Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'd imagine any Impact or western NJPW viewers watch AEW, but there'd be a lot who watch AEW or WWE and none of the others.

Jay White is interesting as anyone whos been watching NJPW when Omega and Young Bucks were there will be aware of him but covid has really stalled his career as he wasn't going over to Japan so been stuck on Impact and Strong. He's too highly thought of for him to come in lose matches or give away feuds as well so he's really stalled.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,682 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

For the Sammy segment, do you mean the cards thing? He does that all the time - it's for the picture-in-picture commercial breaks so you can still read the text while hearing the commercials audio.

I don't particularly like it, but that's almost entirely cause it's Sammy. If it was someone else it's a good way of keeping the storytelling/show moving, since you can still fully engage with it during the ads. it's harder to focus on actual wrestling stuff when the screen is tiny and there's no audio.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

I'd rather watch the ads. Can they not put Tay out there instead?!

I was delighted when the Punk/Mox vs FTR tag was set up for later in the night. Thought for sure that they would set it for next week on Dynamite. I said a few weeks ago that I'd like to see them set up matches for later in the show now and again to mix it up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Was the first time I saw it and I thought it was awful 😅

Reminded me of this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,169 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

A chair to the back of his head while he's doing it would be peak comedy.

Those cards are pretty much the only thing in AEW I fast forward through. Just a terrible idea. Sammy's not charismatic enough to pull that off.

That's fine and dandy to the viewers that know who is who and what is what.

But to the uninitiated/casual viewer tuning in, they're left scratching their head, and not in a good way.

Keith Lee was presented as a big deal. A casual viewer, who may not know much/anything about him will watch his debut and think "OK, this fella is a big deal, I want to see where this leads."

A casual viewer seeing Jay White are thinking "Who is this fella, and why is he hanging around with Junior Cert students?"

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Yet you could also say for those uninitiated/casuals, they could've seen that segment and have also been intrigued by it, you can be left scratching your head in a good way too with a Show, Don't Tell.

• Advertisement

Thing is, I'm not sure who actually would be... Punk doing a Voice of the Voiceless thing maybe? Like I see where Rebel is coming from but it's just all a bit daft. And the rest of the show (well the Cargill match was a little sloppy but meh) was excellent so there's really no need for it imo anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,275 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

You know whose English has come on leaps and bounds is Andrade.

Fair play to him and I'm loving him at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭nazmoalex

Malakai Black should be the one to end Sammy card gig by jumping him and burning the cards.

Enjoyed the show, main event was class. Darby kinda corpsed there with the twiddle dumb line, it was funny to be fair.

On the surprises, they'd be better off not announcing them beforehand. Or at least stop Tony Kahn from being the person to hype them up. Let it happen on screen through a storyline. Like if Switchblade just walked out without the warning, it would have been cooler.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So Cole now has Kyle and Bobby on one side, Bucks on another and now White comes in?

(And I'm not going to include the BTE stuff)

Speaking of BTE, I wonder will we get a reference to Keith's pounce on Adam into the fans in that at least since it'll unlikely happen on any of the tv shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,682 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

There's a balance to maintain I suppose... they tease them because they want people tuning in for it, getting the ratings up. But he could've been a bit more subtle about it (or as you say, have it not be him directly).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Dynamite did it's largest viewership in four months, it's best numbers on TBS and ranked number one for cable originals on the night which seems decent enough.

Of course if you read the contributions from some of the experts on Boards you'll know that AEW is a terrible pro- wrestling company, hitting TNA 2010 levels of awfulness, and Khan has no idea what he's doing, but still they must be doing something right!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,169 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

No doubt you'll have the usual suspects complaining about the debuts but they're only looking for something to give out about.

Of course if you read the contributions from some of the experts on Boards you'll know that AEW is a terrible pro- wrestling company, hitting TNA 2010 levels of awfulness, and Khan has no idea what he's doing, but still they must be doing something right!

Why don't you just come out and name these people and can the passive aggressive trolling?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Davy05

Another fantastic show this week. Keith Lee looked really impressive on his debut and if you didn't know who he was then that reaction and match showed you he is a big deal.

One of the things AEW does lack is more people of colour and also truly impressive big men who can go. I know they have Powerhouse Hobbs, Wardlow and Brian Cage, but Lee feels like a step above them.

The tag match and main event were both PPV quality matches and I've lost track of how often i say that now. It really is a great time to be a wrestling fan.

• Advertisement

I watched MJF's entrance and segment again earlier as I was kind of half asleep for it on Wednesday. He's brilliant, such a punchable heel, and so is what they're doing with Wardlow. I see that was actually his girlfriend that he was smooching too. Nice looking girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,182 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

More POC in the main event would be a fair request and they will get there (they're commitment to long term storytelling is taking precedence right now), but I don't think they have an overall problem at all when it comes to POC or diversity.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Can you show us some posts to support this claim? I haven't seen anything to support this theory of yours.

Punk would work, so would MJF. If Starks, Hobbs and Hook came out and did it, I think it'd work too as all you need is that Hobbs snarl, Starks just being Starks and Hook eating and it works.

Sammy's not charismatic enough and not a good enough actor to pull it off at all.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

The card thing Sammy does - it's massively social media friendly. Most people who look at video content on their social media feed do so without volume enabled, so putting subtitles on a video is crucial if it's got dialogue (this is the field I work in). It's not exciting or particularly engaging for me, but it's a clever means of getting screen time where there's usually just some dead air, but also making sure it can be shared and seen by as many eyeballs as possible.

I don't know who Jay White is and I am really uninterested because of how he's been presented in that segment. They've let themselves and the performer down badly here all because TK couldn't manage his excitement. It was shoddy

I think the Serena Deeb 5 minute challenge, whilst a little trope-y, could produce some real gold over the next few weeks. More of her on my screen please!

He never has anything to say that's of any interest though. That's my main problem with it. We don't need to hear from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

There was a random Dark dropped on YouTube last night if you're looking for more AEW. Including an Abadon match, who I hadn't seen in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,598 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Kenny & The Bucks vs Cole & reDRagon vs. White & G.O.D

• Registered Users Posts: 54,275 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭rodders999

Hangman crashing down on the side of the steel steps looked absolutely brutal, great match.

Advertisement