Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

The takes on the number have been awful, and wrong. The overall viewership is OK considering what you've noted in that post and the 0.40 demo number is an excellent number and, off the top of my head, must rank in the top 15 say of demi numbers that Dynamite has ever done?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭kksaints

It's a good number after the Saturday shows and what was a solid if not spectacular looking card beforehand. There were also some other sports clashing I think. As long as the figures don't go back to the 700k-750k average when Nxt was clashing or lower I'd say they will be happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,169 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I don't care about the outfits or goofiness. The Page reveal was funny. I care that they've done Elite vs Job Squad loads of times now. It's dead, stop doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,681 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I'd have said Cole's personality is exactly at the cross section of those two things... he's an arrogant heel, but he's also a goofball - both of these things are firmly baked into his character. Same with the Bucks. They do this comedy stuff, but ultimately it works (imo) because when it comes down to it they're absolutely brilliant in the ring, and utterly ruthless when they need to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Excalibur's call of "Who is the stay puft marshmallow man?!" has had me in bits for days, best bit of wrestling comedy in a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Found this on the SquaredCircle sub, a page from Moxley's book on Brodie Lee

The shot of an unmasked, angry Hangman standing behind Matt Jackson is also perfection, and maybe an unintentional meme to boot.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Punk interview added to tonights show, which should mean an interruption. Hopefully they are going to give him a meatier feud now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Yep. He definitely needs something more substantial to work with soon. If his rumoured opponent for Full Gear pans out then that would seem to be another short term thing. Maybe we will have to wait until after Full Gear to see him in a proper feud.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭titan18

The interview segment last night for Punk would be a good match for Full Gear. Could spin that longer as there's an easy tag match to make too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Well they went with a pissed off Kingston in the end, I really hope they follow up on it cause that would be an awesome feud

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭ThePott

Okay Rampage.

Main event match was decent even though Abadon doesn't do much for me but I did enjoy the match. Danielson and Kingston was excellent too.

That Punk/Eddie segment though. Hook it to my veins, the promos could be insane. Hope this is the start of a proper programme for Punk.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,871 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Had to turn the main event off with Chris "I love shouting" Jericho on commentary. Who knew there's something worse out there than Michael Cole and his catchphrases.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭orecir

They have really and truly dropped the ball with Punks return.

The hottest return in the history of pro wrestling and he's nowhere near the title picture or main even scene. A true waste.

He should be facing the likes of Cole, omega, danielson and moxley.

Eddie Kingston is all sorts of meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,169 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Kingston is an alright feud for him, at least it's an actual feud and not random nothing matches on AEW Velocity against mid-carders.

Needs to be a proper big name feud after Kingston though. I'd like him vs Bryan. Have Bryan talk about how he's been going full pelt from his AEW debut, facing big names while Punk is just chatting with Schiavone most weeks. Talk about how Bryan is still going at full intensity even after he came back from retirement while Punk is coasting after sitting out for 7 years. That'll bring out bitter, aggressive Punk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,187 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Eddie is so so in the ring but **** me how can I wrestling fan not be excited about hearing them joust on the microphone. Arguably two of the best promos in AEW and both are up there overall in the game right now promo wise.

It needs to be a proper feud though as I haven't been a fan of Punk drifting from one match to the next. His first big feud has to happen sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Kingston gives the opportunity for Moxley too though, and there's a pretty obvious Punk - Bryan teamup to face Moxley and Kingston since singles matches for both will likely be on Full Gear. Good way to get Moxley and Kingston booed are against Punk and Danielson (and then Moxley will be booed massively against Page).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

The Kingston is meh take is not an accurate one.

How can you not love him and Danielson beat eachother senseless. The raw emotion that man possesses is just unrivaled.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Only issue with Kingston v Punk is that I don't want either to work heel. Kingston ever, Punk not yet...

They dont have to, they can both be cool guys and hate eachother.

Eddies been face ages now and hasnt changed is character when he turned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭Riddle101

It's interesting to me that CM Punk is wrestling the same wrestlers as Bryan Danielson? Bryan wrestled Bobby Fish last week, and this week Punk is wrestling him. This week Bryan wrestled Eddie Kingston, and it looks like they are setting up Punk and Kingston as well. Are they building something between them or are they just playing off of each other?

I keep thinking that something is brewing between Punk and Bryan. Whether it be a tag team forming or a feud I don't know but it can't be just a coincidence it?

Mox and Eddie v Punk and Bryan might be a future match. Wouldnt say no to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Sure. If you're only interested in a once-off match, it's not a problem.

But, for example, look at the programme you can build with a proper heel-face dynamic, like they've done wonderfully with Deeb and Shida.

Deeb heels it up and spoils the party in the first match. Shida finally gets her 50th win in a great rematch, but Deeb banjaxes her leg afterwards. This presumably costs Shida the tournament, setting up the third blow-off match.

It's these kind of multi-match angles that I'd love to see integrated more into the AEW main event pictures (both men and women), and it's just a lot easier when you have a clear heel and babyface.

There was an interesting snippet of what direction they might go with a kinda-heel Punk in the interview... his "I'm disappointed in you" thing to Kingston could be a gateway for a version of Punk that's arrogantly and self-rightously holding AEW up to these massive standards, and talking down to everyone he feels doesn't meet them.

Can't believe nobody is talking about how good Danielson/Kingston was. An absolute, certifiable banger.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Have to say it was a fairly enjoyable Dynamite/Rampage last week imo. Punk vs Fish was a great start, tbh I always felt Fish was the one left behind in the UE but he can really go in the ring. I do agree Punk does need a proper feud but its not the right time for him to be put in the title picture yet until the ring rust is 100% gone or maybe till they turn him heel which will be inevitable.

MJF vs Darby is building nicely to Full Gear and should be a great match at the PPV, also loving the slow build to Wardlow turning face.

Page vs Sammy was another really good match, it was clear Sammy wasn't going to lose but still a great match.

Deeb vs Shida was fantastic, both have so much chemistry and with feuds like this it will help AEW promote their women's division which has been hit and miss. Clearly Shida will lose to Nyla due to the post match attack (even though I'm bored of Nyla at this stage but if it helps the Shida/Deeb feud I'm ok with it). I'm already looking forward to their rubber match.

Mox vs 10 , I thought would go a bit longer then Mox's last few squashes but they seem to be building up for a heel turn with Mox or maybe just tweener, but the match made sense. Cant see him running through OC or Bryan but both matches will be good to see.

The whole Cody/Pac/Black/Andrade thing is a weird combination of people but im totally interested in it especially when you can easily build a feud with Pac/Cody Pac/Black Andrade/Cody. Cody's promo was good even though he said he would never turn heel I can totally see it happening.

The Dark Order vs The Elite was brilliant, I know people said it was silly or shouldnt have been the main even but imo it totally deserved it since its building towards their biggest match between Omega/Page. Also with it being Halloween it made it more interesting with the whole dress up thing, I totally popped with Page's reveal . It wasnt a total comedy angle which it could have been but it made perfect sense to get Page over even more. The Omega vs Page match should steal the show at Full Gear especially with it being a year in the making Page has to win the title.

Rampage also started with a great match between Eddie/Bryan along with more aggression from Bryan. Post match with Punk/Kingston was great and will be another great match at Full Gear, I'd love to see the feud last longer and as mentioned lead to Mox/Eddie vs Bryan/Punk match or feud.

Dante vs Sydal was another decent match, Martin has really improved over the last year since on his singles run, it's a nice feud which might lead to the return of Top Flight(when is his brother due back??)

Britt vs Abadon ok, didnt totally blow me away but it wasnt a bad hardcore match but maybe should have had Bryan vs Eddi as the Main Event.

They intentionally book Rampage backwards so that the real main event is at 10pm when most eyes will be on it.

So happy for Eddie Kingston he is what I love about pro wrestling he grabbed his chance in the TNT open challenge and is now one of the most engaging characters in wrestling today that match against the American Dragon was top class hard hitting wrestling at its very best.

Daniel Garcia's AEW Unrestricted podcast appearance.

• Advertisement

Comes across as such a good guy!

Schiavone seemed weirdly disengaged for a lot of that interview, though did kinda grow into it in the last 20 minutes.

Advertisement