Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just started watching. Good women's match.

I noticed the dude who's always in the front row at NXT these days is in pretty much the same spot here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Loving the long term story telling
    The new stars they are attempting to push
    Darby Allin has a Raven feel to him and it was great to see him work so well last night

Tag divison is stacked

New commentary guy I hope is a long term addition

I'll admit im totally marking out for aew but the chair shot was unnecessary.

The media scrums are a brilliant idea

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Bucks are saying the chair was gimmicked, but the spot went wrong, with the he support clipping the back of Cody’s head accidental. Shame, btput I’d still say even the illusion of the unprotected headshot was stupid.

Arguably, it would have been more effective if it had been a longer time till it happened. Establish the “norm” with chair shots and then have a vicious, gimmicked chair shot they too drive home as unforgivable. I guess, though, that it’s made everyone talk about Tye Dillinger so that’s a win.

Mostly came for Moxley vs Janela, and got exactly the hardcore match I wanted. Brutal in all the right ways.

Production looked better than last show too. Overall, I’m enjoying it

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Bucks are saying the chair was gimmicked, but the spot went wrong, with the he support clipping the back of Cody’s head accidental. Shame, btput I’d still say even the illusion of the unprotected headshot was stupid.

Arguably, it would have been more effective if it had been a longer time till it happened. Establish the “norm” with chair shots and then have a vicious, gimmicked chair shot they too drive home as unforgivable. I guess, though, that it’s made everyone talk about Tye Dillinger so that’s a win.

Mostly came for Moxley vs Janela, and got exactly the hardcore match I wanted. Brutal in all the right ways.

Production looked better than last show too. Overall, I’m enjoying it

Loved that match.
    Janela is doing so well recently and Mox is everything both he and Aew needed him to be on leaving wwe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭ThePott

Great show again, another one in like 2 weeks.

Darby Allin is a star for sure. MJF on the mic is amazing. The Moxley/Janella match was outstanding and the Omega beatdown was great too.
    Gonna parrot what everyone has said about the unprotected chair shot, that was nasty and not needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

how come cody ended up bleeding from the back of his head when the chair shot he took was to the top of the head? ****ty blading job?

montyrebel wrote: »
    how come cody ended up bleeding from the back of his head when the chair shot he took was to the top of the head? ****ty blading job?

Appears the back of the chair (Folding Part) caught him

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

montyrebel wrote: »

https://m.imgur.com/a/xE0NsHD

In the picture, you can see the back support of the chair caught him in the back of the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

That was an absolute embarrassment of a show. If WWE, or TNA in the Russo era, put out a show like that they would be rightly slaughtered. And I thought it was pathetic Bryan Alvarez basically took a pass on criticizing that utter turd of a pre-show effort with Nakazawa when he's made a name bashing WWE and TNA nonsense. Sickening the way he and Meltzer have turned into fanboys rather than attempting to be journalists.

Then the chair shot from the supposedly progressive company. :pac:

But not to worry, the Young Bucks have told everyone it was a gimmicked chair. "It's all phony, fake bullsh*t, folks. Don't take this stuff seriously cos we don't."

How people are invested in this garbage I do not know. These guys are total marks for themselves. The only positive about it was MJF. He needs to get away from this clown circus for the sake of his career.

Thumbs way down.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,174 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

MJF is leaps and bounds ahead of anyone I've seen so far in AEW in terms of personality.

Dave Meltzer's got his Star ratings, Mr. Nice Guy has his Thumbs Down ratings :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,182 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

The chair shot felt like try hard stuff to differentiate themselves from the established American product. I think they'll learn from it. If the chair was "gimmicked" they obviously made an arse of it.

As for these points raised by Mr. Nice Guy. And I'm sure someone else more wordier than me will tackle his post.
    It's all phony, fake bullsh*t, folks. Don't take this stuff seriously cos we don't.
    How people are invested in this garbage I do not know.

It's all just entertainment at days end, much like soaps and films, something to talk about/discuss.

First time seeing Darby in a match and only knew of him after watching The Wrestlers this week. Thought he put on a good match.

2 things I noticed: The presentation/production seemed to be improved. They're learning as they go it seems. And JR's commentary was much improved.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Darby was at OTT's Wrestlerama last weekend and put on a great show there too. Some talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Watched the event not pre show

Cima v Daniels was a good contest i think daniels is looking alot older mainly because well he is. His attire is atrocious but decent bout. No real heat in the match and i found that a constant throughout the event with no real heel v face dynamic

Nyla v Riho V yuka, i didnt enjoy i found the dynamic between big and small not really making it a believable contest Nyla is huge compared to the really small oppoenents, another issue i found throughout the event.

Fatel four way was ok MJF was great, only real standout, Jungle boy once again to small to be in the ring with some guys, Jimmy Havoc a bit wasted and fekt like filler, for a guy that is meant to have a mystique about him , he didnt have any here

Cody V Darby was great, match of the night, really got the big guy small guy dynamic right, the injured hand was unique. Cody once again telling a great story. Finished timed well. The chair spot i have no real issue with, just the guy swinging the chair, Tye Dillinger is as generic as they come. However fantastic match, dont get MJF coming out, as to me he only real heel in company, no one else.

Elite v Kid and Lucha Bros was fun, not as good as double or nothing encounter but fun, once again no heel face dynamic, which i think must be a concious decision. Fenix is something else, Pentagon is intriging , but Fenix the standout.

Moxley v Janela. Fun hardcore match but not a main event calibre one. Janela needs new attire, looked a bit silly against Mox. Difference between big and small leagues is clear when Mox and Janela stand accross the ring from each other. No real story telling just spot after spot, made Moxley look like just another guy

Was intriging event, didnt pick up my phone once during it which i do all to often during wwe events, but was grand event, mixture of styles which is refreshing, Cody v Allin motn. Cody is underrated gem if last two matches are anything to go by. Missed Uncle Jericho.

Jim Ross was great again on commentry during actual matches as was Excalibur.....Kip Sabian didnt snatch his oppurtunity when at the desk for fatal four way

Yeah, I didn't understand MJF coming down to check on Cody. Seemed completely out of character, from what we know of him. Unless he's helping himself by checking on the boss.

And one complaint I have about the Elite match was a number of times it was obvious they were setting up for a move.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,878 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Yeah, I didn't understand MJF coming down to check on Cody. Seemed completely out of character, from what we know of him. Unless he's helping himself by checking on the boss.

And one complaint I have about the Elite match was a number of times it was obvious they were setting up for a move.

I thought the same at first until Sean Ross Sapp tweeted the two lads have some connection but you wouldn't know unless you watch BTE

• Registered Users Posts: 23,174 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I get the impression that his character is just being a kiss ass and trying to get cosy with the top brass. That's why he's "concerned" for Cody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Yeah if you watch BTE you'll see that his concern for Cody is utterly disingenuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

im guessing there building up him to turn on cody

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

Mixed bag, this show.

The pre-show was awful. Bad comedy that people have abandoned WWE over. They need a better editor. No way that should have made broadcast.

I thoroughly enjoyed Daniels-Cima. Good opener. ***

I'm not into Nyla Rose, didn't really enjoy that match.

The 4 way was a decent match. Not crazy into multiperson matches but it was fine. **1/2

I can't get into the Young Bucks. They leave me cold and always have. I just find all the spots numbing. I can objectively tell you it was a good match but I was mostly uninterested. Can't really rate it.

I loved Cody - Darby. Cody has an old school charisma and an old fashioned means of drawing you in with his nuances. Loved the match and the angle. ****

Hated Moxley-Ambrose as much as I've hated anything in a long time. This just isn't what pro wrestling is, or should be to me. Violence for the sake of violence. It's not even like it was the blow off of a huge feud. Just a random first time match that involved about 10 tables, 3 or 4 barb wire gimmicks, tacks etc. Felt like watching backyard wrestling. An embarrassment for all involved. -*****

I have hope for the company. They are all over the map but I expect by the time they get to TV some of the kinks may be worked out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

That was another great event.

The pre-show was a tad silly but the tag match was good and Private Party are future stars. AEW seems to have decided to confine all the comedy stuff to the pre-show and that's a great idea.

The rest of the card was fantastic. There wasn't a single bad match and it covered pretty much every style of pro-wrestling.

If you didn't enjoy it then you deserve to be one of the 4 people who is still putting themselves through enduring Corbin vs. Reigns #264 or Lacey Evans Botchfest #51.

lawlolawl wrote: »
    AEW seems to have decided to confine all the comedy stuff to the pre-show and that's a great idea.

I strongly disagree with this.

I considered watching Double or Nothing live and buying it on PPV. The pre-show was poor so I decided to go to bed and find another way to watch it the next day.

I was watching Fyter Fest on B/R Live and while it was free either way, I did again decide to just watch it the next day after watching the garbage pre-show.

The point being a pre-show is supposed to whet your appetite so you stick around/purchase the main show. I feel comfortable saying that anyone who is on the fence is not going to be encouraged to lay down their money after watching that garbage.

Monokne wrote: »
    I strongly disagree with this.

I considered watching Double or Nothing live and buying it on PPV. The pre-show was poor so I decided to go to bed and find another way to watch it the next day.

I was watching Fyter Fest on B/R Live and while it was free either way, I did again decide to just watch it the next day after watching the garbage pre-show.

The point being a pre-show is supposed to whet your appetite so you stick around/purchase the main show. I feel comfortable saying that anyone who is on the fence is not going to be encouraged to lay down their money after watching that garbage.

Pre shows have never been used for this. WWE pre-shows are routinely the worst **** ever and simply couldn't entice anyone to buy a PPV.

Also, if you didn't want to stick around after the 3 way tag on the Fyter Fest per-show then i think pro-wrestling probably isn't for you.

It's a place for a promotion to put their silly/less popular stuff on TV for the hardcore fans in the hope that it will catch on with other fans and transition to a main card angle.

lawlolawl wrote: »
    Pre shows have never been used for this. WWE pre-shows are routinely the worst **** ever and simply couldn't entice anyone to buy a PPV.

Also, if you didn't want to stick around after the 3 way tag on the Fyter Fest per-show then i think pro-wrestling probably isn't for you.

It's a place for a promotion to put their silly/less popular stuff on TV for the hardcore fans in the hope that it will catch on with other fans and transition to a main card angle.

This is not true in any way, shape, or form. I am sure you know that too.

Track down any of the countdown/free for all WWF pre-shows in the 90's and 00's.

Also, just because WWE's now are not particularly good, that doesn't mean they are not designed to entice you to buy. They are littered with packages & promos for the nights matches, for that specific purpose of trying to convince you to watch the main show.

The 3 way tag was a distant memory after the Librarian nonsense and whatever that was with Jebailey & Nakazawa.

Monokne wrote: »
    This is not true in any way, shape, or form. I am sure you know that too.

Track down any of the countdown/free for all WWF pre-shows in the 90's and 00's.

Also, just because WWE's now are not particularly good, that doesn't mean they are not designed to entice you to buy. They are littered with packages & promos for the nights matches, for that specific purpose of trying to convince you to watch the main show.

The 3 way tag was a distant memory after the Librarian nonsense and whatever that was with Jebailey & Nakazawa.

I didn't even know they did pre-shows in the 90s and 00s, i presumed it was only a thing since the WWE Network started. They must have been really great and memorable.

The Librarian stuff was admittedly terrible but the Nakazawa match was fun (he's a comedy wrestler, remember fun wrestling?) and you you should probably get checked out by your GP if you forgot how good that tag match was.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Michael Nakazawa is the man. He is actually a really good wrestler. Look past the comedy spots.
    It appears he is 43 but I dunno. I can see him getting a spot in NXT for a while if he moved on from AEW.

Am calling it baby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Michael Nakazawa is the man. He is actually a really good wrestler. Look past the comedy spots.
    It appears he is 43 but I dunno. I can see him getting a spot in NXT for a while if he moved on from AEW.

Am calling it baby.

ive only seen his aew spots and not seeing it

Advertisement