Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,601 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Kingston loving coming out to 15k fans

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

What a great hour of wrestling. This is what I want to see, no forced comedy, no stupid camera cuts just whatever talent you have lined up going out there and having matches. It doesn't need to be complicated. Pro wrestling was built on actual in ring competition without unnecessarily complicating it. Build up characters properly then let them go at it. Don't over think it.

Daniel bryan show up will be incredible. Lads punk is seriously probably the best of all time along with the rock, stone cold and ric flair.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Don't want to look like the bleachers guy but I am so happy right now. CM Punk coming back in AEW is unreal. His journey isn't over and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next.

His dig at WWE was great 😂 I usually stream the events.

I will buy the AEW events from now on.

Fuck Vince

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

It was great. That first 20 minutes of Punk was absolute gold. Left Pro Wrestling in 2005 and returned in 2021..... What... a... dig....

It maybe needed another big moment at the end of the show to balance it out. When it was finished I just had to go back and watch the punk thing again 😂

One thing about AEW they badly need to improve their camera work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

What did ya not like about it?

Admittedly I was half paying attention to it while doing work sh*t on the laptop. but I thought they were a step above wwe for sure.

I saw the seating layout earlier and loved the fact that they had a big block on the floor reserved for a big swinging camera rig. They got some great shots throughout the show

Its 50/50 with the great shots are making it feck as hell

I'm so happy :)

Just an interference from Bryan on the 5th of September would make it complete.

Obviously Bray is signing soon, I'm so happy :)

Best in the **** world

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

cathartic is the word I would put with that.

Even before he spoke you could just see him soaking it all in and so much bitterness and negativity being washed away. It just looked like he was remembering how much he loved Pro Wrestling and getting a reaction from the fans. His lines about leaving ROH being when he left wrestling and that now he was back also really sums up for me how he is the ideal guy for AEW as even though they also do elements of sports entertainment that kind of sums up the difference between the WWE and elsewhere and all the fans who left WWE for similar reasons.

nice touch with the Ice-Cream bars

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Biggest pop ever?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Davy05

Incredible return from Punk. After so long away it would have been easy for that to feel anticlimactic.. but man it was everything you could want it to be and more. Such a hot crowd. Can't wait for Dynamite now to see what happens next. And sure that's what professional wrestling is all about!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I thought it was a pretty classy comment tbh, well as classy as he could be.

It wasn't as if they could disagree with his point that they are not professional wrestling.

Class moment anyway, I popped. That's the second time that's happened recently in a long time. Neither were WWE related which is sad in a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,282 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

My god, that was all kinds of epic. There's somethings in life that leave you speechless and CM Punk coming out to in Chicago to a red red red hot fans is something special.

God I missed him so much and wrestling just got their biggest star back

Absolute adored the comment about finally getting back into a professional wrestling company and I recently posted about CM Punk ice creams, what a nice touch by AEW

Reading through some of the transcript of the AEW media scrum involving TK and CM Punk.

“You know this goes back to one of the appealing things about AEW for me,” Punk began. “It’s a bit of a bummer of a topic. Brodie Lee passes away, right? Come to find out, he was sick, but nobody knew. Nobody said anything to anybody because it’s nobody’s business. Lot of respect for everybody back here.

“Brodie, love Brodie. So, seeing that, there’s something about that, ya know? If that were anywhere else, it would be all over the internet. His poor wife would be having to deal with that. On top of already dealing with this tragic event.”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

The greatest moment in the history of our great sport.

I'm Terry Funk now.

That is what pro wrestling is all about and his first words in a wrestling ring in 7 years put over Britt Barker what a guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Holy s**t! That might be the loudest pop I've ever heard.

• Advertisement

I wonder if Heyman would ever fancy making the jump.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Hopefully not, imo his stick has been the same for years and just bores me with his promos at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

That was absolutely fcuking incredible, what more can you say, goosebumps stuff. You gotta love AEW! Cannot wait for Darby and Punk.

Also 2.0 and Garcia are absolute quality.

If Tony wants me to go and do the G1 I will do it.

Oh please god Tony ask him to go and take part in the G1.

TK is really high on Garcia at the moment, some talent and to put him together with 2.0 great thinking

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I genuinely don't believe that WWE could have pulled off that moment. It would have been so overproduced and scripted to the point of removing the utter heart out of it. You'd have had Cole screaming over the return, piped in crowd noises, and probably an attempt to deflate the crowd asap in a bid to "swerve" them.

The fact AEW has built itself up to the level they could pull it off so perfectly speaks absolute wonders not just about AEW, but where the pro-wrestling industry is as a whole right now.

The sheer emotion on everyones faces, Punk and the crowd, utter tears of joy. It feels so hyperbolic to say, but AEW is legit making me love wrestling again. I had phased out so much because of WWE's pure antagonism towards its own fanbase that I'd forgotten what happens when you get pro-wrestling done right. Not done in spite of the company's direction, not done because the company was backed into a corner and gave the fans what they wanted while plotting revenge against them, plotting to ruin the big moment and bury their favorite guy out of sheer petty spite....

The line about leaving pro-wrestling in 2005 hits so hard and so deep not because it's a direct attack on WWE, but because WWE themselves don't want to be called pro-wrestling. They don't see themselves as being in the same business as pro-wrestling, which is utterly heart-wrenching when they're the only show in town.

To have AEW openly courting wrestling fans, openly embracing what they want, and creating a show designed to please fans rather than make them feel stupid, that doesn't talk down to fans for wanting to be entertained, for having the sheer audacity to love the world of pro-wrestling....

That was legit one of the greatest moments in pro-wrestling history last night. The reality of it, seeing how much it means for everyone to get Punk back after 7 years, is something I think fans will cherish for a long time. AEW could ride the goodwill from it right to the top of the industry.

And the fact they've still got Bryan loaded in the chamber is insane too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,955 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Watched it this morning, electrifying debut, genuinely made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Signed up for the aew package on Fite too, worth it for a fiver a month.

In two short years aew seem to have learned so much and they are now genuine competition for Vince.

Lost count how many times I've watched this

God it's emotional

The lack of bitterness in his voice really got me. It takes some balls to walk away from security like he did 7 years ago but you could hear it in his voice that it was worth it.

It's an inspiration to anyone facing a crisis in their life and career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭orecir

That was some pop.

AEW better not drop the ball. Got get punk straight into a feud with Omega to keep up this momentum and bring more legitimacy to AEW.

Advertisement