Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,878 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

CastorTroy wrote: »
    JR was better than he has been in a while, but I hope now he's signed to AEW that he'll do research into who he's commentating on. Like when Pentagon was breaking Matt's arm, JR said he was going for a submission.

Was surprised Kenny lost. Since I expected him to win, I thought Bucks should have lost so it wasn't a clean sweep for the Elite. Looks bad that way.

Couple nice surprises such as Kong being there when I'm sure people were dreading Brandi entering herself. But biggest surprise was Bret's appearance. They're lucky they hadn't just been slagging off a WWE Legend unveiling a belt the day before . :rolleyes:

Not sure how intentional it was when they did it, but Kenny and Moxley were lucky they landed in the middles of the broken table when leaving the ring.

And no offence to Glenn Jacobs, but AEW's dentist is better looking.

So 1 or 2 PPVs before the tv show?

I think them winning was the right call. It keeps the storyline open by having the Lucha Bros still chasing their AAA titles. Cards are always subject to change especially with PAC not wrestling last night but The Elite Vs PAC/Lucha Bros is meant to be happening next month where Lucha Bros can get their win back and set up a final match for the belts at All Out which should be the final PPV before they start doing TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

I think them winning was the right call. It keeps the storyline open by having the Lucha Bros still chasing their AAA titles. Cards are always subject to change especially with PAC not wrestling last night but The Elite Vs PAC/Lucha Bros is meant to be happening next month where Lucha Bros can get their win back and set up a final match for the belts at All Out which should be the final PPV before they start doing TV.

It's the Bucks vs the Lucha Bros again on June 16th in AAA, titles might switch back there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Why was Bret Hart there and presenting the title? Does he have a role within AEW ?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,636 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So reports that it got 200k PPV buys.

That's pretty damm good if true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

I just finished watching this, I watched it in pieces throughout the day to avoid boredom. Much like All-In I felt while it was good it was very samey too, more so than All In. Too many tag matches that break down into flips & somersaults etc.. with no real selling in between and the last 3 matches went too long I think. Though I enjoyed parts too, the two women's matches & the tag title match even if I felt it was too long.

Oh and J.R. with his constant pot shots at WWE was just stupid, ECW, WCW and TNA often did that and only 1 of them is still around and just barely, they should forget abot WWE and focus on themselves I think.

Also Vince McMahon would correctly never let Chris Jericho or almost anyone (bar Cena or Roman maybe) use that shítty looking elbow as a finishing move. His bosses should have a word but they probably won't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

That seems like a great number, plenty of UFC PPVs don’t do much better than 200k these days, to put that into perspective.

Hopefully they can build on that and use it as a bargaining chip in recruiting more top names down the line.

They must not continue to take shots at WWE to build their brand though. If they forge their own identity and stick to it, they could definitely put a little pressure on WWE to up their game in the long term. That’s still a ways off of course, the quality of their weekly show will be the ultimate measuring stick of their product.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,636 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

ALL OUT in Chicago

Using Punks stars in there promo pic.

D7dIs9dW0AAEQmq.jpg
    CM-Punk-column.png

• Registered Users Posts: 15,273 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

ALL OUT in Chicago

Using Punks stars in there promo pic.

He got them from the city of Chicago flag.

If he was going to return it would be at All Out though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,878 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

martyos121 wrote: »
    That seems like a great number, plenty of UFC PPVs don’t do much better than 200k these days, to put that into perspective.

Hopefully they can build on that and use it as a bargaining chip in recruiting more top names down the line.

They must not continue to take shots at WWE to build their brand though. If they forge their own identity and stick to it, they could definitely put a little pressure on WWE to up their game in the long term. That’s still a ways off of course, the quality of their weekly show will be the ultimate measuring stick of their product.

It's gonna be interesting to say the least to see how they take to producing weekly TV shows. I'm not gonna say it's a piece of cake to produce a PPV but you're not gonna be able to go out every week and have Kenny Omega put on 30min matches, The Bucks and Lucha Bros going all out hitting big moves with loads of near falls etc etc. It's alright for the big shows every now and then like a Takeover because sometimes Takeover is used to end feuds.

Oat23 wrote:
    If he was going to return it would be at All Out though.

If they got Punk, it'd be game on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

I really enjoyed the PPV.

Bit of a shaky start with the Battle Royale and some of the camera work wasn't great throughout the show. JR was surprisingly good on commentary and seemed to really get into it around the Rhodes match but Excalibur was next level, great commentary.

The throne bit was a tad cringy but the fans in the arena ate it up because they (like myself) are tired of the garbage that Vince and co are churning out every week along with the ****ty treatment of workers in WWE so a symbolic "**** you" was cool. They need to draw a line under the attacks on WWE now though, focus on being their own thing.

My favorite match was the Joshi tag, despite the **** up on the ending. Kenny is supposedly pushing for Joshi to be a big part of the show and they are negotiating with 3 feds in Japan for talent swaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Better look at the AEW World Championship.

D7eG36NV4AEPoYP.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

The more I see of the belt the more I’m not sure of it but I’ll wait to see better quality photos to make a full judgement

Knowing America the way it is at the minute politically that’ll alienate half its fan base and wrestlers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

Decided to give it a watch.
    Just seemed like high budget indie show to me. I didn't get to learn anything about the characters, just match after match with the same type of moves. Hokey looking move set ups, dives to the outside, the crowd responding to everything with applause rather than booing and cheering.

And I still don't get Cody Rhodes. He doesn't look tough, he doesn't have a gimmick other than wearing a suit and trying to sound cool, although his lisp is still noticeable.

And I don't think many people will give two shiny sh1ts about fka Dean Ambrose showing up on the show, other than the people already watching the show. By which I mean, it's not going to draw anyone back to wrestling who stopped watching. Ambrose was never up to much in WWE.

There was a whole air of "we've arrived" from the entire thing. Especially Cody and the Bucks. A sickly sense of needless solemnity that takes you out of the moment.
    Pat yourselves on the back when you get backstage, lads. I don't care about your journey. Every millennial loves to whine about their journey these days.
    I watch wrestling to see tough guys settle their differences, not this nonsense.

sky88 wrote: »
    Knowing America the way it is at the minute politically that’ll alienate half its fan base and wrestlers

Genuinely do wonder how'd they react knowing there's a Transgender wrestler on AEW's books.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Genuinely do wonder how'd they react knowing there's a Transgender wrestler on AEW's books.

Yea I’ve been wondering myself kinda feel like there ignoring the wrestler.

sirmanga wrote: »
    Ambrose was never up to much in WWE.

You've just perfectly explained why AEW will actually be a big thing.

Ambrose was never up to much in WWE because they only used him and Rollins to prop up THE ROCKS COUSIN!1111!!!!11111 for years despite the fact that both of them are much better workers than Roman will ever be.

Ambrose left WWE because he was sick of everything about the company. He pretty much lied to them and told them that he wasn't re-signing because he was tired of wrestling and then instantly jumped ship to a company that wasn't run by a sociopath.

WWE is going to steadily bleed talent over the next few years once peoples contracts start running out. All AEW needs to do is pick up the decent workers and avoid dumpster fires like Lesnar and they'll be in the top position in 5-10 years.

Yea I’ve been wondering myself kinda feel like there ignoring the wrestler.

I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else, but it's probably best left alone and to focus on the wrestler and ability, rather than constantly hammer the fact of oh yeah there's a Transgender on our books.

Though I think it's cool they're open to the LGBTQI community.

• Advertisement

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Though I think it's cool they're open to the LGBTQI community.

It's pretty awesome compared to the competitions position of "take money from a nation that literally executes gay people for being gay".

lawlolawl wrote: »

Ambrose was never up to much in WWE because they only used him and Rollins to prop up THE ROCKS COUSIN!1111!!!!11111 for years despite the fact that both of them are much better workers than Roman will ever be.

Ambrose left WWE because he was sick of everything about the company. He pretty much lied to them and told them that he wasn't re-signing because he was tired of wrestling and then instantly jumped ship to a company that wasn't run by a sociopath.

WWE is going to steadily bleed talent over the next few years once peoples contracts start running out. All AEW needs to do is pick up the decent workers and avoid dumpster fires like Lesnar and they'll be in the top position in 5-10 years.

Moxley also didn’t show up in the ring when it mattered always remember Rollins was behind both when they first debuted but rose ahead of moxley. And let’s not forget that horrendous appearance on stone cold podcast.

Wwe definitely dropped ball a little bit but think it’s on him too

• Registered Users Posts: 13,811 ✭✭✭✭briany

This is all a bit presumptive. TNA used to be in the same position - it had money behind it, it had a big name as the figurehead, it was scooping up disaffected WWE guys, it had exciting talent from the indies. And it still flopped (comparative to the hype, I mean). Just saying that it's very early days, and talk of AEW putting it up the WWE or whatever is beyond premature. Once the buzz settles and they have to get the people in the buildings every week, and to tune in on TV, and to buy the merch, and everything else, then we'll see how it's really doing.

AEW cannot trade primarily on doing great pro wrsstling. No wrestling company can. Personalities and stories are by far the most important thing. They are what makes the actual wrestling important. AEW can't depend on smarks showing up each week, holding up placards that say '10', or '9' when a wrestler performs a sweet fisherman suplex.

briany wrote: »
    This is all a bit presumptive. TNA used to be in the same position - it had money behind it, it had a big name as the figurehead, it was scooping up disaffected WWE guys, it had exciting talent from the indies. And it still flopped (comparative to the hype, I mean). Just saying that it's very early days, and talk of AEW putting it up the WWE or whatever is beyond premature. Once the buzz settles and they have to get the people in the buildings every week, and to tune in on TV, and to buy the merch, and everything else, then we'll see how it's really doing.

AEW cannot trade primarily on doing great pro wrsstling. No wrestling company can. Personalities and stories are by far the most important thing. They are what makes the actual wrestling important. AEW can't depend on smarks showing up each week, holding up placards that say '10', or '9' when a wrestler performs a sweet fisherman suplex.

AEW have already run 2 shows bigger than anything TNA ever did (7200) and they aren't even on TV yet.

Their PPV apparently did over 200k buys at a frankly overpriced $50 with more buyers than some UFC events that are held in the very same arena they worked last night.

WWE TV ratings have been dying for the past couple of years and their new TV deals are honestly completely baffling. I can see Raw and Smackdown getting booted off their new channels long before their deals run out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

That was a pretty good show tbh.
    Opener was real good, as was the Joshi 6 women tag.
    The women's 4 way & Best Friends vs Angelico & Evans could have been better.
    Cody vs Dustin was good even if Dustin bled like he was dishorned bull.
    Omega vs Jericho was pretty good too even if it was a bit below the dome match. The Judas Effect looks slow but painful, could do with turning his opponent into it better.
    Moxley's name being chanted on his debut was a good sign that the fanbase is committed to your product too.
    Lucha Bros vs Young Bucks was outstanding. Very few tag matches near that level recently. Maybe only the Lucha Bros vs LAX or Golden Lovers vs Tanahashi & Ospreay.
    Excalibur was really good on commentary too; he's miles ahead of nearly everyone else in America after only one night. JRs level was brought up by him, more than I ever expected.

AEW have already run 2 shows bigger than anything TNA ever did (7200) and they aren't even on TV yet.

Their PPV apparently did over 200k buys at a frankly overpriced $50 with more buyers than some UFC events that are held in the very same arena they worked last night.

WWE TV ratings have been dying for the past couple of years and their new TV deals are honestly completely baffling. I can see Raw and Smackdown getting booted off their new channels long before their deals run out.

We’re are you seeing the numbers for the ppvs?? I have seen nothing from usually reporters

We’re are you seeing the numbers for the ppvs?? I have seen nothing from usually reporters

http://whatculture.com/wwe/aew-double-or-nothing-34-beats-200k-buys-34

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

briany wrote: »
    This is all a bit presumptive. TNA used to be in the same position - it had money behind it, it had a big name as the figurehead, it was scooping up disaffected WWE guys, it had exciting talent from the indies. And it still flopped (comparative to the hype, I mean).

Tony Khan is not Dixie Carter, I don't see AEW making near the same mistakes.
    Just saying that it's very early days, and talk of AEW putting it up the WWE or whatever is beyond premature. Once the buzz settles and they have to get the people in the buildings every week, and to tune in on TV, and to buy the merch, and everything else, then we'll see how it's really doing.

Well they can't compete with WWE, so it's not just premature, it's simply unrealistic. But you're right, where they are in 6 - 12 months will give us a far more accurate prediction of how they'll do.

Off a single show, with no TV build, I saw strong evidence last night they'll cater to a mix of wrestling styles, personality (MJF's promo, Jericho's promo) and stories (The Rhodes feud, Moxley running amok, etc.)

I hope this formats properly, a 90 second Jon Moxley promo shot on iPhone. It's also racked up a whole lot views since it was posted.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AEWrestling/status/1132859918338236418

• Advertisement

Advertisement