Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,169 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I don't know why wrestling keeps doing pseudo-MMA stuff. TNA Jeff "MMA enthusiast" Jarrett, NXT fight pit, Raw Underground, that rubbish last night, all shìte.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,275 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

That interview to me was saying Vickie was just introducing Andrade not managing him.

Vickie and Andrade El Idolo have a surprise.

https://twitter.com/TheaTrinidad/status/1406094157576347650?s=20

Really hope this is the case, i just don't want vickie near him
    CastorTroy wrote: »
    Of course they call Jade's agent Smart Mark.

Cody didn't look too happy with Brock winning. Though neither did Brock really.
    Expected a big emotional promo beforehand about his daughter.

Taped show so the baby wasnt born yet

I love the mid card storylines and I think it's a big thing that had me hooked in the attitude era. The Wingmen are gas and Peter holding a fallen Bononi's head at the end was hilarious.

Still a weak Friday show overall, hoping next week allows them to pick it up properly again.

Yes that was superb by Peter, laughed so much at that.

What have the ratings been like the last couple of weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,598 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

What have the ratings been like the last couple of weeks?

500k region.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭ThePott

J. Marston wrote: »
    I don't know why wrestling keeps doing pseudo-MMA stuff. TNA Jeff "MMA enthusiast" Jarrett, NXT fight pit, Raw Underground, that rubbish last night, all shìte.
    I actually like the Fight Pit, I think it's a nice middle ground and still basically just feels like a normal match in a cell with an open roof. I like that it's a gimmick for a specific wrestler too. The rest can get in the bin though.

I don't full on hate the style, I just don't get the reasoning. If you're not an MMA fan I'm not sure what you'd get out of it. If you are an MMA fan (even a casual one like me) then it's just watered down nonsense, I could just watch UFC if I wanted to.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1405597731243057161

$699.99 World Championship Replica Title Belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭Monokne

I absolutely hate worked MMA matches in professional wrestling. ****ing awful! Even bloodsport that people rave about, I don't get.

Looking forward to FTR Vs Santana/Ortiz whenever it happens.

Miro has really turned it around recently. He's brilliant!

I'd say the quality will pick up from next week. Saturday is in front of a live audience and the Wednesday after will be a farewell to Daily's place after 14 months so I'd say they'll put on a strong show. Can't wait to see them get out of Daily's and back into arenas though.

MMA is what pro wrestling would be if it were not a work so I think some talent and fans prefer the idea of making a wrestling match as close to a real fight as possible. Whereas obviously some prefer a wrestling match to be a cirque de soleil performance like the Bucks v Lucha Bros. I guess it takes all sorts.

Monokne wrote: »
    MMA is what pro wrestling would be if it were not a work so I think some talent and fans prefer the idea of making a wrestling match as close to a real fight as possible. Whereas obviously some prefer a wrestling match to be a cirque de soleil performance like the Bucks v Lucha Bros. I guess it takes all sorts.

What people need to remember is that for the most part MMA can be pretty feckin boring to watch. Making it a work and matches always going 5+ minutes and 20+ in the undercard would be intolerable.

What people need to remember is that for the most part MMA can be pretty feckin boring to watch. Making it a work and matches always going 5+ minutes and 20+ in the undercard would be intolerable.

What you are actually saying is you personally find MMA boring to watch.

There are millions of people around the world who enjoy MMA immensely.

Cirque de soleil can be pretty boring to watch as well after a while.

What you are actually saying is you personally find MMA boring to watch.

There are millions of people around the world who enjoy MMA immensely.

Cirque de soleil can be pretty boring to watch as well after a while.

Sure start a worked MMA promotion and make millions.

Not that many people watch MMA (it's big for a few top stars) and far, far fewer would watch worked MMA. Look at how small BJJ and wrestling are. Without the chance of KOs MMAs would be tiny and worked MMA would necessitate long matches.
    Watching intricately tactical and skilfully performed grappling doesn't appeal to all that many people, knowing it's fake would make it even more niche. The lack of selling in most matches now kills the business, selling is even harder when someone is actually on top of you the entire time.

• Advertisement

Sure start a worked MMA promotion and make millions.

Not that many people watch MMA (it's big for a few top stars) and far, far fewer would watch worked MMA. Look at how small BJJ and wrestling are. Without the chance of KOs MMAs would be tiny and worked MMA would necessitate long matches.
    Watching intricately tactical and skilfully performed grappling doesn't appeal to all that many people, knowing it's fake would make it even more niche. The lack of selling in most matches now kills the business, selling is even harder when someone is actually on top of you the entire time.

I did not suggest starting a worked MMA promotion.

I suggested that your "MMA is boring" statement was - and is - clearly just a personal opinion presented as fact.

I don't know if a more realistic pro wrestling style would have prevented the business becoming so much more niche and the audience dwindling so much over the past 15 years, but I do know that the cirque de soleil route has grown massively at the same time as pro wrestlings popularity has dipped.

The only major example of a pro wrestling promotion building a match as a worked MMA fight on a reasonably big scale was the Joe-Angle Lockdown match, which was their second biggest PPV of all time. But I don't think you could build a whole promotion around that on a national scale.

I did not suggest starting a worked MMA promotion.

I suggested that your "MMA is boring" statement was - and is - clearly just a personal opinion presented as fact.
    Quote me on that please. Show me that exact quote. Please. Because you're arguing with something I didn't say.
    MMA can be boring. Anything can be boring. And for the vast majority of viewers they're interested in a main event only, maybe 2 fights if there's a big one. Look how sparse the crowds are at the start of a UFC main card.
    I don't know if a more realistic pro wrestling style would have prevented the business becoming so much more niche and the audience dwindling so much over the past 15 years, but I do know that the cirque de soleil route has grown massively at the same time as pro wrestlings popularity has dipped.
    I do wonder how much could have been done to keep the popularity up. Once MMA grew then there's an argument (not one I fully buy) that the business was completely exposed so there was no point trying to go realistic again. It's obvious that the gymnastic routines haven't helped. All that's left is a small niche of fans. For now there's enough to keep things afloat, I'd be interested how many there are in the say 12-20 age group to replace the 25-40 year old marks keeping things afloat with merch etc.
    The only major example of a pro wrestling promotion building a match as a worked MMA fight on a reasonably big scale was the Joe-Angle Lockdown match, which was their second biggest PPV of all time. But I don't think you could build a whole promotion around that on a national scale.
    Was that really worked MMA though? Off the top of my head it started as a tough man thing and went Pro Wrestling fairly quick. I still remember Angle headbutting Joe, great stuff.
    Worked MMA (as in trying to make it look like a real MMA fight) wouldn't have Olympic Slams, Ankle Locks, Muscle Busters or anything involving the ropes. It pretty much can't work.

I'm going to throw it out there

Miro the best thing in wrestling at the moment, damn this guy is ****ing awesome

I love that he comes down to help Penelope even though he's responsible for Kip's injury, he's just screwed up in the head at the moment

Gods favorite wrestler

No doubt about it

Headshot wrote: »

Miro the best thing in wrestling at the moment, damn this guy is ****ing awesome

I love that he comes down to help Penelope even though he's responsible for Kip's injury, he's just screwed up in the head at the moment

Gods favorite wrestler

No doubt about it

He's been brilliant. My only worry is that American hero Cody Rhodes will beat him for the title! I'll give up watching if it happens :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Gods favorite wrestler

No doubt about it

Miro's current character reminds me of Bobby Kent in Larry Clark's film Bully. I think his arc might end in a similar fashion too.

I purchased an AEW Logo Zip Hoodie recently from the USA AEW store

Was shipped today so it will be interesting when it will be delivered. I reckon 2 months

Received this today

Kinda shocked I did not expect to get this so quickly from USA

Received this today

Kinda shocked I did not expect to get this so quickly from USA
    Is there any chance they shipped it from their 'Global' Store?
    Not sure where that's based though.

ThePott wrote: »
    Is there any chance they shipped it from their 'Global' Store?
    Not sure where that's based though.

nope

The address on the parcel says Chicago

Wow that is very impressive. Were you hit with any custom charges or anything?

• Advertisement

ThePott wrote: »
    Wow that is very impressive. Were you hit with any custom charges or anything?

Nope nothing

Sweet, that's unreal. I might have to finally buy some AEW merch in that case haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Shipping to and from the US is surprisingly fast at the moment. I'm always getting stuff sent from home and the record so far has been something sent on a Friday that reached me here in Seattle on Tuesday. Couldn't believe it!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,598 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The AEW investment into the video games wasn't just an investment in there own game it was actually a $20m investment into Epic Games which even if there own game doesn't hit a $20m investment in Epic will print money long term.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The AEW investment into the video games wasn't just an investment in there own game it was actually a $20m investment into Epic Games which even if there own game doesn't hit a $20m investment in Epic will print money long term.

Game studios are only ever a couple of bad releases away from going under. So the printing money long term comment is a bit presumptuous.

I think I was saying on here even before it was revealed the size of the investment that I think it's a risky venture. I'm not entirely sure 20 million was the sum total either as they're still in production. I want an amazing wrestling game but even if it is great I still think it is quite niche. I don't know how much of a casual audience is going to pick it up and I don't know whether AEW have a big enough fanbase to make it a success on them alone.

I hope I'm wrong, to me though I wonder if the wrestlers just want a game and Tony has enough money that he can be strung along and not mind it. They can well afford the loss but I just wonder on purely financial terms if this is a good investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,169 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Epic don't seem to rely on game releases for survival. They're half-owned by a colossal Chinese multinational, their main game is Fortnite which is basically free money and they get royalties from their game engine.

They have lost hundreds of millions on Epic Game Store but they're making billions overall so it probably isn't that big of a deal for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Could imagine being a wrestler getting a call to be on Dark.
    "Great I'll get a chance to show what I can do in the ring"
    "You'll be facing Lance Archer"
    "Ah, crap!"

You should change your name to 'PR Agent Coulson' for all the blindly good pub you give AEW :D

• Advertisement

I think it's a disgrace that AEW are investing directly in a company mostly owned by a Chinese corporation.

:pac:

Advertisement