Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,596 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users Posts: 86,382 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Awesome Kong and Shanna are no longer under contract with AEW

It's the Talent Development that I find the most interesting part Henry has a great eye for talent and has found and trained some of the current WWE & AEW roster.

AEW press release on the signing of Mark Henry to a multi year contract.
    Wrestling Legend Mark Henry Signs Multi-Year Deal with AEW

— “The World’s Strongest Man” will Pull Double Duty as Broadcaster and in Talent Development —

June 1, 2021 – In the midst of the enthralling DOUBLE OR NOTHING PPV event on Saturday, May 30, “The World’s Strongest Man” Mark Henry surprised the full capacity crowd, signing on as an expert analyst, coach, scout and mentor within the company.

The legendary wrestler and co-host of SiriusXM’s Busted Open signed a multi-year deal with AEW as announced by Tony Schiavone during the electrifying event at Daily’s Place in Jacksonville, Fla. An American Olympian weightlifter, world record holding powerlifter and Hall of Fame professional wrestler, Henry will serve as an analyst on the broadcast team for the brand-new, hour-long show AEW RAMPAGE, debuting Friday, Aug. 13, on TNT at 10 p.m. ET / 7 p.m. PT.

Henry brings 25 years of wrestling experience to AEW, strengthening the company’s robust scouting and coaching department that continues to sign and develop the industry’s top independent stars from across the world. As AEW continues to grow both its programming offerings for fans and the size of its roster, Henry’s world-class expertise will help guide the future of the promotion.

“It’s an honor to welcome Mark Henry to AEW. Mark came into pro wrestling already established as a legendary powerlifter, and he applied his greatest tools, his cerebral approach to sport and his unprecedented work ethic, to become a legendary pro wrestler as well,” said Tony Khan, CEO, GM and Head of Creative of AEW. “The mission of AEW is to be the best wrestling product in the world today. Mark’s illustrious presence and his great wrestling acumen will be tremendous assets to our company and our content, as we’ll utilize his esteemed presence not only on-screen, but also in the career development of our stars for the future.”

“I have been fortunate to experience a great deal of success in my pro wrestling career,” said Mark Henry. “From my own in-ring title runs and creative storylines, to identifying and scouting some of the top talent in pro wrestling business today, to my role as a broadcaster, I have long worked to stay ahead of the pro wrestling curve. The overall quality of professional wrestling has skyrocketed in the past few years, and I’ve been very impressed by the meteoric rise of AEW. I’m excited to join the broadcast team on AEW RAMPAGE, and I can’t wait to work with the incredible roster at AEW.”

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Awesome Kong and Shanna are no longer under contract with AEW

The way they were posted one after another I thought they were related :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Its clear now, AEWs structure and personnel that tells you its a wrestling company. WWE is an entertainment company now that does wrestling.

For years WWE has pushed people away from its product with lazy programming, thinking they know better than the oeople who watch their show.

AEW has been on a slow, yet steady growth proving their is a right way to do pro wrestling.

I dont watch WWE much anymore, certainly not with the same enthusiasm. I check in more than anything.

AEW is must see and I look forward to it each week and Im rarely disappointed. Even when Im critical, the good or great most certainly outweighs the slight negatives massively.

Long may AEW continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,275 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Its clear now, AEWs structure and personnel that tells you its a wrestling company. WWE is an entertainment company now that does wrestling.

For years WWE has pushed people away from its product with lazy programming, thinking they know better than the oeople who watch their show.

AEW has been on a slow, yet steady growth proving their is a right way to do pro wrestling.

I dont watch WWE much anymore, certainly not with the same enthusiasm. I check in more than anything.

AEW is must see and I look forward to it each week and Im rarely disappointed. Even when Im critical, the good or great most certainly outweighs the slight negatives massively.

Long may AEW continue.

You're preaching the choir here.

I don't even watch WWE product anymore. The only show I use to watch is NXT but I've given up on that too.

Can you even class WWE as a wrestling promotion now? I don't think you can and I suspect WWE want to be known as just a entertainment company.

I've given up on the likes of Hunter changing it back to a wrestling company when Vinces passes away as it will far to gone

Headshot wrote: »
    But she's not their signing yet anyway as she's still with NWA?

Would be a superb signing thou

Sorry missed this post the other night

She is signed -

https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1308088643328913411?s=19

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I watched the Riho match this morning, it was great. Delighted for her, she's a very good addition to the women's division.

Sorry missed this post the other night

She is signed -

https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1308088643328913411?s=19

Get the **** in

Go wan

What a woman's division this is shaping up to. What a turn around. Just need Thunder Rosa to put pen to paper next

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Guess Kamille will get the title from Serena then, unless they give it to Rosa to keep her sweet

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Guess Kamille will get the title from Serena then, unless they give it to Rosa to keep her sweet

I think I heard Rosa still has a year left on her NWA contract but from what i've read and heard NWA is an absolute mess and could be dead before the year is up which is horrible but that move to fite was a very bad I felt.

I use to love watching it on YouTube and felt it was to early to move to fite especially after losing their best talents

That tweet about Deeb signing is from last September btw just incase anyone thinks it's breaking news today haha.

She's been a great signing so far

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Dustin Rhodes and Nick Comoroto announced for a Bullrope match on Dynamite. Love that, half expecting we're heading towards a good old fashioned flag match between Cody and Ogogo.

Taichi and ZSJ won the tag titles in New Japan yesterday and challenged any team from any promotion to a championship match at the upcoming Dominion event, which could be interesting. Very unlikely to be another Japanese promotion apart from AJPW so worth keeping an eye on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Well that depends on the person's perspective. Not everyone's going to set the wrestling world alight are they?

Though his power & weight lifting far outweigh what he's done in WWF/WWE. But that's my opinion.

It has to be said about Mark Henry that credit is due to the man. He is the model career you want in wrestling. As you say not everyone is going to be booked as the man, the odds are against you, sure the odds are against you making it to WWE as it is. But not only did he make it to the dance he did so for so long. Am sure he has a pretty hefty bank balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭Monokne

It has to be said about Mark Henry that credit is due to the man. He is the model career you want in wrestling. As you say not everyone is going to be booked as the man, the odds are against you, sure the odds are against you making it to WWE as it is. But not only did he make it to the dance he did so for so long. Am sure he has a pretty hefty bank balance.

This is one of the oddest things I have ever read! 'Made it to the dance'??? He was headhunted from another sport.

The odds are against almost anyone who tries to get into wrestling succeeding, yes, but he did not try and get into wrestling. He was recruited because of his size and background, and given a ten year, no cut, $250k a year contract. Even with that, he himself admits in the first few years he did not work particularly hard to earn peoples respect or improve.

He did, eventually, about a decade in become a decent performer - his title win & run was cool and the angle with Cena was an all time great.

No issue with crediting him for eventually improving in the ring and on the mic but his career & success owes everything to Vince McMahons tastes for large, strong people. His is not a pro wrestling fairytale.

Although the one are I do think you were right is that his is the model career - you want to get the most success and earn the most money with the least hard work and he always earned great money even during the periods where he was awful and later when he was not used much.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Monokne wrote: »
    This is one of the oddest things I have ever read! 'Made it to the dance'??? He was headhunted from another sport.

You do realise the expression "made it to the dance" means to make it to the big time. WWE is'nt your local indy. It's the biggest wrestling promotion in the world.

... A tennis player who makes it to Wimbledon, for example, has made it to the dance.
    ... An actor who has made it to Hollywood being cast in large roles in big productions has made it to to the dance. Come on now, you know what it means :pac:
    The odds are against almost anyone who tries to get into wrestling succeeding, yes, but he did not try and get into wrestling. He was recruited because of his size and background, and given a ten year, no cut, $250k a year contract. Even with that, he himself admits in the first few years he did not work particularly hard to earn peoples respect or improve.

He did, eventually, about a decade in become a decent performer - his title win & run was cool and the angle with Cena was an all time great.

No issue with crediting him for eventually improving in the ring and on the mic but his career & success owes everything to Vince McMahons tastes for large, strong people. His is not a pro wrestling fairytale.

To quote the bold part, his bank balance would argue.
    But you have inadvertently proved my point.

- He didnt have to wrestle on the indies. He didn't have to bust his ass trying to get a job with WWE, wrestling in front of 50 people to earn (if you are lucky) 20 bucks. Every single person in WWE who had to do the indy route would have gladly been cherry picked just like Mark Henry.

But it's not just about his origins. He was in WWE for over 20 years and the average run in WWE is 5 (a quote from Jake Hager himself) He has made millions. Do you remember kenny dykstra? how about Rob Conway? I could go on but the point is they made nothing in comparison to Mark Henry. They had a sip of coffee while he had a nice big ol' gallon and the colour was US dollar green.

Although the one are I do think you were right is that his is the model career - you want to get the most success and earn the most money with the least hard work and he always earned great money even during the periods where he was awful and later when he was not used much.

That's the thing. I think Henry is mediocre. To be brutally honest, I think he was a waste of space for many many years. But fair play to the chap he eeked out a VERY good living for many years and as you said for periods he was awful. That is impressive.

So I still stand by my statement. Who here wouldn't, if given the opportunity, do the exact same as him?
    Sure, we'd all love to be the man like Cena and make even more money :pac: but chances of being positioned as the guy are even more slim.

As Bobby Heenan once said its all about an ass every 18 inches - ie the money. many have come and gone in wwe making next to nothing.

Yeah I think we're largely on the same page. I would just take issue with using the term 'made it to the dance' because the first half - 'made it' - usually refers to some long arduous journey that culminates in 'to the dance'. When I read it my impression was that you were suggesting "fair play he made his dream come true" which, clearly, is not how it happened.

As you've said though, the only things real in wrestling are the money & the miles and if you can get the most amount of money while putting the least amount of miles down, you're doing it right. Kudos to him. And Kevin Nash while we are at it :p

Someone is getting fired :pac:

ColeBaker.png

E2wlNUKXEAUaVr8?format=jpg&name=large

E2wlNUOWQAUX00p?format=jpg&name=large

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

The day he returns to TV? :D

Oh Jay White, you pot stirring son of a gun.

https://twitter.com/JayWhiteNZ/status/1399896988993327105

Noticed on Elevation that the guy who was usually front row at NXT that seemed to take it very seriously was there. Saw him, I think, after Rosa won

Noticed on Elevation that the guy who was usually front row at NXT that seemed to take it very seriously was there. Saw him, I think, after Rosa won

Is that Everton supporter guy?

hate him tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭ThePott

Yeah noticed him during Double or Nothing. Can't stand him, tries to make it all about himself.

Don't know if Everton but a blue jersey usually anyway.
    He did just really annoy me on NXT, Seemed to always try to get into fights with the wrestlers and it seemed he didn't like the women's matches.
    Or he was just really into it

Seems his twitter account is https://twitter.com/FLWrestlingFan

Don't know if Everton but a blue jersey usually anyway.
    He did just really annoy me on NXT, Seemed to always try to get into fights with the wrestlers and it seemed he didn't like the women's matches.
    Or he was just really into it

Seems his twitter account is https://twitter.com/FLWrestlingFan

Yup that's him see the bio :)

****ing cannot stand him tbh

Speaking of not standing someone :pac: after watching DON, Elevation and Dark, the last few nights, I think Marko Stunt might be the person I can't stand most in the whole company (on screen).

Can't even go into specific details, Just find him so ****ing annoying anytime he's on screen. I think Jungle boy is great as well so hopefully they get Stunt away from him at some stage.

Speaking of not standing someone :pac: after watching DON, Elevation and Dark, the last few nights, I think Marko Stunt might be the person I can't stand most in the whole company (on screen).

Can't even go into specific details, Just find him so ****ing annoying anytime he's on screen. I think Jungle boy is great as well so hopefully they get Stunt away from him at some stage.

Stunt is terrible. AEW need to be more heavy handed with their roster composition. He is one of many people who really shouldn't be working there.

• Advertisement

I was thinking the same watching Dark. Another one who seems to try and make it about him. Can even see Jungle Boy looking at him and trying to tell him to calm the f down on occasion.

While reminded of NXT regulars I know Izzy is another that has gone to AEW as well, so was just looking and seems Britt gave her a hug after the PPV and said "Now you've been hugged by a real role model"

Advertisement