spots and I really enjoyed it myself. Big winner out of this is Sammy and he's going to go on to bigger things.

Tony Khan said in the post show presser that he cleared his promo on Nick Khan with NJPW first and asked them if it was a good idea and they gave him the go ahead to do it and said it was a good idea.

Lio is on a handshake deal as he wants to work for NJPW as well.

There is a message for Bryan Danielson I'll let you work for both ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    If this is because of
    Mark Henry
    I'll just :rolleyes: and repeat what I said in the releases thread, great talent in professional wrestling is still great talent, regardless of previous affiliation or association.

But ... and I might as well spoiler it
    Is Mark Henry great talent?
    :pac:

Advertisement