Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,273 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I watched all of the post-PPV interviews last night and I really like that they are doing that. I don't think WWE do unless they started in the past year or two? Really enjoyable to watch.

Also, that MJF guy is brilliant. This interview with him in-character for the whole thing was good. Had never heard of him before Saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

lawlolawl wrote: »
    Ambrose was never up to much in WWE because they only used him and Rollins to prop up THE ROCKS COUSIN!1111!!!!11111 for years despite the fact that both of them are much better workers than Roman will ever be.

:rolleyes:

Ambrose is an awful worker. Even the best can scarcely get a good match out of him. Roman outgrew him in ring big time in the last 2-3 years.

Ambrose is one of those who lived off the WWE's awful booking. It allowed people to look past how terrible he is and lay all the blame on WWE. He will be exposed for what he is without the shadow of WWE and once the initial hype dies down people will quickly grow sick of him again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Looks like Moxley is off to
    NJPW to face Juice

• Registered Users Posts: 13,811 ✭✭✭✭briany

correction wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Ambrose is an awful worker. Even the best can scarcely get a good match out of him. Roman outgrew him in ring big time in the last 2-3 years.

Ambrose is one of those who lived off the WWE's awful booking. It allowed people to look past how terrible he is and lay all the blame on WWE. He will be exposed for what he is without the shadow of WWE and once the initial hype dies down people will quickly grow sick of him again.

Liked the paradigm shift promo a lot. At the same time, how many disaffected WWE wrestlers have jumped ship to no. 2 and cut a promo that had a go at their former employers while proclaiming how they and their new employers were going to set the world on fire? Answer: more than just Jon Moxley.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,636 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Whether it works out or not at least Moxley had the balls to walk away from the WWE.

Most who leave/left in the last number of years have been sacked or let go.

He could have quiet easily sat there taking paycheck after paycheck like Ziggler and others especially since his wife also works with the WWE.

The same can be said for Pac.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Whether it works out or not at least Moxley had the balls to walk away from the WWE.

He could have quiet easily sat there taking paycheck after paycheck like Ziggler and others especially since his wife also works with the WWE.

is it really that much balls walking from one multi million dollar contract to another.

as much as im not a fan of him it took more balls of cody and pac to walk away from wwe when there wasnt a company offering the same amount of money

Interesting that hes been announce on the indies against AEW guys i would have thought they would want 1st time matches saved for there own events

Yes.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

sky88 wrote: »
    is it really that much balls walking from one multi million dollar contract to another.

It is in the sense that WWE is constant and will still be there in another 10 years... will AEW last 5 years, or 10 years, is still very much unknown...

Loughc wrote: »
    It is in the sense that WWE is constant and will still be there in another 10 years... will AEW last 5 years, or 10 years, is still very much unknown...

well the way some fans are going on wwe wont last another 10 years. i see what you mean in that sense but AEW is backed by people who are richer than vince and have a geniune love of wrestling which panda who owned TNA never had so even i think this would have to get kicked off TNT very quickly not to last years.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

sky88 wrote: »
    AEW is backed by people who are richer than vince so even i think this would have to get kicked off TNT not to last years.

And those people backing it have no loyalty to it, it's a plaything for one of the sons but first chance to move on to the next thing they will and then it would die a death, for Vince his life is wrestling, he made his money there, that's all he knows.

The AEW backers made their money elsewhere, the passion isn't there. It won't last the long haul as it is now, IMO, it'll be a TNA/Impact Wrestling style company well within the 10 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

Ziggler is the worst of them. He used to frequently talk about doing this that and the other thing.

Although I do think Ambrose's talent is well below his status I do admire anyone who backs their own ability.

One thing that puzzles me about AEW is how Rhodes, the Young Bucks and Kenny Omega have all been made EVPs. It's strange, because they're all fully active talents, and I know that many active roster guys do eventually transition into backstage/executive roles, but it's usually not until they're both veterans and winding down in the ring. Being both one of the boys, and the office is not a recommended mixture, I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Manning3000

I really enjoyed Double or Nothing.
    Rhodes vs Rhodes was great, the throne breaking at the time was great looking back now its a bit cringe.
    Fully OK with Jericho winning.
    The 3 final matches were great.
    My main issue is it was just too long, it should'nt be 5 hours nearly including they buy in.
    I liked all the matches but some stuff could have been taken off the card The best friends match maybe the belt presentation.
    But one of the worse things with WWE is the length of shows its an easy win to give us three solid hours.
    I thought the production looked great a big step up from All In, even compare it to the Supercard in MSG and AEW looked much more professional.
    Commentary was OK Excalibur brought out the best of JR but the third guy was not good.

Bring on the TV show.

briany wrote: »
    One thing that puzzles me about AEW is how Rhodes, the Young Bucks and Kenny Omega have all been made EVPs. It's strange, because they're all fully active talents, and I know that many active roster guys do eventually transition into backstage/executive roles, but it's usually not until they're both veterans and winding down in the ring. Being both one of the boys, and the office is not a recommended mixture, I thought.

i think when the company is fully up and running it will cause trouble when egos start butting but thats were they need a someone higher like khan to step in and make decisions but we all know with wrestlers running the show and wrestling they generally stay on top. will be interesting to see how this pans out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Looks like Moxley is off to
    NJPW to face Juice

Another **** you to Vince considering how poorly
    Juice was handled in NXT.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

As someone who's never watched that much indie wrestling I enjoyed the show. I did see All In and the last few WrestleKingdoms so was familiar with some of the talent.

I was entertained by the battle royal but thought there was a bit too much comedy/freakshow type stuff considering it was for a world title shot. Also the "omg he won, no wait wrestler x never got eliminated" finish has been done to death

Thought MJF was a real standout on the night

The Rhodes brothers match and bucks match were top notch

One criticism I have is that they're potentially putting the belt on Jericho, surely it'd make more sense to put it on the younger guys who've not been associated with WWE for 90% of their careers?

I'll definitely be watching their next show anyhow

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

NDWC wrote: »
    As someone who's never watched that much indie wrestling I enjoyed the show. I did see All In and the last few WrestleKingdoms so was familiar with some of the talent.

I was entertained by the battle royal but thought there was a bit too much comedy/freakshow type stuff considering it was for a world title shot. Also the "omg he won, no wait wrestler x never got eliminated" finish has been done to death

Thought MJF was a real standout on the night

The Rhodes brothers match and bucks match were top notch

One criticism I have is that they put the belt on Jericho, surely it would've made more sense to put it on the younger guy who's not been associated with WWE for 90% of his career?

I'll definitely be watching their next show anyhow

They havent put the title on him tho? Its him vs Hangman at a later date which will prob be All Out?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I think it'll be Hangman who's gonna be the first AEW World Champion.

I think 100% it’ll be Jericho as champion going into the 1st tv show I have a feeling tnt will want that as the most recognisable name but he loses to kenny/moxley on the 1st show

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

They havent put the title on him tho? Its him vs Hangman at a later date which will prob be All Out?

Well that's embarrassing, in my defence I was tired by the end of the show and I hadn't followed the buildup closely. I still think Omega should've gone over though.

Now to edit that post before anyone else reads it....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,878 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Don't think they'll put the belt on Moxley or Kenny that soon but do agree that Jericho will be the inaugural champion so casual viewers will recognise who the champ is when they start doing TV shows.

Think it be better to have Page chase Jericho for the belt and then win it rather than be the inaugural champion. After Page is champion for awhile have him feud with Moxley while using Kenny to help put over MJF in a feud whose gonna be a massive star in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Jericho winning makes sense as they can do Kenny V Jericho trilogy which Kenny will win. Jericho now goes off against Hangman Page, while Moxley v Omega is next natural fued.

Few thoughts, some folks need to up their ring gear big time Chuck Taylor looks embarrassing Jack Evans, Jungle Boy, Nyla Rose also had terrible gear. Tommy Dreamer gets a pass because he isn't trying to make an impression. It just brings whole product down

There undercard doesn't look that strong you got Elite , Lucha Bros, Jericho and then a massive drop in quality. Havoc will be fun when allowed to let loose, but lacks in promos. Looking forward to seeing more ace romero.

Was good event with 3 great matches, nice seeing blood again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Sirsok wrote: »
    There undercard doesn't look that strong you got Elite , Lucha Bros, Jericho and then a massive drop in quality.

They can still just bring in Indy talent that hasn't signed for short term stuff or jobber roles, no need to just clog up the roster and HR with more salaried staff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Anyone catch the great Excalibur call of "bicycle" when Cody did a bicycle kick, harping back to dustys classic call!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭showpony1

I'd have preferred if they had of kept Moxley as an "outsider" type character on the rampage.
    Not sure about having him pose for his Instagram picture with Cody or Saying "anyone who gets in AEW's way" like he is a company man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Loughc wrote: »
    And those people backing it have no loyalty to it, it's a plaything for one of the sons but first chance to move on to the next thing they will and then it would die a death, for Vince his life is wrestling, he made his money there, that's all he knows.

The AEW backers made their money elsewhere, the passion isn't there. It won't last the long haul as it is now, IMO, it'll be a TNA/Impact Wrestling style company well within the 10 years.

Have you listened to Tony on Chris Jericho’s podcast? I would have a similar level of doubt towards commitment prior to the episode, but wrestling really is the mans life. I could actually see him step away from other ventures should AEW need more attention.

Fulham fans would have said the same thing 18 months ago.

They don't say that today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

They better call Moxleys finishing move Dirt Cheap in AEW

showpony1 wrote: »
    I'd have preferred if they had of kept Moxley as an "outsider" type character on the rampage.
    Not sure about having him pose for his Instagram picture with Cody or Saying "anyone who gets in AEW's way" like he is a company man.

It's not necessarily being a company man that should be a bother - many wrestlers are, and always have been - but that should be for the back. It's more the idea of wrestlers putting their promotion over instead of themselves, like that's the important thing. Like it doesn't really matter what happens so much in a given match as it matters that the overall show is a success. There's something about that which undermines the whole kayfabe of the thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Have you listened to Tony on Chris Jericho’s podcast? I would have a similar level of doubt towards commitment prior to the episode, but wrestling really is the mans life. I could actually see him step away from other ventures should AEW need more attention.

I could actually see him stepping aside from whatever his role is with Fulham Football Club and focusing on AEW full time, as for the podcast in question, he's a right wrestling nerd, being able to rattle off the most obscure of matches from Jericho's career.

I think he surprised even Jericho himself.

And before anyone points out that the most obscure matches of X's career could be rattled off with a quick Google beforehand, the sheer passion in Khan's voice when he did so, that kind of interest, you can't fake or teach that.

Advertisement