Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I find it hard to understand how an old man making a verbal slip is somehow an indication that he has no love for the product or the work - that's simply not true. He's been saying "WWE" for a huge portion of his professional life, it's like a "muscle memory" thing that does, unfortunately, get harder with age to correct (how many of us write the wrong year down in January for example?). I do find it bizarre that people are so bent out of shape and offended at an old man making a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

JR is regularly talking about his time in WWE anyway on his podcast so a slip of the tongue is massively innocuous.....but I'd expect nothing less from our quick to criticize culture these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭Monokne

Bobby Heenan and Ric Flair did this in WCW as well, referring to the WWF. No biggie.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,598 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It's clear as day JR has no real interest in the product he is commentating on he doesn't know the majority talent or their move sets and this is after 18 months week in week out being there on commentary.

Compare him to Tony Schiavone who was out of the wrestling business for the guts of 20 years and has jumped in with both feet and wants to learn and put over the new talent and you can see and hear the joy in his voice week in week out something you rarely get from JR.

I get why he is there he is name value and he maybe great back stage with his knowledge however there was a reason Vince spent years weaning him off TV and only using him on PPV before finally letting him go his best days ended when Austin retired nearly 20 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

It's clear as day JR has no real interest in the product he is commentating on he doesn't know the majority talent or their move sets and this is after 18 months week in week out being there on commentary.

Compare him to Tony Schiavone who was out of the wrestling business for the guts of 20 years and has jumped in with both feet and wants to learn and put over the new talent and you can see and hear the joy in his voice week in week out something you rarely get from JR.

I get why he is there he is name value and he maybe great back stage with his knowledge however there was a reason Vince spent years weaning him off TV and only using him on PPV before finally letting him go his best days ended when Austin retired nearly 20 years ago.

Its not clear at all.

How can be sure he hasnt any memory issues? Any conditions that affect his memory?

My Dad is 71, constantly calls me by my nephews name in error. These things happen with age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,275 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Add to the fact JR publicly burying AEW talent in-ring work in recent times.

I was a fan of him coming on board, he's been great addition to AEW but I certainly wouldnt miss him if he left now.

I don't think it's burying to have a critical comment to make of someone on the roster. It adds to his authenticity IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

To be fair, he's much better than the times I've seen him doing things like NJPW or even more recent WWE shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Delighted Ricky Starks is cleared for Texas show. Cant wait to see how the crowd react to him. Hope hes able to perform.

Anyone fancy a Miro and Brian Cage feud for a TNT title?

Starks is an exciting prospect and felt that when watching him on Powerr, but I think Cage should come out on top in the feud and go on to feud with Miro.

• Advertisement

Great to see Frankie Kazarian get a real main event run after so many year he totally deserves this and The Elite Hunter gimmick if run correctly over the coming months could be the best thing AEW have done.

Ogogo is back in England after having the 10th surgery on his eye.

https://twitter.com/AnthonyOgogo/status/1410989409743388676?s=20

i wondering where he was

10th surgery? My god that's tough going

• Registered Users Posts: 5 lovebump

I used to be a big watcher of wrestling back in the day but it went to the dogs not too long after Vinny Mac purchased WCW and ECW.

Wrestling this past 2 decades seems to be stuck in 80s super hero / cartoon time loop .

Fightful select are reporting that Zelina Vega re-signed with WWE so we can rule her out being Andrade's surprise.

Sorry marked the above as a spoiler because it relates to Smackdown last night in the end.

ah bollocks

God i hope Andrade gets someone else instead of Vickie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Great to see Frankie Kazarian get a real main event run after so many year he totally deserves this and The Elite Hunter gimmick if run correctly over the coming months could be the best thing AEW have done.

For it to work he'll have to tangibly contribute to the Elite's demise, otherwise what's the point? Clotheslining Cutler isn't enough to justify the gimmick change imo.

https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1411151464890830848
    AEW GM @TonyKhan has just declared that the World Tag Team Title match at #RoadRager THIS Wednesday in Miami will be a STREET FIGHT! It promises to be an epic title fight Wednesday on #AEWDynamite

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

For it to work he'll have to tangibly contribute to the Elite's demise, otherwise what's the point? Clotheslining Cutler isn't enough to justify the gimmick change imo.

Yeah that's what I was thinking too, I find it hard to imagine that he'll be getting too many wins over anyone other than Cutler

Headshot wrote: »
    ah bollocks

God i hope Andrade gets someone else instead of Vickie

I'd even take Alex Abrahantes tbh as a mouth piece like with Penta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

I'd even take Alex Abrahantes tbh as a mouth piece like with Penta.

Abrahamtes' extremely dorky superfan aesthetic wouldn't mesh with Andrade at all.

Abrahamtes' extremely dorky superfan aesthetic wouldn't mesh with Andrade at all.

Probably right. Suppose I'd just take anything to get him away from Vickie.

He did interview him this week

Ain't Andrade and Kenny having a match in Mexico? Bit weird having them on Dynamite and not interacting.

Ain't Andrade and Kenny having a match in Mexico? Bit weird having them on Dynamite and not interacting.

I thought that match is happening in Daily's place

Bring CJ in as Andrade's mouthpiece and have him go after Miro :pac:

Andrade really does need a good valet/manager is there anyone in AAA that could be used?

Lio Rush as mouthpiece /manager would be ideal if he wanted to stay in wrestling not just for Andrade but for quiet a few talent jumping between promotions.

CJ gave Miro the Terminator for his 30th birthday yesterday.

https://twitter.com/ToBeMiro/status/1411407018464788483?s=20

• Advertisement

It's Terminator 2's 30th anniversary they're celebrating.

On another note, that doesn't exactly make me feel young

Advertisement