Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Still a bit surreal to see pro-wrestling in Arthur Ashe, the place looked class.

What else can you say, I genuinely think Danielson/Omega might be the best TV pro-wrestling match ever. Incredible stuff.

Black going over Cody was definitely the right decision. The tag match was so good, Darby is a lunatic. Good stuff putting the Womens championship match in the main event too.

It's great to have a pro-wrestling show that makes you smile when watching, rather than a sports entertainment show that insults your intelligence, hurts your brain and makes you feel embarrassed to watch. TK saved pro-wrestling!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I commented recently wrestling in AEW moves at a much faster, more fluid pace that what I'm used to seeing on tv. It's very enjoyable to consume.

I have to say when AEW started it felt like more of a vanity project for Cody Rhodes than the other Elite members, then Cody started the over the top entrances (the sledgehammer to the throne bit was groan worthy) and I was worried it was going to be the Cody Rhodes show. I'm happy to admin I got it wrong.

Cody has put over talent at the right time, I'm enjoying his feud with Black and love how Black has two victories over him and I enjoy Cody is only dipping in and out and not the main feature. I really like Arn's coach gimmick, a nice twist instead of the traditional manager role. In saying that it is now time for Cody to turn heel.

Great show last night, Bryan/Omega was epic, some way to start, love the tag match too, I could watch FTR all day long, they just get tag team wrestling. The rest of the card was solid as well, but for me the 2nd biggest thing after Bryan/Omega was the crowd, when was the last time you've heard a crowd that red hot for that long? Wrestling really is nothing without the fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Great show. First match was great, crowd were great but to me the best thing was Sting. That man is 62 years old, been out of wrestling for a while, has had injuries and he was incredible. Moves like someone half his age. I know some of that is FTR making him look like that and Darby taking enough bumps for both of them together, but it was incredible imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,169 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Match was amazing, few if any are as intense as Bryan and nothing wrong with the draw. It was smart to have the two of them being evenly matched for the first match.

No need for the Elite rubbish afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

I stayed up last night and I regret nothing. I cannot remember 2 hours going by so quickly in my life. It was a thrill to watch on TV, I cannot imagine how great a crowd and occasion that must have been to be apart of.

I loved Omega/Danielson. A molten hot crowd, a gorgeous story beautifully worked, the right finish, the significance of the moment, everything about it perfect. As noted, they didn't do the big hot closing stretch, this was a battle of wills in a greater war, a generational rivalry with the best North American pro wrestler of the late 2000's and early 2010's against the best North American pro wrestler of the mid-late 2010's to current day. I rant enough about Omega, you know what I think, but here was the American Dragon Bryan Danielson, no underdog story, no whacky heel gimmick, no double edged compliments from commentary, no "Yes Man", this was the American Dragon wrestling, kicking, punching, bumping like a maniac, a monster performance from a uniquely gifted pro wrestler. It does not get better than this. *****

Would it be wrong to call this one of the best editions of a weekly pro wrestling show ever? I honestly don't think it would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Im struggling to think of a better TV match. Im open to debate, but I can't think of a better tv match.

Their PPV match could be the greatest match ever. Sorry Randy\Edge

• Registered Users Posts: 60,598 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

60 minute iron man on PPV that ends in a tie and goes to 30 minute sudden death.

Im never a huge fan of Ironman matches, but they could change my opinion.

The had arguably the best TV match ever with a 2 week build, no title on the line.... its some feat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

I'll say too, I'm an absolute mark for the finish they did. No overly dramatic, contrived submission spot at the bell, no 2 count and the bell rings before 3, they were just brawling stiff like they had done the entire match. Not wanting to get carried away but it was pure art. If you've been conditioned by sports entertainment these past 20+ years, you may not have liked the finish but some of the best matches I've ever seen have had similar finishes, not only did it make sense from a business standpoint but it fit so well with the story of the match itself. A+

And the Elite doing the triple superkick post match was *chefs kiss*

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Same as you, morning after the debut.

got a letter in the letterbox yesterday asking me to pay about a fiver in customs, and it was delivered this morning.

• Advertisement

I got my letter just now. 3 shirts, 3 euro charge

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

Fantastic match with Bryan and Omega and I had no issue with how it ended. I know Cody is busy behind the scenes but hope they do something with his on screen character soon enough. He’s such a natural heel that surely it’s a matter of time before he aligns with the Elite

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Before the show I would have been sceptical about the time limit draw for Omega/Bryan, it required a 5 star match leaving you wanting more and is now setup for the inevitable title match at Full Gear. Like other people I was in shock when they announced it was coming up to the 30 minute time limit it flew by it was so absorbing to watch these guys

Overall a really great Dynamite another landmark night for AEW

I wasnt expecting a 5 star match, it was a tv match after all. I knew they were capable of a 5 star but they could have booked it so many ways.

Their handling of the match was perfect. IMO a flawless match.

What does the future hold? God knows. I still feel Hangman is the man to take Omega down. Bryan coming in and putting Omega over eventually would be my postion.

Also biggest live attendance for a now WWE show in North America since WCW in the geogia dome.

TNA never came close to it. Thats some achievement in a short space of time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Vince can deny it all he wants but AEW are direct competition for WWE.

WWE are still ahead in terms of profit, numbers on Friday nights, merc slaes, worldwide brand appeal

But that gap is slowly closing.

Look at AEWs metrics, viewers slowly rising on average, merch sales rising week after week, great tv deals, impressive demo numbers. All rising

WWEs figures have been either steady or falling in the months they came back live.

Year after year their numbers decline. Years of pushing their audience away will come home to roost in the nect few years if this continues and its freakin awesome.

Around $1m from ticket sales as well according to Brandon Thurston would also make it one of the highest US wrestling history the only other non WWE wrestling show to hit the $1m gate was the ROH/NJPW Supershow in MSG two years ago.

I've said this along time ago and I will stick to this, I don't see a way back for WWE. It's all downhill from here. I can see them selling up soon and whoever buys it will strip it to bare bones.

I also loved that they opened the show with the match just like they did with Punk’s debut.

No teasing or wasting time for the whole show.

Just give the fans what they came for straight off the bat.

• Advertisement

And what a waste of a huge asset it woukd become.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

It's been an amazing two years or so for AEW and it has really solid foundations now. They're only going to make more money from here on in when TV deals etc are up for renewal. Hopefully they can start touring overseas soon and build up the brand in other countries. If they came to the UK I'd definitely try and get over to it.

I'll be first in line for a ticket to craven cottage

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I thought Smackdown and Rampage overlap this week but unless Smackdown runs late, that won't happen.

How long until AEW tries to compete directly with one of WWE's main shows? Or will they bother?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

One of the great things about AEW is the lack of recap videos of stuff you literally saw before the break three minutes ago etc., as other companies love to do. Do they think their viewers have the memory of a goldfish?

Like you said no wasting time in AEW and no insulting the fans intelligence, love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭titan18

They'd best stay away from doing something like that, particularly Smackdown. You might be able to go up against Raw nowadays with how awful it's been but you're also going up against MNF in that case and that doesn't seem likely with the owners.

Would feel weird moving Dynamite off of Wednesdays now but a Tuesday/Thursday slot if Rampage moves to 2 hours down the line is probably the best for them.

The one credit I will give WWE is those Moments ago, or earlier tonight are not so much a WWE thing but an American TV thing, alot of American shows have them after tv breaks, especially for gameshows and reality tv shows.

Saying that AEW is excellent for not hammering us over the head by using them to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

The merch lines at the show yesterday were unlike anything I've ever seen, they were absolutely picked clean and everyone leaving the building had a bag of stuff. Merch will eclipse ticket revenue for sure in this case I think.

The feel good factor after the show was amazing too, despite 5 hours of show and all the heat/humidity, the trains back into Manhattan were hopping with chants and singalongs all the way back. It was hilarious and reminded me of the Raw after mania with the Fandango chants. My train cart did a full rendition of Judas, Tarzan Boy, Adam Cole chants and Nakamuras theme 😂 some videos on reddit of it all.

Rampage is a fantastic show too so def check it out. GCW now tonight and off to LA in the morn. Wrecked already!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,182 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Just noticed this lord....this is what I was sent for 38 euro by AEW shop europe

Not bothered complaining as I understand the demand was extreme, but I won't be ordering another shirt. When you see the shirts lads are wearing in the crowds the attached is just so poor.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Jaysus Wolf, that's not good enough. I had been hovering about buying some stuff from them - will need to use the US store cause they don't do fat bastard sizes in the globals store, but if that's what they're sending out, then no thanks. I'm glad AEW beat those ProWrestlingTees people at Softball now :P

Advertisement