Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

decent for a brand new company im not sure what people were expecting as i think its hard to judge as ppv is so different these days

https://twitter.com/prowrestling/status/1134385530966200320?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Is that US only, I wonder

CastorTroy wrote: »

i would guess so

• Registered Users Posts: 8,878 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

CastorTroy wrote: »

https://twitter.com/jedigoodman/status/1134392993316630529

Same Twitter is claiming that mech at the live was probably somewhere in the 120k - 130k ballpark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

They could certainly do with getting a name in but there's not too many of those in wrestling anymore. You'd assume the biggest star they could tempt is Orton. A motivated Orton I do believe is someone who could move the needle tbf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,878 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

correction wrote: »
    They could certainly do with getting a name in but there's not too many of those in wrestling anymore. You'd assume the biggest star they could tempt is Orton. A motivated Orton I do believe is someone who could move the needle tbf.

I'd like to see Orton wrestle somewhere besides WWE but I don't think he'd be one to turn his back on the WWE and he's probably on great money as it is and WWE can afford to up his wages even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

correction wrote: »

Not many in pro-wrestling as you said, but a high profile MMA star who wants to get into pro-wrestling would move the needle if they can pull it off. Daniel Cormier, Cain Velasquez and Cyborg have all spoken about stepping into the ring at some point (among others), AEW surely have the resources to poach one if the opportunity ever arises, but WWE is usually the only option any major crossover stars look at.

As for wrestlers, Orton and the Good Brothers would be a decent start. The only true game-changer they could realistically sign is CM Punk, and even that’s quite the long shot. He’d be expensive too, but that kind of draw instantly turns 100k buys into >300k. It’s unlikely he’ll ever come back to wrestling at this stage, but AEW is the obvious destination if he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

martyos121 wrote:
    Not many in pro-wrestling as you said, but a high profile MMA star who wants to get into pro-wrestling would move the needle if they can pull it off. Daniel Cormier, Cain Velasquez and Cyborg have all spoken about stepping into the ring at some point (among others), AEW surely have the resources to poach one if the opportunity ever arises, but WWE is usually the only option any major crossover stars look at.

Velasquez will wrestle for AAA later in the summer. Given his injury record I don't think he's got much of a future in it & that match may not even happen.
    Personally think Cormier & Cyborg would only use it as leverage to get a deal with WWE. I think DC was meant to have a tryout with WWE as a commentator at some point. Cyborg it makes sense for her to wrestle Rousey as (thankfully for Ronda) she never got that fight in UFC, her UFC contract is up soon so we'll see then.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,636 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Cyborg was at Double or Nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

Impressed by that PPV number. For context, TNA did roughly 60,000 PPV buys for their two biggest shows of all time, and their rank and file were in the 20 - 30k range. That was when they'd a million - million & a half viewers weekly on national TV.

To do 100k and sell out the MGM grand with nothing but the internet is a really good start.

I am still not sure there's enough people to sustain big enough numbers on TNT that they'll end up with a TV deal that's enough to sustain them after the first one expires, but they are firing on all cylinders so far.

I do still get the impression that there's at least an element of hardcore WWE fans wanting them to fail, which seems odd. If anything can shake Vince from his stupor, this may be it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Also with no house shows, it seems like another WCW model, less work same or more pay, which can only be enticing for someone like Orton who has been on the road for past 17-18 years. An RKO is a flat back bump which hurts him more then his oppoenent!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Sirsok wrote:
    Also with no house shows, it seems like another WCW model, less work same or more pay, which can only be enticing for someone like Orton who has been on the road for past 17-18 years. An RKO is a flat back bump which hurts him more then his oppoenent!

Ah if WWE stay cancelling the Smackdown house shows I'm sure the number of dates they work will be close sooner or later :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

martyos121 wrote: »
    but that kind of draw instantly turns 100k buys into >300k. It’s unlikely he’ll ever come back to wrestling at this stage, but AEW is the obvious destination if he does.

I know we're arguing hypotheticals but I think the fans who would still be interested in Punk would already be tuned into AEW, I don't see him being a needle pusher of that sort at all

I didn't buy or watch any of Double or Nothing myself, but Moxley vs Omega has me interested down the line when it happens after his jump from WWE and the podcast too

• Registered Users Posts: 38,384 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Only catching this now and have too say really enjoyed it and will deff tune in for the future. Awesome in parts but weak a production values and some guys were too "look at me wwe, I'm better than you'

I will always be a wwe guy and will never stop watching it. Would love if they could work together in some way in the future. Love wrestling no matter what promotion it is

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

sirmanga wrote: »
    Decided to give it a watch.
    Just seemed like high budget indie show to me. I didn't get to learn anything about the characters, just match after match with the same type of moves. Hokey looking move set ups, dives to the outside, the crowd responding to everything with applause rather than booing and cheering.

And I still don't get Cody Rhodes. He doesn't look tough, he doesn't have a gimmick other than wearing a suit and trying to sound cool, although his lisp is still noticeable.

And I don't think many people will give two shiny sh1ts about fka Dean Ambrose showing up on the show, other than the people already watching the show. By which I mean, it's not going to draw anyone back to wrestling who stopped watching. Ambrose was never up to much in WWE.

There was a whole air of "we've arrived" from the entire thing. Especially Cody and the Bucks. A sickly sense of needless solemnity that takes you out of the moment.
    Pat yourselves on the back when you get backstage, lads. I don't care about your journey. Every millennial loves to whine about their journey these days.
    I watch wrestling to see tough guys settle their differences, not this nonsense.
    Great post.

Especially the last paragraph. So true.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Who will be there surprise big name signing for the live debut of the TV show?

Answers on a postcard.

Punk in before anyone :)

I don't know if it will work this side of the world.

Bleacher Report will be streaming Fyter Fest for free on there site.

https://screenrant.com/aew-fyter-fest-stream-free/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Who will be there surprise big name signing for the live debut of the TV show?

Answers on a postcard.

Punk in before anyone :)

That's not gonna happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    That's not gonna happen.

Punk seems like the perfect fit to drink the Y2J juice and say F U to WWE

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Punk seems like the perfect fit to drink the Y2J juice and say F U to WWE

in fairness jericho just tries to suck up to the disgruntled fans by criticizing them punk genuinely hates the company and the people who run it.

i just dont think hell come back ever hes just done with wrestling

I think Punk will have a run in AEW before he goes back to WWE.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Manning3000

So Fyter Fest is being streamed free on Bleacher Report Live.

Can we get this here or is there another way for us to watch it in Ireland.

Im going to Chicago for this. Is there a presale for tickets or will it be just luck of the draw come Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Glad to see Yuka Sakazaki back for Fyter Fest, hopefully she joins permanently like Hikaru, she's done some really good stuff in Tokyo Joshi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Moxley vs Omega announced for All Out.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

Fair play to them that's a great match to announce the day before tickets go on sale. Interested to see how that goes tomorrow.

• Advertisement

I think they'll do another instant sellout. There's no reason to think the demand will be any less than in May. Chicago is a good area to have a show thats going to draw a lot of fly in's.

To be honest, I don't think they're really going to start to struggle to draw until they're on TNT and doing weekly shows. Given how badly Vince is struggling to move tickets, I would be amazed if they don't have issues. I think they should run 2 - 5k seat buildings.

Advertisement